Post-Arkansas -- Coordinators Speak

RunInRed

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

What pass rush? Lol. We’ve been having to bring the house to get penetration so far. We should have sacked Arkys QB like 10 times.

You do know that the only game we didn't get a consistent push was LSU, right?  And that's largely because they kept 7-9 guys in to block.

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

You do know that the only game we didn't get a consistent push was LSU, right?  And that's largely because they kept 7-9 guys in to block.

I’ve noticed that we are getting a push, but we are def having problems tackling and containing the QB. Seems like the QBs are creating enough time to make plays, a lot more, than last year. 

14 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’ve noticed that we are getting a push, but we are def having problems tackling and containing the QB. Seems like the QBs are creating enough time to make plays, a lot more, than last year. 

Oh totally agreed on tackling and containment.  That's a whole separate issue though.

46 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I can’t wait to, one day, see an Auburn football team that isn’t afraid to embarrass its SEC opponents. Sure we beat up on Alabama St teams like that, but we have never stuck our foot on the throat of an SEC team, even when it’s obvious that we can. 

We beat 5 SEC teams by 21 points or more last season. We beat Arkansas 56-3 in 2016. This staff has done it before. 

Now if you are wanting us to go full Spurrier and keep pressing even with backups, I understand! 

9 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

We beat 5 SEC teams by 21 points or more last season. We beat Arkansas 56-3 in 2016. This staff has done it before. 

Now if you are wanting us to go full Spurrier and keep pressing even with backups, I understand! 

That’s what I want to see. Let the backups go in and run the exact same offense. It would be beneficial to the younger guys to get in there and do something besides run up the middle.

Just now, AuCivilEng1 said:

That’s what I want to see. Let the backups go in and run the exact same offense. It would be beneficial to the younger guys to get in there and do something besides run up the middle.

I think it also had a lot to do with how Spurrier was able to pull a QB so quickly, with a stable of backups ready to play with the game on the line.

1 hour ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Under Malzahn, it’s been pretty normal for the majority of fans to complain about the strongest aspect of the team when that part fails. The number of fans complaining about redzone offense after the 2014 Iron Bowl.

True.

My complaint after Arkansas is totally on Malzahn. CCL, did not call that game. You could see the frustration from JS and CCL in the Booth all game. We used hardly any motion and were very sporratic with our personnel groupings too.

Agree.

My tin foil hat theory:

Malzahn typically brings his best against Arkansas. Always several new plays and a attacking mindset. I think Malzahn went vanilla against Arkansas for several reasons. A) establish reps for the new OL with the offense with Brahms at Center B.) Not force the issue against his friend Morris (not big on this, but I can’t help but think about it due to how big of a deal Malzahn made of it) C) Address some player concerns about play time. After LSU, I thought we would see more Shivers and Whitlow. Kam Martin got the start and for the most part struggles to get yards after contact. D) the game played out in a manner in which the offense never needed to deviate from its ‘plan’. 

You know what sucks? This is our best case scenario. Like, this is the most optimistic view of the game possible.

I do not think Arkansas was a reflection of what our offense is capable of, but it is very frustrating that we would approach ANY game like this. I guess we will see in the weeks to come, but that was a valuable game to get live reps at working on generating explosive plays. I hope I am wrong, but I fear that a major locker room issue is close to surfacing. Something worse than what we had with Whitehead in 2014.

It would not be the first, second or even third time that Gus was focused on the wrong things going into and during a game. The other team, the scoreboard, you name it. 

That's fantastic. I just watched Steele's interview as I had a pretty busy Sunday. If he's pissed at the offense, good for him. If he's pissed at the reporters for something, good for him. He's got no obligation to act a certain way. I kinda hope he's mad at the offense and it's a call for the O to "get it together." 

4 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

That's fantastic. I just watched Steele's interview as I had a pretty busy Sunday. If he's pissed at the offense, good for him. If he's pissed at the reporters for something, good for him. He's got no obligation to act a certain way. I kinda hope he's mad at the offense and it's a call for the O to "get it together." 

Steele, trust me, is old school, and doesn't give a crap about the offensive issues. He is seasoned enough to just take care of his job and his players and how they play. It's obvious, that he was pissed at some media, because of how they reported some issues with his D after the LSU game, and maybe something was reported after the Ark game.

But forget that he is acting this way bc of the offense. That's a real stretch.

15 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

My complaint after Arkansas is totally on Malzahn. CCL, did not call that game. You could see the frustration from JS and CCL in the Booth all game. We used hardly any motion and were very sporratic with our personnel groupings too.

I don't agree totally. 

I saw the play on tv, where CCL got frustrated on National tv camera, after Stidham had a 3rd down pass play where he held the ball too long, then got pressure, had to scramble but got sacked. Lindsey was throwing up his hands because he probably saw open WR(s), and Stidham didn't pull the trigger. 

Another reason is bc one of the delay of game calls that got Stidham mad, was due to CL, cause Lindsey said he had to do push ups today bc he caused it not getting the play in on time. If that was on Gus, CL wouldn't begin to do a pushup. lol

Now ofc the Gus is going to put his 2 cents in, and override calls during the game for a lot of reasons. Now, it is a matter of how much he does this or tells CL what plays he wants during the game.

2 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

I don't agree totally. 

I saw the play on tv, where CCL got frustrated on National tv camera, after Stidham had a 3rd down pass play where he held the ball too long, then got pressure, had to scramble but got sacked. Lindsey was throwing up his hands because he probably saw open WR(s), and Stidham didn't pull the trigger. 

Another reason is bc one of the delay of game calls that got Stidham mad, was due to CL, cause Lindsey said he had to do push ups today bc he caused it not getting the play in on time. If that was on Gus, CL wouldn't begin to do a pushup. lol

Now ofc the Gus is going to put his 2 cents in, and override calls during the game for a lot of reasons. Now, it is a matter of how much he does this or tells CL what plays he wants during the game.

I dunno. You might be right. Overall, though, I feel like I saw a lot of the same problems that we've been seeing since before Chip was here. It felt like all of Gus's worst tendencies were on display, IMO.

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

We already know Gus is a stickler for perfection with his offense. He grinds on those players all the time, when they don't execute or make a mistake or are not playing hard.

What we see on the sidelines has nothing to do with what has to be expected of a coach with his offensive players. And I know I have seen Gus jerk a guy on offense who made a bad mental mistake or didn't execute properly. 

Not being smart A, but do you have any video links of what you reference?  I can't remember seeing any on TV and I've never been to a practice, so you may have inside info. Just curious.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I hope our Gus apologists read this before insulting their fellow fans. 

This kind of has me worried.  Other than 64 and Fifty, I haven't seen much of these guys around since the game.  Makes me think we might truly have offensive (or deeper) problems.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

I dunno. You might be right. Overall, though, I feel like I saw a lot of the same problems that we've been seeing since before Chip was here. It felt like all of Gus's worst tendencies were on display, IMO.

lol. I understand. It's like you look and look for a good movie to watch on tv. You say, hey that one looks real good. You start watching it, and then as the movie plays you start to realize that you've seen this sucker before, and you've now wasted your time. I think our offense at times looks like pre CL days. But I see some good pass plays too, but its up to JS to make it work.

I think the problem all starts with the OL getting stronger and working better together, and then it transcends to Stidham  being more comfortable in is setups and throws. We have found now for over a year, that Stidham, is a little gun shy when it comes to pocket pressure. He doesn't seem to shuffle or sense where to move to in a pocket that might be breaking down in certain spots. I think that is innate in a QB. You have it or you don't. JS has the physical skills, but he needs the intangibles that make a great College QB. 

28 minutes ago, TAYLORKEETON said:

If I remember right, he got into it with a coach 

He got into a "verbal altercation" with Cheese, ended up suspended & off the sideline for 4 games, and when he was allowed back he played special teams for a while.

6 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

Not being smart A, but do you have any video links of what you reference?  I can't remember seeing any on TV and I've never been to a practice, so you may have inside info. Just curious.

This kind of has me worried.  Other than 64 and Fifty, I haven't seen much of these guys around since the game.  Makes me think we might truly have offensive (or deeper) problems.

THis is just some quotes from other coaches he worked for or worked for him. He is a perfectionist. His problem seems, in his learning as he goes to adapt, and not to over complicate it, in order to be successful. 

“You know, the core of who he is hasn't changed,” Lashlee says. “He's a perfectionist, works extremely hard. The details are all that matter. I think what he's done has been very true to himself, which has helped him be successful.”

Malzahn is as much teacher as coach. He teaches lessons in offense and lessons in winning. Soft-spoken and almost shy off the field, he is fiercely intense on the field.

There's a good chance that after spending a couple weeks trying to digest Malzahn's complicated offense and satisfy his constant attention to detail....shouting was just part of the therapy.

Gus is meticulous in everything he does, says Pitt head coach Todd Graham, for whom Malzahn worked while at Tulsa from 2006-08. He's very highly organized.

11 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

lol. I understand. It's like you look and look for a good movie to watch on tv. You say, hey that one looks real good. You start watching it, and then as the movie plays you start to realize that you've seen this sucker before, and you've now wasted your time. I think our offense at times looks like pre CL days. But I see some good pass plays too, but its up to JS to make it work.

I think the problem all starts with the OL getting stronger and working better together, and then it transcends to Stidham  being more comfortable in is setups and throws. We have found now for over a year, that Stidham, is a little gun shy when it comes to pocket pressure. He doesn't seem to shuffle or sense where to move to in a pocket that might be breaking down in certain spots. I think that is innate in a QB. You have it or you don't. JS has the physical skills, but he needs the intangibles that make a great College QB. 

Stidham's coaches (whoever the hell is drawing up the game plan and calling plays) needs to pencil in some plays that take the pressure off of a sub-par oline and at the same time gives the QB passing options.  Stidham needs to be able to make his own reads and calls at the line instead of meer-cating to the sideline every freaking time waiting for someone else to do it for him. Until this running gets up and going, we are in trouble because we all know what happens in the SEC when a team can't find a running attack - it ain't pretty.

@steeleagle Thanks, but that's not what I meant.  I have no doubt Gus is a perfectionist.  I just want evidence of him getting in an offensive player's you know what.  I've never seen the dude raise his voice other than when he's going nuts on the sideline trying to act like he wants to hurry up the play.

6 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

THis is just some quotes from other coaches he worked for or worked for him. He is a perfectionist. His problem seems, in his learning as he goes to adapt, and not to over complicate it, in order to be successful. 

“You know, the core of who he is hasn't changed,” Lashlee says. “He's a perfectionist, works extremely hard. The details are all that matter. I think what he's done has been very true to himself, which has helped him be successful.”

Malzahn is as much teacher as coach. He teaches lessons in offense and lessons in winning. Soft-spoken and almost shy off the field, he is fiercely intense on the field.

There's a good chance that after spending a couple weeks trying to digest Malzahn's complicated offense and satisfy his constant attention to detail....shouting was just part of the therapy.

Gus is meticulous in everything he does, says Pitt head coach Todd Graham, for whom Malzahn worked while at Tulsa from 2006-08. He's very highly organized.

These comments are contrary to what we see in Gus' on-the-field product.  His perfectionist tendencies and attention to detail no longer translates to his staff or players. His offensive scheme is NOT complicated, doesn't appear organized and in no way shows attention to "detail", and when it fails to work he rarely changes course.  I have no doubt that he works very hard, but if he's truly meticulous in everything he does, then why do we see the haphazard, willy-nilly schemes we've all witnessed over the last 5 yrs?  Why doesn't he address the obvious detail "issues" that seem to hamper his teams ability to execute his meticulous schemes, and why can't he deviate from what's obviously not working and adapt for the betterment of this program?  The comments from his co-workers are the total opposite of what I see on the field.

I know of another HC in this conference that we all know is a jackass and is the epitome of OCD personality, highly organized, attention to detail, runs some very complicated schemes and uses shouting/cursing/blasting people's heads off when they sway away from his detailed plan of action.  His teams look well coached, prepared, fundamentally sound, and they consistently execute at the highest level of college football.  

32 minutes ago, keesler said:

These comments are contrary to what we see in Gus' on-the-field product.  His perfectionist tendencies and attention to detail no longer translates to his staff or players. His offensive scheme is NOT complicated, doesn't appear organized and in no way shows attention to "detail", and when it fails to work he rarely changes course.  I have no doubt that he works very hard, but if he's truly meticulous in everything he does, then why do we see the haphazard, willy-nilly schemes we've all witnessed over the last 5 yrs?  Why doesn't he address the obvious detail "issues" that seem to hamper his teams ability to execute his meticulous schemes, and why can't he deviate from what's obviously not working and adapt for the betterment of this program?  The comments from his co-workers are the total opposite of what I see on the field.

I know of another HC in this conference that we all know is a jackass and is the epitome of OCD personality, highly organized, attention to detail, runs some very complicated schemes and uses shouting/cursing/blasting people's heads off when they sway away from his detailed plan of action.  His teams look well coached, prepared, fundamentally sound, and they consistently execute at the highest level of college football.  

Oh  I agree. The problem is that OTHER coaches strength and trademark is defense, and he has to let other OC run the offense. Our problem is our HC IS suppose to be Offensive guru, and he is struggling to consistently make it run smoothly. He's having to adapt using CL and incorporating a sound passing attack. GM could always run the ball, and he will this year too, unless his OL just doesn't come through. Then we are in a heep of trouble.

6 hours ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Under Malzahn, it’s been pretty normal for the majority of fans to complain about the strongest aspect of the team when that part fails. The number of fans complaining about redzone offense after the 2014 Iron Bowl.

My tin foil hat theory:

Malzahn typically brings his best against Arkansas. Always several new plays and a attacking mindset. I think Malzahn went vanilla against Arkansas for several reasons. A) establish reps for the new OL with the offense with Brahms at Center B.) Not force the issue against his friend Morris (not big on this, but I can’t help but think about it due to how big of a deal Malzahn made of it) C) Address some player concerns about play time. After LSU, I thought we would see more Shivers and Whitlow. Kam Martin got the start and for the most part struggles to get yards after contact. D) the game played out in a manner in which the offense never needed to deviate from its ‘plan’. 

I do not think Arkansas was a reflection of what our offense is capable of, but it is very frustrating that we would approach ANY game like this. I guess we will see in the weeks to come, but that was a valuable game to get live reps at working on generating explosive plays. I hope I am wrong, but I fear that a major locker room issue is close to surfacing. Something worse than what we had with Whitehead in 2014.

I'm with you there. Im smelling there is definitely some dissention on the team. 

LSU loss wasn’t on the D. That one touchdown was unfortunate and a game of inches moment. We were two inches from a game sealing interception.

I will say it wasn’t their best showing but as former defensive guy, it’s very demoralizing and exhausting when you get stop after stop and your offense isn’t turning anything into points.

Youu lose steam, morale, and patience when turnovers and good field position aren’t capitalized on...

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

LSU loss wasn’t on the D. That one touchdown was unfortunate and a game of inches moment. We were two inches from a game sealing interception.

I will say it wasn’t their best showing but as former defensive guy, it’s very demoralizing and exhausting when you get stop after stop and your offense isn’t turning anything into points.

Youu lose steam, morale, and patience when turnovers and good field position aren’t capitalized on...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we scored only seven points on LSU in the second half? That ain't getting it done. 

Archived