Offense Needs to Change

Zeek

2 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

I can’t agree with this more.  To go a step further, some coach will have to be in Gus’ ear when things appear to be going south with alternatives.  It will be Gus that will have to determine if plan A is not working and go to plan B.  When things go perfectly, there is no in game adjustments (coaching) needed, but when things aren’t “normal” is when a coach earns his reputation.  That is the essence of a good (successful) coach.  Gus has had the tendancy to ride the plan until it’s just too late to make a difference in games.

Yea... this is why I think he has floundered some since his OC days.  When he was an OC, he would spend 18 hours a day on football, coming up with deeply detailed game plans that had all kinds of nuances that could be brought into play when the game called for it. Now he has to run a team and can't do that. He needs to let go a little. He actually reminds me of my Aunt. She is the business manager for she and my uncle's company. They are pushing retirement age, but she just won't step away. If you recommend ways to cover her job, she gets really defensive because she is afraid anyone else will screw things up.

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'm eager to see what the vibe around the program is in a world where Gus's job is ironclad secure.

Me too. I would love to see us shock the world in recruiting now that our opponents can't use his job security against us. Of course, if we do rock the world, the NCAA will get involved... they always do.

4 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Because I've never met him personally or heard anyone who worked directly with him say anything like that about him. I only hear that from message board posters who also have never met him. All I hear from people who work with him is that he's a very generous human being who is absolutely great to work with (and yes, I've actually heard some of that, not just read it). Of course, people are usually going to be generous in vocalizing their opinion about someone who outranks them, but let's contrast this with Saban, who has been frequently referred to as a self-centered, control freak tyrant with very little compassion by people he has worked with (again, also heard from the source, not just read).

I think the bull headed part could be true.  Most coaches are. 

I've heard the exact opposite in regard to the unimaginative part. In fact, I've heard that he is very imaginative. What I've seen is that he's not imaginative on the fly. I get that as I'm a bit the same way. I need time and the right stimulation to get my creativity going.

The narcissistic thing is just people venting because they don't like his coaching style. Everything about him points to him being a very carrying and often times selfless person.

He isn't being paid to be a nice selfless person.  The things I said are not directed at how he carries himself off the field or at the waffle house.  

Point blank do you agree with the gameplan for the SEC Championship game and using KJ.  If you answer yes then I understand.

12 hours ago, corchjay said:

You serious Clark?  

Gus is the head coach.  He is the face of the program.  It’s his team and he can do what he wants as it should be.  

If he shouldn’t be running the show then we should let him go.  

A lot of what McLoofus, lionheartkc, NorthGATiger, and I_M4_AU have said is exactly what I am referring to and agree with.  I just didn't elaborate on why I said remove the play sheet from Gus' hands during game.  No problem with him being part of the equation and chiming in on plays.  But when he has stated that if a play doesn't work it's because it's an execution problem,  I hope we can all agree that is not a good philosophy.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Yea... this is why I think he has floundered some since his OC days.  When he was an OC, he would spend 18 hours a day on football, coming up with deeply detailed game plans that had all kinds of nuances that could be brought into play when the game called for it. Now he has to run a team and can't do that. He needs to let go a little. He actually reminds me of my Aunt. She is the business manager for she and my uncle's company. They are pushing retirement age, but she just won't step away. If you recommend ways to cover her job, she gets really defensive because she is afraid anyone else will screw things up.

Ok.  Now we agree.  So does Gus need to let someone spend 18 hours a day on the offense and run it or does Gus need to run it spending 6 hours a day telling someone with the title of OC how he wants him to run it?

Just now, NorthGATiger said:

He isn't being paid to be a nice selfless person.  The things I said are not directed at how he carries himself off the field or at the waffle house.  

Point blank do you agree with the gameplan for the SEC Championship game and using KJ.  If you answer yes then I understand.

I don't know all of the details about the team, behind the scenes, so I can't say that I fully agree or disagree with any of the game plans. What I saw, this year, was that Kerryon was at least a level above all of our other backs, and his ability made up for areas we were lacking in, especially on the Offensive Line.  There is a chance that an 80% Kerryon still has more to offer than a 100% Kam Martin... but I'm not witnessing practices, so I don't know what the coaches were seeing, who was putting in the work, etc. One thing I'm able to look at, after the season, is the situation with Kam Pettway. Gus is well known for dismissing players that aren't taking care of their personal issues, and Sean was sent packing early, but he kept Kam. That, to me, underlines the fact that our staff didn't believe our younger backs could get it done... but again, while based on analyzing evidence, that's still speculation on my part.

As for what he's being paid for, part of it is being the most public face of Auburn University and representing the Auburn Creed, so arguably, he is being paid to be a good person.

27 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Ok.  Now we agree.  So does Gus need to let someone spend 18 hours a day on the offense and run it or does Gus need to run it spending 6 hours a day telling someone with the title of OC how he wants him to run it?

Again, I think you are adding your own narrative into how the program is run to fit your agenda, because you don't and can't actually know. While I doubt Chip puts in 18 hour days (Gus is a workaholic), I would expect, as the OC, that he is putting in significant hours on game planning and then presenting his thoughts to his boss for input/approval. As an offensive minded head coach, I would imagine Gus and Chip have several meetings where Gus adds his input. I doubt very much that Gus is cobbling together the game plan by himself, in the time he has available for offensive strategy, and handing it to Chip and saying "do this".  If that was the case, we would see the same thing that happened at LSU happen at Auburn (i.e. Chip quitting). The thought that Chip would agree to be a glorified play caller is ludicrous.  

Gus, like most head coaches, has an offensive philosophy. Chip is having to adjust to it, but if you didn't see his influence in the offense, last season, then you aren't watching very closely. I, personally, expect to see more of it in his second year and with a seasoned QB. 

In all honesty, I think Gus is a better OC than Chip. Gus is however, no longer an OC. I also think Chip has a very high ceiling and can surpass Gus, but he's going to have to put in the work.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

I don't know all of the details about the team, behind the scenes, so I can't say that I fully agree or disagree with any of the game plans. What I saw, this year, was that Kerryon was at least a level above all of our other backs, and his ability made up for areas we were lacking in, especially on the Offensive Line.  There is a chance that an 80% Kerryon still has more to offer than a 100% Kam Martin... but I'm not witnessing practices, so I don't know what the coaches were seeing, who was putting in the work, etc. One thing I'm able to look at, after the season, is the situation with Kam Pettway. Gus is well known for dismissing players that aren't taking care of their personal issues, and Sean was sent packing early, but he kept Kam. That, to me, underlines the fact that our staff didn't believe our younger backs could get it done... but again, while based on analyzing evidence, that's still speculation on my part.

As for what he's being paid for, part of it is being the most public face of Auburn University and representing the Auburn Creed, so arguably, he is being paid to be a good person.

I absolutely have zero issues with Gus as a person or the face of Auburn's football program as I believe he is a high character person.  I just think as a coach he is stubborn and has serious trust issues.  I don't think KJ was 80% for the game.  Our gameplan and or the plays we ran were the exact same as the 1st game.  Did he really think UGA would not fix the issues they had in the first game.  Especially when they get to defend a RB that is nowhere near what he was.  When it was evident that KJ could not carry the team and that the offensive gameplan was not working there was no answer.  What did Saban do at halftime when the gameplan was not working against UGA?  JS was not the reason why our offense was not working but I did not see anything different from us in the 2nd half.  You can't just say KJ got us here and we have full confidence in him.  The TEAM got you there and you should have full confidence in the whole team.

39 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You're coming around to us on the Darkside more than you realize...

I don't "pick & choose" which games to say he ran the offense as has been suggested that some do.  I feel he basically gives CCL a script, for lack of better term, for every game, and when everything is good, it's good.  But when the D takes them "off script".... Uh oh, now what? (As you stated previously, there's no Plan B,C,D,-Z.)

That's when you see the creativity completely vanish.  Offense gets stuck in the mud, and the D can only hang so long cuz they're constantly on the field.

(The following is not targeted at you, KC, just my "general" thought)..

Granted, this can and does happen occasionally, to the best teams.  Yes.  But, they're the BEST teams because the HC does what it takes to make sure it doesn't CONTINUE to happen.

But due to the history of the last 3-4 years in a row, how can we NOT expect it to happen at least 2-3-4 times this year?  No matter what changes, each year looks the same.  ...and he got a raise for it too, NICE!

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Again, I think you are adding your own narrative into how the program is run to fit your agenda, because you don't and can't actually know. While I doubt Chip puts in 18 hour days (Gus is a workaholic), I would expect, as the OC, that he is putting in significant hours on game planning and then presenting his thoughts to his boss for input/approval. As an offensive minded head coach, I would imagine Gus and Chip have several meetings where Gus adds his input. I doubt very much that Gus is cobbling together the game plan by himself, in the time he has available for offensive strategy, and handing it to Chip and saying "do this".  If that was the case, we would see the same thing that happened at LSU happen at Auburn (i.e. Chip quitting). The thought that Chip would agree to be a glorified play caller is ludicrous.  

Gus, like most head coaches, has an offensive philosophy. Chip is having to adjust to it, but if you didn't see his influence in the offense, last season, then you aren't watching very closely. I, personally, expect to see more of it in his second year and with a seasoned QB. 

If you are referring to WR screen and go deep then I hope Chip has more to offer and I know he does.  The routes we run and the passing game do not look like what Chip has done in the past.

This is what Chip is capable of.  2 backs with 1000 yards and the passing to go along with it.  Most fans thought we were going to see more changes.

Lindsey's Golden Eagle offense ranked among the best in the nation in 2015 in several offensive categories, including fifth in total touchdowns, seventh in total points, eighth in total passing yards and completions, and 12th in points per game and passing yards per game. The 2015 Golden Eagles tallied nearly 6,800 yards of total offense, including more than 4,200 passing yards and just under 2,500 rushing yards. The national leader with 102 explosive plays, they were just the second school in FBS history with a 4,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard receiver and two 1,000-yard rushers.

2 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

I absolutely have zero issues with Gus as a person or the face of Auburn's football program as I believe he is a high character person.  I just think as a coach he is stubborn and has serious trust issues.  I don't think KJ was 80% for the game.  Our gameplan and or the plays we ran were the exact same as the 1st game.  Did he really think UGA would not fix the issues they had in the first game.  Especially when they get to defend a RB that is nowhere near what he was.  When it was evident that KJ could not carry the team and that the offensive gameplan was not working there was no answer.  What did Saban do at halftime when the gameplan was not working against UGA?  JS was not the reason why our offense was not working but I did not see anything different from us in the 2nd half.  You can't just say KJ got us here and we have full confidence in him.  The TEAM got you there and you should have full confidence in the whole team.

I think KJ was better than 80% before the cheap shot. After... I don't know that I would give him 60%, but that's part of the game. 

I honestly lay most of our losses this year on an O-Line that wasn't taught proper technique and could be out-schemed (with a true teacher coaching them, I don't expect that to be an issue going forward). The other HUGE issue we have is the same one we've been struggling with for years, which is the quality of our depth only goes so far. When we lose multiple starters, unlike our closest rivals, we lose the ability to have the next 5* recruit step up.

What did Saban do at halftime when the game plan wasn't working?  He put in his 5* phenom QB, who many people expected to take the starting job out of the gate. When we have that level of talent, 3-4 deep at running back, we can do the same thing when 1&2 are hurt/suspended.

9 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Lindsey's Golden Eagle offense ranked among the best in the nation in 2015 in several offensive categories, including fifth in total touchdowns, seventh in total points, eighth in total passing yards and completions, and 12th in points per game and passing yards per game. The 2015 Golden Eagles tallied nearly 6,800 yards of total offense, including more than 4,200 passing yards and just under 2,500 rushing yards. The national leader with 102 explosive plays, they were just the second school in FBS history with a 4,000-yard passer, a 1,000-yard receiver and two 1,000-yard rushers.

Just remember, similar things can be said about Tulsa's offense when Gus was running it, but expect the pitchforks and torches to come out of the woodwork if you bring up Tulsa. Chip's previous offenses didn't have to face off, every other week, against the best defenses in the nation.

I think Chip has the possibility of becoming a top OC in the SEC, but you are going to have to give it time.

5 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Just remember, similar things can be said about Tulsa's offense when Gus was running it, but expect the pitchforks and torches to come out of the woodwork if you bring up Tulsa. Chip's previous offenses didn't have to face off, every other week, against the best defenses in the nation.

I think Chip has the possibility of becoming a top OC in the SEC, but you are going to have to give it time.

Two quick things.  #1 Chip had the same talent level as his competition.  #2 Why does our offense look nothing like Tulsa or Chips with our WR's and JS at QB?  If we don't have studs like bama to fill in for injured players then shouldn't we play to our strengths.

I don't think it's the amount of time that will prevent Chip from being a top OC here.

13 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I don't "pick & choose" which games to say he ran the offense as has been suggested that some do.  I feel he basically gives CCL a script, for lack of better term, for every game, and when everything is good, it's good.  But when the D takes them "off script".... Uh oh, now what? (As you stated previously, there's no Plan B,C,D,-Z.)

That's when you see the creativity completely vanish.  Offense gets stuck in the mud, and the D can only hang so long cuz they're constantly on the field.

You could be right, but I'm more inclined to think that, from day 1, he sat down with Chip and said, "This is the kind of team we are, structure the offense accordingly." I imagine Saban has the same conversations with his OC, as no one can deny a Saban offense is a Saban offense, no matter who, other than Kiffen, is coaching it. 

One thing that sticks out to me more than anything else from last season is Stidham talking about how complicated our offense is. I often wonder how much that plays a part in getting stuck in the mud.

6 minutes ago, NorthGATiger said:

Why does our offense look nothing like Tulsa or Chips with our WR's and JS at QB?  If we don't have studs like bama to fill in for injured players then shouldn't we play to our strengths.

My guess is that we either don't have all of the parts needed for that offense or we don't think that offense would be successful against SEC defenses. I also think we do play to our strengths. If we didn't we wouldn't annihilate most of our opponents. All I can do is trust that a group of guys who have far more knowledge and experience than I do coaching football know more about it than I do.

2 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You could be right, but I'm more inclined to think that, from day 1, he sat down with Chip and said, "This is the kind of team we are, structure the offense accordingly." I imagine Saban has the same conversations with his OC, as no one can deny a Saban offense is a Saban offense, no matter who, other than Kiffen, is coaching it. 

One thing that sticks out to me more than anything else from last season is Stidham talking about how complicated our offense is. I often wonder how much that plays a part in getting stuck in the mud.

I am with you here.  I am not seeing how this offense could be that much more complicated.  JS does not even get to audible or change plays at the LOS.  The whole team still looks to the sideline for any changes.  

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

What you described, is actually what is expected of a good HC.  Of course, the type of offense is going to be what he wants it to be and it should be.  Nobody begrudges him that.  Buck stops with him.  

It's simply my opinion that Gus takes it much, much further.  On a week to week, gameplan to gameplan, script to script basis.

Just look at the offense, on a game by game basis, since 2014...  Has anything really changed?  Through "3" OC's (Gus, Rhett, Chip)?  Outside of Whirlybird-gate, it's been the same exact Offense for 3 years. Much of the time it works, I'll grant you that.  It is a solid offense.  But, again, as I believe you agree... The evidence suggests there's no room for alternative thinking by his OC.

That, is the yearly downfall.  And what evidence has changed to make us to believe this year will be different?

I HOPE it is, BTW!  Just in a "show me" mode now.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

He's only played 1 season plus a couple games.

I really meant that for all players in general that people have talked about. I give Miller a pass because really I haven't heard much talk about him but the Sal Cannela's and NCM's they got to come with it.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Our offense is not complicated by any standard unless you're comparing it to the Briles offense. Not trying to sound like I'm snapping at you but this is the first time I've heard anyone try to call our offense complicated in comparison to any offense other than Baylor's old O. Allegedly, you could explain the Baylor O on a restaurant napkin in 15 minutes as described on that very broadcast that you heard Stidham talking about how complicated our O is.

I assure you, if I know what we are running based on personnel and alignment our offense cannot considered complicated. I am as novice of a football fan as you'll find and I think most of this board will notice our strong pattern of "Run up the gut on 1st (maybe even 2nd also), screen, then bomb ". I just cannot call that complex personally.

2 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

Exactly.  The biggest problem is that when Gus really needs to change things to accommodate injuries and such he does not do it.  Even when his OC has excelled in the past where we need the changes made.  2017 SEC Championship game is the glaring prime example.  Unborn children know that KJ can't play and that any contributions he provides will absolutely not win the game for us.  So what does Gus do?  He changes the gameplan to more of a passing attack and utilizes his other running backs right.  Hell no.  He runs the exact same thing as he did in game 1 with KJ crippled.  Like UGA was going to play us the same way.  And to further infuriate the masses in his post game interview when asked about playing another RB during the game he says some stupid a$$ crap like kj is the one who got us here and we have full confidence in him.

How can any of you not agree that this is the most bull headed, unimaginative, narcissistic coach on the planet?  The gameplan for the SEC Championship game is the exact example why people can't get behind Gus even when you point out the good things he does.  The guy is infuriating. 

Turnovers, poor execution on the offensive line and special teams blunders had a lot to do with that game. The Stidham fumble in the red zone gave UGA some mojo when it appeared if Auburn scores that UGA might pack it in. Not to mention the Bama win although great was a physically daunting game for the players, and then to have to line back up and face UGA again was tough, should have won but tough. UGA was not your normal sacrificial lamb the East has put up in years past. Nevertheless we get to judge all play calls and game plans, etc. in hindsight ..So if it does or did not work we can make an argument of what the team should have done. 

I will add my two cents just for the fun of it, although I have a feeling this thread will continue for at least another month as this is the dead period for new material.

Honestly no one really has an idea of exactly what is for sure happening of who really controls the offense.  People may guess, or think they know, but unless you are a coach you really have no idea.  We are all just a bunch of people typing words onto a forum that love Auburn.  So let's look at the only facts and statistics we do have:  

Gus this year tried to make it clear to the Auburn family he was not calling plays by flipping his headset up and staying 20 yards from the line of scrimmage when the offense was on the field.  He also had a note card instead of the traditional sheet.  People saying Chip was told to run certain plays or had a script is simply a guess.  You could be right, or you could be wrong.  But we just do not know.  Seeing our guys in game time is only a fraction of the effort put into a season.  It is like looking at an iceberg, only 10% of it is above the surface of the water.

This year, Auburn was one of the most balanced teams in the country.  One of four teams, to be exact, to average 225 yards per game in the air and on the ground.  This year, Auburn also set a record for the most average points per game in a season.

Now I know I am a sunshine pumper, and wear that badge proudly because it is just who I am, so you can take what I am about to say as you wish.  We have definitely gone through growing pains with Gus.  But Gus has been trending up every year, which is always good.  No plateau.  He wants us to succeed.  His biggest problem was his success in 2013 and trying to live up to that since.  If you remember in 2013, broadcasters were bragging on Gus saying he never sleeps, that he is always scheming to give his team a competitive advantage.  He knows where he needs to improve and even with the security in his new contract, he is looking for ways to improve them.

I think people on both sides of the spectrum can agree that Gus always fixes the big problem the previous season in the next season.  Every move he has made in the offseason we question at first, and then after we step back we say "Oh I get it now."  Remember when Steele was hired?  Or Burns?  Or T-Will?  Or Woodson?  All of those have panned out (TBD on Woodson although he is already making waves in recruiting).

Here is what I expect to see by Fall camp in improvements for us.  I expect for Kodi to continue to expand the route tree for the WR's.  I expect Chip to help Stidham improve in seeing the field under pressure.  I do not expect a drop-off in RB play with Horton at the helm.  I could see some growing pains with the OL, but I trust in Grimes to coach these guys up.  With all of this, I expect to see an improvement in our play.  The only thing I do not think we will see is more tight end uses, although I think I could be surprised that Shenker blows us away as I know he is a versatile TE that redshirted last year.

Just my two cents since this thread is most likely in it for the long haul...  :bananadance:

1 hour ago, NorthGATiger said:

I am with you here.  I am not seeing how this offense could be that much more complicated.  JS does not even get to audible or change plays at the LOS.  The whole team still looks to the sideline for any changes.  

I've always compared it to a dance. There are so many moving parts in Gus's schemes that all have to do their part, precisely, for success. One missed block and the whole thing falls apart. I can't say it's something that leaves one with a lot of confidence, but man is it pretty when it works.

28 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I will add my two cents just for the fun of it, although I have a feeling this thread will continue for at least another month as this is the dead period for new material.

Honestly no one really has an idea of exactly what is for sure happening of who really controls the offense.  People may guess, or think they know, but unless you are a coach you really have no idea.  We are all just a bunch of people typing words onto a forum that love Auburn.  So let's look at the only facts and statistics we do have:  

Gus this year tried to make it clear to the Auburn family he was not calling plays by flipping his headset up and staying 20 yards from the line of scrimmage when the offense was on the field.  He also had a note card instead of the traditional sheet.  People saying Chip was told to run certain plays or had a script is simply a guess.  You could be right, or you could be wrong.  But we just do not know.  Seeing our guys in game time is only a fraction of the effort put into a season.  It is like looking at an iceberg, only 10% of it is above the surface of the water.

This year, Auburn was one of the most balanced teams in the country.  One of four teams, to be exact, to average 225 yards per game in the air and on the ground.  This year, Auburn also set a record for the most average points per game in a season.

Now I know I am a sunshine pumper, and wear that badge proudly because it is just who I am, so you can take what I am about to say as you wish.  We have definitely gone through growing pains with Gus.  But Gus has been trending up every year, which is always good.  No plateau.  He wants us to succeed.  His biggest problem was his success in 2013 and trying to live up to that since.  If you remember in 2013, broadcasters were bragging on Gus saying he never sleeps, that he is always scheming to give his team a competitive advantage.  He knows where he needs to improve and even with the security in his new contract, he is looking for ways to improve them.

I think people on both sides of the spectrum can agree that Gus always fixes the big problem the previous season in the next season.  Every move he has made in the offseason we question at first, and then after we step back we say "Oh I get it now."  Remember when Steele was hired?  Or Burns?  Or T-Will?  Or Woodson?  All of those have panned out (TBD on Woodson although he is already making waves in recruiting).

Here is what I expect to see by Fall camp in improvements for us.  I expect for Kodi to continue to expand the route tree for the WR's.  I expect Chip to help Stidham improve in seeing the field under pressure.  I do not expect a drop-off in RB play with Horton at the helm.  I could see some growing pains with the OL, but I trust in Grimes to coach these guys up.  With all of this, I expect to see an improvement in our play.  The only thing I do not think we will see is more tight end uses, although I think I could be surprised that Shenker blows us away as I know he is a versatile TE that redshirted last year.

Just my two cents since this thread is most likely in it for the long haul...  :bananadance:

GET OFF MY LAWN!

;)

Seriously, I love your optimism!  I hope you're right and will be cheering right there with you (in spirit, at least) !

War Eagle!

3 hours ago, NorthGATiger said:

If you are referring to WR screen and go deep then I hope Chip has more to offer and I know he does.  The routes we run and the passing game do not look like what Chip has done in the past.

This is what Chip is capable of.  2 backs with 1000 yards and the passing to go along with it.  Most fans thought we were going to see more changes.

Ya, but who was calling the plays really?

Was it Lindsey? or was it Monken, who had taken the S. Miss job after spending 2 years as the OC at Oklahoma State and then left to take the OC position at Tampa.

Archived