2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

4 hours ago, AubFanCT said:

A CB for OP to Tennessee came up today from Demtric Warren. Hope it doesn't mean much on the heels of OP's visit to Tennessee 

From Demetric Warren who is not that good of a picker & doesn't cover either team. I'd wait for a pick from an AU or UT writer.

FWIW AU staff feels confident Pappoe sticks as long as the D staff stays in place, particularly T-Will & Steele.

• Like 1

Not to sound like a broken record for the last few years but I am... sorry. Any news on us getting in on some highly sought after OL? Any new offers to OL? I know it is late in the game. I am just hoping for a miracle. 

21 hours ago, ellitor said:

FWIW AU staff feels confident Pappoe sticks as long as the D staff stays in place, particularly T-Will & Steele.

Since Gus won the A&M game he is probably safe for at least one more year. I could see him making coaching changes but not on the D side which has been pretty solid since Steele arrived.  Which makes me believe we keep OP. I think changes will be on O side staring with OC. If it is Hugh Freeze I believe we keep all of our O commits also.

As far as the D goes, it is not about being fired as it is being able to retain the staff IMO. No inside knowledge but I wonder if Steele has been a bit aggravated with how the offense constantly puts the Defense in an unfavorable spot with Gus. For the most part the defense has answered the bell.  Travis will surely be sought after at the conclusion of this year as well.  I hope we can keep them all.  Auburn defense has been fun again to watch. 

Edited by AUBwins
Still think CKS would rather retire at Auburn
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, gr82b4au said:

Any news on us getting in on some highly sought after OL?

Other than Will Putnam as an OG target nope, & likely won't change this cycle either.

Any new offers to OL?

OK. The Gif that just popped up is too funny.

I am just hoping for a miracle. 

Likely won't come on the OL til we have a good recruiter there.

59 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

Since Gus won the A&M game he is probably safe for at least one more year.

If UGA & Bama both blow our doors off all bets on that are off.

With regards to Kevin Steele, I seriously think folks are blowing things out of proportion. For one, it is widely known that Steele wants to retire on in the state of Alabama where he's not a few years (give or take) from being vested. Secondly, Steele is paid quite well for his role as Defensive coordinator. Thirdly, Steele has a good bit of autonomy on his side of the ball and while it frustrating (to no end) that the offense has been so poor this year, I'd be willing to bet that Steele is probably a much more patient man than we as fans are, particularly given his experience.

I'm quite confident that Kevin Steele isn't going anywhere so long as Gus is around. And for that matter I would imagine even a new head coach would be crazy not to retain Steele...

By the transitive property I think our defensive position coaches are also safe, barring poaching of course. So I have hope with a good bit of confidence that our defensive recruits would remain committed.

And to briefly touch on Pappoe... I understand that these are 17-18 year old kids and that seems to be a particularly fickle age group, but for someone like Pappoe who has invested so much into the future of the Auburn program, I for one would have a hard time believing it but moreso I would be incredibly suspicious of foul play. And we all know where Jeremy Pruitt learned to recruit 🙄

3 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

With regards to Kevin Steele, I seriously think folks are blowing things out of proportion. For one, it is widely known that Steele wants to retire on in the state of Alabama where he's not a few years (give or take) from being vested. Secondly, Steele is paid quite well for his role as Defensive coordinator. Thirdly, Steele has a good bit of autonomy on his side of the ball and while it frustrating (to no end) that the offense has been so poor this year, I'd be willing to bet that Steele is probably a much more patient man than we as fans are, particularly given his experience.

All that is good but doesn't matter if Gus is let go. If Gus is let go then every coach's future is up in the air. Sure we all would like the D staff back but there's no guarantee that will happen.

And for that matter I would imagine even a new head coach would be crazy not to retain Steele... 

Completely up in the air & we have no way of knowing until we have to come to that bridge.

By the transitive property I think our defensive position coaches are also safe

Nope. Some coach like bringing in their own people they know.

So I have hope with a good bit of confidence that our defensive recruits would remain committed.

Only if the D staff remains intact.

And we all know where Jeremy Pruitt learned to recruit

Yep. Rush Propst then on to Saban.

Glad to read that Green is all in with Gus for the foreseeable future!

• Like 1
  • Angry 1

57 minutes ago, toddc said:

why on earth?

• Thanks 1

1 minute ago, ChltteTiger said:

why on earth?

This HAS to be war blogle. These are the type of fans who wanted chizik retained in 2012............. These are the type of fans who have been holding back the program for decades with this kind of attitude and mindset.

Edited by GwillMac6

Recruits react to the news about Gus Malzahn’s status

By Keith Niebuhr

Auburn Athletics director Allen Greene said Tuesday that Tigers football coach Gus Malzahn would coach the team in 2019 while speaking with Auburn Undercover's Brandon Marcello.

For Auburn recruiting, that is a significant development. That's because negative chatter about a coach's job status can be a big hurdle on the recruiting trail.

How did recruits react to this news? We've reached out to the Auburn commits and targets and here are some notable responses (we'll add more reactions as they come in):

-4-star offensive line target William Putnam, Tampa (Fla.) Plant: "I’ve always liked Coach Malzahn. He's a good coach but I think he’s even a better person. Good news to me."

-Stacy Hall, mother of 4-star buck linebacker target Derick Hall, Gulfport (Miss.): "That is awesome. Derick and Coach Malzahn have developed a great relationship through this recruiting process and it mans a lot to both of us to have the same coach recruit him and have Derick play for that coach. This is awesome news for us. I think with the recruits they have coming in and the expertise that Coach Mal and his staff brings they are setting themselves up for winning seasons years to come."

-4-star defensive end commit Jaren Handy, Hattiesburg (Miss.): "Happy. I'm not going to lie. I he leaves, I leave."

-4-star cornerback commit Zion Puckett, Griffin (Ga.) Spalding: "I wasn’t ever worried. Coach told me he wasn’t going anywhere while I was at Auburn."

-3-star tight end commit Luke Deal, Greenwood (S.C.) Emerald: "Man I'm so happy. He played a crucial role in my recruitment and I know he will lead us in the right direction when I get there!!"

-3-star defensive end Colby Wooden, Lawrenceville (Ga.) Archer: "A sigh of relief."

Edited by ellitor
Added link & quoted article.
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, toddc said:

It may be but I wouldn't assume it's done yet. As WDE said, when being peppered questions today by AU beat writers AD Green said what he had to say for now.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

What has to war blogle?

todds comment above.

Just now, ellitor said:

You mean like he hacked Tod? Sorry. I'm slow today.

meaning that HAS to be war blogles account here haha. NO ONE is that positive about gus malzahn besides war blogle......

Just now, GwillMac6 said:

meaning that HAS to be war blogles account here haha. NO ONE is that positive about gus malzahn besides war blogle......

And a certain poster that rhymes with likey.

• Haha 3

Just now, ellitor said:

And a certain poster that rhymes with likey.

touche!

19 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

This HAS to be war blogle. These are the type of fans who wanted chizik retained in 2012............. These are the type of fans who have been holding back the program for decades with this kind of attitude and mindset.

Nope, Just Todd! I still believe CGM is gonna be what’s best for Auburn. I think if he gets the right offensive coordinator (like Steele on defense) that he can take this program to a great team and program. Sorry if y’all hate that thought but it’s my opinion and I’m sticking to it.

• Like 2

19 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Nope! I wanted cgc gone.