Post-Arkansas -- Coordinators Speak

RunInRed

1 minute ago, Eagle-1 said:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but we scored only seven points on LSU in the second half? That ain't getting it done. 

I’m talking about defense? 

• Replies 102
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I’ve noticed that we are getting a push, but we are def having problems tackling and containing the QB. Seems like the QBs are creating enough time to make plays, a lot more, than last year. 

And Tua will exploit the piss outta that...

24 minutes ago, Zeek said:

LSU loss wasn’t on the D. That one touchdown was unfortunate and a game of inches moment. We were two inches from a game sealing interception.

I will say it wasn’t their best showing but as former defensive guy, it’s very demoralizing and exhausting when you get stop after stop and your offense isn’t turning anything into points.

Youu lose steam, morale, and patience when turnovers and good field position aren’t capitalized on...

Something like that might also piss off a DC.

?

23 minutes ago, keesler said:

?

I’m good with upset coaches. The difference between good and great is not being happy with “good”.

11 hours ago, keesler said:

I really wondered if that's why Steele was so pissed off at his presser, but evidently it was media related. 

15 hours ago, steeleagle said:

lol. I understand. It's like you look and look for a good movie to watch on tv. You say, hey that one looks real good. You start watching it, and then as the movie plays you start to realize that you've seen this sucker before, and you've now wasted your time. I think our offense at times looks like pre CL days. But I see some good pass plays too, but its up to JS to make it work.

I think the problem all starts with the OL getting stronger and working better together, and then it transcends to Stidham  being more comfortable in is setups and throws. We have found now for over a year, that Stidham, is a little gun shy when it comes to pocket pressure. He doesn't seem to shuffle or sense where to move to in a pocket that might be breaking down in certain spots. I think that is innate in a QB. You have it or you don't. JS has the physical skills, but he needs the intangibles that make a great College QB. 

Yeah. I hope the OL gels and we get better. Who knows, could be a championship contender after all. Just hate that we're still wondering. Again. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Yeah. I hope the OL gels and we get better. Who knows, could be a championship contender after all. Just hate that we're still wondering. Again. 

That's the worst part.  Usually after game 4 we sorta know what we have and I even stated in a pre-season thread "I'll tell you after game 4"....

Well, after game 4 this year I'm more confused than ever what we got.

18 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

That's the worst part.  Usually after game 4 we sorta know what we have and I even stated in a pre-season thread "I'll tell you after game 4"....

Well, after game 4 this year I'm more confused than ever what we got.

Me, too. 

On 9/24/2018 at 11:47 AM, bmartin3228 said:

100% he should be ripping the Oline for sure . Heck he should be ripping the entire offense , but if he was ripping the D-staff, not good at all . The time I was talking about happened later in the game, I recorded it this morning and find it tonight. 

Justin Garrett tweeted out after we won ...."If only the offense was held to the same standard of our defense"

Correction , just looked it up . He said "Only if offensive players were held to the same standards as defensive players." This was 9/22 at 10:10 pm (Just wanted to clarify)

That spoke volumes to me , i'm not in the know but just watching games it looks like he baby's the offensive players majority of time.

Looking at his series of recent tweets, I think it was more about how strict the NFL has become on how defenders are aloud to make a tackle without drawing a flag. In his defense, it has gotten ridiculous lately. Context is everything, including the addition of the word "our". 

When a player makes a bonehead decision, I would only hope the head coach would be visibly upset with that.  To think Gus has a soft spot for the offense and therefore goes easier on them is far-fetched.  I usually see him at his most irate whenever our offense turns the ball over. He's an offensive minded head coach, you think he's ok with their performance lately?

58 minutes ago, Tiger said:

What we saw vs Arky doesn't even look like the same staff that came up with this gameplan:

I wonder about this some times. Do they spend less time game planning because of the opponent? Heard this talked about relative to Va Tech and old dominion. Tech had two weeks before that game bc of the hurricane cancellation.  The talking heads inferred that was a given and they were likely game planning for their next opponent. Guess that’s a lesson learned for them

2 hours ago, ThereGoesDavis said:

Looking at his series of recent tweets, I think it was more about how strict the NFL has become on how defenders are aloud to make a tackle without drawing a flag. In his defense, it has gotten ridiculous lately. Context is everything, including the addition of the word "our". 

When a player makes a bonehead decision, I would only hope the head coach would be visibly upset with that.  To think Gus has a soft spot for the offense and therefore goes easier on them is far-fetched.  I usually see him at his most irate whenever our offense turns the ball over. He's an offensive minded head coach, you think he's ok with their performance lately?

For the 100th time , I am talking about another time during the game . Not the offsides . We had to burn a timeout late in game cause of personnel change on defense . It looked like he turned to defensive coaches and was irate . Again I was sitting on visitor side and was along way off, BUT IM AM not talking about the offsides . 

Our offense is out of sync/ not playing well , but they also look soft and unprepared .  My opinion , it’s not farfetch in the least . Playing undisciplined  in any sport is direct correlation to the coach . Usually due to players not paying attention to detail and not being held to a high standard. 

Did you not read the correction I made to his tweet in the post you quoted ? I was going off memory first time , then once I looked it up I added the tweet accurately and even left the original mistake up there . 

He may tweeted about NFL rules , but it was the night of the game he tweeted.

When you get it confirmed let me know.

I am not saying I’m right but this is what forums a for; 

1 hour ago, BJCrawford said:

I wonder about this some times. Do they spend less time game planning because of the opponent? Heard this talked about relative to Va Tech and old dominion. Tech had two weeks before that game bc of the hurricane cancellation.  The talking heads inferred that was a given and they were likely game planning for their next opponent. Guess that’s a lesson learned for them

I think Gus puts more effort into planning for some teams over others and it hurts the development of our players and program as a whole because of it. 

I understand not wanting to show certain things until we play some heavyweights but the first time we try something shouldn't be when the margin for error is so slim IMO

10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

I think Gus puts more effort into planning for some teams over others and it hurts the development of our players and program as a whole because of it. 

I understand not wanting to show certain things until we play some heavyweights but the first time we try something shouldn't be when the margin for error is so slim IMO

Exactly. We're not good enough to "play it close to the vest" rn.

And Gus is 100% guilty of focusing on the opponent- or future opponents- instead of his own team and its identity sometimes. 

16 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Exactly. We're not good enough to "play it close to the vest" rn.

And Gus is 100% guilty of focusing on the opponent- or future opponents- instead of his own team and its identity sometimes. 

Preaaachhh

1 hour ago, bmartin3228 said:

For the 100th time , I am talking about another time during the game . Not the offsides . We had to burn a timeout late in game cause of personnel change on defense . It looked like he turned to defensive coaches and was irate . Again I was sitting on visitor side and was along way off, BUT IM AM not talking about the offsides . 

Our offense is out of sync/ not playing well , but they also look soft and unprepared .  My opinion , it’s not farfetch in the least . Playing undisciplined  in any sport is direct correlation to the coach . Usually due to players not paying attention to detail and not being held to a high standard. 

Did you not read the correction I made to his tweet in the post you quoted ? I was going off memory first time , then once I looked it up I added the tweet accurately and even left the original mistake up there . 

He may tweeted about NFL rules , but it was the night of the game he tweeted.

When you get it confirmed let me know.

I am not saying I’m right but this is what forums a for; 

I am happy we can agree that forums are a platform for discussion.   It seemed from your post that after realizing the error, you still feel the tweet was geared towards Auburn's coaching staff. I noted your correction, but just wanted to share my perspective. I am not saying you're wrong, I just hope you are. 

As far as getting it confirmed, I am merely a couch analyst. Roger Goodell won't answer my phone calls. 

1 hour ago, ThereGoesDavis said:

I am happy we can agree that forums are a platform for discussion.   It seemed from your post that after realizing the error, you still feel the tweet was geared towards Auburn's coaching staff. I noted your correction, but just wanted to share my perspective. I am not saying you're wrong, I just hope you are. 

As far as getting it confirmed, I am merely a couch analyst. Roger Goodell won't answer my phone calls. 

me too  ??

5 hours ago, Tiger said:

What we saw vs Arky doesn't even look like the same staff that came up with this gameplan:

Didn't get to watch the game so thanks for the this! I started writing a list of bad decisions (mostly by Stidham) but got frustrated and quit. lol

A few things though...

1. That first 2pt conversion attempt would've been great but Malik kept it instead of throwing to his wide open man (Shenker). Selfish move.
2. Stidham flat out ignored an open Sal (seriously looks his way FIRST and then decides nope, I'm going to throw into coverage to RD).
3. Stidham bails immediately on the flea-flicker. Not sure if it was well covered or not but at least he got positive yardage that time.
4. On the targeting (overturned) play, Slayton had his man beat so it's kind of weird that Stidham didn't go to his #1 guy.
5. Every. Single. Post/Slant. Route. Worked.

Oh, and one more thing.. Cox got absolutely demolished at about 3:27! :D

6 hours ago, ThereGoesDavis said:

Finally got a chance to watch on tv. Not trying to beat a dead horse but when I thought , I could have seen Gus getting at the defensive staff was 3rd quarter 4:23 . You can’t see anything on TV though, but that was the time frame I was mentioniy. Just FYI

16 hours ago, Linayus said:

Didn't get to watch the game so thanks for the this! I started writing a list of bad decisions (mostly by Stidham) but got frustrated and quit. lol

A few things though...

1. That first 2pt conversion attempt would've been great but Malik kept it instead of throwing to his wide open man (Shenker). Selfish move.
2. Stidham flat out ignored an open Sal (seriously looks his way FIRST and then decides nope, I'm going to throw into coverage to RD).
3. Stidham bails immediately on the flea-flicker. Not sure if it was well covered or not but at least he got positive yardage that time.
4. On the targeting (overturned) play, Slayton had his man beat so it's kind of weird that Stidham didn't go to his #1 guy.
5. Every. Single. Post/Slant. Route. Worked.

Oh, and one more thing.. Cox got absolutely demolished at about 3:27! :D

No problem! I wish there was an AU Defense vs UW Offense video but I can't seem to find it. Our D was stout. These condensed versions of the games are great for a quick watch

17 hours ago, bmartin3228 said:

Finally got a chance to watch on tv. Not trying to beat a dead horse but when I thought , I could have seen Gus getting at the defensive staff was 3rd quarter 4:23 . You can’t see anything on TV though, but that was the time frame I was mentioniy. Just FYI

Well, honestly I like to hear it.  I want him to get onto the defense and offense for any blunders they make. Unfortunately, I think his anger to blunder ratio is a little lackluster at times for a head coach...  I wish it was more on par with those on this forum. The great head coaches of the world don't have a rep for being nice guys.

4 minutes ago, ThereGoesDavis said:

Well, honestly I like to hear it.  I want him to get onto the defense and offense for any blunders they make. Unfortunately, I think his anger to blunder ratio is a little lackluster at times for a head coach...  I wish it was more on par with those on this forum. The great head coaches of the world don't have a rep for being nice guys.

Fair stance.

Unfortunately for him, the defense has been playing at a very high level while the offense has not, and no video evidence of him chastising his offensive players equally for their substantially more frequent and damaging mistakes has surfaced. So the impression left is that his ire is inconsistent and favoring the side that is actually more deserving of it. 

Archived