Trump’s Attack On Black Athletes May Bring a League to Its Feet

Auburn85

2 hours ago, japantiger said:

Wow, that's splitting hairs...how about this...who goes to an evening of entertainment to "listen to or look at" spoiled brats trot out their latest faux outrage?  Football is a sight and sound sensory experience ...mostly sight.

That's very condescending and implies the inherent racism they are protesting.  

• Replies 245
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Disagree with you here. They are definitely interrupting the anthem. They are bringing attention to themselves and taking it away from the anthem. When the fans boo these people for kneeling they are saying we did not spend hundreds of dollars today to see you kneel during our national anthem, we paid to see you play football.

They didn't spend hundreds of dollars to hear the national anthem either.   ;D

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

Probably b/c there is no avenue for someone like Kaepernick to stir up controversy over these lives or no way to gain publicity. Anybody who thinks he started this whole kneeling crap for a good cause I got some swamp land in the desert I'll sell you cheap.

So what was his cause, since you seem to know?

18 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I'm not being disingenuous.  People are up here acting like the flag is some vial of Jesus' blood or something

I don’t see this and I don’t know where this is coming from. The flag is symbolic to our country and serves as a vehicle of expression and meaning for our country, tethered, half mast, etc. If there are actual grievances, use the flag. I said the same thing about the Vietnam Vets And said they were in the right. However it’s apples and oranges when people “disrespect” the flag by going to piss right before by the National Anthem or by wearing an American flag logo on the back. I used to dodge reveille all the time by jumping into cars and buildings. Does that mean I’m disrespectful to the military? 

25 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Because they have said what their intent is repeatedly and that it is not intent to disrespect the flag.

But yet they know that they are disrespecting and continue to do it. 

26 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Now that analogy isn't perfect.

Children throwing a fit is almost spot on. I’ll give you that one. It’s not like I can just ignore it and it will go away though. Calling them SOB’s and saying they should be fired is just a half hearted excuse to get their panties twisted. 

Hell, I’m ready to give into their demands just so these drama queens will quit sharing the stage with the National Football League. 

21 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

First, I think that they made a poor decision to use the anthem as a tool for social injustice, hence I agree with you on that.  However, it is their right, just like it is the right for hate groups to have rallies.  But when the President of the United States says there are some good ones in one group and the others are son of a biitches, that I have a problem with.  That is divisive rhetoric from our President and made this a right v left thing, it was his choice to do that.   I have said from the get go the best way they should have protested using the venue of the games was to do some altering of the uniform, whether it be a band, tape or whatever to raise issue to the cause.  With the NFL's strict uniform policy they would have been forced to have made a decision on how to handle it bringing the issue into the spotlight.   

It is their right; that doesn't make it right to intrude on mine or anyone else's private time...likewise,. Trump is a citizen like they are ... he has the same free speech right as they do ... whether you like what he says or not is irrelevant....just because he became president, it didn't change his 1st amendment rights....and at least he doesn't interrupt my football game .... so frankly,  I could give a s*** what he thinks or says about them...I can form my own opinion.  Name one other business that tolerates this kind of display from their employees on work time?  The answer is none.  And, if you remember, when it was Tebow who wanted to "intrude on the game" or when the  Cowboy's wanted to recognize the 5 slain Dallas police officers, the NFL didn't think it appropriate either...the NFL made this an issue by not enforcing their policy here like they have in all other cases.  They are now living with both the customer complaint side of this and the inevitable financial fallout that will come....they have no one to blame but themselves....

1 hour ago, japantiger said:

Seriously? in this case they are quite literally "running on a field" and "in front of TV cameras" looking for attention....have you watched a broadcast?  The real issue is that working class people are actually paying hundreds of dollars in tickets and concessions costs "live"; or they pay ridiculous cable fees;  for the privilege" of tolerating these millionaire's tantrum.  It's a little hard to listen/watch  millionaires complain about how hard their lives are and how oppressed they are for playing a game; when you've seen prices for their product skyrocket in the last 20 years while you've  had stagnant wages for 20 years.  

Capitalism sucks!  Free football for the masses!!  :laugh:

1 hour ago, DKW 86 said:

Titan, if the players want to protest, so be it. But if the fans want to protest, they arent allowed?.Free Speech only for the players?

Free Speech, including boycotts etc are all apart of this. You should be proud that it isnt violent etc. Fans are speaking with the controller and ticket sales.

This weekend there were ticket offers of $4 for the 49ers. 

Please listen to the Shannon Sharpe video. He takes it right to the MONEY.

The Owners joining the protests this weekend were against Trump, not in support of the players. 

Jeff, is that you??

:rolleyes:

24 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

Remember CK sat on the bench at first.

Sitting during the Anthem is just as disrespectful. You’re point? 

25 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

After speaking with a veteran, the veteran recommended that he kneel, because that is what soldiers do when the flag is put over a fallen brother or sister.

A link for this anecdote? Plenty of veterans say otherwise, including Villanueva, an Airborne Ranger that has served three tours in Afghanistan. A flag being draped over the fallen soldiers that fought for peaceful protest should be a huge reason for avoiding disrespecting the flag until it becomes a neccessary evil. 

1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

You continue to misrepresent or fail to understand my position.  I have said at least two or three times now that whether I agree with their reasons for protesting are irrelevant.  They have nothing to do with my views on this.

That's his M.O.

2 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Jeff, is that you??

:rolleyes:

Whenever you’re ready for a valid conversation, call upon Ben so Ben and I can have one. Everyone here knows you’re just his cheerleader.

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Sitting during the Anthem is just as disrespectful. You’re point? 

A link for this anecdote? Plenty of veterans say otherwise, including Villanueva, an Airborne Ranger that has served three tours in Afghanistan. A flag being draped over the fallen soldiers that fought for peaceful protest should be a huge reason for avoiding disrespecting the flag until it becomes a neccessary evil. 

I just saw the interview yesterday, it was the first I had heard of it and the video was from last year, I am pretty sure.  That is another thing as veterans seem to be divided on the issue as well.  From all the ones I have spoken with that I know are veterans, not keyboard claimers, they are evenly divided.

https://undertheradar.military.com/2016/09/kaepernick-meets-veteran-nate-boyer-kneels-anthem/

23 minutes ago, homersapien said:

They didn't spend hundreds of dollars to hear the national anthem either.   ;D

Did you find you and Colin a job yet? I suggest rodeo clown for both of you. ;D

13 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

That's not what Villanueva says:

Villanueva and his teammates indicated a day later that his presence outside the tunnel actually occurred accidentally rather than by design. He said he had wanted to see the flag before the game but was still outside when the anthem began, at which point he did not want to move. Yet he subsequently felt as if he'd broken ranks and admitted there was pressure to stand from fellow veterans, including those injured in wars abroad.

"Unfortunately, I threw (my teammates) under the bus, unintentionally," he said. "Every single time I see that picture of me standing by myself, I feel embarrassed.

"We as a team tried to figure it out. Obviously we butchered it. ... I'm not gonna pretend I have some kind of righteous voice."

https://www.usatoday.com/story/sports/nfl/steelers/2017/09/25/alejandro-villanueva-national-anthem-pittsburgh-steelers-protest-trump/702056001/

22 minutes ago, homersapien said:

That's very condescending and implies the inherent racism they are protesting.  

You got to help me here homey...so calling spoiled brats, "brats" is racism?  And calling out CK's faux outrage is racism?   The man who said he would stop this protest if he signed with another team?   Yeah, he's a real social justice warrior....his $126m contract was just another example of "the man" keeping him down....  at least your consistent..completely incoherent, but consistent.  

22 minutes ago, homersapien said:

So what was his cause, since you seem to know?

I said it plainly in the post: stir up controversy and gain publicity for himself. He has succeeded well in both.

Other than the war between conservatives and liberals, what's the attraction to this story?  I haven't heard enlightened new spin on this since last year....just the same circles.

8 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

Did you find you and Colin a job yet? I suggest rodeo clown for both of you. ;D

I don't have to work.  I expect that's true for Colin also.  

Meanwhile, does your employer know you are wasting your time on the internet?  

Just now, homersapien said:

I don't have to work.  I expect that's true for Colin also.  

Meanwhile, does your employer know you are wasting your time on the internet?  

yes

10 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

That's not what Villanueva says:

Wow. Watch his interview. He clearly says it. He even used the words moral dilemma regarding wanting to stand for the Anthem even though the coach wanted 100 percent team participation in whatever COA they chose. 

12 minutes ago, japantiger said:

You got to help me here homey...so calling spoiled brats, "brats" is racism?  And calling out CK's faux outrage is racism?   The man who said he would stop this protest if he signed with another team?   Yeah, he's a real social justice warrior....his $126m contract was just another example of "the man" keeping him down....  at least your consistent..completely incoherent, but consistent.  

You implied they weren't entitled to protest against the disproportionate use of violence against black people by the police - presumably because they are rich  - then you showed contempt for the issue,  declaring it to be a false one.

That "implies inherent racism" which it does.  It reflects your lack of empathy toward black people and this issue that concerns them.

Try to be honest with yourself.  

22 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

That is another thing as veterans seem to be divided on the issue as well

An ultra/ overwhelming majority of vets are not conflicted at all. As a matter of fact, you should know this since a lib rag website accused the military of turning veterans racist and we discussed this on this very site.

25 minutes ago, auburnphan said:

From all the ones I have spoken with that I know are veterans, not keyboard claimers, they are evenly divided.

You probably know a mere handful. Who are the “keyboard claimers?” Just curious...

16 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

I said it plainly in the post: stir up controversy and gain publicity for himself. He has succeeded well in both.

And how is it you know this, other than that is just what you want to believe?

Do you think it's even possible Colin is concerned about excessive violence used by police against blacks?

Archived