Trump’s Attack On Black Athletes May Bring a League to Its Feet

Auburn85

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Yeah, if you mean the reaction to Trumps comment, I’d agree with this. But you didn’t mean this reaction of faux outrage now did you?

One day the “owners are blacklisting Kaepernick,” the next, “they lock arms in unity.”

Give me a break.

I'm talking about the booing, the calls for boycotts, Trump's idiotic comment, and some of the counter reactions to it.  

Give me a break.

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, TitanTiger said:

How about this...as far as this country's history of protests go...such as dumping about $1.7 million worth (in today's money) of tea into Boston Harbor, sit-ins at lunch counters and restaurants all across the South, massive marches that clogged up several city blocks in various cities...kneeling down during the national anthem has to be one of the least obtrusive or disruptive forms of protest ever attempted.  They aren't shouting or using noisemakers to drown out the anthem.  They aren't running around on the field demanding attention.  They aren't unfurling huge banners to block anyone's view of the flag.  They aren't preventing anyone from doing anything.  It's a rather easy thing to ignore if you choose to do so.  

Seriously? in this case they are quite literally "running on a field" and "in front of TV cameras" looking for attention....have you watched a broadcast?  The real issue is that working class people are actually paying hundreds of dollars in tickets and concessions costs "live"; or they pay ridiculous cable fees;  for the privilege" of tolerating these millionaire's tantrum.  It's a little hard to listen/watch  millionaires complain about how hard their lives are and how oppressed they are for playing a game; when you've seen prices for their product skyrocket in the last 20 years while you've  had stagnant wages for 20 years.  

Just now, TitanTiger said:

'Im talking about the booing, the calls for boycotts,

So you commend one form of protest for its “peacefulness” and critizice another. 

End Thread

Just now, japantiger said:

Seriously? in this case they are quite literally "running on a field" and "in front of TV cameras" looking for attention....have you watched a broadcast? 

No, they are not.  Stop lying.

They run onto the field at the start of the game like they always have.  The protest is simply kneeling on the sidelines.  That's all it has ever been.  

And yes I watch the broadcasts, because I'm not a butthurt nancy boycotting games because someone didn't genuflect to my beloved symbols like I wanted them to.

The real issue is that working class people are actually paying hundreds of dollars in tickets and concessions costs "live"; or they pay ridiculous cable fees;  for the privilege" of tolerating these millionaire's tantrum.  It's a little hard to listen/watch  millionaires complain about how hard their lives are and how oppressed they are for playing a game; when you've seen prices for their product skyrocket in the last 20 years while you've  had stagnant wages for 20 years.  

It's hardly the real issue.

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

So you commend one form of protest for its “peacefulness” and critizice another. 

End Thread

No, I commend a form of protest that is peaceful and doesn't threaten or interrupt anyone else.

I criticize those that disrupt others from participating, and threaten or seek to coerce those they disagree with.

4 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I criticize those that disrupt others from participating, and threaten or coerce those they disagree with.

And at what point has either side done any of the above?  The angst over an SOB comment is perfectly fine but the rest of the Avid NFL fans that are tired of a year long baseless protest are butthurt. 

Got it.

Titan, if the players want to protest, so be it. But if the fans want to protest, they arent allowed?.Free Speech only for the players?

Free Speech, including boycotts etc are all apart of this. You should be proud that it isnt violent etc. Fans are speaking with the controller and ticket sales.

This weekend there were ticket offers of $4 for the 49ers. 

Please listen to the Shannon Sharpe video. He takes it right to the MONEY.

The Owners joining the protests this weekend were against Trump, not in support of the players. 

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

And at what point has either side done any of the above?  The angst over an SOB comment is perfectly fine but the rest of the Avid Znfl fans that are tired of a year long protest are butthurt. 

Got it.

It wasn't just the "son of a bitch" comment (he didn't use "SOB"), though that was ridiculously unprofessional and unpresidential *shocker*.

He was suggesting they be fired.  And yes, there have been all kinds of people trying to force the NFL's hand and get them to crack down on the protests, calling for players to be fired and so on.  I won't even get into the things people say to the players directly on social media and such.  

At some point, the butthurt fans having a cow over this need to realize they are fueling the protest even more with their overreactions.  The way this dies down sooner is to simply allow it and if it's not something you agree with, ignore it.  The vitriolic response basically says to the protesters that they have a valid point and it's getting people's attention.  Just from a pragmatic standpoint, those who don't like these protests are doing the exact opposite of what they should do if they want to see it end.

2 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Titan, if the players want to protest, so be it. But if the fans want to protest, they arent allowed?.Free Speech only for the players?

I'm all for peaceful protest.  For instance, there are players who for various reasons (military family, their own military service, etc.) cannot bring themselves to kneel during the anthem even if they agree with the concerns of those who do.  And they chose to stand in defiance of their teammates.  It's in some ways a counterprotest.  

2 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Free Speech, including boycotts etc are all apart of this. You should be proud that it isnt violent etc. Fans are speaking with the controller and ticket sales.

The Owners joining the protests this weekend were against Trump, not in support of the players. 

I am of the mind that boycotts (of all kinds) have gotten out of hand and are usually misguided to begin with.  When the CEO of Firefox was forced out by rabid left wingers because he had supported Prop 8 in California, I thought that was ridiculous and frankly chilling on free speech.  And that's hardly the only person who has had their livelihood threatened or lost over similar witch hunts.  I find it equally ridiculous to be trying to get these players protests shut down by the league or pressure owners to fire them over it.  

Maybe it's my music background.  I worked in the industry for years and have been a big fan for many more.  If I wasted all my time concerning myself with the political views and expressions of artists and boycotting those who do or say things I don't like, I'd have a music collection of about 4 albums.  It's just not worth it.  I think the reaction is over the top.

18 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

He was suggesting they be fired

He was talking about the business model. Ratings going down because of it. 

The vitriolic response basically says to the protesters that they have a valid point

Only in Titan world does criticism over the ir usage of the flag have anything to do with so called police brutality. 

At some point, the butthurt fans having a cow

The media propped up the players as having a cow over a simple SOB comment, and now all of a sudden, after watching this protest for over a year, we are the ones having a cow. 

13 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

He was talking about the business model. Ratings going down because of it. 

No, he wasn't.  His quote:

"If a player wants the privilege of making millions of dollars in the NFL, or other leagues, he or she should not be allowed to disrespect our Great American Flag (or Country) and should stand for the National Anthem," Trump tweeted on Saturday. "If not, YOU'RE FIRED. Find something else to do!"

Only in Titan world does criticism over the flag have anything to do with so called police brutality. 

You continue to misrepresent or fail to understand my position.  I have said at least two or three times now that whether I agree with their reasons for protesting are irrelevant.  They have nothing to do with my views on this.

The media propped up the players as having a cow over a simple SOB comment, and now all of a sudden, after watching this protest for over a year, we are the ones having a cow. 

Bull****.  They had a cow a year ago when Kaepernick was the only one doing it.  The cow birthing has been going on since the beginning of it.  It's not just because of watching the protests for a year or it being over a "simple son of a bitch comment."

Like I said - if you really want this form of protest to go away, you're going about it the completely wrong way. 

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

You continue to misrepresent or fail to understand my position.  I have said at least two or three times now that whether I agree with their reasons for protesting are irrelevant.  They have nothing to do with my views on this.

You said our response basically validates their point. What point. Does my response to their usage of the flag over fake outrage validate Kaepernicks point that the cops were meant to be slave drivers. Non sequitiur right? You tell me 

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

had a cow a year ago when Kaepernick was the only one doing it.  The cow birthing has been going on since the beginning of it

Oh! So we are having an extended cow for well over a year now. :dead: 

Kaepernick admitted that if he got signed, he’d quit protesting so basically he’s using a gigantic race card and anybody peeved by it are “butthurt Nancy’s” just because you say they are. Mmk

I’m over this convaersation. Have a good one.

22 minutes ago, DKW 86 said:

Don't the fans disrespect it every time the anthem is being played when they are taking a piss during it, buying a beer during it, going to have a smoke during it, filming with their cell phone during it, sitting on their couch during it, talking during it, yelling profanities at silent kneelers during it, taking selfies during it, checking their phones during it, walking to their seats during it............seriously I could go on    People have been disrespecting the anthem at every sporting event forever.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

You said our response basically validates their point. What point. 

In their minds.  That's what it says to them.  It gives them the sense that they struck a nerve and that their point is valid.  It means their protest is being noticed.  All things they want.  If you want them to stop and find a different way to protest, stop feeding their sense that it's doing what it was intended to do.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Oh! So we are having an extended cow for well over a year now. :dead: 

Kaepernick admitted that if he got signed, he’d quit protesting so basically he’s using gigantic race card and anybody peeved by it are “butthurt Nancy’s” just because you say they are. Mmk

I’m over this convaersation. Have a good one.

tenor.gif

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Don't the fans disrespect it every time the anthem is being played when they are taking a piss during it, buying a beer during it, going to have a smoke during it, filming with their cell phone during it, sitting on their couch during it, talking during it, yelling profanities at silent kneelers during it, taking selfies during it, checking their phones during it, walking to their seats during it............seriously I could go on    People have been disrespecting the anthem at every sporting event forever.

According to the flag code, people disrespect the flag all the time in many ways:

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/entry/american-flag-disrespect-tru_us_59c7140be4b06ddf45f867a0?ncid=engmodushpmg00000003

13 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

their minds.  That's what it says to them.

Well if they’re that naïve, and uneducated to misconstrue a crystal clear message, that is on them. Not my problem.

10 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

According to the flag code, people disrespect the flag all the time in many ways:

Don’t be disingenuous with your argument. It’s obvious that the intention of disrespecting the flag  is the crux of the matter. 

11 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

No, they are not.  Stop lying.

They run onto the field at the start of the game like they always have.  The protest is simply kneeling on the sidelines.  That's all it has ever been.  

And yes I watch the broadcasts, because I'm not a butthurt nancy boycotting games because someone didn't genuflect to my beloved symbols like I wanted them to.

It's hardly the real issue.

You obviously have not watched a broadcast....entire teams didn't come onto the field....and you want to split hares on whether or not this is or is not "running onto the field".    Really?  How about reading my actual words and then respond...I don't think I've made a single reference to my "butthurt" at disrespect for the flag ((the reality is I'm never surprised at what a leftist will do to dishonor the nation that provides them all their livelihood; it's  SOP for the left;).....I actually went out of my way to ensure it was clear this wasn't the case.  This is about having to endure endless leftists horse***t (or any horse***t for that matter) when all you want to do is watch a stinkin football game that you paid for.... football is like going to Six Flags or having a nice long dinner out or going to the theatre...it's an afternoon or evening of mindless entertainment...I don't want my meal served with a side of faux indignation....keep your opinions to yourself and 'entertain me" as billed...if you've got a good cause, find a forum appropriate for communicating it and then maybe I'll listen...if you have a cause; it will be obvious....people will rally to it.  

8 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Well if they’re that naïve, and uneducated to misconstrue a crystal clear message, that is on them. Not my problem.

Don’t be disingenuous with your argument. It’s obvious that the intention of disrespecting the flag  is the crux of the matter. 

So even though they have said hundreds of times that it is not the intention you still think it is?  Do you know why they are kneeling?

10 minutes ago, japantiger said:

You obviously have not watched a broadcast....entire teams didn't come onto the field....and you want to split hares on whether or not this is or is not "running onto the field".    Really?  How about reading my actual words and then respond...I don't think I've made a single reference to my "butthurt" at disrespect for the flag ((the reality is I'm never surprised at what a leftist will do to dishonor the nation that provides them all their livelihood; it's  SOP for the left;).....I actually went out of my way to ensure it was clear this wasn't the case.  This is about having to endure endless leftists horse***t (or any horse***t for that matter) when all you want to do is watch a stinkin football game that you paid for.... football is like going to Six Flags or having a nice long dinner out or going to the theatre...it's an afternoon or evening of mindless entertainment...I don't want my meal served with a side of faux indignation....keep your opinions to yourself and 'entertain me" as billed...if you've got a good cause, find a forum appropriate for communicating it and then maybe I'll listen...if you have a cause; it will be obvious....people will rally to it.  

First, I think that they made a poor decision to use the anthem as a tool for social injustice, hence I agree with you on that.  However, it is their right, just like it is the right for hate groups to have rallies.  But when the President of the United States says there are some good ones in one group and the others are son of a biitches, that I have a problem with.  That is divisive rhetoric from our President and made this a right v left thing, it was his choice to do that.   I have said from the get go the best way they should have protested using the venue of the games was to do some altering of the uniform, whether it be a band, tape or whatever to raise issue to the cause.  With the NFL's strict uniform policy they would have been forced to have made a decision on how to handle it bringing the issue into the spotlight.   

2 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Do you know why they are kneeling?

Police are slave drivers, yadda, yadda, yadda. 

Answer me this, how long is this going to last? This protest has lasted for a year now. As far as I know, no recent white cop on minority shootings recently. Even Ferguson was organized enough to have some common goal. 

3 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

So even though they have said hundreds of times that it is not the intention you still think it is?

So they sit or kneel during the Anthem but they say that their intention isn’t to disrespect the flag and that makes everything okay?

23 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Look at it this way, and from the perspective of one who thinks the reasoning for the protests is faulty or even ridiculous:  

If a child is acting out in some way, throwing a fit for instance, one of the best ways to stop that kind of behavior is to calmly pick them up, place them in their room, close the door and walk away.  Or alternately, just walk into another room and let them have their tantrum right there.  Do not give them attention.  As long as they know it bothers you or gets your attention, they will keep doing it.  When they realize that you don't care or aren't going to grant them that attention, they will stop.

Now that analogy isn't perfect.  These players aren't your children and you don't get to tell them what to do.  The issue they are raising is important even if we disagree on some of the particulars or whether this is the best way to call attention to it.  But the fact remains, if you continue to flip your s*** over it, it has the natural byproduct of validating the tactic in the minds of those doing it.

I'm not being disingenuous.  People are up here acting like the flag is some vial of Jesus' blood or something, yet they'll absentmindedly look around, go to the bathroom, stand in line for a hot dog, talk to their friend, or do all sorts of other things with the flag that is disrespectful.  I mean, if the simple act of kneeling is so terrible, what exactly is pulling on a pair of American flag boxers to cover your ass all day?

But if we're going to make "intent" the thing that determines whether something is ok or not, perhaps then you should listen to those who are protesting.  Because they have said what their intent is repeatedly and that it is not intent to disrespect the flag.

6 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Police are slave drivers, yadda, yadda, yadda. 

Answer me this, how long is this going to last? This protest has lasted for a year now. As far as I know, no recent white cop on minority shootings recently. Even Ferguson was organized enough to have some common goal. 

So they sit or kneel during the Anthem but they say that their intention isn’t to disrespect the flag and that makes everything okay?

Missed my point, my bad.  Remember CK sat on the bench at first.  After speaking with a veteran, the veteran recommended that he kneel, because that is what soldiers do when the flag is put over a fallen brother or sister.  The veteran said in doing this you are still honoring those that served and the flag, CK said that is what I want.

If Trump really wanted players to stop kneeling he should have said he thought it was the best way to protest ever.......

But he likes to throw gas on a fire and make it about him.

Just now, wdefromtx said:

If Trump really wanted players to stop kneeling he should have said he thought it was the best way to protest ever.......

But he likes to throw gas on a fire and make it about him.

Bingo.

Archived