Texas A&M -- Sumlin -- Hot Seat

RunInRed

35 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Better hope that isn't the case. Dude will DOMINATE in the SEC

Not sure what his record is against the SEC but this is not the Pac10 or 12 or whatever when USCw was in trouble.  

Bring him on as far as I'm concerned.......

let him see what it's like to play Auburn, Bama, LSU , Ga , Florida, etc.  every week.....not just once every now and then.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

That sounds familiar huh?

If you are referring to Gus... no, not really. Gus is FAR more successful with just a good QB than Sumlin. Sumlin wouldn't have had near the success with Marshall either. Yes, when we've gone to the big show, we've had a star QB, and when we won, we had one who could put the team on his back, but A&M hasn't even come close to an SEC championship let alone a playoff birth. Last year, we were 2 injuries away from potentially getting both, with 2 games left in the season and a QB who was very accurate but not carrying anything.

On 9/5/2017 at 5:55 AM, cptau said:

Sumlin's got a better winning percentage than most  coaches at TAM for the last 100 years, including the Bryant guy.   Only RC slocun is better.  Mike Sherman who Sumlin replaced at TAN also had a problem with building large leads and blowing them in the 4th quarter.  Winning at TAM isn't easy. 

You would be very correct sir prior to them joining the SEC . I firmly believe that is a game changer for them. If they get the right coach there they should be a very legitimate threat in this conference. All the other pieces are in place there. Excellent facilities, plenty of money behind the program, and a talent rich base from which to recruit. 

On 9/4/2017 at 11:09 PM, AU64 said:

Heard a great comment today about this game.

A guy said that in just  18 minutes Chip Kelly went from being the next coach at UCLA to being the next coach at Texas A and M. ;)

I will be shocked if they don't make a run at Stoops. May be a year or two early, but I certainly don't expect him to stay retired.  He is only 54, or 55 I believe. 

7 minutes ago, Eagle-1 said:

I will be shocked if they don't make a run at Stoops. May be a year or two early, but I certainly don't expect him to stay retired.  He is only 54, or 55 I believe. 

Which Stoops.?   ..hard to see one of them leaving Oklahoma and going back to the grind after only a year or two but I'm also guessing that coaching is addictive and most guys can't voluntarily give up the game while they are still having good results.

On 9/5/2017 at 7:33 AM, gravejd said:

Looks like A&M has started their annual disappearing act early it seems. Bad opening week for state of Texas. Baylor, A&M, and Texas all lost

Not only did Baylor lose but they lost to Liberty.

Listening to discussion on the subject of "hot seat" and seems about half the coaches in the SEC are on the hot seat...or are too new to be there...yet.

Gus, Butch, Sumlin, Bubba and to some extent McElwain.  New coaches at SCe, UGA, LSU, Mizz and Ole Miss are still on their honeymoon.   

Truly safe coaches....Saban for obvious reasons and Mullen because his fan base has realistic expectations. .....Vandy and Kentucky because they have never had much success and fans are pretty happy to just be competitive from time to time.

Overall, coaching in the SEC is as bad as I can ever remember.

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Listening to discussion on the subject of "hot seat" and seems about half the coaches in the SEC are on the hot seat...or are too new to be there...yet.

Gus, Butch, Sumlin, Bubba and to some extent McElwain.  New coaches at SCe, UGA, LSU, Mizz and Ole Miss are still on their honeymoon.   

Truly safe coaches....Saban for obvious reasons and Mullen because his fan base has realistic expectations. .....Vandy and Kentucky because they have never had much success and fans are pretty happy to just be competitive from time to time.

Because who wants to come coach here?  You have to be an idiot to coach in the SEC with the run Bama is on right now.  Everything you do is going to be compared to Saban and his insane run.  And if they are crazy enough to come get a paycheck they are fired in 4-5 years because they haven't lived up to Saban.  

9 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Because who wants to come coach here?  You have to be an idiot to coach in the SEC with the run Bama is on right now.  Everything you do is going to be compared to Saban and his insane run.  And if they are crazy enough to come get a paycheck they are fired in 4-5 years because they haven't lived up to Saban.  

A confident coach would be chomping at the bit to take down the "king" and take his place. 

10 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

A confident coach would be chomping at the bit to take down the "king" and take his place. 

Maybe, but I truly don't think so.  In fact I would say just the opposite.  He ran off Urban & Fanklin.  Franklin had it easy.  He only had to make the bowl game every few years and he would have been an idle at Vandy.  Confidence does not come in here and beat that crap going on across the state more than once or twice.  Confidence doesn't win games and everyone knows it.  The deck is stacked against you almost every year with the talent they have riding the pine.

58 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Maybe, but I truly don't think so.  In fact I would say just the opposite.  He ran off Urban & Fanklin.  Franklin had it easy.  He only had to make the bowl game every few years and he would have been an idle at Vandy.  Confidence does not come in here and beat that crap going on across the state more than once or twice.  Confidence doesn't win games and everyone knows it.  The deck is stacked against you almost every year with the talent they have riding the pine.

If someone were to ask you if you wanted to coach at Vandy or PSU(despite their problems), who would you choose? Franklin is doing well up there and their paychecks are likely better and only going to increase. It was only a matter of time before he moved up anyhow. Mason may wind up following the same trend.

Meyer, you might have a point. 

On ‎9‎/‎13‎/‎2017 at 0:51 PM, lkeel75 said:

Why not? From the truly mercenary position, 4 or 5 years at most of these schools, can make for a very nice retirement nest egg one day.  Most will continue to work in sometype coaching/analyst capacity also.

Ran off Franklin????he went to penn state.   Top 20 program of all time.  Not sure about Meyer?? That is still a mystery to me why he left.   In my opinion it wasn't saban.   He definitely ran off chizik 

On 9/13/2017 at 10:41 AM, AU64 said:

I can certainly think of one head coach in the SEC West who is part of the problem.

On 9/14/2017 at 8:49 PM, aubaseball said:

Ran off Franklin????he went to penn state.   Top 20 program of all time.  Not sure about Meyer?? That is still a mystery to me why he left.   In my opinion it wasn't saban.   He definitely ran off chizik 

Urban left because his UF program was headed down. Remember the fake retirement? He knew his run at UF was over. He came back and went 7-5 in the regular season, losing to every ranked opponent and an unbanked Mississippi State at home. Then he really retired. He knew he wanted to go somewhere else, but did not want to have two or three middling years on his record. It was a total self-preservation move.

Archived