"Clap Snap"

Browning4AU

Maybe it's been discussed on here before, but does anyone think this clap snap puts the OL at anymore of a disadvantage? It seemed as though last night Arky had a jump on the snap count all the way until the end of the 3rd quarter. It seemed at that point, AU made an adjustment where JS would clap, they would go hard count, and it kept Arky from getting a jump on the ball. 

Hate the clap snap. It's way too easy to predict. And if you watch films, like every did, you can get the timing down hence Arkansas blowing up a few plays as soon as they started. We need to help the Oline any way we can and so far it doesn't seem like it is

Hopefully the coaches watching tape will see how much it hurt our blocking, although there were at least 4 uncalled offsides penalties where they got a little too much of a head start.

They changed it up a few times with JS stopping right before clapping and sometimes clapping more than once. It’s just like a “hut” you have to change up which one you go on consistently.

Arky was definitely attempting to take advantage of it and LSU ate us alive with it.

59 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

Hopefully the coaches watching tape will see how much it hurt our blocking, although there were at least 4 uncalled offsides penalties where they got a little too much of a head start.

I saw that too.....

The clap snap was supposed to be an advantage for the offense especially in an away environment.  I have been told that originally the clap let everybody know that the QB was ready.  It was up to the Center to snap at anytime after that.  The OLine had to watch the ball or the Guards if outside of them.  The defense was doing the same.  That at least keeps the defense honest. 

2 hours ago, grandpajay said:

Watched some of the bama/atm game, Bama was using the clap snap.

When your OL is inexperienced/not good, it seems to give an advantage. That seemed to be the case last night. 

1 hour ago, around4ever said:

The clap snap was supposed to be an advantage for the offense especially in an away environment.  I have been told that originally the clap let everybody know that the QB was ready.  It was up to the Center to snap at anytime after that.  The OLine had to watch the ball or the Guards if outside of them.  The defense was doing the same.  That at least keeps the defense honest. 

Arky was off sides several times trying to jump the snap.....and refs even called them for it once.....but as noted....it's not the signal to snap the ball....and most of the time there was some delay before the snap was made.....though the center might be able to create more problems by being less predictable with his snap.

Check this...

https://www.thenewstribune.com/sports/college/pac-12/university-of-washington/article36500640.html

ooo fresh idea, what if once they played "the penis" game instead. that would actually be hilarious they pulled it off (no pun) and got the defense to jump offsides for once. 

9 minutes ago, 1911tiger said:

I use the clap to sync Rod up with the video.

If the kick-off War Eagle doesn't do it you're right...the clap snap does.

6 hours ago, AUDevil said:

I got sick of watching that guy off the edge blow up play after play.

You won't see less of it going forward.  It's certain death to an offense that is unable/unwilling to run the QB or RB outside.  Jacksonville State kicked our ass pinching from the outside on every play in 2015 and everybody has done it since.  It was far too risky with the QB's we had before that; wow what I would give for Nick Marshall 2.0.....

Image result for nick marshall read option gif

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

You won't see less of it going forward.  It's certain death to an offense that is unable/unwilling to run the QB or RB outside.  Jacksonville State kicked our ass pinching from the outside on every play in 2015 and everybody has done it since.  It was far too risky with the QB's we had before that; wow what I would give for Nick Marshall 2.0.....

Image result for nick marshall read option gif

Man look at the blocking and overall execution on that play. O linemen getting to 2nd level. What i would give for that. 

6 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

To me when i watch our games it looks like our OL is in too big of a hurry to get to the second level as they haven't fully blocked the first level. 

I'm not sure whether to LMAO or applaud such an astute observation.

2 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

To me when i watch our games it looks like our OL is in too big of a hurry to get to the second level as they haven't fully blocked the first level. 

That is a common problem in zone blocking, especially with soft players and lack of communication and cooperation.

On 9/23/2018 at 6:24 PM, around4ever said:

This. Clapping does not equal (read: is not supposed to equal) “snap the ball”. Clapping simply tells the center the qb is ready. Its a silent count/cadence. However, if, like in baseball, the ball is snapped on the same rhythm everytime the defense can pick it up. Its on the center just like its on the pitcher in baseball to change up his looks, timing of his snap 

I have noticed that just about every team that runs a spread offense uses the clap by the QB to set the play and get the ball snapped. If there is a predictable pattern on our end where DLs are able blow up the play by predicting the moment the ball will be snapped, we need to change things up and be far less predictable when the ball is going to be snapped.

I have no problem with the clap to signal that the ball is ready to be snapped by the center. We just need to be less predictable to keep the opposing defensive line honest. This should be an easy fix and we need to get this taken care before we head to Starkville where there will be tons of noise (cow bells) to deal with.

24 minutes ago, doc4aday said:

This should be an easy fix and we need to get this taken care before we head to Starkville where there will be tons of noise (cow bells) to deal with.

Could be wrong, but think they have a new rule that once the center is over the ball the bells have to stop.  Shouldn't be an issue unless they aren't enforcing it, which knowing the SEC officials, wouldn't surprise me.  Since we rarely huddle, I'd just have the center get over the ball as soon as the play was over, and not hear a freaking cowbell on offense all day.

1 minute ago, oracle79 said:

Could be wrong, but think they have a new rule that once the center is over the ball the bells have to stop.  Shouldn't be an issue unless they aren't enforcing it, which knowing the SEC officials, wouldn't surprise me.  Since we rarely huddle, I'd just have the center get over the ball as soon as the play was over, and not hear a freaking cowbell on offense all day.

I've been to a game in Starkville already this season and you are right. The fans didn't give them a reason to have to enforce the rule. It wasn't an SEC game though so I'm not sure how they'll be then. I'm going the the Florida game this week and our game next week there. Wife's a MSU grad and we live pretty close so that's why we go. They've been counting the days until Mullen comes back so if they get rowdy it should be this week. 

19 hours ago, oracle79 said:

I would be surprised if the refs throw a flag for excessive bell ringing by MSU. It is a good rule though if they enforce it. It will happen no doubt with the bell ringing. We will see and hope for good things!

Archived