Sean White named starting QB

WarTiger

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Marcello is chiming in on this discussion
http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Expectations-for-quarterback-Sean-White-against-Clemson-video-47107022

Color me surprised that he's actually saying good things about Auburn and Sean, but really surprised that he said Will Hastings might actually be our best receiver.

YES and not just the edge... watch out if Gus trusts SW, he used to do a LOT more of the short quick stuff over the middle and slants too... would LOVE to see the whole field open up for the passing game.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is not a direct comparison....just an idea based on the possibilities, but Steve Young comes to mind.

I don't see a lot of designed runs for SW but if he CAN connect on some deeper routes, I can see him taking advantage of deeper coverages and LB's watching the backs to break off some SY type first downs.

I don't care if it's the water boy, as long as they catch it when they get an opportunity.

7 hours ago, alexava said:

I haven't seen anything on here lately to make me optimistic or worried. I have no idea how this game or this season goes. I like SW if he is healthy but no idea about WRs or Rbs for that matter. With all the critique of SW, I can't understand how we could have gone in any other direction. JJ is JJ. JFlll is fast and confident and from any other information available to me I can't find any other evidence that he can play qb in big time college football. I have no desire to argue this because it is just a feel. I do welcome any effort to show what I am missing.

Good post alex just have to wait to see how the game goes. Actually I think we lose I'm more concerned how we handle the lost with the next 4 games. 

1 hour ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I wish I didn't just see that a walk on made our two deep

I'm sure Will really appreciates your comment and your confidence and support.  WDE

2 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I wish I didn't just see that a walk on made our two deep

This is the type of crap that really makes no sense to me.   You havent even seen the guy play, you know absolutely nothing about him and you are already doubting his ability.   If he has sure hands and catches everything that comes his way ill take him over a ricardo louis any day of the week. 

27 minutes ago, bigbird said:

DTR has started early with his negafan act. We haven't even started our season yet either.

I don't know how many top 30, much less top 15 programs are okay with a walk-on making it in a 2 deep AT A SKILL POSITION, this also being a walk on that was a kicker. Not a receiver, a kicker.  Just because you guys are okay with that doesn't mean I gotta be. 

10 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

There's so many examples of that wait and see logic being blatantly ignored on this board. to single me out for applying this to a guy like this is absolutely laughable 

Don't  you want the best players on the field...walk on or not?

17 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

I don't know how many top 30, much less top 15 programs are okay with a walk-on making it in a 2 deep AT A SKILL POSITION, this also being a walk on that was a kicker. Not a receiver, a kicker.  Just because you guys are okay with that doesn't mean I gotta be. 

Happens quite a bit actually. A lot of players that are brought on are actually preferred walkons recruited with no scholarship but are listed like the regular scholarship players when they're brought on. Believe it or not recruiters screw up and some players go below the radar. Also some players simply develop late and end up becoming really good after high school. Hastings apparently has a level of quickness, as evidenced by his stats on that workout record book that may have came late in the game or simply was never seen. 

It happens. A scholarship and accolades coming out of high school does not a great player make. Especially at skill positions. You can have lower levels of natural athleticism and compensate for it by having more position savvy and game knowledge as well as better instincts.

Its not an indictment on the skills of the current players to have a walk on crack the 2 deep in his first year. Just a testament to the walk on's ability.

59 minutes ago, bigbird said:

DTR has started early with his negafan act. We haven't even started our season yet either.

And on multiple boards....the ignore function is your friend.

36 minutes ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

There's so many examples of that wait and see logic being blatantly ignored on this board. to single me out for applying this to a guy like this is absolutely laughable 

I think it's even more laughable to talk trash about a player you know nothing about. Or maybe just classless. 

1 hour ago, imaolgatiger said:

And on multiple boards....the ignore function is your friend.

The only person on here I have ever ignored.  Is there a way that you can adjust so you don't see his posts when re-quoted?  I follow the board during the games and hate seeing his crap posts dogging everyone and everything.

1 hour ago, FoundationEagle said:

I think it's even more laughable to talk trash about a player you know nothing about. Or maybe just classless. 

If you feel like I'm talking trash about him, that's your opinion, and you're allowed to have it. You're insane if you don't think fans of other teams that are generally on Auburn's tier or better wouldn't be disappointed in the same outcome though. Sorry to burst your bubble about that

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

Pretty sure I read in an article that he caught 2k yards during one season of high school.  

6 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

If you feel like I'm talking trash about him, that's your opinion, and you're allowed to have it. You're insane if you don't think fans of other teams that are generally on Auburn's tier or better wouldn't be disappointed in the same outcome though. Sorry to burst your bubble about that

i get what you are saying,  if he wasnt noticed in highschool then why would he be any good in college?   I looked at a highlight reel  his HS qb had a terrible arm but he has good WR instincts.  he isnt fast  so he changes speed well to throw defenders off,  he goes to the ball rather than waiting for it,  he looks very competent catching.  consistency wins most games.   If our biggest complaint last year was drops dont we want someone proved to be sure handed?

Anybody that can do a back flip from standing still is athletic enough to play football, the rest is going to be having the skills to play

I'm all for whomever or whatever gives us a spark on offense. If he's playing in the opener because he's catching more balls at practice, running better routes or is just a little more football savvy/ready than some of the other young guys, I'm fine with it.  We need guys to make plays. I don't care if they're highly rated or walk-on. 

I think Sean White is a smart guy and makes good decisions with the football. He was green last season, but still made better choices than Jeremy Johnson. 

I hope that our offense is powerful and explosive, but I'd be willing to say that won't completely be the case. Turnovers beat us down last season, and just having a solid fundamentally sound offense sounds more reasonable. 

On paper, our defense should be improved over last season. By the end of the year, our defense was playing more what we consider "Auburn Defense." I see us improving off of that for a much better season defensively. 

I believe with an offense that does the little things right and doesn't turnover the ball, coupled with what our defense should be, we will have a very competitive season. We may not win 10 games, who knows.. But I do feel like our recruiting is finally showing off, and we will be in every single game we play. No more "obvious" losses. And I hope that Malzahn can make this the norm. There's no reason, with the talent the coaching staff brings in, that we shouldn't be in the top 20 every season. None of this unranked business. 

Archived