2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

6 hours ago, ArgoEagle said:

I just think those two would look like 2 rams having a head butting contest. Don't believe Gus would give him the freedom he would want.

Well look at it this way. If he doesn’t  give freedom in someone in Freeze he is good friends with and respects as a peer & an accomplished coach then there’s no one he will give freedom to so if Gus stays it’s worth a shot IMO.

Edited by ellitor
  • Like 2
  • Love 1

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Will look at it this way. If he doesn’t  give freedom in someone in Freeze he is good friends with and respects as a peer & an accomplished coach then there’s no one he will give freedom to so if Gus stays it’s worth a shot IMO.

If it didn't work out with HF, who, as you said, is a very accomplished offensive coach, it would shine a gigantic spotlight on whom is at fault...both then and in previous campaigns.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Will look at it this way. If he doesn’t  give freedom in someone in Freeze he is good friends with and respects as a peer & an accomplished coach then there’s no one he will give freedom to so if Gus stays it’s worth a shot IMO.

Agree, if he stays...…..

Short of a total meltdown, Gus will be here next year but will have to make an OC change. In that scenario I could see Hugh Freeze assuming he could get compliance and AD buy in.

Freeze would definitely get a lot out of Jarrett, who SHOULD return if we had Freeze, and the receivers we have. So long as he recruits better RB than what OM usually had (iirc they were usually undersized).

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Freeze would definitely get a lot out of Jarrett, who SHOULD return if we had Freeze, and the receivers we have. So long as he recruits better RB than what OM usually had (iirc they were usually undersized).

I get what you are saying that JS SHOULD return but I think some warm places would freeze first....  Get what I did there?

Seriously, there is no way JS returns next year.  He is losing money every snap he takes.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

31 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I get what you are saying that JS SHOULD return but I think some warm places would freeze first....  Get what I did there?

Seriously, there is no way JS returns next year.  He is losing money every snap he takes.

Yeah, I think it’s a weak qb class too. If I’m an NFL team in need of a qb I’d look for a veteran and maybe draft Grier in mid-round if possible.

I do think we beat A&M and Liberty and look competitive against Georgia. Meaning Gus likely stays. Freeze could save his career here but next year could be a flaming hot seat. 

1 minute ago, Zeek said:

Yeah, I think it’s a weak qb class too. If I’m an NFL team in need of a qb I’d look for a veteran and maybe draft Grier in mid-round if possible.

I do think we beat A&M and Liberty and look competitive against Georgia. Meaning Gus likely stays. Freeze could save his career here but next year could be a flaming hot seat. 

Agreed.  And I do believe HF coming in for a year or 2 would save CGM "legacy".  Especially if we got lucky (METAPHORICALLY SPEAKING!!!!) and CNS got hit by a bus or something.

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Also this week you will see the difference in a really good coach in Jimbo ANNNNNNNNNND GUS look like. I do not see us beating A and M. I keep seeing people think we will be competitive against georgia?! IN WHAT WORLD?! It will look like the 2014 game. WE. CANNOT. WIN. IN RED STICK. OR. Sanford Stadium.............If anyone but Bo Nix is the QB next year it will not matter if Freeze is the OC. Malik, Joey G and Cord just are not the naturally gifted passers that Freeze would need to excel in a pass first Hugh Freeze offense. Plus that OL is still booty. Whoever is back there will be running for their life. 

Edited by GwillMac6

1 hour ago, provibe said:

Do you not think that Saban will have a say about HF coming here after he was not allowed to hire him? Asking for a friend!

Tell your shy friend that Saban won't have any say in the matter but the SEC office will.

40 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Saban won't have any say in the matter but the SEC office will.

So you're saying there's a difference?  I'm confused.

3 hours ago, provibe said:

Do you not think that Saban will have a say about HF coming here after he was not allowed to hire him? Asking for a friend!

Didn't know Saban tried to hire Freeze & it be blocked by the SEC. I have no clue if the SEC would block a Freeze to OC & will not venture to guess since it's not an area I'm familiar with & Didn't have any prior knowledge of what you just mentioned. I will wait for people that have connections to chime in.

The question is better suited for the regular football forum anyway so let's stay focused on recruiting here in the recruiting forum.

Edited by ellitor

Okay....to my dismay, Gus will probably be here next year. I do not want to become Miss State but we probably need to scour the Juco ranks for some key positions, specifically OL. We need immediate help and I don't see it on our roster. May not hurt to pick up a LB or two as well. Lord knows we have room on our commit list at this point.

After todays win, it now looks like Auburn and Malzahn could be headed for another 8-4 for the season. If that happens, that will Gus Malzahn's 3rd 8 win season during his 6 years as Auburn's head coach. I for one would like to see a better record coming from a head coach who's getting paid 49 million plus a crazy buyout.

• Thanks 2

We are actually lucky to be looking at 7 wins during the regular season.  8 would really make me more mad about LSU, MSU and TN and what could have been.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, Apraser99 said:

Okay....to my dismay, Gus will probably be here next year. I do not want to become Miss State but we probably need to scour the Juco ranks for some key positions, specifically OL. We need immediate help and I don't see it on our roster. May not hurt to pick up a LB or two as well. Lord knows we have room on our commit list at this point.

FWIW Juco has a high miss rate. Your better bet is the transfer or grad transfer market. That being said AU is looking at 1 juco OL & 1 juco LB right now.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, ellitor said:

FWIW Juco has a high miss rate. Your better bet is the transfer or grad transfer market. That being said AU is looking at 1 juco OL & 1 juco LB right now.

Does anyone have any info on Ben Davis? I would imagine that he has to be pretty frustrated as a former 5* sitting at the bottom of UAT’s depth chart. I would to love to get him if he ever decided to transfer from UAT. 

3 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

Does anyone have any info on Ben Davis? I would imagine that he has to be pretty frustrated as a former 5* sitting at the bottom of UAT’s depth chart. I would to love to get him if he ever decided to transfer from UAT. 

Haven't heard a thing about him other than the guys on the 3 Man Front radio show has implied BD has breated his own issues at Bama.

FWIW I think there are 4 commits right now to monitor. This does not mean impending decommitment. Just that it's a possibility...

Pappoe-visited UT
Pickens-Visited LSU
Handy-Really nice to see he made it up from Mississippi for an early game.
Gordon-Really nice to see he made it up from Mississippi for an early game.

Edited by ellitor

9 hours ago, ellitor said:

FWIW I think there are 4 commits right now to monitor. This does not mean impending decommitment. Just that it's a possibility...

Pappoe-visited UT
Pickens-Visited LSU
Handy-Really nice to see he made it up from Mississippi for an early game.
Gordon-Really nice to see he made it up from Mississippi for an early game.

I thought I saw on twitter that Pickens met OBJ at LSU. Did he visit UAT on the way home?

Edited by ellitor

4 hours ago, CameronCrazy said:

I thought I saw on twitter that Pickens met OBJ at LSU. Did he visit UAT on the way home?

Forgot it was an LSU home game. lol