Finebaum: CGM to Arky plausible

RunInRed

3 hours ago, Randman5000 said:

This all just seems like speculation. Finebaum doesn't know anything

Agree. Media guys have nothing to lose saying this stuff. If they're wrong no one cares but if they're right everyone remembers what they said. He can't stand Auburn so he loves digging at Auburn fans. This way he covers all bases, loyal Gus fans get aggravated at this and the ones that want Gus to leave get excited. Got to give him credit, he's made a lot of money being a sports geek. 

• Replies 229
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, ertrader said:

A little hard to compare, since we now have a 12th game and it is always a cupcake. On the other hand, Dye only had 6 or 7 SEC games per year compared to 8 now.

Dye had to face UT, UF, UGA and UA every year when they were consistently good. He played FSU most years and sprinkled in Texas and Nebraska. And most of those years I truly felt we could win. That's what's missing now. The feeling or spirit (as @autigeremt put it), that we can win the big ones. 

5 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Dye had to face UT, UF, UGA and UA every year when they were consistently good. He played FSU most years and sprinkled in Texas and Nebraska. And most of those years I truly felt we could win. That's what's missing now. The feeling or spirit (as @autigeremt put it), that we can win the big ones. 

Wow, you're right about Dye's tough schedule.  I had forgotten about that.  And I was a student there at the time.

29 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Not to mention he had a WINNING record against the Dawgs and before the wheels came off his tenure at the end he had won 6 outta 9 against the Tide.  Even with the subpar last 3 years he finished .500 against the turds which is really all most of us are asking for against them and UGA.  And we are even willing to concede a little worse record against the turds since they are on a historic run.  

To me, the knock on Tubberville was he would always lose one to someone we shouldn't. The same seems to be true for Gus. The difference is that Gus is good for another probable loss in game 1 because we can never be ready for it. That's 2 "built in" losses each year. 

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

To me, the knock on Tubberville was he would always lose one to someone we shouldn't. The same seems to be true for Gus. The difference is that Gus is good for another probable loss in game 1 because we can never be ready for it. That's 2 "built in" losses each year. 

Tubbs would at least beat a team that mattered though.  If Gus had simply taken care of business against 2 bad UGA teams the last 2 years I think you would see a lot less unhappiness in the fan base.  Despite what the pumpers are saying most of us have realistic expectations and all we are asking is Gus keep up with our rivals and stay around .500 against them.  Being honest about it we could pay an unproven coach a lot less money and with the resources available at Auburn anyone should be able to thump Arky, MSU, Ole Miss, Mizzou etc. most years.  Gus hasn't done anything special in 5 years except be the beneficiary of 2 of the greatest miracle plays in college football history. 

7 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Tubbs would at least beat a team that mattered though.  If Gus had simply taken care of business against 2 bad UGA teams the last 2 years I think you would see a lot less unhappiness in the fan base.  Despite what the pumpers are saying most of us have realistic expectations and all we are asking is Gus keep up with our rivals and stay around .500 against them.  Being honest about it we could pay an unproven coach a lot less money and with the resources available at Auburn anyone should be able to thump Arky, MSU, Ole Miss, Mizzou etc. most years.  Gus hasn't done anything special in 5 years except be the beneficiary of 2 of the greatest miracle plays in college football history. 

What are the pumpers saying? 

Just now, AUFAN78 said:

What are the pumpers saying? 

Some keep accusing those of us who are ready for change of having unrealistic expectations of our coach.  They like to think we are jealous of the idiots across the state when for MOST of us that is not true at all.  Reasonable fans know we are not going to reel off a 6 game win streak against bama anytime soon but going .500 over a 6 year period against the Dawgs and hanging in there with bama on top of not wetting the bed against big time opponents like Clemson or not blowing 20 point leads against average LSU teams is apparently too much to ask. 

yeah Gus leaves comes back to Jordan Hare and waxes Auburn like he did as an OC. (I kid lol)...Anyway Gus could be Auburn’s Bowden or Coach K...could Auburn give up on him too soon? Can he show growth as a HC is my biggest question.  Just glad it’s not my decision. The pitchfork and torch crowd here can be very unforgiving, particularly reviewing things in hindsight.....  I refuse to get emotionally attached either way because I am behind the team and coach regardless, keeps you sane. But if you do get rid of him...where do you go? Meyer ain’t coming...not Saban...basically none of the elite guys. You basically roll with an up and comer like NC St coach, a top tier asst like Veneables or a retread like Miles. It’s all chance I guess... 

33 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Not to mention he had a WINNING record against the Dawgs and before the wheels came off his tenure at the end he had won 6 outta 9 against the Tide.  Even with the subpar last 3 years he finished .500 against the turds which is really all most of us are asking for against them and UGA.  And we are even willing to concede a little worse record against the turds since they are on a historic run.  

Bring Dye back?

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

Some keep accusing those of us who are ready for change of having unrealistic expectations of our coach.  They like to think we are jealous of the idiots across the state when for MOST of us that is not true at all.  Reasonable fans know we are not going to reel off a 6 game win streak against bama anytime soon but going .500 over a 6 year period against the Dawgs and hanging in there with bama on top of not wetting the bed against big time opponents like Clemson or not blowing 20 point leads against average LSU teams is apparently too much to ask. 

I guess I have not seen that reaction. The rest of your post seems legit.

7 minutes ago, OnthePlains said:

Great post. All of it seems legit.

3 minutes ago, AUFAN78 said:

I guess I have not seen that reaction. The rest of your post seems legit.

Welp you aint lookin hard enough.  But I appreciate the 90% approval rating. 

1 minute ago, jAUSon said:

Great post. All of it seems legit.

Well I'm sure you can point to at least one, just one post that states our expectations of our coach are unrealistic. Right?

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

Welp you aint lookin hard enough.  But I appreciate the 90% approval rating. 

That is possible. 

I am curious to see how Lsu and bammer plays out. My gut is that Lsu will stay close for a half and will fall victim by 21 or so points. What would be funny would be for Lsu to beat bammer then lose to TAMU. We win out and beat Uga 2 times. What would this mean???? absolute meltdown city. Could be that no team from the SEC except us finish in the top 4.  The Powerball odds are better though. Funny idea though.

If we part with Gus with a 7-5 or 6-6 record then where do we go? There are some really up and coming young coaches who would jump at the chance to coach at Auburn. A few golden oldies could be as well.

A name we should look at closely is Matt Campbell at Iowa State. He is a winner and a young gun who managed to beat Oklahoma and has ISU playing better than they have ever been since who knows when. He would jump at the chance to come to Auburn and could be the missing component for bringing Auburn football to the elite status we want and desire so much.  He seems like the best young gun among some good ones out there. If we are to act on a coach and make a change, it needs to happen 5 minutes after the Iron Bowl and not a second sooner. Who knows folks!

1 hour ago, gr82be said:

In 1983 he not only had to face UT, UF, UGA and UAT but he also had Texas and Maryland sprinkled in and ended the season with a Sugar Bowl match up with Michigan.

12 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I am curious to see how Lsu and bammer plays out. My gut is that Lsu will stay close for a half and will fall victim by 21 or so points. What would be funny would be for Lsu to beat bammer then lose to TAMU. We win out and beat Uga 2 times. What would this mean???? absolute meltdown city. Could be that no team from the SEC except us finish in the top 4.  The Powerball odds are better though. Funny idea though.

If we part with Gus with a 7-5 or 6-6 record then where do we go? There are some really up and coming young coaches who would jump at the chance to coach at Auburn. A few golden oldies could be as well.

A name we should look at closely is Matt Campbell at Iowa State. He is a winner and a young gun who managed to beat Oklahoma and has ISU playing better than they have ever been since who knows when. He would jump at the chance to come to Auburn and could be the missing component for bringing Auburn football to the elite status we want and desire so much.  He seems like the best young gun among some good ones out there. If we are to act on a coach and make a change, it needs to happen 5 minutes after the Iron Bowl and not a second sooner. Who knows folks!

There's something really odd (not wrong) about Auburn hiring an ISU football coach. He does seem to be doing a good job there though. 

Just now, gr82be said:

There's something really odd (not wrong) about Auburn hiring an ISU football coach. He does seem to be doing a good job there though. 

We want a winner not a loser....lol.

13 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

I thought about Campbell. Although the jury is still out. Looks like he was successful at Toledo and ISU is ranked #25 in the AP poll. Like the 3rd time in history.

I will say this, it wouldn't surprise me if they were to can JJ they replace him with the ISU AD and bring Campbell. Leath was the President of ISU prior to Auburn. Just food for thought.

From the Finebaum quote in the OP: " So, if given the opportunity to go home......" That's a might big IF there Paauul. If Arky gets in a hunt for a new coach, why would Malzahn be in heir discussion? You don't go looking for a coach that is on the hot seat at his current job.

They are the only major university in their entire state. They have deep pockets. The last time they had an opening they hired a very successful coach away from Wisconsin. Gus doesn't fit the mold of what they'd be looking for.

3 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

Don't forget accusing us of being "bandwagon" fans or "not supporting the players".  I quit explaining that I bleed orange and blue and have since I graduated 18 years ago and that disdain for a coach does not mean I don't appreciate the players.  It is painfully obvious a decent portion of our fanbase doesn't care what happens with the most visible part of our school.  

Excellence in the sporting venues spills over into the rest of the campus.  Prospective students want to be a part of something great, and if you're not offering it, they're not coming if their degree can be earned elsewhere. UAT has expanded heavily during the Saban run and has added courses of study, more out of state students and international students broadening the UAT brand.  

A university's success is not measured on any playing field, but on what that university contributes to society.   Auburn has flown seven graduates in space, including STS-4 in which both Shuttle crew members were Auburn grads.  We have been and continue to be leaders, but we must ensure that role.  THIS is where I want my university to succeed the most.  Influencing  the daily lives of our country's population and contributing to our society.  To do so we need our most visible programs to meet with great success.  Without it, we stagnate. 

.....and if I see that damn picture of Aubie with that "if you can't support me at my worst you don't deserve my best" nonsense again I'm probably going to kick my dog.  It should be banned forever.  

3 hours ago, OnthePlains said:

Its a shame that we are just asking to beat Georgia. "1 of our 2 rivals this year or he's gone..."

Archived