Woman accuses Kavanaugh of sexual assault decades ago

Proud Tiger

8 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Delete your cookies or open an incognito tab.

Subscribing isn't a bad option either.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, TitanTiger said:

We have an entire US city that uses the "what happens here stays here" as a marketing campaign tagline.  We used to jokingly use the phrase for our small group at church to convey the idea that what is shared here during discussions and prayer time doesn't get shared outside the group.  To unearth that quote in the aftermath of this allegation is deceptive.  To edit it down to essentially just that phrase, along with what she tweeted with it is unacceptable for a Senator.

I cannot speak for your church group but it sounds like it was used as a way to confirm privacy about whatever(?). 

But to most people, it implies a cover-up of bad/sinful/fun behavior.

6 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I think it simply just reiterates what we already knew - he's just another white guy with a privileged background.  He can't help that, but we need more judges with different backgrounds IMO. 

Does not reiterate anything Homer and this thread is not about needing judges with different backgrounds

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

I cannot speak for your church group but it sounds like it was used as a way to confirm privacy about whatever(?). 

Yes.  Privacy of personal things that may be discussed in the group.

7 minutes ago, homersapien said:

But to most people, it implies a cover-up of bad/sinful/fun behavior.

It is, but even then (such as in the Las Vegas commercials that made the phrase famous), it's not implying a coverup of criminal activity or sex crimes, just "sinful" or embarrassing behavior - probably after drinking heavily.  And those are vastly different things.

6 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Does not reiterate anything Homer and this thread is not about needing judges with different backgrounds

Sure it does.  Unless he went on some sort of financial assistance plan, which I doubt.  (Current) resident tuition is over $60k/year.  I also doubt he attended Yale and Yale law school using financial assistance.

He comes from a privileged background, period.

And commenting on our need for more judges with more diverse backgrounds than Kavanaugh's is certainly a fair topic for this thread.

35 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Because, at best, I posted and commented on an old story based on what she said she would do at the time.  But if it makes your jimmies unrustled, I'll concede.  Enjoy your Pyrrhic victory.

So many choices.  Should I go with you thinking Condy Rice and Stanford should insert themselves into the situation for no reasonable purpose on God's green earth, or the "bombshell" that a US Senator doesn't actually do sex crime investigations, or the fact that you made the same claim I did based on the information you knew the time.  Should I note how many of your posts consistsently take shots at her or imply she's lying rather than objectively lay out the point you wish to make?  Maybe I should go with all the ridiculous "gotcha" questions you thought would be so hard for her to answer.  Or maybe it's the contention that even if he *is* guilty of attempted rape, we should still confirm him to an unelected, lifetime appointment to the most powerful court in the land.  So many choices.  It'll be hard.  Give me a minute.

But you're right.  Let's not waste anymore time on this and move on.

I'm sometimes slow but I think I got it. Whenever you disagree with me it's a failure on my part. With that finding I move on.

7 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

I'm sometimes slow but I think I got it. Whenever you disagree with me it's a failure on my part. With that finding I move on.

Every freaking time.

11 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

Out comes the favorite Boogeyman.  

A liberal group received money from a wealthy liberal donor?

A liberal attorney is taking a case that may prevent a conservative justice's appointment?

Seriously?

One woman's opinion:

"If you're going to make this accusation but not willing to subject yourself to questions then you should suffer the consequences of filing a complaint." -----Judge Janine Pirro

Here's an article - written from a woman's perspective - worth consideration:

https://www.theatlantic.com/ideas/archive/2018/09/the-wrong-question-for-brett-kavanaugh/570697/

The Wrong Question for Brett Kavanaugh

7 minutes ago, Proud Tiger said:

One woman's opinion:

"If you're going to make this accusation but not willing to subject yourself to questions then you should suffer the consequences of filing a complaint." -----Judge Janine Pirro

You mean ex Judge.  She is now a Republican politician who hosts a show on the Faux "News" Channel.  :rolleyes:

I guess you'll quote Tucker Carlson or Sean Hannity next.

News.....The Judiciary Committee is now telling Ford they are willing to send a team to her and will do it openly or privately. Seems to me the committee is bending over backword to accommodate her. If she refuses this then the confirmation process should proceed IMO.

1 hour ago, homersapien said:

Sure it does.  Unless he went on some sort of financial assistance plan, which I doubt.  (Current) resident tuition is over $60k/year.  I also doubt he attended Yale and Yale law school using financial assistance.

He comes from a privileged background, period.

And commenting on our need for more judges with more diverse backgrounds than Kavanaugh's is certainly a fair topic for this thread.

I seem to remember the same type accusations when Clarence Thomas was nominated.  Maybe its not really the diverse background that you and your fellow party members are seeking.

1 minute ago, WDavE said:

I seem to remember the same type accusations when Clarence Thomas was nominated.  Maybe its not really the diverse background that you and your fellow party members are seeking.

I could totally dig Hardiman, with his modest background in comparison. 

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

Thanks. Glad you see that too.

I'm talking about the "nobody likes me, think I'll go eat worms" routine.  Sheesh.

1 hour ago, Proud Tiger said:

News.....The Judiciary Committee is now telling Ford they are willing to send a team to her and will do it openly or privately. Seems to me the committee is bending over backword to accommodate her. If she refuses this then the confirmation process should proceed IMO.

Yes.  If the investigation procedure set by precedent in the Thomas confirmation hearing is completed, and she is given an appropriate amount of time and options to present her story and chooses not to, the proper thing would be to commence with the confirmation process.

7 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Again, I think a little bit arrogant for people like us (especially men) who've never been sexually assaulted and never even felt vulnerable to it to sit by and critique how someone else processes such a traumatic event in their life.

Looking back over the decades to my age 14 to 17 years, I could name two adult women and two male teachers as having made inappropriate advances towards me. Was I traumatized? No. I simply fended the advances off and moved on. I'll agree that I was not physically attacked but I was subjected to some pressure. Who cares, I don't!

You have the choice of either reporting such things at the time or shutting the hell up and getting on with your life. This crap of suddenly becoming offended 30 years later is just that, crap.

12 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Looking back over the decades to my age 14 to 17 years, I could name two adult women and two male teachers as having made inappropriate advances towards me. Was I traumatized? No. I simply fended the advances off and moved on. I'll agree that I was not physically attacked but I was subjected to some pressure. Who cares, I don't!

Were any of them significantly bigger and stronger physically than you and outweigh you by 40-50 lbs perhaps?  And did a couple of them ever gang up, force you into a room, and one of them pinned you to the bed and clamped a hand over your mouth while trying to take off your clothes?  And then did the other decide he was bored with just watching and wanted to make it a threesome and you were physically incapable of fending them off?

Because if all of those things weren't part of your story, then your "made advances" anecdotes aren't comparable to what she alleges she suffered and don't mean s*** in this context.

You have the choice of either reporting such things at the time or shutting the hell up and getting on with your life. This crap of suddenly becoming offended 30 years later is just that, crap.

She wasn't "suddenly" offended.  She's been dealing with the ripple effects of the trauma for decades now, to the point where it was affecting her marriage, which was why her and her husband were at this therapist in the first place where she recounted the attempted rape during one or more of the sessions.  I imagine it probably is a tad easier to "get on with your life" when the worst of it were a few inappropriate advances vs barely avoiding rape.

Stop mischaracterizing what's happening to bolster your argument.

5 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

She wasn't "suddenly" offended.  She's been dealing with the ripple effects of the trauma for decades now,

Unless she's flat-out lying, which is at least a 50-50 likelihood. This person has demonstrated, publicly, a powerful hatred for all things Trump. She has motive, means, and she has created opportunity. I don't think any rational person should take her seriously unless she can come up with some witnesses that will testify on her behalf.

11 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

Were any of them significantly bigger and stronger physically than you and outweigh you by 40-50 lbs perhaps......

I already addressed that.

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Unless she's flat-out lying, which is at least a 50-50 likelihood. This person has demonstrated, publicly, a powerful hatred for all things Trump. She has motive, means, and she has created opportunity. I don't think any rational person should take her seriously unless she can come up with some witnesses that will testify on her behalf.

Don't jump topics here.  You just argued that because you were able to blow off some unwanted advances that she should be able to blow off an attempted rape (assuming it happened), insinuating that her inability to do so somehow makes her story suspect.

7 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I already addressed that.

Well, not really.  But regardless, you were raped.  You weren't even close to being raped unless you have more stories you haven't told us yet.  Your inappropriate advances aren't on the same level as what she's alleging.

Archived