What a horrible place to be

cole256

15 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

First of all, welcome to the 21st century. It isn’t and shouldn’t be the job of fans to motivate the team. But fan impressions and feelings are everywhere now. All players have to do is open a web browser. Coaches try to shield players from it, but they can’t stop players from getting on the internet. Second, I doesn’t matter how quickly we got over it. We reacted very strongly to that loss. We acted like our chance at the championship was over. Folks were saying our line is trash, we have no good running backs, Stidham doesn’t belong in this offense, and lots of other wrong criticism: Im sure the players heard it, and, if they did, they’d probably be affected by it. Third, that line by Davis felt very political. What else is he going to say there? “Shut up fans. We’re trying.” “Our fans’ expectations are obnoxious.” Something like that would have gotten him in trouble.

Oh, so because Davis's line doesn't fit your narrative, it's "political"?  Couldn't be those are his true feelings, right?  

And yeah, people have the internet and players can read.  Whooptie-doo Basil.  I can tell you stories from when I was in college of people trashing the team to their face one year.  Players still went out and played hard every week.

Your point about "they would probably be affected by it" is so far off.  Dude, you have a Ph.D. in Psychology.  Good for you.  I have real world experience traveling and working with high level players among an array of sports across the college and professional sports worlds.  I saw them and spoke to them candidly every single day.  Do they read the boards or hear booing?  Yep.  Do they really care what we think?  The answer is overwhelmingly hell no.  Usually, they read it and laugh at our stupid comments because we have zero idea what is going on inside meeting rooms or locker rooms. 

Frankly, I don't think you're giving their level of maturity enough credit.  Football players at the D-1 level, especially in the SEC, know exactly what they are getting into and most want to play at rhe next level.   Consider this kid gloves for what a player would experience if he is lucky enough to be drafted to Philly, New York, Dallas, Denver, etc.

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply
21 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

First of all, welcome to the 21st century. It isn’t and shouldn’t be the job of fans to motivate the team. But fan impressions and feelings are everywhere now. All players have to do is open a web browser. Coaches try to shield players from it, but they can’t stop players from getting on the internet. Second, I doesn’t matter how quickly we got over it. We reacted very strongly to that loss. We acted like our chance at the championship was over. Folks were saying our line is trash, we have no good running backs, Stidham doesn’t belong in this offense, and lots of other wrong criticism: Im sure the players heard it, and, if they did, they’d probably be affected by it. Third, that line by Davis felt very political. What else is he going to say there? “Shut up fans. We’re trying.” “Our fans’ expectations are obnoxious.” Something like that would have gotten him in trouble.

Clearly you aren't an athlete. Fans don't motivate a team? Are you serious? So what's home field advantage? Why is it important?

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

I’m a sports psychologist, not a clinical psychologist. I don’t do therapy. I do research, and publish it in research journals. I also consult with teams and companies to improve motivation and morale.

... which is why I made my original point that you guys really don’t understand how human motivation works.

Nope they don’t at all...

This thread has been more entertaining than some of the games.  I love Expert vs Laymen... it's like Robots vs Wrestlers!

Robots_v_wrestlers.png

1 hour ago, AUFriction said:

I started typing up a long response to this that fully explained my rationale, but my phone froze and I lost it. So I’ll give you the quick version.

Gus is far from a great coach. He is very slow to adapt, and sometimes gets too creative with playcalling. He’s also way too stubborn. However, 1. We are stuck with him for at least another year. So we can either support the team and hope he adapts, or give the team no support and watch them do even worse. 2. I think there are more bad coaches than good ones. And this year, there appear to be few proven coaches that we will be able to get, especially when you take the buyout into account. Gus has been above average as a coach. However, he’s put us in a bowl every year, and we’ve had a couple of very good years with him. Think about all of the SEC teams, some of which were perennial powerhouses, that have had losing records in recent years.

So, we can complain for the next 1 1/4 years and hope someone better is on available next year, or we can be supportive. Critique the bad decisions, but don’t  outwardly bash the players or coaches. Since we’re stuck with Gus, hope he turns it around rather than acting like you are waiting for him to fail.

I understand your thoughts on Gus, however, there is a difference between supporting the team and supporting the coaches.  I will alway support the team as they are Auburn. The coaches are professional teachers that are paid an exorbitant amount of money to instruct our student athletes in their chosen field of endeavor. You mentioned Gus’ issues and most of us agree with those and he will probably be here for another year.  The narrative will be at it’s height with the Bama loss and may get worse if we loose our bowl game.

Recently, the fan base will gnash it’s teeth during the off season, only to be soothed by the propaganda we get about Spring and Summer workouts.  Then it will start all over again with Gus’ inability to know what he has in way of talent and who should play where.  The halo affect has worn off with Gus and the halo error is fully entrenched itself.  Sometimes the weather man has to get away from all their charts and graphs and look outside to see if it is raining.

Why is the gif in your sig the Coxcat Whirlybird? To show how stubborn and creative, to a fault, he is?

1 hour ago, OnthePlains said:

He doesn’t do therapy! Damn you lower IQ people! He is a SPORTS psychologist! Geez folks...

Good God give it up will you.  He gave his opinion on fan support.  And you keep going on and on about his job and education level.  Remember your constant comments of “lighten up it’s just a message board I’m just here to have fun”... then have fun but stop the piling on crap.  

Either that or once you get finished cleaning the Dr’s gutters maybe y’all can set down and have a discussion about it

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Good God give it up will you.  He gave his opinion on fan support.  And you keep going on and on about his job and education level.  Remember your constant comments of “lighten up it’s just a message board I’m just here to have fun”... then have fun but stop the piling on crap.  

Either that or once you get finished cleaning the Dr’s gutters maybe y’all can set down and have a discussion about it

Shut up...and put me on ignore please. 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Jerraud powers, ladarious Owens, trovon Reed....now you name the people that love him...."coach"

I’m talking current players that was the context 

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I was having fun. Fun with a pompous arse who was making pompous statements like”you people just don’t understand human behavior “ ...this isn’t Masterpiece Theater. We don’t need the good doctor scientist rocket astronaut guy lecturing us. We have you for that. 

1 minute ago, OnthePlains said:

I was having fun. Fun with a pompous arse who was making pompous statements like”you people just don’t understand human behavior “ ...this isn’t Masterpiece Theater. We don’t need the good doctor scientist rocket astronaut guy lecturing us. We have you for that. 

I don’t lecture anyone about how they should feel just have a different opinion then some on here.  

If he’s qualified to speak on human behavior let him have his say, disagree with him, stand by your opinion but the attack of character of someone not directing their comments specifically towards you is kind of weird.  

This constant at each other’s throats for differing opinions have gone to far.  I’ve been guilty of it myself.  

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

I don’t lecture anyone about how they should feel just have a different opinion then some on here.  

If he’s qualified to speak on human behavior let him have his say, disagree with him, stand by your opinion but the attack of character of someone not directing their comments specifically towards you is kind of weird.  

This constant at each other’s throats for differing opinions have gone to far.  I’ve been guilty of it myself.  

Bro get out of here, he is the one that came in and start talking down to everybody. If you want to lecture somebody lecture him, but really you shouldn't be lecturing anybody

Just now, corchjay said:

I’m not attacking his character. But when you come on here and tell us you were one thing a few days ago, express opinions where you talk down to those with differing opinions and then when you’re called out on it now claim to be something else....I’m gonna call him out on that. If I said I thought Gus’s suits are bad he would suddenly become Ralph Lauren and tell us how ignorant we are of fashion. 

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

Bro get out of here, he is the one that came in and start talking down to everybody. If you want to lecture somebody lecture him, but really you shouldn't be lecturing anybody

Out of thanks but thanks 

15 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I’m talking current players that was the context 

It wasn't my context, and since I'm the one who said it......I named some. And of course nobody on the team with eligibility is going to say anything...that's stupid. So if that's your context what's the point?

We have GUS to thank for this whole thread. The gift that just keeps on giving. Have we figured out how to launch Gus to the moon yet? I been gone for a few hours.

2 minutes ago, cole256 said:

But it’s ok for you to lecture someone.  So if I was and I’m not lecturing how is it ok for you or anyone else to tell someone they should stop.  

I admit my faults.  As evidenced above but also made the comment we should all step back from the attacks on each other over a football game or football program.  There is only one person I’ll never get along with on this board.  Cole you and I are oil and water we will never agree on much and I can accept that and have tried to stay away from going after you.  Have reach out with info private for you lately to try to foster some good will.  A way of a “truce”.  But I’m ok with going back and forth it’s no big deal.  It’s fun and good banter.  

This is an odd place. It is like the 2010 Clemson game, where we won on a fluke.

There were positives. The team did not give up.

There were negatives. The OL continues to perform at a FCS level. Both Kaleb Kim and Nick Brahms are 4-star recruits. Neither has performed anywhere near their expectations. Kim is a Redshirt Junior. He has been at AU for four years, under two different OL coaches, and has not developed into what was expected. Brahms is a Redshirt Freshman, and may get better with experience. Austin Troxell, like Brahms, is a Redshirt Freshman. Mike Horton has also under-performed this year.

The OL issues have cascaded to impact the entire offense.

The simple truth is we were not that good this year. Washington was not that good this year. Wisconsin was not that good this year. Penn State was not that good this year. Miami was not that good this year. Stanford was not that good this year. USC, TCU, and Florida State were not that good this year.

The coaches know what we have, and what we don't have. They know what works, and what does not work. They know who the playmakers are. They should be able to build a game plan around those. We need to develop passing routes and pass protection schemes designed for quick passes given our limited protection. We need to run to the left, the strength of our line, not to the right, the weakness of our line.

It will likely not be enough to beat a UGA or Bama. But the coaches have to give the team a chance.

Archived