California Paying Price for Sanctuary Cities

Proud Tiger

9 minutes ago, Auburnfan91 said:

I'm sorry if I wasn't clear, I was referring to your comments about the case being dropped, not if you want Trump to get re-elected...... hahahaha

Ha!  Gotcha.  I'm less concerned about sanctuary cities than others, so dropping the case would be fine with me.  I think the DOJ has bigger, more important fish to fry.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Ha!  Gotcha.  I'm less concerned about sanctuary cities than others, so dropping the case would be fine with me.  I think the DOJ has bigger, more important fish to fry.

Did you think the same thing in 2012 when the Obama administration brought a case against Arizona's immigration law?

I disagree with you though about dropping the case against California. I think this is a legitimate issue about immigration law and should be ruled on. If it was okay in 2012 to rule on the legality of Arizona's law then I fail to see why California's law shouldn't be ruled on. California is the one that injected themselves into this by, imo, going a step too far by threatening businesses/employers with prosecution for cooperating with federal officials. Then on top of that you have the Oakland mayor tipping off illegal immigrants in the city about the ICE raid trying to give them a heads up in order to evade authorities. 

What California is doing is basically obstructing federal officials from enforcing federal immigration laws and they're trying to force businesses and citizens in the state to obstruct as well. 

I posted this article back in January but it didn't receive any replies or discussion.

In 2012, California politicians and activists rallied across the country to call upon the U.S. Supreme Court to strike down an Arizona law enforcing federal immigration laws. They argued that such a measure is clearly preempted by federal law, which should solely dictate immigration policy. The Supreme Court in Arizona v. United States ultimately struck down parts of the law at the behest of the Obama administration.

Now, just six years later, it is California that has passed a law obstructing federal enforcement. Advocates are now insisting that California’s Immigrant Worker Protection Act must stand despite ordering businesses not to cooperate with federal enforcement. To prevail, the Supreme Court would have to issue a seemingly conflicted ruling that, while Arizona’s law assisting in immigration enforcement was unconstitutional, it is perfectly constitutional for California to pass a law inhibiting such enforcement.

read the rest of the article at: http://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/370012-california-immigrant-worker-law-is-a-golden-opportunity-for-jeff-sessions

11 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Had a great beer last time I was in NOLA.  Forgot the name, but it had pure cane sugar in it.  Freaking delish

Canebrake? Parish Brewing Company. 

11 hours ago, Auburnfan91 said:

Did you think the same thing in 2012 when the Obama administration brought a case against Arizona's immigration law?

I disagree with you though about dropping the case against California. I think this is a legitimate issue about immigration law and should be ruled on. If it was okay in 2012 to rule on the legality of Arizona's law then I fail to see why California's law shouldn't be ruled on. California is the one that injected themselves into this by, imo, going a step too far by threatening businesses/employers with prosecution for cooperating with federal officials. Then on top of that you have the Oakland mayor tipping off illegal immigrants in the city about the ICE raid trying to give them a heads up in order to evade authorities. 

What California is doing is basically obstructing federal officials from enforcing federal immigration laws and they're trying to force businesses and citizens in the state to obstruct as well. 

I posted this article back in January but it didn't receive any replies or discussion.

read the rest of the article at: http://thehill.com/opinion/judiciary/370012-california-immigrant-worker-law-is-a-golden-opportunity-for-jeff-sessions

So I honestly had no opinion in 2012 because I wasn't paying close enough attention at the time (was pre-occupied with getting married).  However, reading into it, I see the argument made as to why the California law may not stand in federal court and it makes perfect sense.  But the problem you run into is here:

"If it was okay in 2012 to rule on the legality of Arizona's law then I fail to see why California's law shouldn't be ruled on."

At that point in 2012, the case had been going on for a while and Obama was in his fourth year of office.  As I said earlier, if Trump is not re-elected in 2020 but this case is still ongoing, it could easily be dropped by a new admin.  Whether or not a law should be ruled on is a different conversation that whether it will be ruled on, which is what I think is a more pressing matter at this time.  Thus for the Trump admin, figuring out a way to expedite this through courts should be a priority.

13 hours ago, NolaAuTiger said:

Did you use the ol foot wedge?

Any of you fellas ever played Augusta?

and Brad, lots of good cheap beer in Nola!

Nope not from a lack of trying. Back in the day if you worked as a volunteer for the Masters you could play the course the Monday after the tournament. I tried for 15 years to get to be volunteer never made it. Been to the Master many times always a Thursday or Friday round.

The second best course I ever played was Pine Valley Golf Club in Jersey. Lots of history there and hard as hell......I am a big fan of old golf courses with a history to them.

19 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

The second best course I ever played was Pine Valley Golf Club in Jersey. Lots of history there and hard as hell......I am a big fan of old golf courses with a history to them.

You played Pine Valley?!  That's awesome.  How did you even get on there?

56 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Nope not from a lack of trying. Back in the day if you worked as a volunteer for the Masters you could play the course the Monday after the tournament. I tried for 15 years to get to be volunteer never made it. Been to the Master many times always a Thursday or Friday round.

I play the Zurich Classic course a good bit. Definitely not up there with Augusta, PB, and Pine Valley though. 

4 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

You played Pine Valley?!  That's awesome.  How did you even get on there?

Pharmaceutical wholesaler I worked for was started in Bergen County New Jersey with a DC in Pinebrook, NJ. The CEO of the company got me on......the company is now called AmerisourceBergen....ABC in the stock market.

Bergen Drug, what it was called back then, has a very interesting history

Archived