2018 Team Goal

mom2kid

This season, the football team's goal was to win the SEC.  They fell short.  The season had big highs and lows and I think it is safe to say that as much as we support our team, we fans have lots of questions regarding the coaching staff and their ability to get the team to the top.  I read posts where people think we will be 9-3 next year and they add that they are fine with that.  Ok, but as a business person, I think you set goals that are realistic but set the bar higher.  Beyond talent, the team has to play as a unit so that the sum of the parts is greater than the sum of the individual pieces.  Do we have enough talent to compete fot the SEC title?  If so, and if that is the goal of the 2019 team then that's where our mindset needs to be.  Losing is not an option.  Let's not settle as a fan base and accept losing to Bama and UGA every year.  I sure hope our coaches don't think this way.

8-4.  Not fine with it.

Thanks to the SEC East/West split and the philosophy of the CFP committee, beating bama and UGA don't really mean much.

Gus has zero reasons to change anything he's doing, so he's going to change nothing.  

Thank God Almighty for Coach Bruce Pearl.   

1 hour ago, mom2kid said:

This season, the football team's goal was to win the SEC.  They fell short.  The season had big highs and lows and I think it is safe to say that as much as we support our team, we fans have lots of questions regarding the coaching staff and their ability to get the team to the top.  I read posts where people think we will be 9-3 next year and they add that they are fine with that.  Ok, but as a business person, I think you set goals that are realistic but set the bar higher.  Beyond talent, the team has to play as a unit so that the sum of the parts is greater than the sum of the individual pieces.  Do we have enough talent to compete fot the SEC title?  If so, and if that is the goal of the 2019 team then that's where our mindset needs to be.  Losing is not an option.  Let's not settle as a fan base and accept losing to Bama and UGA every year.  I sure hope our coaches don't think this way.

I don't know if anyone is necessarily fine with 9-3 as much as they are looking at it realistically. Its not easy to win on the road against certain teams, just look at Bama and Georgia this season. A lot of questions for next year along the O-line and in the secondary as well as who will step up at running back. We also will be replacing the long snapper, holder and kicker which is a big deal. No one is resigned to losing to our major rivals every year but I think you have to assume that there are three to four SEC opponents that you may have to swap home wins and away losses with. Auburn should be considered one of those by the other challengers as well. That's the coaching staff's job, to make sure Auburn is one of those challengers. It's great for fans to expect certain results and have high hopes. Personally I will wait until at least the season starts to think about expectations. I decided several years ago to try to enjoy the season as much as possible because I understand that 18-22 year olds do not see things as I do many times. Coaches coach and players play. A win can't be attributed to one person any more that a loss can be. You win together and lose together. I saw good things in this year's team. Things I am hopeful are going to continue down the road. I'll have my answer sometime in September I'd imagine. War Eagle. 

The first goal should be repeat as SEC West champs. It's very doable but those two rivalry games at the end might be the downfall. I don't see anyone else beating Alabama with their pathetic schedule..so we'll have to hope for a slip up and beating them in the final game for the tie breaker. It's very very early but I think our record will be good, however those two away rivalry games will make or break it. 

15 hours ago, AuburnEagle79 said:

10 wins, Iron Bowl needs to be SEC play-in game

That would be my goal every year. Do enough throughout the year to make that game a play-in. Regardless of what happens vs UGA, that doesn’t impact our SECW standing. With any luck, UT and UF will soon make it harder for UGA to get to the SECGC unscathed.

It's pretty simple really.

GOALS
(Primary)
1. Win National Championship
2. Win Conference Championship
3. Win Division

(Secondary)
4. Win 10 Games
5. Become bowl eligible
6. WIN

Every team starts out with the ultimate goal to win a national title. If you lose a game, then you focus on winning your division and conference. Lose a couple of games and you may still be in your division/conference race but the national title goal is slipping fast and you have the secondary goal of reaching 10 wins. Lose a third game and the pressure is on to just become bowl eligible. Down and down you go until your only goal is to win the next game.

7 hours ago, Linayus said:

If you lose a game, then you focus on winning your division and conference.

This is true but it's so unfair for us in our NC hopes because we will go through a gauntlet EVERY YEAR. But it's on us.. we schedule these ooc games and have had amen corner for years...if we keep scheduling these games and especially in this order we better produce or we're just digging a hole for ourselves every year.

10-2 minimum personally

I think we have a lot of tools but Herb Hand is going to have to earn his paycheck developing a new line.

Stidham has to say bye to his happy feet.

Secondary has to build depth and we need a new Holland on the edge.

I just want to see some consistency this year. Tired of being a bipolar team.

9 minutes ago, Zeek said:

10-2 minimum personally

I think we have a lot of tools but Herb Hand is going to have to earn his paycheck developing a new line.

Stidham has to say bye to his happy feet.

Secondary has to build depth and we need a new Holland on the edge.

I just want to see some consistency this year. Tired of being a bipolar team.

On the bright side, we could very well return all 5 OL starters in 2019.

1 hour ago, AUwent said:

On the bright side, we could very well return all 5 OL starters in 2019.

I'd be fine with a big youth movement. Man it would have been nice to redshirt Malik this year.

After losing 5 in 2016 and 4 in 2017, we're progressing nicely towards undefeated season #12 in 2021 and maybe a whopping 3rd national title in football (UCF has no idea what a 2004 is like). Here's to losing only 3 next season!

9 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

After losing 5 in 2016 and 4 in 2017, we're progressing nicely towards undefeated season #12 in 2021 and maybe a whopping 3rd national title in football (UCF has no idea what a 2004 is like). Here's to losing only 3 next season!

I still think there's an argument for us to claim the vacated 2004 Championship :beer2:

1 hour ago, aucanucktiger said:

After losing 6 in 2015, 5 in 2016 and 4 in 2017, we're progressing nicely towards undefeated season #12 in 2021 and maybe a whopping 3rd national title in football (UCF has no idea what a 2004 is like). Here's to losing only 3 next season!

We're moving up! :-\

ESPN just put out a 2018 preseason top 25. They have Washington at 8.

I'm getting so sick of this crap. Can we please figure out how to schedule an OOC opponent that people have heard of but who is not a playoff contender? Good gravy. (Yes, I know how scheduling works. Yes, I know this is just typical Auburn luck. I'm still sick of it.)

Goal #1: Leave CCL alone to do his job.

Goal #2: Continue to leave CKS alone to do his job.

Goal #3: Refer to Goals 1 & 2 continuously throughout the entire season.

War Eagle.

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm getting so sick of this crap. Can we please figure out how to schedule an OOC opponent that people have heard of but who is not a playoff contender? Good gravy. (Yes, I know how scheduling works. Yes, I know this is just typical Auburn luck. I'm still sick of it.)

JABA?

5 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

JABA?

So very, very JABA. 

I do believe that a major component of ABA is J the worst luck imaginable (too infrequently perforated by good fortune). 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

more sick of Auburn underachieving, especially in coaching and not using/developing talent on the bench.

Auburn appearing unprepared in the details or no answers when the scripted plays don't work.

Auburn fans should all get a refund for the Peach Bowl collapse.

4 hours ago, aubaseball said:

The first goal every year for AU is:

win the west

win the sec

Agreed. It's reasonable and attainable, albeit difficult to achieve. But, we are at a point in the program where that should be our goal. Doesn't mean not reaching it is a colossal disappointment. 

Ok I'm going to be negative Nancy.  This team was expected to be a top ten this year based on the amount of talent and having JS as QB.  Their team goal was to be SEC champ.  They failed at meeting that goal and had 4 ugly losses especially the two really bad losses at the end.  We finished the year at #10.  Conclusion: this was a disappointing year and there is no sugar coating unless all you want as a fan is to beat Bama.

Last night I saw two teams that played at a high level.  They had freshman all over the field including the QBs.  Yes Jalen played poorly but remember he started as a freshman.  The teams were focused and played with intensity.  Either could have won.  For me, it was a reminder of all the concerns I've had as well as others about our coaches and team.

• QB play; strong leader with an intense desire to win and skills to make tough plays.  (JS actually laughed after an interception)
  • RBs who have strength to mow down the field and speed to make them miss.  And a stable of backs to rotate without missing a beat or physically wearing any one.
  • Receivers that make the tough catches and continued to run for big plays.  (AU inconsistent and rarely get yds beyond catch)
  • Front lines that played tough on BOTH sides (no comment)
  • DBs playing man to man and safeties coming across to make interceptions or break the play (We have more work to do)

Most importantly, two coaches that had their teams ready to play and one in particular that made great adjustments at the half and was determined not to lose.  Saban screamed on the sidelines and demanded excellence.  Ours throw their hands up and say "we didn't execute".  No way Bama losses to UCF.  Nick wouldn't allow it.  And now we are complaining because we open with Washington.  If you are a perennial power you don't fear competition.  I have newfound respect for Saban as well as KS and it's time we have that expectation of our own HC and staff.  

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Yet another game 1 we are likely not to be prepared for. Then the next year we open with Oregon. Those 1st games just kill us b/c Gus doesn't get going until game 4...usually after losing to LSU. I'm expecting the same old game 1 and then for us to go on a run as normal leading up to the UGA and Bama game. 

Archived