2019 3* C Jakai Clark Decommitted from AU (Update 9/3/18 )

WFE12

2 hours ago, Barnacle said:

I don't understand how you guys follow this stuff as closely as some of you do. Being an Auburn football fan is hard enough!

I save time by not watching videos or reading articles unless they say something like insider nuggets or recruiting nuggets. I look for comments or posts on the articles from reporters or connected people in the know. That's where the good stuff is. As for the games, since I miss most live I watch replays in plays only fashion. Takes about 45 min to watch a game that way.

41 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Any chance we ever do whatever it takes to get McGee away from Georgia?

Tried hard after last season. He set in there unless he gets a promotion. Coming to AU to be the RB coach is a lateral move, not a promotion.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Tried hard after last season. He set in there unless he gets a promotion. Coming to AU to be the RB coach is a lateral move, not a promotion.

Special teams, running back coach, recruiting coordinator/Co-OC and pay him more than UGA. Better backs = more wins = more fans in the stands which negates the extra money we'd pay for his services. I just love spending other peoples money. Ready for @ellitor to rip this post to shreds. ?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

29 minutes ago, gc2525 said:

Does this mean that we have solid silent commits from other OL recruits?

No. It means AU let him go. See WDE's posts on the last few pages of this thread.

good riddance! now we have another slot for a 4 or 5 star ball player!

• Like 1

Amazing that so many people expect a 17 year old prima donna HS recruit to keep his word during recruiting season.  Expect the worst and you almost never get surprised or disappointed.    Good reason in my view not to get too excited until the letters are signed ....which is December now of course. 

I see 3 kids in MS that are 3 stars at C and one 2 star.   Wondering if our staff likes any of them.   

Also, the #4 C in the US in Utah....he thinks he is going to Oregon (uncommitted).  Oregon already has the #9 C committed!    "Hello Logan, my name is Gus Malzahn and I would like to chat with you about playing in the SEC for championships, do you have minute?  Maybe you saw us play on Saturday....."

Also, the #8 C is going to NCState?   For real?   Ugghhhhh.   Also the #12 C is going to MS State?    hello?

I sure hope we are making some calls.  

I can do that if the staff is busy this week.   I know some think it is complicated, but taking a longshot involves zero risk.   

Edited by Beaker

4 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Special teams, running back coach, recruiting coordinator/Co-OC and pay him more than UGA.

Pay him more than others who have been on the AU staff at higher positions and have been loyal? I wouldn't.

Also, remember this: He's recruiting Georgia kids to their state school. There's no telling how much less success he'd have at AU, but you can bet there would be a falloff.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Amazing that so many people expect a 17 year old prima donna HS recruit to keep his word during recruiting season.  Expect the worst and you almost never get surprised or disappointed.    Good reason in my view not to get too excited until the letters are signed ....which is December now of course. 

Fair post other than assuming he's a prima-donna. You don't know the kid so you have no right calling him that. You could be right but again, you don't know just as most of us don't know. From what I've gathered of him through the recruiting process I would say he's far from being a prima-donna.  Also it goes against the site's rule on no name calling.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I see 3 kids in MS that are 3 stars at C and one 2 star.   Wondering if our staff likes any of them.   

Also, the #4 C in the US in Utah....he thinks he is going to Oregon (uncommitted).  Oregon already has the #9 C committed!    "Hello Logan, my name is Gus Malzahn and I would like to chat with you about playing in the SEC for championships, do you have minute?  Maybe you saw us play on Saturday....."

Also, the #8 C is going to NCState?   For real?   Ugghhhhh.   Also the #12 C is going to MS State?    hello?

I sure hope we are making some calls.  

I can do that if the staff is busy this week.   I know some think it is complicated, but taking a longshot involves zero risk.   

You do realize just because where a site ranks recruits & at what position it doesn't mean the recruits are actually recruited by the colleges at those positions or have them as high on their boards right?

...And your not allowed to make calls for AU. It's against NCAA rules.

40 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Fair post other than assuming he's a prima-donna. You don't know the kid so you have no right calling him that. You could be right but again, you don't know just as most of us don't know. From what I've gathered of him through the recruiting process I would say he's far from being a prima-donna.  Also it goes against the site's rule on no name calling.

OK...that's fair but in general I think a good percent fall into that category ….maybe don't start there but after being wined and dined by college coaches across the nation, visiting multi-million dollar Recruiting Centers, having  personal meetings with some of the nation's best and most highly paid coaches, etc. etc. .....it's easy to see that some young kids start to think pretty highly of themselves....and maybe lose some of their standards along the way.   Seems this one might have lied to AU coaches during the process. 

So...delete the word prima donna and let's go with the rest of it.....and be somewhat skeptical about what you hear out of the mouth of an 18 year old, highly sought after HS football player  

And in defense of the prospects, they also should be skeptical of words coming out of the mouths of coaches who are trying to lure them with implied promises about what life will be like at BIG STATE U.

2 hours ago, Mikey said:

Pay him more than others who have been on the AU staff at higher positions and have been loyal? I wouldn't.

What are we paying Kodi and what are his titles?  Just asking for a friend...;)

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

What are we paying Kodi and what are his titles?  Just asking for a friend...;)

Tell your friend to ask for herself.

• Haha 1

20 hours ago, ellitor said:

We could have had Dell last year if Gus would have stepped up and gave Dell the title he wanted (Co-OC ) and a little more money than uga. 

• Thanks 1
  • Angry 2

15 hours ago, Mikey said:

Also, remember this: He's recruiting Georgia kids to their state school. There's no telling how much less success he'd have at AU, but you can bet there would be a falloff.

This is the most overplayed stereotype in the history of recruiting. Stud recruiters are just that, stud recruiters. Helps a little but the great ones do what they do. Dell isn't just recruiting Georgia kids. Google where his RB's commits are from and explain that one to me.  

• Thanks 1
  • Love 2

15 hours ago, ellitor said:

You do realize just because where a site ranks recruits & at what position it doesn't mean the recruits are actually recruited by the colleges at those positions or have them as high on their boards right?

...And your not allowed to make calls for AU. It's against NCAA rules.

I'm good, I promise.   I was just being sarcastic.    I would never do something stupid to hurt Auburn.  

And yeah, we value what the staff thinks more than a site regarding rankings.   We all get a little annoyed when we lose are commitment and we immediately "react" and find the next great opportunity.   

Any idea how we recruited B Smith from KS?    Did he come to a camp?  Was it a "longshot"?     I doubt our staff was watching Olathe HS play Witchita HS.....

59 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

We could have had Dell last year if Gus would have stepped up and gave Dell the title he wanted (Co-OC ) and a little more money than uga. 

So maybe Gus is apprehensive b/c Craig didn't work out..and didn't want to get himself into another situation where he was making promises he couldn't deliver on?  Under that scenario, Horton would have been out I guess?

1 hour ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Damn! Thanks for the info as always.

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

Any idea how we recruited B Smith from KS?    Did he come to a camp?  Was it a "longshot"?     I doubt our staff was watching Olathe HS play Witchita HS.....

Got in touch with him his SR year of high school. Only competition was TCU. He visited AU for his OV & it was over.

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Got in touch with him his SR year of high school. Only competition was TCU. He visited AU for his OV & it was over.

wow....great story.   I've been to TCU, my daughter toured it.   Nothing special at all.  

Thanks for sharing.       Hope we can find the next Braden Smith, somewhere.   

22 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Since anything that's not impossible is possible, I suppose that's possibly true. Of course, it doesn't address the disruption such a move could have caused in the current staff and other issues this might have created.

I'm confident that the guys on staff would not be too broken up over replacing the guy who's been widely reported to have a foot out the door for a couple seasons now with the guy who's been loading uga's backfield with 5* guys and sending them to the NFL in the first round. 

Horton's a Gus guy. He's not a Chip guy or an anyone else guy. I'm sure they all like him just fine but these are professionals who want to win. 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2