2019 Recruiting Thread

Zeek

Posted this in another thread- kentucky (yep) has recruited 19 OL mostly tackles from 2014 class forward- auburn has recruited 13.  We need numbers. We need some competition for OL positions. How many OL will we take this year? 

40 minutes ago, Auhud08 said:

Posted this in another thread- kentucky (yep) has recruited 19 OL mostly tackles from 2014 class forward- auburn has recruited 13.  We need numbers. We need some competition for OL positions. How many OL will we take this year? 

Last year we took 2 and this year we have 2...of those 4, 1 is an OT

17 hours ago, Mikey said:

I'm not sure there were any visitors. Havan't seen any remarks, either pre or post game.

Just for info we always will have visitors even if we played Sisters of the poor

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

Your numbers on Auburn are off. It’s at least 15 for Auburn since 2014 since we started this year with at least 15 scholarship OL. And the plan is 4 to 5 in this class as shown in the original post of the thread.

I went back and checked. We enrolled 16 OLs from high school or juco in that timeframe. We also brought in at least three grad transfers so that’s a total of at least 19 in that time frame. I just remembered Darius James transferring in so that’s 20.

Edited by ellitor

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Your numbers on Auburn are off. It’s at least 15 for Auburn since 2014 since we started this year with at least 15 scholarship OL. And the plan is 4 to 5 in this class as shown in the original post of the thread.

I went back and checked. We enrolled 16 OLs from high school or juco in that timeframe. We also brought in at least three grad transfers so that’s a total of at least 19 in that time frame. I just remembered Darius James transferring in so that’s 20.

The problem with this is that we haven't recruited at the same talent level on the O-line as of late. On top of which, while the jucos and GTs were good stop-gaps, they hurt our long-term depth.

1 hour ago, sevenlee36 said:

Why didn’t we sign any offensive linemen last year?

Herb left and took his built up recruiting relationships with him.

2 hours ago, ellitor said:

Hmm, thanks E. I mustve missed some on 247 when i looked

4 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Why didn’t we sign any offensive linemen last year?

2018 Class had 2 OL's: OG Jalil Irvin and OT Kameron Stutts. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, afblue said:

Are they SEC caliber linemen? Are quality backups? Seems we have quality backups but no SEC caliber starters.

• Like 1

Most true Freshman are not ready to be SEC starters. Jalil Irvin was highly thought of and should become an SEC starter. Stutts has potential it just depends on how he develops. Look at our current O-Line everybody thought that Ashley was a can't miss might even be a Freshman starter he may still develop then our Grad transfer Driscoll was not rated highly out of HS but has been ok as an SEC starter. O-Line is one of the hardest positions to evaluate as there are so many intangibles.

Even if Grimes pulls off a miracle class this year they won't help us for 2 years. The key is to develop who we currently have for next year and that includes Irvin and Stutts.

• Like 2

Don’t know sl36.  Just passing along that we had a couple of OL signees for the 2018 class.  My impression was that you thought we didn’t have any.  I think Driscoll technically is part of the 2018 class at a GT, but I may have that wrong.  I’m sure the staff sees potential in these guys or they wouldn’t be on the roster.  Time will tell.

Edited by afblue
Use a more accurate term

12 hours ago, War to the Eagle said:

The problem with this is that we haven't recruited at the same talent level on the O-line as of late. On top of which, while the jucos and GTs were good stop-gaps, they hurt our long-term depth.

All valid points. Hand left us hurting in recruitment & development.

• Love 1

12 hours ago, Auhud08 said:

Hmm, thanks E. I mustve missed some on 247 when i looked

I looked beyond 247 as mentioned via transfers plus 2 guys listed by the services as DL recruits who are OLs.

• Thanks 1

9 hours ago, afblue said:

3. Those 2 plus Driscoll.

On 9/30/2018 at 7:58 PM, War to the Eagle said:

Seriously? No news? I know the game wasn't the best, but it's not the end of the world. 

There's news but most of it is VIP & is mainly on a few 2020 kids.

22 hours ago, LKEEL75 said:

There were definitely visitors there.  I was at tiger walk near the entrance and there were a ton of kids with recruiting badges.  Plus the recruit seating was full (before the rain anyway).

FWIW most of them weren't high priority targets given the nature of the opponent.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Just for info we always will have visitors even if we played Sisters of the poor

Hey noooow...Why you bringing Bird's family in this?

Edited by ellitor
  • Haha 1

47 minutes ago, ellitor said:

FWIW most of them weren't high priority targets given the nature of the opponent.

I didn't assume there were many high profile ones there since no threads were being made.  I was just saying that there were definitely recruits there.

19 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Isn't that your alma mater Golf?

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1