Faciilities Threads (Merged)

GwillMac6

Just now, DAG said:

What I don’t understand is why Gus has to be tied into the Auburn football only facility . The football only facility is for the benefit of the football program and it’s progress can continue with or without Gus.

My guess would be leverage. They want Gus out, so they keep the checkbook closed until he's gone. 

Are they cutting off the nose to spite the face? Perhaps. But it's not entirely illogical IMO.

Also, that might answer the "when" question, but I agree that one would think we'd have a general idea of the "how" and "what" by now. That shouldn't have anything to do with Gus. Unless they offered something up and he shot it down. I feel like I heard somebody say that he wants to design the damn thing himself. Which would sound crazy if we were talking about just about any other coach. 

• Replies 494
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

My guess would be leverage. They want Gus out, so they keep the checkbook closed until he's gone. 

Are they cutting off the nose to spite the face? Perhaps. But it's not entirely illogical IMO.

Also, that might answer the "when" question, but I agree that one would think we'd have a general idea of the "how" and "what" by now. That shouldn't have anything to do with Gus. Unless they offered something up and he shot it down. I feel like I heard somebody say that he wants to design the damn thing himself. Which would sound crazy if we were talking about just about any other coach. 

I have a sneaking suspicion almost no matter who the coach would be outside of a rockstar head coach they would be making the same excuses. They are always looking to keep kicking the can down the road. We have been doing this same song and dance for several years now when it comes to major upgrades to Jordan Hare and to building a Football only facility.

6 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

I have a sneaking suspicion almost no matter who the coach would be outside of a rockstar head coach they would be making the same excuses. They are always looking to keep kicking the can down the road. We have been doing this same song and dance for several years now when it comes to major upgrades to Jordan Hare and to building a Football only facility.

You nailed it. Gus wasn't the coach the last 25 years while we waited on those "master plan stadium improvements." No current coach or W-L record has anything to do with the FOF. Short term thinking vs long term capital improvement decisions.

15 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

Interesting points.

It feels like maybe there has been a tectonic shift in the mindset with the hire of ADG. Like, JJ seemed like the apotheosis of JABA, and ADG seems like the opposite of that. But maybe it's just window dressing.

17 hours ago, GwillMac6 said:

At least there is one thing that we do know. We are 100% sure that we are 0% sure we know when we will move forward. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Interesting points.

It feels like maybe there has been a tectonic shift in the mindset with the hire of ADG. Like, JJ seemed like the apotheosis of JABA, and ADG seems like the opposite of that. But maybe it's just window dressing.

Allen Greene being an idea guy is kind of moot when the president and the board don't care enough to vote on the project that he's been raising money for. If there's no progress by the end of the year and Leath keeps stonewalling Greene I could see Greene getting fed up and wanting out.

1 hour ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Allen Greene being an idea guy is kind of moot when the president and the board don't care enough to vote on the project that he's been raising money for. If there's no progress by the end of the year and Leath keeps stonewalling Greene I could see Greene getting fed up and wanting out.

Leath has shown he is on self preservation mode. People, point has been made but, are still waiting to see what Gus is going to do this year and see what Leath does. Its a damn stupid mess. Bringing this to a vote and then getting a no would be a huge negative blow. So they won't vote on this yet. As far as Greene wanting out? No where near that point yet. 2019 football season is going to haunt AU for years. People are still pissed off. It's unreal.

What's crazy is that after Amen Corner in 2017 with Gus being locked in for what seemed like the forseeable future he felt comfortable enough to donate all that money and we felt comfortable enough giving him design input.

Then we realized Amen Corner '17 Gus was a fraud and now everyone is so scared to do anything because Gus sharted himself so bad last season. Just get rid of Gus ASAP so our program can actually move forward. I know some think he deserves further chance but just look at this situation we are in now. New blood would galvanize the fan base and donors would see that at least we want to make things better which would help the program as a whole move forward. Right now we are stuck. Sheeesh

2 minutes ago, Tiger said:

New blood would galvanize the fan base and donors would see that at least we want to make things better

Maybe Gus deserves more time. Maybe whoever we hire next won't be as good. But what Tiger is saying here is pretty much bulletproof. 

34 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Leath has shown he is on self preservation mode. People, point has been made but, are still waiting to see what Gus is going to do this year and see what Leath does. Its a damn stupid mess. Bringing this to a vote and then getting a no would be a huge negative blow. So they won't vote on this yet. As far as Greene wanting out? No where near that point yet. 2019 football season is going to haunt AU for years. People are still pissed off. It's unreal.

Can you elaborate on this?

43 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

How often do you see our head football coach, AD, and President in self-pres mode...it seems like a yearly event on the Plains.  Allen's not there yet, but he's stuck in the middle between a coach and president who are...and a bunch of money men all doing their own thing.

Just now, AUDevil said:

How often do you see our head football coach, AD, and President in self-pres mode...it seems like a yearly event on the Plains.  Allen's not there yet, but he's stuck in the middle between a coach and president who are...and a bunch of money men all doing their own thing.

Lot of truth to this.

12 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Top 10 preseason team full of top 10 talent with all the return pieces in place. Lose to a inept UT at JHS. Awful year and that has folks pissed off. Most I've ever seen people mad.

16 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Top 10 preseason team full of top 10 talent with all the return pieces in place. Lose to a inept UT at JHS. Awful year and that has folks pissed off. Most I've ever seen people mad.

WDE typed 2019 but meant 2018.

35 minutes ago, Tiger said:

What's crazy is that after Amen Corner in 2017 with Gus being locked in for what seemed like the forseeable future he felt comfortable enough to donate all that money and we felt comfortable enough giving him design input.

Then we realized Amen Corner '17 Gus was a fraud and now everyone is so scared to do anything because Gus sharted himself so bad last season. Just get rid of Gus ASAP so our program can actually move forward. I know some think he deserves further chance but just look at this situation we are in now. New blood would galvanize the fan base and donors would see that at least we want to make things better which would help the program as a whole move forward. Right now we are stuck. Sheeesh

That never happened. He wanted full control on the design. He was turned down and denied. Not saying he won't have no input but it's going to be very limited. VERY. Publicly people will say different but in reality he will have pretty much none. He's the reson people are not giving money, you think they want him designing it when they do?

8 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

That never happened. He wanted full control on the design. He was turned down and denied. Not saying he won't have no input but it's going to be very limited. VERY. Publicly people will say different but in reality he will have pretty much none. He's the reson people are not giving money, you think they want him designing it when they do?

What's the feeling with the money people if 2019 is another dud? Are we going to be stuck in purgatory until the buyout gets lower or do they pony up a big wad of cash and we move on? 

4 minutes ago, WalkingCarpet said:

What's the feeling with the money people if 2019 is another dud? Are we going to be stuck in purgatory until the buyout gets lower or do they pony up a big wad of cash and we move on? 

If 2019 is a dud, we have a new coach and may be looking for a new president. Buyout isn't a problem. Never has been. Don't get me wrong here, it's a huge problem. Just not because the money isn't there.

11 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

If 2019 is a dud, we have a new coach and may be looking for a new president. Buyout isn't a problem. Never has been. Don't get me wrong here, it's a huge problem. Just not because the money isn't there.

Dud seems to be very subjective 

26 minutes ago, DAG said:

Dud seems to be very subjective 

Would you consider 8 total wins as appropriate for the dud category?

5 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Would you consider 8 total wins as appropriate for the dud category?

Yes I am one of the fans who think it is doable to win 9 games a year . Every once in a while I get having down years but these consistent 8 win seasons with sprinkled in superb years won’t cut it. Especially when our rivals are going strong it seems..

3 minutes ago, DAG said:

Yes I am one of the fans who think it is doable to win 9 games a year . Every once in a while I get having down years but these consistent 8 win seasons with sprinkled in superb years won’t cut it. Especially when our rivals are going strong it seems..

I'm with you. I say 8 wins should be considered a dud. It should not happen often. Unfortunately Gus has brought us to a place where 8 wins is the norm.

A long time ago, it seems like getting 8 wins would be enough to keep you from getting fired here. However, we are now a program that competes for, and recruits with eye on SEC championships and CFP births. 2010 started a new era for Auburn football and it's a shame that there are still some stragglers in our fanbase that can't keep their expectations up with the new chapter of the program.

A program with 2 national title births and winning one should never be letting their coach get away with multiple 8 wins (or less) seasons in their tenure. And most certainly not one with the pay that Gus is pulling in. 

IMO, he has to beat 2 of 4 between TAMU, LSU, UA, and UGA and in the other two there has to be a competent and cohesive game plan ending in close losses. That said, our first 6 could be 2-4 and if so, he wouldn't be here for game 7

18 minutes ago, bigbird said:

IMO, he has to beat 2 of 4 between TAMU, LSU, UA, and UGA and in the other two there has to be a competent and cohesive game plan ending in close losses. 

That's the thing with Gus.

We can take losses. We understand there is a game being played and we won't win every game. But holy shoots and ladders why do we look like we forgot we had a game on Saturday most of the time when we lose? Eliminate those things that football novices, like myself, know should never happen like how plays can be called from our couch etc and it will go a long way in Gus getting some leeway with the fans.

Also, not going .500 against Mississippi State over 6 bleeping years would be a good start

Winning cures all.  10 wins or bust for me.  I think a lot of teams are overhyped due to their coaches.  In the end LSU, UGA, and Bama will decide this season.  Florida and TaMu are replacing a lot of pieces, Bama is replacing its entire coaching staff, UGA new coordinators as well and 1 injured Fromm away from trouble.  If Auburn can be in the Championship convo till Amen Corner than I’d say Auburn and Gus will be getting some new facilities.

Archived