Relationship between Gus and Rod Bramblett

Linayus

19 minutes ago, DAG said:

That is a fair synopsis. Also, If I am seeing this correctly, at USC, didn't Pete Carrol have all the resources at his disposal at USC? Did he not have a ton of NFL draft talent on his squads? Certainly, anyone could win with Reggie Bush in the backfield. 

You say this but then you say Gus cannot win with Saban’s football talent. Seems hypocritical to me. 

35 minutes ago, DAG said:

But you are stuck on NS when a MAJORITY of college coaches have failed at the next level

I’m not stuck on him. I’m saying that Saban  doesn’t have a transcending personality that relates well to coaching  in the NFL. If other coaches don’t have it, I’ll say they don’t have it when I’m narrowed down to discussing those particular coaches including (ahem) the whole list of random coaches that you listed below. 

33 minutes ago, DAG said:

So if you are going to critique NS for failing, then at least be consistent and say the same thing about Lou Holtz, Steve Spurrier, Butch Davis, Dennis Erickson, Chip Kelly..some of these guys have won NC at the collegiate level.

I really don’t care about these coaches. When I do, I’ll be sure to let you know. 

33 minutes ago, DAG said:

JH did great at Stanford. But now he is at a program with a wealth of resources, getting paid top money. Why isn't he winning the big games?

I can guarantee it isn’t because he’s being paid top money at a program with a wealth of resources. I wouldn’t close the book on Harbaugh at Michigan either. 

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

You say this but then you say Gus cannot win with Saban’s football talent. Seems hypocritical to me. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Umm, what? It's called sarcasm. Learn it. I am poking fun at the guys who say NS only can win because he recruits at an exceptionally high level due to alleged unfair advantages. Yet, you cite the poster boy of doing just that. So is he a good coach or is it because he had insane talent? 

I’m not stuck on him. I’m saying that Saban  doesn’t have a transcending personality that relates well to coaching  in the NFL. If other coaches don’t have it, I’ll say they don’t have it when I’m narrowed down to discussing those particular coaches including (ahem) the whole list of random coaches that you listed below. 

That is the point of the discussion. People saying he couldn't be successful in the NFL as a negative to his coaching ability. We aren't discussing why he failed in the NFL. Technically, it really doesn't matter why the hell he failed. At the end of the day, he failed. Nobody is disputing that.

I really don’t care about these coaches. When I do, I’ll be sure to let you know. 

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Then why even join the discussion. That is a huge counterpoint for the premise of the discussion.

I can guarantee it isn’t because he’s being paid top money at a program with a wealth of resources. I wouldn’t close the book on Harbaugh at Michigan either. 

Nobody has closed the book on him. But if I am going to critique CGM harshly for not winning the big game, dang sure I am going to do it to another ball coach who is getting paid top dollar to win those big games with much more resources at his disposal. That is being consistent with your views.

Just now, DAG said:

Umm, what? It's called sarcasm. Learn it. I am poking fun at the guys who say NS only can win because he recruits at an exceptionally high level due to alleged unfair advantages. Yet, you cite the poster boy of doing just that. So is he a good coach or is it because he had insane talent? 

That is the point of the discussion. People saying he couldn't be successful in the NFL as a negative to his coaching ability. We aren't discussing why he failed in the NFL.

Then why even join the discussion. That is a huge counterpoint for the premise of the discussion.

Nobody has closed the book on him. But if I am going to critique CGM harshly for not winning the big game, dang sure I am going to do it to another ball coach who is getting paid top dollar to win those big games with much more resources at his disposal. That is being consistent with your views.

Agree to disagree.

On 10/26/2017 at 7:03 PM, auburnphan said:

I am sorry, but do any of you think that Gus does not see the writing on the wall, he is going through the motions on all press stuff, even more so than his normal dull self.  He does not have a TV personality, he has proven to be a bad game day coach and his offense died years ago.  It must suck knowing you screwed everything up and it was your own ego that is to blame.

Just going through the motions waiting in that buyout check can’t suck too bad.

12 hours ago, DAG said:

Thank you, once again for proving my point. Talent only takes you so far. You need coaching to win with that talent.

At the end of the day, we can all agree to this...our current HC could not win with Bama's talent....think about that.

How did nick lose 2 in a row to Ole Miss then?

And yes I agree, I've never said our guy could coach, an interesting side note to recruiting, at least for me, Barfield had 5 RBs on the same team that went on to play in the NFL. Joe Cribbs, James Brooks, William Andrews, George Peoples and Chester Willis.

• 2 weeks later...

Reviving this because I got to watch Tiger Talk last night. Gus and Rod both looked relaxed, happy, and were all around in great spirits. Whatever tension that was there seems to be gone (maybe the Jacobs impending resignation?). Whatever it was or wasn't, I was happy to see the lighthearted interaction between them. It made me feel better about this weekend anyway!

2 hours ago, Linayus said:

Reviving this because I got to watch Tiger Talk last night. Gus and Rod both looked relaxed, happy, and were all around in great spirits. Whatever tension that was there seems to be gone (maybe the Jacobs impending resignation?). Whatever it was or wasn't, I was happy to see the lighthearted interaction between them. It made me feel better about this weekend anyway!

WINNING CURES ALL!

Gus will get along with everyone, the fan base will stand behind him, and the Auburn Family will be on permanent Cloud 9  if he JUST WINS.

17 minutes ago, keesler said:

WINNING CURES ALL!

Gus will get along with everyone, the fan base will stand behind him, and the Auburn Family will be on permanent Cloud 9  if he JUST WINS.

There are plenty of numb nuts on here that won’t support him if he goes undefeated for the next 5 years! 

Archived