California Paying Price for Sanctuary Cities

Proud Tiger

The big cities in California have become a disgrace and now they are paying the price for being sanctuary cities,  having so many social justice policies, and liberal Dem leadership.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/02/26/los-angeles-burbs-crack-down-on-huge-homeless-camp-near-disneyland-fearing-new-skid-row.html

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is a complete mess and I'm glad the Orange County board is doing something to try and clean it up.

That said, what does "sanctuary cities" have to do with this?  Nothing in the article mentions that as a root or contributing cause and the OC Board of Supervisors chair doesn't pin the blame on that either.

Homelessness in California is largely due to crazy high cost of living.  There are people in San Francisco who make six figures but can't afford a decent apartment because inventory can't keep up with demand.  It's nuts right now.

10 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

Homelessness in California is largely due to crazy high cost of living.  There are people in San Francisco who make six figures but can't afford a decent apartment because inventory can't keep up with demand.  It's nuts right now.

Sounds to me like California is paying (the) price of a booming economy. 

9 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Sounds to me like California is paying (the) price of a booming economy. 

It's partially like that here in Austin.  Pricing for some long time residents has gotten so high that they are being forced to move, even in suburbs.

Yep everything is just great in California if you are looking thru rose colored glasses . Jerry Brown, Feinstein, Pelosi, Waters, etc., have been great leaders  .:drippingsarcasm7pa:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/01/california-has-worst-quality-life-in-us-study-says.html

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Yep everything is just great in California if you are looking thru rose colored glasses . Jerry Brown, Feinstein, Pelosi, Waters, etc., have been great leaders  .:drippingsarcasm7pa:

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/03/01/california-has-worst-quality-life-in-us-study-says.html

So the biggest thing in that article that lead to the last place spot talks about the point I've already made: it's hard to afford a house there because property is expensive.  It happens when a lot of people who make good money live in a confined area, specifically the major cities, thus making it harder for lower income levels to find housing.  That's nothing new.  And it should be noted, I despise Los Angeles and would never live in California because the cost of living is so out of whack.  But understand that this issue isn't all due to politicians and you're being disingenuous to suggest otherwise.  If anything, I'd say they've done pretty well by wooing top tech companies to set up shop there, bringing in high paying jobs and lots of tax revenue.

Also, with due respect to my home state, someone that lives in Alabama should not be throwing stones.  Just some AL numbers for you:

3rd in Obesity

7th in Poverty

46th in Education

8th in Total Crime (#6 in violent crime rates)

Fix your own home before laughing at someone else's.

27 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

So the biggest thing in that article that lead to the last place spot talks about the point I've already made: it's hard to afford a house there because property is expensive.  It happens when a lot of people who make good money live in a confined area, specifically the major cities, thus making it harder for lower income levels to find housing.  That's nothing new.  And it should be noted, I despise Los Angeles and would never live in California because the cost of living is so out of whack.  But understand that this issue isn't all due to politicians and you're being disingenuous to suggest otherwise.  If anything, I'd say they've done pretty well by wooing top tech companies to set up shop there, bringing in high paying jobs and lots of tax revenue.

Also, with due respect to my home state, someone that lives in Alabama should not be throwing stones.  Just some AL numbers for you:

3rd in Obesity

7th in Poverty

46th in Education

Just FYI I have lived in CA. My wife grew up there. She has no desire to go back and I sure as heck don't. I am perfectly happy living in Auburn, AL You should try it:hellyeah:

If CA is doing so great economically why are they bankrupt?

29 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Just FYI I have lived in CA. My wife grew up there. She has no desire to go back and I sure as heck don't. I am perfectly happy living in Auburn, AL You should try it:hellyeah:

If CA is doing so great economically why are they bankrupt?

The state of CA isn't at all bankrupt.  As has been discussed here before, CA is actually one of the most independent state's in the country financially.  Meanwhile, Alabama is one of the least.  If you did even the simplest Google search, you would know this.  Are there cities in California thinking about bankruptcy?  Yes.  Just like Jefferson County, AL did in 2011.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-alabama-jeffersoncounty1/alabama-county-files-biggest-municipal-bankruptcy-idUSTRE7A94CP20111110?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

Also, I have lived in Auburn.  Twice.  Loved it both times.  But as a whole, the state of Alabama has a lot of freaking problems to fix.  And if we're talking politicians, it's not like Alabama is doing well on that front either considering how many of them have either resigned or gone to jail.  I'm just saying that those in glasses houses shouldn't throw stones.

15 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

The state of CA isn't at all bankrupt.  As has been discussed here before, CA is actually one of the most independent state's in the country financially.  Meanwhile, Alabama is one of the least.  If you did even the simplest Google search, you would know this.  Are there cities in California thinking about bankruptcy?  Yes.  Just like Jefferson County, AL did in 2011.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-most-least-dependent-on-the-federal-government/2700/

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-usa-alabama-jeffersoncounty1/alabama-county-files-biggest-municipal-bankruptcy-idUSTRE7A94CP20111110?feedType=RSS&feedName=domesticNews

Also, I have lived in Auburn.  Twice.  Loved it both times.  But as a whole, the state of Alabama has a lot of freaking problems to fix.  And if we're talking politicians, it's not like Alabama is doing well on that front either considering how many of them have either resigned or gone to jail.  I'm just saying that those in glasses houses shouldn't throw stones.

I guess it's a matter of semantics. They may not be bankrupt they are insolvent. The state pension fund for public employees alone has over a $1OOB shortfall. I agree Alabama has a lot of problems. Not denying that at all and it is well publicized. But CA is usually the one throwing rocks at the rest of the country.

And where else can you find a mayor of a large city announcing an ICE raid so as to protect hundreds of illegals?  This is where the sanctuary city thing comes into play. I hope they lock her butt up for obstruction of justice.

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

3rd in Obesity

7th in Poverty

46th in Education

There is a lot wrong with California that is why I left there in 1995. There is one of the largest illegal Immigrant populations per capita just like there is here in Texas. The reason for both states have large numbers of illegal immigrants is both states have a common border with Mexico. While I disapprove of sanctuary cites you are correct it has nothing to do with the homeless population. I agree with most of your points. That said high taxes and fees and bad infrastructure, roads are falling apart dams are old and no money in budget to repair them and we are seeing a huge influx of people and some businesses from California relocating to other states. Two things keep California population growing a higher birth rate than death rate and an influx of foreigners to the state.

While California is a very large state there are huge swaths of the state that are not very habitable the south eastern part of the state is very dry, there have been water shortages, and many of the places where people build are in fire prone areas which then become mudslide areas when the rains come. Crowded roads throughout most of the state not just in the big cities no new land to develop at at some point I do expect a large exodus from California.

I think their government is misguided but even if they had better government the huge population the limited areas of habitable land, unlike cities like New York and Chicago the cities can't grow taller buildings because of earth quake faults, limited water supply,  old infrastructure, etc. there are just to many fundamentals working against the state.

So this study used Natural Environment and Social Environment as its measures for Quality of Life. 50% each.

So Natural Environment consisted of: National environment measures drinking water quality, pollution and industrial toxins, and air quality. Where Alabama ranked 43rd and California ranked 44th. Not much difference considering the size of cities and populations in California vs Texas. This really surprised me.

Social environment measures community engagement, social support and voter participation. This is where Alabama kicks in over California for that quality of life ranking. Alabama is 27 vs California's 47. Which makes absolute sense seeing the amount of rural communities and highly active participation in churches for example. I mean even things like going to a wing place and watching Alabama football are in there (which is a huge huge engagement activity in that state).

Included in social environment are community engagement, social support and voter participation. Community engagement and social support are based on surveys of how often people participate in community events and how often they spend time with friends, family and work colleagues.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/quality-of-life/social-environment

So in this rankings, Alabama fan goes to bar and drinks/wings out to watch a game improves quality of life in Alabama, while me throwing on headphones and running Town Lake without interacting lowers quality of life in Texas. Despite the fact that Town Lake has great scenery, lots of activity to watch, and doing this is my stress reliever and actually increases my quality of life.

The article isn't even following the study.

Which state has the best quality of life?

Iowa, which scored highly in infrastructure and health care, took the top spot overall.

North Dakota has the best quality of life and Iowa is 9th.

https://www.usnews.com/news/best-states/rankings/quality-of-life

If you go through the overall rankings Iowa is 1, California is 32, and Alabama is 46th.

On 2/28/2018 at 9:34 AM, Brad_ATX said:

It's partially like that here in Austin.  Pricing for some long time residents has gotten so high that they are being forced to move, even in suburbs.

Average one bed room in Austin (850ft) is pushing $1100, while same space in like San Francisco I think is pushing $3800.

1 hour ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Average one bed room in Austin (850ft) is pushing $1100, while same space in like San Francisco I think is pushing $3800.

But the wages here aren't as high as those in San Francisco.

Average wages in Santa Clara county is over $36 an hour.  In San Francisco/Mateo, it's over $33.  Here in Travis County, Texas, it's $23.

Couple that with the fact that there's more room to spread out here than in SF as noted above by ANT, and you get extremely high rental rates.  The bigger issue though is the lack of lower income housing.  Even with all of these high paying jobs, you still need janitors, cooks, etc.  But these folks have nowhere to go in some of these more expensive cities.  That's not necessarily a government issue as much as it is a flaw with basic capitalism. 

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

There is a lot wrong with California that is why I left there in 1995. There is one of the largest illegal Immigrant populations per capita just like there is here in Texas. The reason for both states have large numbers of illegal immigrants is both states have a common border with Mexico. While I disapprove of sanctuary cites you are correct it has nothing to do with the homeless population. I agree with most of your points. That said high taxes and fees and bad infrastructure, roads are falling apart dams are old and no money in budget to repair them and we are seeing a huge influx of people and some businesses from California relocating to other states. Two things keep California population growing a higher birth rate than death rate and an influx of foreigners to the state.

While California is a very large state there are huge swaths of the state that are not very habitable the south eastern part of the state is very dry, there have been water shortages, and many of the places where people build are in fire prone areas which then become mudslide areas when the rains come. Crowded roads throughout most of the state not just in the big cities no new land to develop at at some point I do expect a large exodus from California.

I think their government is misguided but even if they had better government the huge population the limited areas of habitable land, unlike cities like New York and Chicago the cities can't grow taller buildings because of earth quake faults, limited water supply,  old infrastructure, etc. there are just to many fundamentals working against the state.

Oh trust me, I'm not here defending California as a bastion of great places to live.  And many of the points you brought up here are very spot on.  My main objection to start with was that PT was throwing stones at politicians and a state without realizing how bad off Alabama is as well, therefore I wanted to make that very clear.  There are problem red states and problem blue states.  That's not even remotely up for debate to me.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

Can't we all just agree that Texas is the greatest ?

Well considering I'm moving from here next year.....

1 minute ago, Brad_ATX said:

Well considering I'm moving from here next year.....

We'll keep the light on for you...

2 hours ago, Brad_ATX said:

But the wages here aren't as high as those in San Francisco.

Average wages in Santa Clara county is over $36 an hour.  In San Francisco/Mateo, it's over $33.  Here in Travis County, Texas, it's $23.

Couple that with the fact that there's more room to spread out here than in SF as noted above by ANT, and you get extremely high rental rates.  The bigger issue though is the lack of lower income housing.  Even with all of these high paying jobs, you still need janitors, cooks, etc.  But these folks have nowhere to go in some of these more expensive cities.  That's not necessarily a government issue as much as it is a flaw with basic capitalism. 

Seeing that in the Mueller area right now. It's almost like night and day when you cross 51st street. The low income will be driven out of there soon.

On 3/1/2018 at 9:57 AM, Proud Tiger said:

Yeah, just wish we could all be as Third World as Alabama...Jesus Christ

1 hour ago, Mid Atlantic Tiger said:

Yeah, just wish we could all be as Third World as Alabama...Jesus Christ

Better to be third world than in la la land. And what does Jesus have to do with it except to shake his head at what we have become.

20 hours ago, Proud Tiger said:

Better to be third world than in la la land. And what does Jesus have to do with it except to shake his head at what we have become.

Yeah, that $6 Billion surplus their governor will leave them with is pure horse hockey...Yep, I agree, looking at the mess Conservative Christians have made of The Way and how they have screwed up this country, I am pretty sure that he would definitely weep

Archived