Sean White named starting QB

WarTiger

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

Not a make or break by any means, but it's not a free pass. It should be no different than expectations when jj played against Louisville

The critic of SW should be no different than last year's critic of JJ against Louisville.  The expectations, on the other hand, are a world apart.

• Replies 723
  • Created
  • Last Reply
27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Did I miss something....was Louisville ranked #2 coming off a game in the NC game?     JMO but that's a pretty big stretch.

I'm talking about his individual performance, and Clemson is ranked so high pretty much for their offense. I can make a case that Louisville's defense was at the same level if not better than Clemson's.

There's no passes though, I had stuff to say about jj throwing int's there's no way sw can throw them and get a pass. Just the same if jj had been throwing 4 td's a game I'd be praising him and if sw does so I'll praise him too. 

There isn't any excuses though, and when I say that I mean horrible play, I'll be the first person to tell a butt hole to shut up just because he threw one interception if that were to happen. Sw has more experience than jj had coming in last year and he's essentially a junior. He's had plenty of reps, so yes there will be certain expectations and excuses will be very limited

28 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

The critic of SW should be no different than last year's critic of JJ against Louisville.  The expectations, on the other hand, are a world apart.

That's subjective, it may be for you. Expectations for me as far as a qb's performance is the same for every qb that plays here

25 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Yep....JJ's expectations were hyped by the coach and about every fan posting here so the pressure was on him I guess.  On the other hand, SW goes out there with many people thinking he will not do well.....so he might have the advantage of exceeding those low expectations.  

And frankly as i recall, JJ looked like all that was advertised until some adversity hit.  Guess we will see how SW handles adversity.....because every QB has adversity to overcome and Clemson is the kind of team that can cause plenty of it. 

That's where I have to agree to disagree because I know the WORST thing I've ever said about sw is I thought his play was average and I'm pretty much hated for it and had plenty of debates. 

Other qb's didn't stand a chance in the qb competition; He's tough, he's upper tier compared to all qb's in accuracy, he's not the question, the question is can the other players around him produce. Any negative critique about his play is negated by he was hurt.  This was all said on here by posters with clout.

All that can't be said and then say most think he will not do well.....I don't know about the ENTIRE fan base but on this board sw isn't an under dog. It's the majority opinion on this board that he's going to be great. 

But yes we'll see how he handles adversity, like you said. I agree.

15 minutes ago, cole256 said:

That's subjective, it may be for you. Expectations for me as far as a qb's performance is the same for every qb that plays here

Expectations are subjective too.  It's how the media and the handicappers make their living.

JJ started against a team that went 8-5 in the ACC. SW is starting against a team that played in the NC last year and is expected to be back there this year. Yeah, those situations should be measured exactly the same :no:.  Clemson is twice the team that Louisville was. Now if he does look straight at LBs and throw the ball into their chest like JJ, then maybe we can talk. 

5 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

Expectations are subjective too.  It's how the media and the handicappers make their living.

Right. Which is why the first sentence I stated was that's subjective...

2 minutes ago, FoundationEagle said:

JJ started against a team that went 8-5 in the ACC. SW is starting against a team that played in the NC last year and is expected to be back there this year. Yeah, those situations should be measured exactly the same :no:.  Clemson is twice the team that Louisville was. Now if he does look straight at LBs and throw the ball into their chest like JJ, then maybe we can talk. 

I've already explained that but of course you'll do what you do. And then the second part of the post you pretty much stated what I did.....smh indeed. But one thing you can't do is show why Clemson's defense this year is twice the defense that Louisville had....

31 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Right. Which is why the first sentence I stated was that's subjective...

I took the "that's" as critics are subjective, not expectations.  Thanks for the clarification.

48 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I've already explained that but of course you'll do what you do. And then the second part of the post you pretty much stated what I did.....smh indeed. But one thing you can't do is show why Clemson's defense this year is twice the defense that Louisville had....

Cole, do you really think Louisville's defense was as good, if not better, than Clemson's? I completely agree that Clemson's offense is its biggest threat but I fully expect their defense to be stout as well.

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

That's where I have to agree to disagree because I know the WORST thing I've ever said about sw is I thought his play was average and I'm pretty much hated for it and had plenty of debates. 

Other qb's didn't stand a chance in the qb competition; He's tough, he's upper tier compared to all qb's in accuracy, he's not the question, the question is can the other players around him produce. Any negative critique about his play is negated by he was hurt.  This was all said on here by posters with clout.

All that can't be said and then say most think he will not do well.....I don't know about the ENTIRE fan base but on this board sw isn't an under dog. It's the majority opinion on this board that he's going to be great. 

But yes we'll see how he handles adversity, like you said. I agree.

SW play has been average at AU so far. I do think he is capable of being a good qb though. We will see how it goes starting today. Everyone here knows my feelings on JF3 and how he is a perfect fit for our offense etc. All that being said I do believe we beat Clemson tonight with SW. 

9 minutes ago, chimesAU said:

Cole, do you really think Louisville's defense was as good, if not better, than Clemson's? I completely agree that Clemson's offense is its biggest threat but I fully expect their defense to be stout as well.

Than this year Clemson defense? Yes. Clemson lost both their d ends and everybody in the secondary minus a corner. 

Last year Louisville had a tackle that was drafted in the first round if I'm not mistaken. Wiggins and Clemmons more than likely will play in the NFL. And I can't remember the linebacker name but one of them were very good. And they had been coached by Charlie strong as well. 

But I can't say for sure since Clemson have so many new people but yeah I don't think it's far fetched to say they are at least close to each other. First game of the season. Oh yeah and the best d end they got (Clemson) isn't playing this game....we know how bad that can affect a team. 

9 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

SW play has been average at AU so far. I do think he is capable of being a good qb though. We will see how it goes starting today. Everyone here knows my feelings on JF3 and how he is a perfect fit for our offense etc. All that being said I do believe we beat Clemson tonight with SW. 

I'm hoping he can be capable as well. I was pretty sure of it then the Memphis game sort of worried me and this off season wasn't the best. But I have NEVER said he wasn't or couldn't be good. My stance has always been I don't know because I haven't seen enough. 

Obviously I'm hoping he can because I'd love to be able to join in the college football conversations with friends and whatnot

8 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Than this year Clemson defense? Yes. Clemson lost both their d ends and everybody in the secondary minus a corner. 

Last year Louisville had a tackle that was drafted in the first round if I'm not mistaken. Wiggins and Clemmons more than likely will play in the NFL. And I can't remember the linebacker name but one of them were very good. And they had been coached by Charlie strong as well. 

But I can't say for sure since Clemson have so many new people but yeah I don't think it's far fetched to say they are at least close to each other. First game of the season. Oh yeah and the best d end they got (Clemson) isn't playing this game....we know how bad that can affect a team. 

I was aware of Clemson losing their D end but still think they'll plug their losses with talented newcomers. I wasn't overly impressed with Louisville's defense last year, especially considering how inept our offense was for the remainder of the season. Guess we'll see.

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm hoping he can be capable as well. I was pretty sure of it then the Memphis game sort of worried me and this off season wasn't the best. But I have NEVER said he wasn't or couldn't be good. My stance has always been I don't know because I haven't seen enough. 

Obviously I'm hoping he can because I'd love to be able to join in the college football conversations with friends and whatnot

Lol I know right. Some people get pretty defensive when you try to critique SW. 

10 minutes ago, chimesAU said:

I was aware of Clemson losing their D end but still think they'll plug their losses with talented newcomers. I wasn't overly impressed with Louisville's defense last year, especially considering how inept our offense was for the remainder of the season. Guess we'll see.

I wasn't overly impressed with Clemson's defense before last year. But they turned the corner last year. When strong was at Louisville I was impressed with their defense. 

They held Clemson to 21 last year and only lost by 1

11 minutes ago, austudnt23 said:

Lol I know right. Some people get pretty defensive when you try to critique SW. 

Understatement of the century lol

10 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Understatement of the century lol

It goes both ways.  Some are too critical of SW (even though  they try to hide it as being objective) and the same goes for those that are too critical of JJ.  Until we see JF3 in a game as an AU QB we have no clue as to what JF3 can bring to the table. 

wde

1 hour ago, AUIH1 said:

It goes both ways.  Some are too critical of SW (even though  they try to hide it as being objective) and the same goes for those that are too critical of JJ.  Until we see JF3 in a game as an AU QB we have no clue as to what JF3 can bring to the table. 

wde

I personally haven't seen ONE post of anybody on this board saying something like sw sucks. The most I've seen is that one guy who was so silly about jf3 starting is the only way our offense working. I literally haven't seen anybody say sw wasn't good. The worst thing I've seen said about him was he was average or the offense couldn't be good since he isn't a great run threat. 

So while you say it goes both ways, that's true and I understand what you mean but no on this board it's not really close as far as both him getting praise and critique

Archived