2018 4* OT/OG William Barnes

ellitor

On 12/25/2017 at 10:59 AM, au_bsci_04 said:

Horton and Harrell should be our starting Guards next year. Bro Hamm could be in the mix, along with Sharp.

What's your gut on tackles? Tega and Ashley?

Tega will be a junior next year.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Randman5000 said:

What's your gut on tackles? Tega and Ashley?

Tega will be a junior next year.

Tega yeah. Not sure at RT, could be a few folks fighting for that spot.

22 hours ago, au_bsci_04 said:

Tega yeah. Not sure at RT, could be a few folks fighting for that spot.

Most likely Ashley or Sammons. 

Brahms or Kim at C.  

I hope CHH and co. get the OL figured out during the Spring this year. We can’t afford another annual October revelation.  

5 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Most likely Ashley or Sammons. 

Brahms or Kim at C.  

I hope CHH and co. get the OL figured out during the Spring this year. We can’t afford another annual October revelation. 

Tell these kids to stop getting injured! Then the O-line will be settled in early. What were they thinking, letting themselves get hurt like that?

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

Tell these kids to stop getting injured! Then the O-line will be settled in early. What were they thinking, letting themselves get hurt like that?

C’mon @Mikey   You know that injuries were only part of the issue.  Horton would have been a staple at LG if not for injury. No doubt.   But Tega was benched because he wasn’t ready.  CHH figured that out in game 3 or 4?  And yes, DJ was injured, but it was his injury that led CHH to discover a more productive line.  

In 2016, if it weren’t for the injury to the starting C, CHH may have never found the “best 5” grouping.  

So if anything, injuries have helped CHH discover what he should have figured out in the Spring, or at least in Fall Camp.  

Anyway, my point was that I don’t want that to happen in 2018.  If/when injuries occur, we’ll have to adjust.  But I want the best 5 out there on day 1 for the first time in CHH’s tenure.  

Just now, AUpreacherman22 said:

C’mon @Mikey   You know that injuries were only part of the issue.  Horton would have been a staple at LG if not for injury. No doubt.   But Tega was benched because he wasn’t ready.  CHH figured that out in game 3 or 4?  And yes, DJ was injured, but it was his injury that led CHH to discover a more productive line.  

In 2016, if it weren’t for the injury to the starting C, CHH may have never found the “best 5” grouping.  

So if anything, injuries have helped CHH discover what he should have figured out in the Spring, or at least in Fall Camp.  

Anyway, my point was that I don’t want that to happen in 2018.  If/when injuries occur, we’ll have to adjust.  But I want the best 5 out there on day 1 for the first time in CHH’s tenure.  

Obviously, we look at this question from different angles. That's ok. :thumbsup:

14 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Short version:
The situation at Auburn has remained unusually fluid during Hand's tenure.

Long version:
-Everything started clicking about the same time Hand and Lindsey traded places on the sideline and in the box. That's a pretty significant change. *For the purposes of this conversation, responsibility for the existing arrangement and the change is irrelevant.* 

-The offense may or may not have changed significantly in other ways around that same time. Same with the previous year. You likely already have your opinions about that. *Again, just offering the possibility. I hope anyone actually reading this will join me in leaving it there.*

-Center is possibly the 2nd-most cerebral position in football. I can forgive a coach for taking a minute to get a guy new to our team and new to D1 football ready to take the reigns, especially with the luxury of having Golson there. I view the center position as the lead domino in the OL shuffle this year, but I could be wrong. 

-Tega played well for a rookie. He was benched because Golson was a vastly more experienced guy who, once freed up from other duties, was a no brainer to take over at LT. 

-Hand has been working primarily with Grimes's recruits. By itself, it's not an excuse. Taken into account with all the other fluidity over the last 2 seasons in addition to that already stated above- broken jaws, changing OCs, certain game plans that seemed to be significant departures from the norm, multiple QBs with vastly different skillsets in some cases, about 17 different issues at RB that often changed the game plan... I mean, has he had a single constant other than Braden Smith?- it's worth mentioning. 

-*It's generally accepted that Gus's offenses are never settled until 3-4 games in. I take that into consideration when assessing the OL and their coach's performance. 

The theme is, ironically, consistent: Auburn football has been a box of chocolates for Herb Hand, probably even more than it has been for we fans. The extent to which he has contributed to that can be discussed, but he is not in charge and I personally assume him to be more victim than perpetrator thus far in his tenure.

*I find very valid reasons for this- reasons that did not apply in 2014, when the offense was in 5th gear in week 1. Unfortunately, we do not return a Rimington-winning center this season.

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

So this Barnes cat is a pretty good OL. It would be nice to discuss him.

A little early for that one. But by all means, let's discuss him. What ya got?

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

A little early for that one.

No it's not. This whole page has been a derailment so far save for @Randman5000's post that was ignored. I haven't even gone back to the previous page to see how far the derailment goes but 7 of the last 8 posts from this page at minimum being a off topic is definitely not too early for a get on topic post.

11 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

let's discuss him. What ya got?

Not much but that doesn't mean, "Hey. Let's derail the thread."

Take the other stuff to PMs or a relevent thread in the football forum.

4 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I heard UF is leading.  I hope we find a way to land him.  I really wanted a solid OT in this class!!!

Is he mean? Is he nasty? I really hope we find some of that in this class, even more than some of the other attributes we tend to value. 

42 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Is he mean? Is he nasty? I really hope we find some of that in this class, even more than some of the other attributes we tend to value. 

Al I know is he's a guy AU likes at both OT or OG depending on what else we get in February.

Just now, ellitor said:

Al I know is he's a guy AU likes at either OT or OG depending on what else we get in February.

After seeing Golson used so well, versatility is another good quality. 

So OV on 2/2, I guess that means we're waiting at least until February...

PS- My apologies on that other thing. You were right. It went back way further than I thought. 

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

So OV on 2/2, I guess that means we're waiting at least until February...

If the visits hold we get the last one which is the position you always want.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

PS- My apologies on that other thing. You were right. It went back way further than I thought. 

No worries.

4 minutes ago, Potatooooooes!! said:

Does anyone know his interest level in us?

He's taking an OV to AU the last recruiting weekend of the cycle so he's at least solisly interested.

If we somehow managed to pluck Barnes and/or Gouraige from Quasimodo, that would do two things:  (1) likely lead to Dan fabricating NCAA allegations against Auburn for a second time; and (2) solidify a second consecutive OL that is fantastically well-rounded. I mean, it really would be incredible to sign, in two years time, this list:

C - Brahms (4*)
C/G - Irvin (4*)
G - Stutts (3*)
G/T - Troxell (4*)/Barnes (4*)
T - Ashley (5*)/Gouraige (4*)

I love the video on both Barnes and Gouraige.

3 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

If we somehow managed to pluck Barnes and/or Gouraige from Quasimodo, that would do two things:  (1) likely lead to Dan fabricating NCAA allegations against Auburn for a second time; and (2) solidify a second consecutive OL that is fantastically well-rounded. I mean, it really would be incredible to sign, in two years time, this list:

C - Brahms (4*)
C/G - Irvin (4*)
G - Stutts (3*)
G/T - Troxell (4*)/Barnes (4*)
T - Ashley (5*)/Gouraige (4*)

I love the video on both Barnes and Gouraige.

I like your pos thinking and we can do it too. That is how we stay up with the mutts 

20 hours ago, ellitor said:

No it's not. This whole page has been a derailment so far save for @Randman5000's post that was ignored. I haven't even gone back to the previous page to see how far the derailment goes but 7 of the last 8 posts from this page at minimum being a off topic is definitely not too early for a get on topic post.

Never!  It isn't the AUFamily way unless every thread get derailed at some point, with 95% of the time bashing some coach for being terrible at his job.  Hey I somehow managed to derail the bowl game injury thread yesterday talking about shakers so anything is possible.

28 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

with 95% of the time bashing some coach for being terrible at his job

Or passive aggressively bashing those who would dare come to a football message board to offer their own thoughts on football coaches.

Hopefully our coaches can get us a stud OL like Barnes.

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Or passive aggressively bashing those who would dare come to a football message board to offer their own thoughts on football coaches.

There is a difference between offering thoughts and only coming on the board to go after our coaches, and not offering anything constructive.  Not referencing you specifically.  You aren't that bad, although you have tried to come after my case as of late which is a little confusing as I have agreed with your comments in the past.

Archived