Moore-Strange?  

24 members have voted

1. 1. Moore-Strange?

• Moore
    • Strange
    • Aubie the Tiger

2 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

In what ways is he moderate for a Dem?

Don’t get me wrong, I’m not saying he’s a moderate, I’m just saying his views arent as left as Bernie, Warren, or the Trotskiest anarcho communism supporters.

• Replies 562
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Eschew the recent developments, can you offer the reason why so many people view Moore supporting Christians as hypo

I can try.

Christianity is based on the teachings of Jesus.  A large part of those teachings focused the castigation of wealth hoarders and sanctimonious legalists.  Another large area of focus was inclusion of those that were outcasts due to their religious transgressions or their foreign origins.  One other is the promotion of peace even in the face of offense.

As the saying goes we all fall short of these, but when a candidate runs as the candidate of piety while vocally expressing views counter to all of these Christian tenets opponents of religion are supplied with plenty of ammunition to level criticisms of hypocrisy.

A counter to this usually comes from the single voter pro-life contingency.  In other words, all of these issues I've raised matter not until the issue of abortion is addressed.  That holds very little esteem to me when that contingency refuses to see the logic on increased access to both control methods that have been proven to reduce the numbers of abortions.  

I'm going to be very busy today.  I always enjoy our discussions, but I may be slow in responding this week.

Cheers.

1 hour ago, HVAU said:

Christianity is based on the teachings of Jesus.  A large part of those teachings focused the castigation of wealth hoarders

Not really. It reprimands greed and the love of money because at that point, money becomes an idol. The Bible encourages giving but doesn’t exactly reprimand those that fills their basket first.

1 hour ago, HVAU said:

Another large area of focus was inclusion of those that were outcasts due to their religious transgressions or their foreign origins

I’d like some examples. Obviously the refugee situation offered major security problems that had nothing to do with religion. As far as gay marriage, new age Chrisians are accepting and believe homosexuality isn’t a sin. You seem to have broad, cookie- cutter views on the diverse religions within the Christianity umbrella and choose to forget this. Maybe you have a gripe when Southern Baptists refuse to bake a wedding cake for a homosexual party, but at what point does inclusion evolve to acceptance and support of the behavior that they don’t agree with? 

1 hour ago, HVAU said:

As the saying goes we all fall short of these, but when a candidate runs as the candidate of piety while vocally expressing views counter to all of these Christian tenets opponents of religion are supplied with plenty of ammunition to level criticisms of hypocrisy.

Our government isn’t a theocracy. We have laws and issues that are way too complex to be judged primarily through the lens of the New Testament. Loving thy foreign neighbor and allowing the enemy to strike our cheek may not always be the best decision. 

1 hour ago, HVAU said:

counter to this usually comes from the single voter pro-life contingency.  In other words, all of these issues I've raised matter not until the issue of abortion is addressed.  That holds very little esteem to me when that contingency refuses to see the logic on increased access to both control methods that have been proven to reduce the numbers of abortions.  

So do you think the broad religion of Christianity and all of its variations are as hypocritical as saying #alllivesmatter while supporting abortions? Need context here..

Moore threatening to sue the Post now.  As a man who's supposed to know the law, he seems pretty dumb here.  Libel/slander is nearly impossible to prove and requires intent.  With this many sources in an article, there's no way a lawsuit gets anywhere.  Sounds more like a red-herring tactic than anything.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/roy-moore-threatens-to-sue-washington-post/ar-BBETeoL?li=BBmkt5R&ocid=spartandhp

New Moore accuser to come forward at news conference with Gloria Allred

By WSFA 12 News Staff 

MONTGOMERY, AL (WSFA) -

Attorney Gloria Allred will hold a news conference Monday afternoon with a new accuser in the controversy surrounding U.S. Senate candidate Roy Moore.

During the news conference, Allred will discuss her client's claims that Moore sexually assaulted her while she was a minor in Alabama.

Allred's news conference is slated to start at 1:30 p.m. CST in New York City. WSFA 12 News will carry this news conference live on our website and mobile app.

http://www.wsfa.com/story/36830073/attorney-gloria-allred-to-hold-news-conference-about-new-roy-moore-accuser

35 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Allred? Breaking out the big guns, I see. 

McConnell has spoken.

WASHINGTON (AP) -- The top Republican in the Senate said Monday GOP candidate Roy Moore should quit his Alabama race amid allegations he had sexual contact with a 14-year-old girl and pursued romantic relationships with other teenage girls decades ago. "I believe the women," said Majority Leader Mitch McConnell.

The Kentucky Republican said flatly that Moore should step aside for another GOP candidate days after the Washington Post report that rocked the campaign for what the GOP had considered an inevitable special election win on Dec. 12. When the story first broke last Thursday, McConnell had said Moore should step aside if the allegations were true.

George Will.

Roy Moore is an embarrassment. Doug Jones deserves to win.

US_Senate_Alabama_18821-60dbc.jpg?uuid=X
Democrat Doug Jones speaks at a campaign rally. (Brynn Anderson/Associated Press)
  Opinion writer

BIRMINGHAM, Ala.

But for the bomb, the four would be in their 60s, probably grandmothers. Three were 14 and one was 11 in 1963 when the blast killed them in the 16th Street Baptist Church, which is four blocks from the law office of Doug Jones, who then was 9.

He was born in May 1954, 13 days before the U.S. Supreme Court’s Brown v. Board of Education school desegregation decision. He was 16 when he attended, at this city’s Legion Field, the Alabama Crimson Tide vs. the University of Southern California Trojans football game, in which USC’s Sam Cunningham, an African American all-American, led a 42-21 thumping of the home team, thereby (so goes the much-embellished but true-enough story) advancing the integration of the region through its cultural pulse, college football. Roll Tide.

As a second-year law student, Jones cut classes to attend the 1977 trial of one of the church bombers, Robert “Dynamite Bob” Chambliss. In 2001 and 2002, as U.S. attorney, Jones successfully prosecuted two other bombers. Was there resentment about this protracted pursuit of justice? No, he says as he nurses with tea a voice raspy from campaigning, because after 9/11 intervened, punishing domestic terrorism was not controversial. Today, this son of a steelworker stands between Roy Moore — an Elmer Gantry mixing piety and cupidity: he and his family have done well financially running a foundation — and the U.S. Senate seat vacated by Jeff Sessions.

Moore campaigns almost entirely about social issues — National Football League protests, the transgender menace — and the wild liberalism of Jones, a law-and-order prosecutor and deer and turkey hunter who says he has “a safe full of guns.” Jones’s grandfathers were members of the mineworkers’ and steelworkers’ unions: Birmingham, surrounded by coal and iron ore, was Pittsburgh — a steel city — almost before Pittsburgh was. Jones hopes economic and health-care issues matter more.

Just now, aujeff11 said:

It’s hilarious how this information never comes out during the primaries.

Kermit + ? 

Let's say you're right and the Democrats sat on it til they knew Moore would be the GOP nominee.  So what?  It may be brazen political strategy but it doesn't make the allegations false.  GOP voters who backed people not based on being qualified, or a history of wise and prudent decision making but on supercharged, religious jargon and posturing opened themselves up to this.

Put a fork in Moore's candidacy.  He's done.  The only question now is whether Republican/conservative voters can coalesce around a new candidate in time to thwart Jones.

15 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Let's say you're right and the Democrats sat on it til they knew Moore would be the GOP nominee.  So what?  It may be brazen political strategy but it doesn't make the allegations false.

True. But because this information wasn’t readily available in the primaries, and because I’m going to play devils advocate here, nobody can say “I cannot believe you’re still going to vote Roy Moore.” Why? Because the primaries are meant to decide who is the best candidate for the job in the Republican Party. The general election is meant to throw the vote behind which ever candidate the party picked. Government 101. So in this case, if I was to vote against Moore or abstain, I’d be voting against myself given that the party nominated the candidate because he most likely was the best representation of our views. Also, this issue becomes a dilemma regarding voting for somebody like Moore or voting off and bringing in the following which is obviously no better.

DOchfGsV4AAN0Tj?format=jpg

12 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Put a fork in Moore's candidacy.  He's done.  The only question now is whether Republican/conservative voters can coalesce around a new candidate in time to thwart Jones.

I don’t think there is enough time. Time to say No Moore!

Archived