Pope John Paul II dead at 84

mcgufcm

i don't know how much this will be discussed, but i thought it should at least be announced here. i know that it makes me sad to see him pass despite not being a Catholic. he's the only Pope my life has ever known. i've read and listen to a pretty good bit about him, and i don't know that my life will ever see a Pope as brilliant as him. he lived through facism, fought against communism, took Catholism into a new age of television and travel, opposed the liberalization of the Church... he was a great spiritual leader. it is happy to know that he will be in Heaven when i get there.

it's also really nervously exciting to see a new Pope. i wonder where the new Pope will come from. John Paul appointed at least 3 latin american cardinals to posts in the Vatican which is just an example that a wide diversity of qualified candidates exist throughout Catholism. God bless them as they make their choice; whomever it is will have tough shoes to fill.

I'm very sad, but at the same time, very happy. I'm sad, because I realize how much he meant to this world, and my church. I'm happy, because he's getting his reward in heaven right now. I'm happy because this world is a better place because he was our Pope. Catholic/Jewish/Muslim, I think all can agree that he was a great man.

I grew up in New Orleans, and was at the mass the Pope said in 1987, at the UNO soccer fields. I can remember him driving by me, and giving the sign of the cross towards me and a friend. I felt so blessed, and still do (for some reason, Bill Murray's line from Caddyshack, "So I got THAT going for me," always comes to mind).

My thoughts and prayers go out to all Catholics tonight.

A humble servant of Christ has gone on to be with his Lord face to face. God Bless you, John Paul. This world is better for having you, poorer for losing you.

Archived