This will not be a popular opinion, but my take...

TitanTiger

If you had asked me 5 minutes after the game what we should do, I would've said to fire Gus. However, as others have said, that would be too detrimental to the team in the long run. 

What we do need is a change at OC. Another year of Lashlee won't give us any different results. Bring in the new OC and see how he does. If a new OC can't fix the consistency problems, then we should probably cut Gus loose. 

It's really not fair to the defense to have an offense performing so poorly. 

We need to stop playing favorites to the seniors(WRs). Have some balls and bench them and play the younger guys. 

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
44 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Bingo...I think we can go 8-4 and lose to GA and AL for a hell of a lot less than $4m.   We are officially lost in the football  wilderness and on our way to a repeat of the 70's.  I've now seen the reincarnation of Doug Barfield and the sad part is most on here are ok with that.  Good god folks, I think you all need an Edna Mode wakeup slap.  

So everyone who doesn't think like you should be slapped?  I think you are on the wrong site.  You sound like a bammer woman, not an Auburn man.

I may be the only person on the planet that honestly never even thought about firing the coach because of last night.  Coaching hasn't even crossed my mind since the game ended.  The only lasting impression I have of yesterday is 6/20 for 27yds and a pick six.  No coach overcomes that...

Now I'm no dummy.  Yes, I understand the play calling was a bit suspect, but you can't pin it all of the coach when the QB has a rating of exactly 1.

i just flat out can't wrap my head around such an awful performance.

Thanks for keeping me off a cliff. However all of these folks above saying we should be happy with 4 losses is ridiculous. We've come a long way but we lost two on the coaches in my opinion. We were in position to win the west and potentially play for a national championship, that's what we want every year but settling for mediocrity should never be justification. We shouldn't be fine with that. 

A&M came into our house and beat us when the offense couldn't do anything. All of the losses have been on the hands of the offensive staff and with an offensive minded head coach, that doesn't sit well with me. Like you said, we need some retooling and we need the Jimmys and Joes to get it done.

I'm hoping we can get some guys to step up on the defense with a few seniors leaving. Next years defense could be an even better one. (*tired of saying next year)

1 hour ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Let me get this straight Nick who was a CB at Georgia and then played one year of QB at Junior college where he learned all he ever knew about at QB then we have CAM who is a freak of nature no doubt but did you watch both of those QB's when they first started at Auburn can you honestly say they didn't get better under GUS?  Now SW has shown that when healthy thanks to his natural ability and working with our coaches has become one of the better QB's in the SEC.  Gus actually has a pretty good record with QB's. You seem to think that JC coaches must be the best QB coaches in the world because anytime they have a QB for one year they imprint greatness on them. I wonder why more of the are not in the big leagues. 

Basically we have had one QB failure under Gus and that was on the mental side by the way under Gus that same QB has shown nothing but class and we should be glad we have had the opportunity to see an Auburn QB who despite on the bad things that happened on the playing field kept his head up and represented us so well. 

You say he may kill another potentially good QB in Barrett. I don't know if Woody will be a great QB, an average QB, or a bad QB when he arrived people in the know said he has many of the tools but he has some mechanic issues. If he works hard and the mechanic issues that it has taken many years to ingrain he has the chance to get better and become a good QB.  Every year almost every team has a QB like Woody only a few are able to overcome the bad habits and mechanics they developed since they started playing when they we 6 years old and have ingrained over the next 12 years.

To answer your question, no I do not think Nick Marshall progressed under Gus. If anything he REGRESSED in 2014, especially in his passing, when they said that was going to be the focus.

I could have been Cam Newton's QB coach and he still would have been the amazing freak of nature that he is. There is just nothing to say there.

One QB failure under Gus? Does Kiehl Frazier ring a bell? Try this article on for size:

https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxsports.com/college-football/story/kiehl-frazier-former-auburn-tigers-quarterback-ouachita-baptist-110514.amp.html?client=safari

And before you say, "That was all Chizik's fault" let's remember that Gus was OC and this kid was literally his pet project since high school. He had a lot of raw talent and I think they put him in a situation to fail. 

Fast forward to Jeremy Johnson. He had all the intangibles and he completely regressed under Gus & co.

I am not a "Sean White hater" like many on this board. I think he has heart and grit and makes up for some of the physical attributes he lacks through pure dedication and hard work. But no, I am not that impressed with his "progression." The situation he was put in last night was all coaching. The fact that we don't even have an OPTION as a backup QB is all coaching. 

If you don't think that is a problem then I just don't know what to say.

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

About the only one I can come up with that could be valid is not having the freshmen WRs as the starters over guys like Marcus Davis, Ryan Davis and Tony Stevens.  Other than that, I think the rest of the positions and talent utilization is spot on.

we woefully underutilize the TE...yesterday was the perfect time to use him...we shot blanks...as for potential coaches...Flick at WMU,Crim(?) at NDSU,Hugh ...imagine Hugh coming from Ole Miss to Auburn...as for talent evaluation in general...see above for some more specific examples

4 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

When your QB is having a performance like SW's last night, most reasonable coaches would have a "plan B". We obviously did not, or would not.

Does a plan B matter if WRs are dropping balls that are hitting them in the chest and hands. Sure, Sean struggled last night but it wouldn't have matter if Stevens or Davis caught more than  2 of the 6 (didn't actually count) first down balls they were thrown that SHOULD HAVE BEEN CAUGHT.

6 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

When your QB is having a performance like SW's last night, most reasonable coaches would have a "plan B". We obviously did not, or would not.

That is very true.

3 minutes ago, 1913-14 said:

we woefully underutilize the TE...yesterday was the perfect time to use him...we shot blanks...as for potential coaches...Flick at WMU,Crim(?) at NDSU,Hugh ...imagine Hugh coming from Ole Miss to Auburn...as for talent evaluation in general...see above for some more specific examples

Yeah, bring in Freeze. Who hasn't sniffed a title conference or otherwise. Who's got his team sitting comfortably tied for last place in the SEC West. Guess what? They've also done pretty well in recruiting lately. 

2 hours ago, RunInRed said:

The case for holding the defense together is the strongest argument.  Offense is a hot mess and sans a few bright moments, has been for some time.

We're at the very least back to the point of hiring Briles as OC and giving him total control of the offense. With the bottom falling out for Kendall right now, maybe Art is the answer.

12 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Does a plan B matter if WRs are dropping balls that are hitting them in the chest and hands. Sure, Sean struggled last night but it wouldn't have matter if Stevens or Davis caught more than  2 of the 6 (didn't actually count) first down balls they were thrown that SHOULD HAVE BEEN CAUGHT.

Or if UGA wouldn't have scored their only TD from a pick six.

33 minutes ago, WarTiger said:

If you think this team is anything like the Barfield years you need to seriously check your history.  This is in no way, shape or form even remotely close to that.

Other than my 1st hand experience with it, yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about.  So we've now lost 9 of the last 11 to GA.  The series record has now swung in GA'S favor.   We've lost 6 of the last 8 to Satan.  How many more you willing to lose?  10 in a row to Bama?  Or are you praying that Cam has eligibility left?  So how many more are you willing to lose to our top rivals?  How many years are you willing to set home for the SEC Championship while Bama goes?  How many? Put your number down here so we can all understand how much punishment you're willing to take on Gus's behalf...

38 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

So everyone who doesn't think like you should be slapped?  I think you are on the wrong site.  You sound like a bammer woman, not an Auburn man.

Still see you have no sense of humor you insufferable ass clown.

As for being on the wrong side, your football analysis is as lacking as your political judgememt.  

Look at the facts Ichy.  We're now a laughing stock and GA and AL'S bitches.  

Same old same old we hear every time our coach struggles. Who will we get? What about continuity? Recruiting? Etc. I actually don't think he should be fired after this year either but anyone who can see clearly knows how this ends after he goes 7-5 or 8-4 next year... coaching search.  As for our improved defense will it still be improved after Lawson and Adams are gone? Will we have a legit qb who is durable? Will we have a backup qb that the staff actually trusts? This coach had a 10 out of 12 sec losing streak including a long home losing streak and is about to be 2-6 vs our rivals with 6 straight losses. Not to mention the two wins needed two of the most remarkable plays in college history. Maybe no shame in losing to the juggernaut that is bama but losing two in a row to mediocre uga teams is completely unacceptable. Keep preaching patience and making excuses while booking your outback bowl Tix ever year.

2 hours ago, RunInRed said:

The case for holding the defense together is the strongest argument.  Offense is a hot mess and sans a few bright moments, has been for some time.

Totally agree. The D is and has been improving and playing very well.  There are a lot of young defensive guys playing this year who will get better and better.  

I truly don't rethink SW will start next year. I think Barrett or Stidham will win the job b/c they can do both, they bring the dynamic element of a runner and passer.  This of course assumes they are everything as advertised and CRL and CGM don't mess them up from QB mechanics standpoint. 

24 minutes ago, Harp_AU2013 said:

Then the question becomes why the heck are those receivers still in the game?! Where are the stud wrs we signed?

2 minutes ago, japantiger said:

Still see you have no sense of humor you insufferable ass clown.

As for being on the wrong side, your football analysis is as lacking as your political judgememt.  

Look at the facts Ichy.  We're now a laughing stock and GA and AL'S bitches.  

Yes.  You are a genius.  Your view is the panacea of truth.

Too bad you aren't as thoughtful as you are arrogant, crude, opinionated.

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

Then the question becomes why the heck are those receivers still in the game?! Where are the stud wrs we signed?

We could go out on the intramural fields and find guys with better hands...

5 hours ago, japantiger said:

Other than my 1st hand experience with it, yeah, I don't know what I'm talking about.  So we've now lost 9 of the last 11 to GA.  The series record has now swung in GA'S favor.   We've lost 6 of the last 8 to Satan.  How many more you willing to lose?  10 in a row to Bama?  Or are you praying that Cam has eligibility left?  So how many more are you willing to lose to our top rivals?  How many years are you willing to set home for the SEC Championship while Bama goes?  How many? Put your number down here so we can all understand how much punishment you're willing to take on Gus's behalf...

I just don't see how firing Gus will get us back to the SEC championship quicker than keeping him.

There are plenty of top tier coaches who coached more years than Gus before they became notably and consistently successful.

Gus is a long term investment. I'd hate to pay for all of his formative experience only to lose him to someone else who will profit from it.   

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Auburn should not have lost to Georgia yesterday.  The UGA offense is anemic and our defense totally controlled it aside from a few amazing passes from Eason.  They held them to two FGs the entire game and anytime that happens, you should win.

At the same time, Auburn is a very beat up team, far more beat up that the coaching staff has let on.  Sean is obviously not himself and unable to generate any velocity on passes beyond 5-10 yards without really screwing up his mechanics and thus his accuracy.  I think it's also causing him to throw the ball quicker to try and avoid hits because any strong hit could spell the end of the season in his mind and it's painful.  Kerryon is not the same back he was early in the year because of the ankle and Pettway just bring another dimension to this offense.  Not having all of those key pieces working properly are just too much to overcome.

And finally, the JF3 thing has been an extreme disappointment not only in terms of evaluation by the staff (in hindsight we should have signed Jerod Evans) but in JF3's own development.  He simply should be better now so that when Sean isn't 100% the offense can do something.  But this is not a problem unique to Auburn.  A&M is a totally different team without Trevor Knight.  Louisville is a 3 or 4 loss team without Lamar Jackson.  Who knows what Clemson is without Watson?  You name me a team and virtually any of them are going to suffer greatly without their starter.  Most backups are not stars who just haven't gotten their chance.  They are backups because they are either flat out not as good, or because they are young and not ready for the lead role and there will be tremendous dropoff.  

All of that said, I feel like in many ways Gus has taken some steps forward as a coach this year.  We finally have a defense that can carry a team and keep us in any game.  That hasn't happened since Tubs was here.  He finally understands his role as a HEAD coach and is allowing his assistants to do what he hired them to do.  And while we are paying the price for missing on Jerod and JJ's mental breakdowns, I think what this team did when it was healthy shows great promise.  

So what do we do?  We are likely to lose to Alabama and finish 8-4.  Is it time to repeat the 4-year "Auburn gets a new head coach" cycle?  Thoughts on that:

1.  Well, I don't want to break up this defensive staff especially.  It's taken 6-7 years to get an Auburn defense back around here and I love what T-Will and McGriff have done.  And our D-line is killing it.  It's nice to know we don't have to score 40 points every outing to have a chance.

2.  Yesterday showed that every coach is susceptible to losing games they shouldn't.  Clemson lost at home to unranked Pitt (giving up 43 points in the process), Michigan lost to unranked Iowa, only scoring 13 in the process, and Washington lost to USC, managing only 13 points at home.  And other coaches have had their struggles this year:  Jimbo at FSU, Stoops at Oklahoma, Herman at Houston.  This is not an exact science.

3.  What coach do you realistically think we go after and get?  Herman maybe, but like Gus he's learning on the job as well.  Jimbo has shown himself to be a monumental whiner and without Jameis is having a hard time of it.  Petrino is having a great year but I don't think he's leaving Louisville a second time so quickly and the PTB at Auburn just aren't going to hire him.  Briles is radioactive for a few years.  So I'm struggling to come up with someone.

Taking all of the above into consideration, I think we're better off staying with Gus for another year, hopefully adding Stidham as QB this offseason, getting Woody Barrett ready after a redshirt year and anticipating Joey Gatewood after him.  It's not going to make a lot of folks happy, but I just don't think blowing things up again after 4 years is the right way to go.

Post of the weekend. Fantastic post. Completely agree. Malzahn was heralded as one of the best head coaches in the nation again by this board before UGA game, and all the sudden, he's back on hot seat watch? If people throw out the fact that AU is cursed by the UGA game and the fact that Auburn missed most of its offensive pieces at 100%, the coaching staff kept AU in the game until the final drive yesterday. It was an awful game plan, but in the end, we still have yet to get completely blown out in a game this year and our defense has still yet to give up 30 points in a game this season. This is a good football team, the cards just weren't in line last night for some reason. Last night was an awful second half performance, but I'd rather be in every game we lose rather than get blown out in them. 

If one really thinks about it, just look at what Malzahn has done to the fan base in his tenure at AU so far. We are FAR more expecting than we ever have been on a year-to-year basis. The season is not considered successful unless we make the playoffs, or beat Alabama (but the latter has always been the case). Malzahn has instilled a bit of confidence back in the AU fan base. With success comes expectations and with expectations, come pressure. I am glad that Auburn is coming into each season with Top 4 on their mind, rather than "well, if we make the capital one bowl, that's a great season."

The mindset has changed, and even though you may not notice, this team still has a chance to finish 9-3 with 6 SEC wins. When you do that in the SEC, you are an elite program. Period. There is no getting around the fact that Malzahn has Instilled a bit of cockiness in our fan base again. The least we can do is notice success in waves.

2 minutes ago, icanthearyou said:

Yes.  You are a genius.  Your view is the panacea of truth.

Too bad you aren't as thoughtful as you are arrogant, crude, opinionated.

Poor baby...

Hardly Ichy, ....i leave that up to you sewimg circle guys....you know, the "smart people"...i'm.just a simple guy who can see  that Saban and whoever is at GA owns us.  How many more years should we be willing to get our ass kicked so you don't have to admit the truth of this?

This off season will tell the story on Gus' future as the Auburn HC.  How he adjusts to improve the offensive side of the ball, like he did the defensive side the last two years, will go a long way in determining his worth as a HC.  Gus seemed to have put more trust in his assistant coaches this year and that is a good sign in his development as a HC.  

If CRL doesn't move on and/or Gus is unwilling to change his offensive staff, then we can expect the same results as this year when confronted with a defense that has a pulse.  Thank God Les was the coach when we played LSU.

7 minutes ago, japantiger said:

i was a young man during the barfield years and its right now is looking dangerously similar to how things were then, except, coach DB has way more facilities and resources than barfield did, and therefore he has fewer excuses....most of these "goofy gussers" are young and are from the "we don't keep score" and the "everybody get a trophy" generation from the last 20-25 years....damn, if you are doing the absolute best you can and you lose, fine....get better and try again....if you have a hole in your boat and you keep going out on the lake and sinking, don't you think that you ought to fix the hole in the boat?....this is how bad it is, in my opinion, if tatertot bowden were head coach of this team, AU would be undefeated and ranked #2 in the nation, and i loath tatertot

I don't think Gus should be fired. He should apologize to his players for losing the Clemson and Georgia games though. We have a special team that won't get any hardware because of it. 

Also, perennially losing to rivals only warms up his hot seat. If this was a shooting contest, the rivalry games would be his money balls.

Archived