Don't jump back on the Bus just yet...Scarbinsky

aubiefifty

2 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Thing is, Gus doesn't like turnovers. At all. He may allow Chip to run whatever he wants vs Texas A&M, but come Georgia... Who knows? He will most likely pull a Gus and the offense will disappear... So in the "big" games, he makes Chip dial down the offense because he is terrified of turning the ball over. That's the way I feel about it anyway...

That's pretty much spot on.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the best overall team Gus has had since at AU (yes, better on defense than 2013 and more balanced offensively). I like him because has built a team that CAN compete with the best teams in the league, but he has GOT to let Chip go full throttle these last 3 SEC games or it won't matter how good he's done at building our program.

This IS/WAS the year.  That's the problem.  Senior laden offensive line, solid if not elite QB (had a few growing pains early), 2 NFL ready running backs, Senior but low on depth defensive backs, quality linebackers and mainly seniors in the starters, best place kicker in the country.  

Most that know what we lose after this year will be hard to replace.  Prince Tega will be the foundation on the OL next year.  Although I think he can develop to be great, he won't be next year.  Plus the schedule rotates to away with UGA and bammer.  Possibly a new starting QB the following year when the schedule is more favorable.  

So like I stated.  This was the year.  This was the year that historically AU has made noise, won championships, and beat our rivals.  So far none of that has happened.  

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

This IS/WAS the year.  That's the problem.  Senior laden offensive line, solid if not elite QB (had a few growing pains early), 2 NFL ready running backs, Senior but low on depth defensive backs, quality linebackers and mainly seniors in the starters, best place kicker in the country.  

Most that know what we lose after this year will be hard to replace.  Prince Tega will be the foundation on the OL next year.  Although I think he can develop to be great, he won't be next year.  Plus the schedule rotates to away with UGA and bammer.  Possibly a new starting QB the following year when the schedule is more favorable.  

So like I stated.  This was the year.  This was the year that historically AU has made noise, won championships, and beat our rivals.  So far none of that has happened.  

And might not happen...but a little early to pull the plug isn't it?  .....sure hope the players and coaches are more optimistic about their chances than many fans are.   Hate to think they run out on the field in College Station thinking they are going to lose.

6 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

Please raise your hand if you think Scarb made any valid points other than the same ones that we have been discussing since the Clemson loss. We've already figured all this out way before you did, but thanks anyway Scarb.

Not everyone has figured it out.  Sometimes it takes a non-AU person to point something out to the faithful before they pay attention to it. 

8 minutes ago, AU64 said:

And might not happen...but a little early to pull the plug isn't it?  .....sure hope the players and coaches are more optimistic about their chances than many fans are.   Hate to think they run out on the field in College Station thinking they are going to lose.

I wasn't saying that at all.  Nor was I saying there wasn't a chance next year.  Just saying that this was the year that the "expectations" were there for the reasons I described.  

I never give up on my team.  I never pull against my team.  However no one knows what might happen going forward but in the games that have mattered the most we have failed.  The truth hurts sometimes but it's still the truth. 

5 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

If you didn’t read the article, than why even comment at all? To say that Scarb is a tool? We know that already. 

That is what I was thinking. Like people who go on YouTube videos or even something as simple as amazon to downvote just because they have their own biases without even viewing or using the content. That is kind of the epitome of a tool.

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

for the record i do not look at the kick six as a miracle. it was a coaching decision and gus even called timeout to get a better returner. and if the runback had not happened i still believe we beat bama in overtime. and as a side not i heard saban admit on the tele a while back he made a mistake..

I 100% agree.  We had 298 yards rushing against the Great Saban defense.  His D was gassed and his kicker had already missed 4 field goals.  The last thing he wanted was OT.  He probably figured "I'll take a shot.  We might get it and go home with a W." I don't think it ever occurred to him that we might run it back.

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

JMO but there is very little similarity between the team this year and last season's team.   By this time last year we were essentially without a healthy QB or a healthy starting RB and played the latter part of the season with a very wounded team.  As bad as the games looked last year, it took a heck of an effort for AU to even be close in most of those games. 

Not guaranteeing anything in the way of wins....but at least the team this year looks like it will be at full strength for the stretch run.

It's kind of funny reading about people getting off the bus now and then waiting for a big upset win or two before deciding to get back on the bus..   If you are off....that's fine and if AU happens pull a few unexpected win.....Gus probably does not need you on his bus....and likely there won't be room anyway with all the fair weather fans clamoring for seats.

This is the problem. You cannot differentiate between supporting Gus and Supporting AU. As far as I am concerned, the majority of the fans who post on here are AU fans. A small majority (YOU) are Gus fans. Another small majority, for their own selfish reasons, want to see Gus fail, but in doing so, AU fails. I don't give a crap about the Gus Bus. What I want is for AU to have success. If that means Gus Malzhan finds his mojo again. COOL. If that means Gus learns how to get the hell out of the way. COOL. As long as we win. Less about Gus, more about AU. 

Secondly, what do you consider an upset? LSU upsetted us, correct? If I read correctly, you and some of your fellow brethren aren't too impressed with UGA, as you have said so much. Would that be considered an upset? As far as I am concerned the only upset to be had is against Alabama. The rest of the games on our schedule were/are very winnable.

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

JMO but there is very little similarity between the team this year and last season's team.   By this time last year we were essentially without a healthy QB or a healthy starting RB and played the latter part of the season with a very wounded teamH.  As bad as the games looked last year, it took a heck of an effort for AU to even be close in most of those games. 

Not guaranteeing anything in the way of wins....but at least the team this year looks like it will be at full strength for the stretch run.

It's kind of funny reading about people getting off the bus now and then waiting for a big upset win or two before deciding to get back on the bus..   If you are off....that's fine and if AU happens pull a few unexpected win.....Gus probably does not need you on his bus....and likely there won't be room anyway with all the fair weather fans clamoring for seats.

Good grief. 

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

This is the problem. You cannot differentiate between supporting Gus and Supporting AU. As far as I am concerned, the majority of the fans who post on here are AU fans. A small majority (YOU) are Gus fans. Another small majority, for their own selfish reasons, want to see Gus fail, but in doing so, AU fails. I don't give a crap about the Gus Bus. What I want is for AU to have success. If that means Gus Malzhan finds his mojo again. COOL. If that means Gus learns how to get the hell out of the way. COOL. As long as we win. Less about Gus, more about AU. 

Secondly, what do you consider an upset? LSU upsetted us, correct? If I read correctly, you and some of your fellow brethren aren't too impressed with UGA, as you have said so much. Would that be considered an upset? As far as I am concerned the only upset to be had is against Alabama. The rest of the games on our schedule were/are very winnable.

Well said. Thank you. 

1 hour ago, corchjay said:

Damn straight. I hope Washington falls back and Tennessee, Florida and Oregon (our rotating east and OOC games the next two years) stay down. Defensive line next year is going to be awesome, though. Kerryy on, Jarrett and NCM (should) be back.

Pretty simple for Gus: beat A&M and Georgia, keep your job. Anything else (no way we can have a prayer against UAT without beating those two) and he's fired.

39 minutes ago, DAG said:

I think we ought to be favored over UGa. but my point about them is that it is hard to rate them based on one game....and I would not be shocked if Gators beat them but I don't expect it.  I'm thinking dawns  will be favored by a narrow margin.  bama is probably the only potential upset in our schedule.

5 hours ago, I_M4_AU said:

I’ll bet he still didn’t shift.

With her beside me,  no need to shift. 

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

50 minutes ago, DAG said:

Just to note...I am not a fan of Gus....I am opposed to instability and change without having any idea where it leads...people here wanting a different coach with no rational idea of who that could be or how Auburn would benefit.  In my view, what seems to be a common view that anyone would be better is nonsense.

20 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just to note...I am not a fan of Gus....I am opposed to instability and change without having any idea where it leads...people here wanting a different coach with no rational idea of who that could be or how Auburn would benefit.  In my view, what seems to be a common view that anyone would be better is nonsense.

This is the main problem. First, let me acknowledge that a select few want Gus to fail. They do not want him to be retained. I do not agree with those sentiments. On the other hand, a select few do not want to lose Gus for fear of the unknown. Unless there is an obvious answer, they would rather settle for what we have. Again, I do not agree with those sentiments, either. The HC thread has had several coaches named by the consensus of the fanbase. Some more realistic than others, with pros and cons for hiring them. What I find is some of you refuse to acknowledge any of it because, by my estimation, none of them are good enough for you, unless there is an obvious pick. RARELY will there ever be an obvious pick available, and when it is available, 9 times out of ten it is luck. NS just so happened to be available for Bama at the right time. Petrino fell in the hands of Arkansas. Likewise, UM fell in the hands of tOSU. The right place at the right time. For others, you have to do your due diligence and take chances. We took a chance with Gene Chizik and CGM. We saw how it ended with Gene. CGM is on his last ride. Quite frankly, he has been given enough hints and support by the uppers for him to be successful. If he fails, it will be because of his actions and the AU brass should not be at fault for trying to find someone else willing to be consistent in nature.

I don’t think anyone has to worry. Pretty sure Gus is gone after this year. If he finishes good he will accept an offer to Arky. If he finishes bad he will be fired whether Arky’s offer holds or not.

2 hours ago, corchjay said:

Likely my biggest disappointment this season. I thought they would be the difference. They simply have not been.

1 minute ago, AUFAN78 said:

Likely my biggest disappointment this season. I thought they would be the difference. They simply have not been.

Problem with OL is that it changes every week due to injuries.....not the cohesive bunch you really need but basically still hanging in there.   Despite all the moving around, they are mostly getting it done.

Still have 2 out but maybe everyone will be ready by the next game.   Funny that Dunn has seemed to be more valuable that expected...now seems to be a critical member of the OL.

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Problem with OL is that it changes every week due to injuries.....not the cohesive bunch you really need but basically still hanging in there.   Despite all the moving around, they are mostly getting it done.

Still have 2 out but maybe everyone will be ready by the next game.   Funny that Dunn has seemed to be more valuable that expected...now seems to be a critical member of the OL.

Point taken and in no way knocking the players. They simply have not been what I expected. Perhaps that is on me.

Archived