Sean White named starting QB

WarTiger

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Edit: Just to make certain, the first part clearly wasn't directed at you, or AuCivil.

:comfort: ...  :cheers:

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Unfortunately, I disagree Gus is the best schemer in the game. I used to think that way after 2009, 2010 & 2013, but no longer. Why would he visit Baylor if he was

Coaches visit other programs all the time. It has nothing to do with whether or not Gus is the best schemer in the game or not. Frankly. I'm pleased Gus isn't falling into the thinking that he knows everything. People with that attitude don't usually last long.

Thus, we're starting a 4th string Gus choice.

He won the job and he's the QB. Whining about moot points doesn't change anything. I am going to let SW at least have an opportunity to prove his doubters wrong before I call him a "4th string guy"

If he fails to hire Briles, he's a sitting duck and we're likely looking for a new HC. It's that cut & dry.

Let me guess..you own a Magic Eightball. Am I right? Give it a rest. You've already got Gus fired and we haven't played a game yet.

How do you know this? Not saying you are wrong, but this is beyond an extraordinary claim...HIPAA laws and all. How do you know?

Are you new? Info from PTB can be taken as truth

I haven't seen anything on here lately to make me optimistic or worried. I have no idea how this game or this season goes. I like SW if he is healthy but no idea about WRs or Rbs for that matter. With all the critique of SW, I can't understand how we could have gone in any other direction. JJ is JJ. JFlll is fast and confident and from any other information available to me I can't find any other evidence that he can play qb in big time college football. I have no desire to argue this because it is just a feel. I do welcome any effort to show what I am missing.

Okay, I just went to "War Eagle Sports Radio" and listened to Barrett Sallee's prediction.  Before you scoff or say "yeah?" I pay ZERO attention to predictions (been an AU fan way too long to fall for that junk).

However, what stood out to me (and I'm not looking it up......just taking his word for it, maybe StatTiger has this info handy?) is that he said when Carl Lawson was playing, AU's defense averaged giving up 389 yds per game...... When you add that statistic, plus my eyes as I watched the games, I don't normally put so much emphasis on 1 player, but IF IF IF IF IF Carl can stay healthy?  He's a transcendent talent, much like Pat, Bo or Cam, but on DEFENSE!  

If CL stays healthy, I cannot WAIT to see what 2016 has in store for our Tigers!

WDE!!!

....maybe this is worthy of it's own thread (maybe not) or at least on a defense thread (for sure) but apparently everybody's on the QB threads for now.....so here it is.

9 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

Okay, I just went to "War Eagle Sports Radio" and listened to Barrett Sallee's prediction.  Before you scoff or say "yeah?" I pay ZERO attention to predictions (been an AU fan way too long to fall for that junk).

However, what stood out to me (and I'm not looking it up......just taking his word for it, maybe StatTiger has this info handy?) is that he said when Carl Lawson was playing, AU's defense averaged giving up 389 yds per game...... When you add that statistic, plus my eyes as I watched the games, I don't normally put so much emphasis on 1 player, but IF IF IF IF IF Carl can stay healthy?  He's a transcendent talent, much like Pat, Bo or Cam, but on DEFENSE!  

If CL stays healthy, I cannot WAIT to see what 2016 has in store for our Tigers!

WDE!!!

....maybe this is worthy of it's own thread (maybe not) or at least on a defense thread (for sure) but apparently everybody's on the QB threads for now.....so here it is.

Not to keep us off topic, but Carl is just a piece in what should be a very attractive puzzle, this year.  Not only do we have him as a huge impact player, but we have what should be NFL level talent starting opposite him, which we really didn't have last year.  We also have Monty who, as a senior, has something to prove, so he should be giving 100%, 100% of the time.  Finally, we have several other really promising players either starting or rotating in... enough to keep the line fresh for 4 quarters... a luxury we haven't really had since 2010.

If our D gives up 400+ yards, this year, it will be really disappointing. I would love to see us keep the max under 350... and I'd think the most yards we give up all season should be Saturday.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Not to keep us off topic, but Carl is just a piece in what should be a very attractive puzzle, this year.  Not only do we have him as a huge impact player, but we have what should be NFL level talent starting opposite him, which we really didn't have last year.  We also have Monty who, as a senior, has something to prove, so he should be giving 100%, 100% of the time.  Finally, we have several other really promising players either starting or rotating in... enough to keep the line fresh for 4 quarters... a luxury we haven't really had since 2010.

If our D gives up 400+ yards, this year, it will be really disappointing. I would love to see us keep the max under 350... and I'd think the most yards we give up all season should be Saturday.

Agree with everything you just said!  Just add to that the leadership and inspiration that CL seems to bring his teammates (not to mention the potential leadership of some others on the defense this year) and I'm VERY stoked for an AUsome defensive season!

War Eagle!

16 hours ago, VipersStrike1 said:

Like it or not, QB IS the biggest part of a Gus offense, ESPECIALLY now that our Top 3 RBs are gone, regardless if Jovon would have gained 200 or 2000 yards this season.

Now an off-tackle RB / Wildcat QB is listed as RB1. A FB is listed as RB2.

Gus' offense demands a RB to run off-Center nearly every carry. As many have stated on this board, Kerryon is not believed to transition well to that kind of back. I do believe Pettway can. 20+ carries/game like Gus' bellcow requires? Remains to be seen.

All these question marks at RB further burden the QB. I do not believe White can hold up to the physical demand that it will take to assume so much of the responsibility due to these question marks. Many folks are not taking into account what Barber & Jovon did to relieve White last season. They lifted a HUGE burden off White's shoulders many times.

It's like asking Marshall to drop his speed to 4.7, lose his quickness and ability to detect contact, and function without Mason, CAP, Barber & Jovon, but instead with an off-tackle RB and FB

It's severely handicapping the offense.

cool-story-bro-house-Cool-Story-Bro.jpg

If everyone on this board would just block Viper and maybe one or two others, this board would be tolerable. People like this have pretty much ruined the football board. I believe it's been over a month since I posted because of this sissy complaining crap. Man I hope this crap stops or at least becomes bearable after football starts. It's ridiculously pathetic.  /rant

6 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

If everyone on this board would just block Viper and maybe one or two others, this board would be tolerable. People like this have pretty much ruined the football board. I believe it's been over a month since I posted because of this sissy complaining crap. Man I hope this crap stops or at least becomes bearable after football starts. It's ridiculously pathetic.  /rant

How do you do that?

I like that idea.

4 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

How do you do that?

I like that idea.

Hover your pointer over the person's name in their profile to the left of their post, and there is an Ignore User option at the bottom. 

Is the fact he's offering a different opinion than the majority really that bad? This is like a little high school, haze the person who doesn't see it my way....he's looking stuff up, posting stats, it's not like he's arguing just to argue. He stated something, somebody didn't agree, he responds to that person by posting why he thinks his point is valid. What's the problem?

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Is the fact he's offering a different opinion than the majority really that bad? This is like a little high school, haze the person who doesn't see it my way....he's looking stuff up, posting stats, it's not like he's arguing just to argue. He stated something, somebody didn't agree, he responds to that person by posting why he thinks his point is valid. What's the problem?

I don't know that people object to differing opinions......it's more an issue when some posters get very assertive and eventually defensive.....which causes them to engage in personal attacks to defend their view.....stuff, like "you obviously did not play competitive sports" and other irrelevant commentary that is supposed to make their opinion or position more correct.     

Just suggesting ......its good that when coming upon people whose views differ from our own, it's fine to argue the point and state the opposing view....but not denigrate the other person ......let the person enjoy their viewpoint .....and wait to see what happens over time.....and then nobody gets p*****d.

The issue isn't one or two posts with a differing opinion. The issue to me is two to three MONTHS of B it..ing, degrading the coaching staff and degrading players. Spending every second looking for the darkness in any story about the staff or the QB position battle. It's pathetic, annoying and very unbecoming of an Auburn fan. 

Like 64 said, cole, it's not differing opinions. You and I disagree all the time. 64 and I disagree all the time. Here we are having a conversation. 

I'd explain my thoughts on the matter but it's more effort on my part that the dude is worth. 

Well I admit I didn't read the convo since sw has been named qb because it's go time, we are all about to see....But I know from experience what happens when you don't take the view of the majority. And at times I'm confused when people say this about me because I'm just trying to explain my stance. If I was posting something and didn't believe what I was saying I would be trolling

And I'm the one that has said the haven't ever played before thing, and when I said that it's when au64 said the snippy oh since it was against Kentucky we only count a percentage of a point. I mean when you say things like that you may get rebuttal like that. Tell the ENTIRE story. I don't just say that when someone disagree with me.  If you don't understand playing different quality players which is pretty much the foundation of crowning a champion in all sports, team and individual, then maybe that is a reason why. But sorry if you took that to heart. It was a reaction

But trust me after time pass doesn't help. When whomever is proven right it will be some guy who didn't ever have anything to do with the debate will come in and post about an I told you so or something like that

Sorry Cole...but who ever pays attention to the "I told you so" posts? ....I'm sure not going to go back and see if they are telling the truth....and frankly, what difference does it make who is right on some of these "debates" where we have affect on the outcome...and are usually about nothing important anyway?  

I grew up in the Methodist Church and one of it's most enduring and endearing principles is "  Think and let think".     works here too I bet.

So, instead of coming up with all the reasons why SW sucks, what new wrinkles are you guys excited to see that SWs suppose ability to make every throw could bring?  Let's assume (1) the coaches are telling the truth (2) Gus taking the role of OC back and less of a CEO role will have his mind back to setting up defenses (3) Herb Hand brings some good input. 

Assuming these things are true, what new wrinkles with SW as QB are you expecting it hoping to see?

3 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

So, instead of coming up with all the reasons why SW sucks, what new wrinkles are you guys excited to see that SWs suppose ability to make every throw could bring?  Let's assume (1) the coaches are telling the truth (2) Gus taking the role of OC back and less of a CEO role will have his mind back to setting up defenses (3) Herb Hand brings some good input. 

Assuming these things are true, what new wrinkles with SW as QB are you expecting it hoping to see?

A mid-field passing game would be lovely... as would some deception on the part of the QB ala Chris Todd.  I love a well sold fake.

A lot more running backs / HB's / Tight Ends... releasing off blocks and getting hit in stride on short passes in space... usually with some misdirection involved... and YAC.

Really more of a play action pass based on what we are running... not really a true screen and NOT a bubble, and not just the Wheel routes but probably more of that too... Went back and looked at some older games with some really neat passing (sometimes basically just a long hand off really) to RBs like Mario Fannin in space... quick hitters and nice gains.

Oh and if we aren't running as much zone read with Sean... maybe the misdirection and the threat of the RB's used this way would help slow the pass rush just a bit the same way the threat of the QB zone read keep would...

But I haven't played any football since I was a LOT younger / 30 years so my opinion is probably not worth much... lol     Insert Kermit the frog drinking tea.

Marcello is chiming in on this discussion
http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Expectations-for-quarterback-Sean-White-against-Clemson-video-47107022

Color me surprised that he's actually saying good things about Auburn and Sean, but really surprised that he said Will Hastings might actually be our best receiver.

Archived