This will not be a popular opinion, but my take...

TitanTiger

35 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

He has to change something. One year of injuries is a coincidence.  Two years is symptomatic of a problem.

I think the 2014 red zone issues were more about good D coordinators figuring out his system. 

I guess Saban and Kirby hadn't figured it out in 2014.  If we only had a good defense that season.  I thought for years that Auburn's bad defense was a result of the HUNH but after this season I have to believe it was bad recruiting.  This is 100% Gus's team and Gus's players and the defense only looks to get better and better.  Sophomore qb, sophomore RBs, freshmen WRs, sophomore te on offense gives hope.  Hopefully the oline can keep rebuilding.

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

I guess Saban and Kirby hadn't figured it out in 2014.  If we only had a good defense that season. 

We changed up the game plan dramatically for the 2014 Iron Bowl. We had nearly twice as many passing yards as any other game that season and by far the most pass attempts.  

29 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

We changed up the game plan dramatically for the 2014 Iron Bowl. We had nearly twice as many passing yards as any other game that season and by far the most pass attempts.  

Maybe JJ will put up 400yards passing and 4 Tds!  Give Pettway an easy day of 150yrds on 20 carries.

Gus eventually does a good job of fixing the glaring issues...one at a time.  His problem is that when he gets one issue fixed, 2 or 3 other significant ones pop up.  This is painfully evident in recruiting.

27 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Maybe JJ will put up 400yards passing and 4 Tds!  Give Pettway an easy day of 150yrds on 20 carries.

We can certainly dream. He has the skills... can he just muster the confidence?

I keep having this dream that JJ puts up monster numbers and scores the winning touchdown by hitting Foster at the 3 and bulldozing him into the end zone...thus making all of us who have doubted his grit and determination eat our words ... JJ then goes down in Auburn history for leading one of the greatest wins over Alabama of all time and we all watch his TD run endlessly like we watch Bo over the Top or the Kick-six....

13 minutes ago, japantiger said:

I keep having this dream that JJ puts up monster numbers and scores the winning touchdown by hitting Foster at the 3 and bulldozing him into the end zone...thus making all of us who have doubted his grit and determination eat our words ... JJ then goes down in Auburn history for leading one of the greatest wins over Alabama of all time and we all watch his TD run endlessly like we watch Bo over the Top or the Kick-six....

I was thinking Carlson kicking a 57-yard field goal with 1 second on the clock to win by 3 :)

14 minutes ago, japantiger said:

the dream i keep having is we drive for a td early with Pettway then get in Hurt's head and score a couple of defensive tds and Hit 3long fgs and win about 30-10 and tear down a goal post.

7 hours ago, alexava said:

I don't know enough about that injury to know if repeated contact caused the non contact injury or even if it is possible. 

Yet you still knew enough to disagree, just not enough to agree....

4 hours ago, alexava said:

Basically yes. 

Yep, it's why when I get notifications of your quotes I laugh before reading them

54 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Yep, it's why when I get notifications of your quotes I laugh before reading them

Feel free to block me. 

1 hour ago, alexava said:

Feel free to block me. 

You must of misread, I said I laugh. I enjoy it, you will try to argue things like not wearing down a running back. Why would I ever block that? 

1 hour ago, cole256 said:

You must of misread, I said I laugh. I enjoy it, you will try to argue things like not wearing down a running back. Why would I ever block that? 

I did misread. Hell I cussed through the last half of the second quarter and the whole second half of the Mississippi st game and much of the Arkansas game because we overused him. He was not hurt or worn out when he pulled up. It did not seem like something lingering from overwork. I am saying we don't really know what his injury is or what caused it. I broke my thumb trying to get a beer out of the fridge one time. It wasn't because I drank too much it was only my third one that day and I had sobered up from the previous day. It just happened.

Imagine the unraveling of sports media if Auburn's defense "out-Alabama's" Alabama's scoring defense. I trust our defense to hold Alabama's offense at bay, but if we can force some mistakes and capitalize on them, I think we stand a good chance.

Then again, who knows? I've seen my fair share of come-backs, blowouts, defensive struggles, underachievements, and overachievements in my short lifetime... here's hoping for a win for the good-guys.

9 hours ago, alexava said:

I did misread. Hell I cussed through the last half of the second quarter and the whole second half of the Mississippi st game and much of the Arkansas game because we overused him. He was not hurt or worn out when he pulled up. It did not seem like something lingering from overwork. I am saying we don't really know what his injury is or what caused it. I broke my thumb trying to get a beer out of the fridge one time. It wasn't because I drank too much it was only my third one that day and I had sobered up from the previous day. It just happened.

I'm proud of you Alexava

yeah i'd say pettway and s.w. injuries just happened whether or not they were over-used. malik miller, however, was bell-cowed into a knee surgery, mopping up a game in which qb2 shouldve been throwing it around. my $.02

DATE OPP RESULT   ATT YDS AVG LNG TD REC YDS AVG LNG TD
9/3 Clemson L 19-13 No statistics available.
9/10 Arkansas State W 51-14 15 152 10.1 64 0 1 5 5.0 5 0
9/17 Texas A&M L 29-16 20 123 6.2 33 1 0 0 0.0 0 0
9/24 LSU W 18-13 17 61 3.6 9 0 0 0 0.0 0 0
10/1 Louisiana Monroe W 58-7 No statistics available.
10/8 @Mississippi State W 38-14 39 169 4.3 29 3 1 9 9.0 9 0
10/22 Arkansas W 56-3 27 192 7.1 27 2 0 0 0.0 0 0
10/29 @Ole Miss W 40-29 30 236 7.9 56 1 0 0 0.0 0 0
11/5 Vanderbilt W 23-16 25 173 6.9 60 0 0 0 0.0 0 0
11/12 @Georgia L 13-7 No statistics available.
11/19 Alabama A&M W 55-0 No statistics available.

I only see one game, maybe 2 that he was overused. I see two games (clemson and AnM) he was underused. he was inching toward Heisman consideration.

I mean did he really need close to 40 carries vs Miss St when the game was over at halftime? Or 27 vs Arky when the game was also over before halftime? There's no true answer if we overused him but getting close to 70 carries over the span of 2 weeks in massive blowouts was just plain unnecessary considering that this guy was moved to tailback because we had an unforseen mass exodus at the position in the offseason 

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I mean did he really need close to 40 carries vs Miss St when the game was over at halftime? Or 27 vs Arky when the game was also over before halftime? There's no true answer if we overused him but getting close to 70 carries over the span of 2 weeks in massive blowouts was just plain unnecessary considering that this guy was moved to tailback because we had an unforseen mass exodus at the position in the offseason 

It was only 28-3 at halftime of Arkansas.  You cannot pack it in against that offense that early.  And after we went up 35-3, he got two carries the rest of the game, both in the 3rd quarter and sat out the 4th.

The MSU game was unexpected because KJ went down early in the game.  

I hardly see how they could have anticipated such things that early in his ascension to the starting role.

Any game over 25 carries is over used, running him 27 times in a game you win by 52?  You also have to take in account of how he runs....But hey if you think 30 carries isn't a big deal I see why you disagree. But like I said I'm not surprised he's hurt and I didn't feel like I'm super smart that I could see that it would happen at the END of the season....it's pretty obvious IMO. 

3 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

It was only 28-3 at halftime of Arkansas.  You cannot pack it in against that offense that early.  And after we went up 35-3, he got two carries the rest of the game, both in the 3rd quarter and sat out the 4th.

The MSU game was unexpected because KJ went down early in the game.  

I hardly see how they could have anticipated such things that early in his ascension to the starting role.

These are good points, I don't think we can know for 100% but I just don't think it's smart to give almost 70 carries to one guy in 2 weeks. We can agree to disagree though I know if he stays healthy this isn't even a discussion but 67 carries is kind of crazy to me. I also thought Tre Mason's workload was a bit much as well but he made it through unscathed.

Well mason's picked up at the END of the season as opposed to running him ragged at the start until the finish. Also mason shared carries with the qb as well and we used the speed sweep and outside runs better. This year everybody knows who's getting it and where he is going. First and ten? Hand off up the middle 90% of the time. 

Also the threat of option made guys stand then react. You get hit alot harder when guys can just tee off on you and run down hill and gain momentum before they can hit you

3 hours ago, alexava said:

I only see one game, maybe 2 that he was overused. I see two games (clemson and AnM) he was underused. he was inching toward Heisman consideration.

He averaged 30 carries a game over that 4 game stretch, and blew out his quad/hamstring whatever that we'll never know on his 121st carry against Vanderbilt.  Figure it out.

Herschel said 30 to 40 plus carries wasn't hard because, "the ball ain't heavy", but Kam Pettway ain't no Herschel Walker.  Take a look at Cadillac Williams for another example of how overuse catches up with you later on.

Archived