What if Gus resigned?

KolchakAU85

So, hypothetically, is there any scenario under which Gus might resign

And what if he did?  I assume that AU wouldn't owe him anything.  In that case, he might owe AU some money, although I'm sure the university would gladly waive it just to see him go.

I think Gus is a nice guy.  He's straight-laced.  I've never seen or heard of him using profanity or yelling at a player on game day.  And I think he cares a lot about his public perception.  And just for arguments sake, let's say the current losing trend continues through this year, and the following two years.  Would he really stick around for years afterward and continue seeing his name drug through the Jordan-Hare mud at the expense of his (personally perceived) reputation and good name? 

At what point would he call it quits to escape the enormous pressure from running the AU football program into the ground?

Some people might stay in that situation just for the money, but I can say with 100% certainty that I would not.  I would feel almost duty-bound to apologetically resign.

Or would Gus stick around for his entire contract just for the money?

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

$32.5 million is a lot to walk away from, especially when your ego is telling you that you can get this thing turned around.  I don't see it happening. 

27 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

And what if he did?  I assume that AU wouldn't owe him anything.  In that case, he might owe AU some money, although I'm sure the university would gladly waive it just to see him go.

I think Gus is a nice guy.  He's straight-laced.  I've never seen or heard of him using profanity or yelling at a player on game day.  And I think he cares a lot about his public perception.  And just for arguments sake, let's say the current losing trend continues through this year, and the following two years.  Would he really stick around for years afterward and continue seeing his name drug through the Jordan-Hare mud at the expense of his (personally perceived) reputation and good name? 

At what point would he call it quits to escape the enormous pressure from running the AU football program into the ground?

Some people might stay in that situation just for the money, but I can say with 100% certainty that I would not.  I would feel almost duty-bound to apologetically resign.

Or would Gus stick around for his entire contract just for the money?

I'm sorry, but you have no way of knowing how you would react in his situation.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.  That kind of money is nearly impossible to walk away from.  It's not life-changing money we're talking about.  It's generational changing money (kids, grandkids, etc could be taken care of for the rest of their lives).

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

I'm sorry, but you have no way of knowing how you would react in his situation.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I doubt it.  That kind of money is nearly impossible to walk away from.  It's not life-changing money we're talking about.  It's generational changing money (kids, grandkids, etc could be taken care of for the rest of their lives).

Respectfully Brad, you are wrong about this.  Since you made an (incorrect) speculation about me, I'll counter with this (and it's true): I donated $50,000 (my inheritance) to St Jude's because I felt that since I didn't either earn or need the money, it should go to someone who truly needed it.  My sister told me I was crazy.

I think there are people in this world who would turn down untold riches for altruistic reasons.

But back to the speculation: I'm not sure Gus would really go through 7 years of this just for the money.  Not when he's already a multi-millionaire, with a job at the SEC Network waiting for him unless he's completely ruined his name by then.

29 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

To be fair, Gus has already made generational changing money in the 6 yrs he's been here. More than my family line dating back to the signing of the Declaration of Independence 🤣

Plz keep in mind that my pondering of a possible Gus resignation was based upon a hypothetical continuation of the current losing trend through the 2020 season.  At which point Gus would be a virtual laughing stock. 

If he does resign then he is even dumber than we all thought..........

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

If he does resign then he is even dumber than we all thought..........

I don't know about that.

If I had $10 million in the bank, plus a salvageable career and (most importantly) reputation, I would not trade away my career and reputation for any amount of money beyond that.

Is it really dumb to think that way?

And don't forget, my hypothetical scenario has Gus at AU through the 2020 season.  Which would mean he has many more millions than he does now.  And much more pressure as well.

41 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

And don't forget, my hypothetical scenario has Gus at AU through the 2020 season.  Which would mean he has many more millions than he does now.  And much more pressure as well.

I understand what you're saying.  It just doesn't hold water, because....

The issue with "2020" is that if he's doing poorly enough to feel the need to resign after the 2020 season, his buyout will be palatable enough for the PTB to fire him anyway.  That's not hypothetical.... that's probably what will happen at this point.

No, I don't believe he'll turn things around.  I, as a fan, have given him a 2nd, 3rd, 4th & 5th chance (not that he gives a flaming doughnut what I think).  I'm done with Gus.

1 hour ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Respectfully Brad, you are wrong about this.  Since you made an (incorrect) speculation about me, I'll counter with this (and it's true): I donated $50,000 (my inheritance) to St Jude's because I felt that since I didn't either earn or need the money, it should go to someone who truly needed it.  My sister told me I was crazy.

I think there are people in this world who would turn down untold riches for altruistic reasons.

But back to the speculation: I'm not sure Gus would really go through 7 years of this just for the money.  Not when he's already a multi-millionaire, with a job at the SEC Network waiting for him unless he's completely ruined his name by then.

Good for you man.  You are one of the few.  99% of folks, myself included, would stick it out as long as could be for that cash.  I don't care what Joe Schmo or anyone else thinks of me at that point.  While they're working long after I'm gone, I'll be in Tahiti enjoying the heck out of life.

I can't even remember the last coach who resigned because of losing the team, fans, and etc. These guys have egos and always think they can get it done. Problem is we are headed for, or already at a rebuilding phase, much like when Gene was let go. Someone will eventually come in and start rebuilding, developing players, and hopefully just reloading. Until then......??

3 minutes ago, Brad_ATX said:

Good for you man.  You are one of the few.  99% of folks, myself included, would stick it out as long as could be for that cash.  I don't what Joe Schmo or anyone else thinks of me at that point.  While they're working long after I'm gone, I'll be in Tahiti enjoying the heck out of life.

Oh, come on.  Not 99%.  I think you fail to consider some of my original (maybe implicit) criteria.

The scenario has him already set for life financially, yet failing miserably for the next 2.5 years as a HC, at which time he would be under the most intense pressure a HC could possibly face, with his reputation almost completely tarnished.

I think well more than 1% of people would resign in that situation.

2 hours ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Not necessarily resign, but as @TitanTiger said, we could negotiate a lesser buyout if he was feeling altruistic. He loves Auburn enough to donate 2 million to Auburn already. Money is obviously not a problem to him. 

Just now, aujeff11 said:

Not necessarily resign, but as @TitanTiger said, we could negotiate a lesser buyout if he was feeling altruistic. He loves Auburn enough to donate 2 million to Auburn already. Money is obviously not a problem to him. 

Good thought.  A negotiated, lesser buyout.  I could see that as an optimal solution.  But Jimmy Sexton is one hell of a negotiator.  Our new, highly touted AD would be going up against the best.  That would be an interesting match.

16 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

If I had to guess only one percent of America is set for life. Especially when talking about Gus’s value. 

In the end he will resign under a mutual agreement that most every coach that gets fired does. Why ? Because of his ego. He hasn’t ever been fired per say so he doesn’t want this to be his first. He will still walk away with a lot of money as he should because Leath made a stupid mistake and AU has to pay for it. How much will the buyout go down ? Probably not much. More likeley he will take less to start and more in payments. Either way the money isn’t the objective right now. If he can pullout an 7-5 with a win over uga or uat and a big bowl win then he gets another  year . If not he’s gone. He knows he is on the clock right now.

13 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Oh, come on.  Not 99%.  I think you fail to consider some of my original (maybe implicit) criteria.

The scenario has him already set for life financially, yet failing miserably for the next 2.5 years as a HC, at which time he would be under the most intense pressure a HC could possibly face, with his reputation almost completely tarnished.

Not without getting a significant buyout.  I don't care how much money you have, leaving $20M+ on the table in that situation would be foolish and very few people in this world would do it.  The opportunity to make that kind of cash is rare.

4 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

Good thought.  A negotiated, lesser buyout.  I could see that as an optimal solution.  But Jimmy Sexton is one hell of a negotiator.  Our new, highly touted AD would be going up against the best.  That would be an interesting match.

Jimmy Sexton is the cancer that helped get Auburn in this mess. I wish Auburn would just refuse to negotiate if he’s involved. 

3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

If I had to guess only one percent of America is set for life.

The scenario was hypothetical, assuming the specific criteria (among others) of being financially set for life.  Under the specific circumstances that I mentioned (including the intense pressure and possible complete loss of reputation), I think a lot more than 1% would resign.  This has unintentionally diverged into a psychology discussion.  But since there's no good football to talk about, psychology is as good as anything I guess.

And I don't want to make enemies.  I just had a thought of Gus' resignation as a remote possibility and thought it intriguing.

8 minutes ago, KolchakAU85 said:

The scenario was hypothetical, assuming the specific criteria (among others) of being financially set for life.  Under the specific circumstances that I mentioned (including the intense pressure and possible complete loss of reputation), I think a lot more than 1% would resign. 

His reputation is already tarnished imo. He was the HUNH guru that had to figuratively give up his play calling duties. Anyways, I just don’t think it is reasonable to think he might consider resigning. Even if more than one percent is willing to resign under such pressure, and let’s just say that number is 10, there is still 90% still looking to fill up their basket, figuratively speaking.  Sure there is a possibility, but the odds are slim. The best possibilty in my mind is to convince him to take less and and to make the divorce as clean and pain free as possible for both sides. 

I think we will part ways after the 2019 season if the wheels come off next year like they have this year. Doesn't the buyout go down each year?  If enough big time contributors can come through at the end of the season it could be possible. Does anyone know who are the biggest contributors are to our athletic program?

If we had 10 big donors willing to pony up. 2.5 million each at the end of the season and have the AD program to divvy up the rest over a 3-4 year period, we would be in good shape to go out and hire a coach that can get it done. There are many coordinators who could come in for 4 million a year that would likely turn the program around. Along with some HCs out there that could turn us around for less than a king's ransom we are paying Gus.

I am ready for basketball and baseball seasons that cannot get here soon enough.

Archived