North Carolina Scouting Report

abw0004

I thought it would be a good thread to start the week with a scouting report from those who follow college basketball closer than I do.  Like our team, let's make sure we, as fans, are prepared on what to look for (match-ups, strengths, weaknesses, etc.).  So I am calling on @cole256, @bigbird, @Gene Loblaw and anyone else that might have a good knowledge.

D2ZTV-bVAAAWo5k.jpg

John Hancock (002).jpg

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

They are good, real good! There you go.

1 minute ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

So are we!

The op asked for scouting report on unc. I agree though, we are good, really good!

@JwgreDeux your thoughts? You had a very nice statistical breakdown prior to the Kansas game showing where we could exploit them and it came to fruition. Are you Stat Tiger's evil twin that focuses on bball??

They are big, long, and play fast. I like that they play fast because it will allow us to play our game but we will likely get dominated on the glass so we NEED to stay hot from 3. I also think this is the moment we have been bringing Wiley along slowly for. We are going to need him to give us good minutes. We also need Mac to be on from 3 to pull Maye away from the bucket but they're big and long elsewhere and they play smart ball while playing at a fast pace.

There aren't many freshman PGs as savvy as Coby White but here's to hoping our veteran guards are able to fluster him and make him play like a freshman for once. He is good and both our guards will be outsized big time against him as he's a 6'5 PG which is an awful matchup for us so we are going to have to be on from outside to counter this.

Also we absolutely have to get back on D

UNC has tbe athletes, the rebounding, the defense, and the experience to make it to the NC game. Just wondering, does extra game prep help or hurt us? It’s not like they’re going to be on Spring Break until Friday. 

Full court pressure without fouling will help us. Need to get the ball out of Coby White’s hands early in the shot clock

Two keys:

3 Pointers:  I think we will have to have one of our best games ever of shooting 3's to stay in this b/c they will win the rebound battle, thus extra chances.

Turnovers:  we have to create TO to stay in the game

Play for a tight game and hope the 'Fighting Pearls' can win a close game at the buzzer.  

UNC isn't especially good at defending the perimeter.  We have to take advantage of that.  One thing I'm not worried about is pace.  Typically UNC likes to run everyone out of the gym, but we go 10 deep and play that way all the time, so no concerns there from me.

Washington was able to force UNC into 15 turnovers, but didn’t seem to be able to make them count on the other end. They also had 12 of their own. If we can make turnovers count, and limit our own, we’ve got a shot

I've watched UNC play quite a bit this year -- against Duke, Louisville, Virginia, Kentucky, Gonzaga, etc.

And if you watched the UNC vs Washington game, you saw what they do. They love to play in transition, just like Auburn. They rebound well, unlike Auburn. They are fast and athletic, just like Auburn ------ except bigger.

Their guards are much bigger than Auburn's, and as always UNC is stocked with a lot of NBA prospects. They don't really have an imposing big man in the middle. They usually play all guards and forwards, kinda like Auburn when Wiley isn't in there. Problem is, they are all scoring machines. Cameron Johnson, Coby White and Luke Maye are all good at creating shots and extremely accurate shooting from the floor. Any one of the three can take over the game and score loads of points. Those three are kinda like Auburn's Bryce Brown/Jared Harper combo, except there are 3 of them. And Nassir Little comes off the bench and tears it up. 

Cameron Johnson shoots 55% from the floor, 46% from 3
Coby White shoots 45% from the floor, 38.5% from 3
Luke Maye shoots 48% from the floor, 38% from 3
Nissir Little was inconsistent during the year, but has been very good during tournament play

1 hour ago, Tiger said:

They are big, long, and play fast. I like that they play fast because it will allow us to play our game but we will likely get dominated on the glass so we NEED to stay hot from 3.

That actually worries me a little.  Because it causes our bigs to make dumb fouls.  We have a tendency to get into early foul trouble, and if we do that they will swarm.  Need to stay loose.

Just now, abw0004 said:

That actually worries me a little.  Because it causes our bigs to make dumb fouls.  We have a tendency to get into early foul trouble, and if we do that they will swarm.  Need to stay loose.

Yup. I think we are really going to need Wiley this game. For his size on the glass at the very least and just another 5 fouls. I really hope we can somehow get Coby White to get in some foul trouble early because I think he will be a problem for us. He's taller than our starting PG, SG, and SF. Yikes.

But hey, I'd rather us play a team that plays a style that fits into what we like to do. So those painful half-court sets will most likely be far and few between. I can't see Roy wanting to slow it down although they're more equipped and force you to guard them in half court sets better than we do. If we can shoot we can keep it close and hopefully hit some clutch shots down the stretch. What I like is that if it's close we won't have to be surgical in the half court to make the right plays but be running up and down and trying to create havoc.

I hope the refs don't try to be the stars and let both these teams play in the style they want

We'll have to play like we did against Tennessee in the title game and Kansas in the first half. Be lights out from 3 and play unrelenting defense. Front the big mans down low and hope we can keep them from throwing over the top. Everyone off the ball get in passing lanes and have active hands. Constant pressure on the ball and be ok if they get around us a few times for some easy layups. If they are a little off shooting the ball that would be great. But i fully believe our best game can be stacked up against their best game so i don't want it to sounds like they have to have an off night. Just be cool if they did.....also i hope they look at our roster and see Auburn on the uniform and underestimate us. Not likely with our 10 game winning streak but maybe. We have a lot of blue pelts to collect if we wanna make the title game. 

walkermiller.jpg

My scouting report says that Walker Miller looks a lot like...

bradthemiddle.jpg

Brad, the in-the-closet boyfriend of Sue Heck in the show "The Middle"

So, basically what I'm hearing is that UNC plays a lot like Auburn, they are just bigger and do it with 5* talent.  This is what happens when you show up for big boy ball!  We're up against the best of the best now!  If we somehow make it past UNC, Duke will most likely be there waiting on us, then UVA/TN, then probably the Zags.  I don't like our chances, but I love that we're in the conversation!!!

6 minutes ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

So, basically what I'm hearing is that UNC plays a lot like Auburn, they are just bigger and do it with 5* talent.  This is what happens when you show up for big boy ball!  We're up against the best of the best now!  If we somehow make it past UNC, Duke will most likely be there waiting on us, then UVA/TN, then probably the Zags.  I don't like our chances, but I love that we're in the conversation!!!

I love the idea of beating Kansas, UNC, Kentucky, Virginia, and Duke on our way to claiming the title. I know its not likely but man that is one hell of a gauntlet

5 minutes ago, tigers23 said:

If we beat UNC, it will more than likely be Kentucky, not Duke

Would love to see the crumbling of mount Zion

He's becoming Tebow like. I dislike Zion not because of his character and abilities, but instead for the incessant coverage. The "Zion cam" think is a little much.

25 minutes ago, Zeek said:

Would love to see the crumbling of mount Zion

He's becoming Tebow like. I dislike Zion not because of his character and abilities, but instead for the incessant coverage. The "Zion cam" think is a little much.

Same. He seems like a good kid. But damn I'd sure love it if they stopped forcing him in our faces at every turn

I heard the announcers talking about this and I have to agree, you cannot show UNC the same defense every time down the floor, you have to 

swap it up, from man-to man, to different types of zones, but never show the same each time, even a box an one, a triangle and two, get inside their head, and make 

damn sure we box out on rebounds. 

and again shoot the lights out, get ahead and make them chase us! 

Archived