Rhett leaves AU / New OC discussion (Merged)

auburnphan

1 minute ago, selias said:

Spurrier....I think the thread has officially jumped the shark

Hey... if you're going to dream, might as well dream big.

• Replies 3.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Could the person who thinks Chip Lindsey would be an awful hire please set forth reasons for this belief so we could all understand. His resume is very good and has worked at Auburn so there is a good chance he could get along. Whether you are a supporter of D. Craig or Gus or neither if you are an AU fan you dont want to hire someone that ends up with feelings about each other like they had. It has a negative impact on the staff, team and ultimately the University. So if there is some real reasons why Chip would not do well since he appears to be a very good qb coach and had a great offense at USM and has Georgia and Alabama connections please share.

33 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The world would explode if we announced Spurrier as our next OC.  I could totally see him doing it, however, just for the chance to build something that could shut Saban down. Gus and Steve, together, would be a defenses worst nightmare.

Would be hard to determine which visor had the biggest ego...

Just now, Newbomb said:

Oh... Spurrier would win that one, easily... especially since Gus has looked up to him forever.

2 minutes ago, auol72 said:

Could the person who thinks Chip Lindsey would be an awful hire please set forth reasons for this belief so we could all understand. His resume is very good and has worked at Auburn so there is a good chance he could get along. Whether you are a supporter of D. Craig or Gus or neither if you are an AU fan you dont want to hire someone that ends up with feelings about each other like they had. It has a negative impact on the staff, team and ultimately the University. So if there is some real reasons why Chip would not do well since he appears to be a very good qb coach and had a great offense at USM and has Georgia and Alabama connections please share.

Agreed.  Chip would certainly be an upgrade over what we have had plus he brings a lot of knowledge to the QB position and passing game.  He's also very well respected by high school coaches in Ga, Bama, FL etc.  

Not saying its who I want, but we could do also lot worse than Chip, that's for sure..

35 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

The world would explode if we announced Spurrier as our next OC.  I could totally see him doing it, however, just for the chance to build something that could shut Saban down. Gus and Steve, together, would be a defenses worst nightmare.

Wow... Visors would fly and QB's would be yanked.... 

8 minutes ago, Newbomb said:

But easy to determine which one had reason to have a big ego......

4 minutes ago, JGLEATON said:

or, dare I say it, the other way?

4 minutes ago, JGLEATON said:

And the world would finally get to see the HUNH Run and Gun...

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Soooo. We are at page 80. If we get to over page 100 does that mean we won't get an OC for 2017 (Recruiting reference for those who may not get it).

I said this back in the pages 20 or 30s. Starting to look more possible.

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

And the world would finally get to see the HUNH Run and Gun...

Poetry in Motion

19 minutes ago, Jgarrett7 said:

I said this back in the pages 20 or 30s. Starting to look more possible.

Pace has increased of late

Expected 100 pp. now ~Friday, 6:00 am

ETA image below, but now I'm starting to feel like a dog chasing a car.

Whut am I gonne do if I catch the damn thing?

b5RvpLt.jpg

Spurrier, Briles (Art) AND Gus...

Will be named the first Tri-OC's in College football history...

and will perfect the Coxcat / triple quarterback Run n gun option...

each of the tri-OC's is responsible for one of the three QB's in the system with all using a separate and different method of signals to each QB...  this will ensure no signals are stolen and the opposing Defense is as thoroughly confused as our offense... 

we will not have a QB coach but a separate Center / long snapper coach to make sure he knows which QB to snap too and when to snap it...

We won't know what hit em...

Brilliant.

1 minute ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

Take your time Gus. I mean recruits don't need to be able to communicate with their potential OC. 

Which is more important... a warm body for recruits to talk to or the right person for the job? Don't forget, while he's finding time in his and other's schedules to interview candidates, ALL of them are out recruiting. Talk about a scheduling nightmare.

1 minute ago, JGLEATON said:

Spurrier, Briles (Art) AND Gus...

Will be named the first Tri-OC's in College football history...

and will perfect the Coxcat / triple quarterback Run n gun option...

each of the tri-OC's is responsible for one of the three QB's in the system with all using a separate and different method of signals to each QB...  this will ensure no signals are stolen and the opposing Defense is as thoroughly confused as our offense... 

we will not have a QB coach but a separate Center / long snapper coach to make sure he knows which QB to snap too and when to snap it...

Brilliant.

and we thought a QB carousel was exciting!

4 hours ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

I'm sorry, but that is a load. The players aren't in the hospital because they mailed it in during Helf's S&C workouts, they're in the hospital because the new S&C coach didn't do his damn job. There's pushing players to their limits so they can get better, and then there's just putting them in danger. This is a case of the latter.

Plain and simple, between the nutrition staff and the S&C staff, something went very wrong, and the new staff shouldn't blame a single thing on the old staff. Hell, the University even recognizes it. They've already suspended the S&C coach for a month without pay during arguably the most important part of off-season training. 

Here is the new coaches bio

Oderinde

IRELEODERINDE
  • TITLE

Head Football Strength Coach
  • PRONUNCIATION

ear-lay o-dare-in-day

Irele Oderinde joined the Ducks in January 2017 as football's head strength and conditioning coach, coming to Oregon from South Florida along with head coach Willie Taggart.

Oderinde spent the previous three years as the Director of Athletic Performance for South Florida athletics, overseeing the strength and conditioning programs for all 19 USF programs and designing a year-round training program for the Bulls’ football team.

Oderinde joined the Bulls after a one-year stint as the coordinator of strength and conditioning for football at West Virginia, where he specialized in exercise selection and skill development for linemen. Oderinde went to WVU after a two-year run at his alma mater, Western Kentucky, where he assisted in all aspects of athletic performance for the football program as well as implemented training programs for the baseball and track and field programs.

From 2010 to 2012, Oderinde worked as an assistant strength and conditioning coach at South Carolina, leading year-round training for the men’s basketball and tennis teams. Before joining the Gamecocks, he spent 2008 to 2010 as a speed and skills development coach at Notre Dame.

Oderinde got his coaching start at his alma mater in 2005, working for three seasons as Western Kentucky’s assistant strength and conditioning coach.. While there, he developed and implemented strength and conditioning programs for the men's basketball team and assisted with the football and softball teams.

During his playing career as a nose tackle at WKU, Oderinde helped the Hilltoppers to a 40-13 (.755) overall record, berths in the NCAA Division I-AA playoffs in four consecutive years for the first time in school history and the school’s first national championship in any sport (2002). As a senior, he started 12 of WKU’s 13 games and recorded a career-best 45 total tackles with nine tackles for loss and a sack.

Oderinde graduated from WKU in 2003 with a bachelor’s degree in recreation administration, and earned his master’s degree in sport management from Western Kentucky in 2007.

So in ALL those years he never had an issue... But suddenly he doesn't know how to do his job. 

Fact is these kids were/are WAY out of shape. They were/are soft. There is a reason he pushed them so hard. Why do you think that was? You think if he got there and they were in the shape Bama or even our kids are, think they/we have the same issues? Not a chance in hades. 

The old staff absolutely deserves the blame for soft out of shape kids. 
4 hours ago, AUinTLoosa said:

“The University of Oregon has suspended football strength and conditioning coach Irele Oderinde one month without pay after three players were hospitalized following a series of intense workouts last week.”

http://www.sltrib.com/sports/4832210-155/college-football-oregon-strength-coach-suspended

Your point? See above

3 hours ago, Aucater said:

If Gus wanted to hire Kendall Briles he should have been able to. If he can't hire who he wants his heart isn't going to be in it and he will not be successful. Its a matter of time if meddling will result in a new HC search. 

I fully agree.

My own comment:

I think hamstringing Gus on this OC hire is destened to fail. And that isn't fair. Saban doesn't give a rats behind about how others think about he runs his program. Kiffen wouldn't of been there,  and especially Stark. But he doesn't care. He does what's best to win. You can't complain about not winning when you tie your coaches hands behind his back by blocking him from hiring WHOEVER he wants, within reason. Art Briles isn't within reason. He is suing Baylor. He won't coach anywhere while that's going on I'd imagine. Kb... Well that's a different story. 

7 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Which is more important... a warm body for recruits to talk to or the right person for the job? Don't forget, while he's finding time in his and other's schedules to interview candidates, ALL of them are out recruiting. Talk about a scheduling nightmare.

I think it is CRITICAL to this program AND CGM's ability to succeed and remain coach that the most important criteria of the OC will be the ability to ADD a passing offense that can meld with the success of CGM running game and to being a good QB developer.

The ability to be a major recruiter will come with his success. I really dont care that it be at the top of priorities.

@Auburn2Eugene, You have to earn the right to answer to nobody but yourself though. Gus isn't even close with 16 losses in 3 years compared to 19 losses for Saban over his entire tenure at Bama -- 6 coming from year 1. Hiring people like Rhett and Kodi pretty much ensures that somebody has to look over Gus' shoulder during the hiring process. He would have more freedom if he actually hired people that had AU-level credentials

10 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Do you?  Has Taggart had this happen anywhere else? Fact is, he got here, saw how soft these guys were and they had "to get beat"  as my Sr. Chief liked to say. Sure it happened now. But you have to ask yourself why... And you will quickly open your eyes to the puppet master behind the scenes of why it happened in the first place... 

Ur talking about a labled condition that happens when u over exert the body. Thats different from not being able to lift weights or run laps. These are signs of kids not quiting even when their bodies are internally shutting down on them. I see a coach pushing the envelope at his first Power 5 team.

cant claim to have read all 82 pages. It's concerning having to wait this long for an announcement. does this mean they're striking out on candidates? hope not.

15 minutes ago, autigersj said:

We can beat that!!

As an aside - 

I think you may see why this relatively old-timer put a "Gus Bus is a Roller Coaster" image in your "perspective" thread (or was that yours?)

10 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I think it is CRITICAL to this program AND CGM's ability to succeed and remain coach that the most important criteria of the OC will be the ability to ADD a passing offense that can meld with the success of CGM running game

I'm in full agreement and based on what is being said so far, which of course needs to be taken with a grain of salt, that is the focus of the search.

Archived