Coach Pearl Not Mincing Words...Again

Btiger1982

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
8 hours ago, ellitor said:

Another major part was he was a major Richard to everything & everyone while at AU. That took a heavy toll on the program. If you want details that it will have to come from someone else. That worthless SOB ain't worth the time nor energy researching & digging the deets up.

X1000

13 hours ago, Gene Loblaw said:

Some people claim that there was some handshake agreement between Barbee and Jay Jacobs before being given the job that AU compliance would help Barbee use his World Wide Wes connection. Then once he got the gig, AU told him Wes and the kids he influenced werent welcome around thr program. The whole thing apparently made Barbee quit before he even got started. But who knows. Still a total loser move if any of that is true

This makes all the sense in the world to me. Barbee came to Lee County trying to immediately build a team with Luke Cothran (was never gonna qualify, but Barbee thought AU would **winkwink** get him qualified), Shawn Kemp, Jr. (same deal) and Varez Ward, who turned out to be a point shaving fool.  Ward sat a year, but remember, Barbee just took over Lebo's leftovers. Lebo went to East Carolina and promptly went about .500 for his years there before just quitting basketball coaching altogether a year or 2 ago bc sucking at what you get paid to do kinda takes a toll.

20 minutes ago, tigeraddikt said:

This makes all the sense in the world to me. Barbee came to Lee County trying to immediately build a team with Luke Cothran (was never gonna qualify, but Barbee thought AU would **winkwink** get him qualified), Shawn Kemp, Jr. (same deal) and Varez Ward, who turned out to be a point shaving fool.  Ward sat a year, but remember, Barbee just took over Lebo's leftovers. Lebo went to East Carolina and promptly went about .500 for his years there before just quitting basketball coaching altogether a year or 2 ago bc sucking at what you get paid to do kinda takes a toll.

Even if GL's comment is 100% true...if they guy had any pride he would have quit, or just moved on and done the best he could.  …...he did neither and what little success we had was spoiled by VW's point shaving issues.   AU was fortunate not to get some kind of NCAA penalty out of that.

I'm amazed he found and has kept a coaching job ….a coaching charity case …..and I guess Calipari has some feelings for him based on their previous work together.

I heard that in practice he was pretty toxic...cursing out the players and cursing at any opportunity he could. I don't think the players liked playing for him either which is why we ended up with guys who were just desperate to play basketball in a power conference.

22 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

GraveJD was wrong so much I don’t even know if y’all are talking about the right person. 

Gets angry as hell if you disagree 😂

13 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Gets angry as hell if you disagree 😂

Lol only when someone toots their own horn so often we have to tell the kids to look the other way

2 hours ago, gravejd said:

Lol only when someone toots their own horn so often we have to tell the kids to look the other way

I was not being serious FWIW. Sorry if my delivery was off.

23 hours ago, ellitor said:

Another major part was he was a major Richard to everything & everyone while at AU. That took a heavy toll on the program. If you want details that it will have to come from someone else. That worthless SOB ain't worth the time nor energy researching & digging the deets up.

I had to think about that one for minute.  What the heck does that mean?  Being an old man, my Urbanese is lacking.  Then it hit me. LOL

3 hours ago, ellitor said:

I was not being serious FWIW. Sorry if my delivery was off.

You are not the horn tooter 

and no worries. Is was a post with badmistakes so I must take my medicine ;) 

6 hours ago, gravejd said:

Yeah I can see how watching someone post correct information on your favorite team could get under your skin!

21 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Who was barbee's best recruit he ever brought in?

He brought a few decient ones in. He just kicked some of his best players off fairly quickly. In terms of ratings his best were

Jordan Price
Shaq Johnson
Luke Cothron

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

Yeah I can see how watching someone post correct information on your favorite team could get under your skin!

I honestly don’t know how I managed to get by without you cole. It’s like I was lost but now I am found. I used to be so confused by the most basic ideas of sports. And then you came along to show me the way.....and then  show me how you showed me the way. Over and over and over and over and over and over again. 

But honestly I was out of line in calling you out for that part. You be you and enjoy yourself on here. I do give you props for scouting ability. If you say a player from north Alabama is good I believe you. 

And next time you get a bee in  your bonnet about an AU player like you did with Brown I’ll continue to try and be a bigger loud mouth then your are to support them. 

3 minutes ago, gravejd said:

And next time you get a bee in  your bonnet about an AU player like you did with Brown I’ll continue to try and be a bigger loud mouth then your are to support them. 

giphy.gif

Please relax gentlemen. Your both good people.

On 6/20/2019 at 9:39 AM, AUTigersfan89 said:

I heard that in practice he was pretty toxic...cursing out the players and cursing at any opportunity he could. I don't think the players liked playing for him either which is why we ended up with guys who were just desperate to play basketball in a power conference.

I remember his first season with the post-game obligatory interviews with Rod how refreshing it was that AU finally had a major sport head coach that didn't mince words and play the eternal sunshine pumping PC good guy, but rather named names and called out players publicly. Guess that was just the ice of the tipberg. I remember how he called out Rob Chubb for not being focused during a Hawaii Christmas tournament game in 2011, saying he was "out boogey boarding" instead of prepping for the game. I thought that was golden at the time, but I guess CTB didn't know when not to be a stiff Richard.

Just read Barbee's quotes in this article I dug up. And this was early in his tenure.

https://www.al.com/sports/2012/01/after_loss_to_vanderbilt_aubur.html

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Oh look a cute little alien baby how sweet

I'll take "Things Bird's parents said when he was born" for $500 Alex.

20 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I'll take "Things Bird's parents said when he was born" for $500 Alex.

tenor.gif

19 hours ago, cole256 said:

Who was barbee's best recruit he ever brought in?

whichever moving company he recruited to leave town

6 hours ago, gravejd said:

I honestly don’t know how I managed to get by without you cole. It’s like I was lost but now I am found. I used to be so confused by the most basic ideas of sports. And then you came along to show me the way.....and then  show me how you showed me the way. Over and over and over and over and over and over again. 

But honestly I was out of line in calling you out for that part. You be you and enjoy yourself on here. I do give you props for scouting ability. If you say a player from north Alabama is good I believe you. 

Bee in my bonnet? Oh you mean correctly evaluating a player. Lol yeah ok

21 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

I remember his first season with the post-game obligatory interviews with Rod how refreshing it was that AU finally had a major sport head coach that didn't mince words and play the eternal sunshine pumping PC good guy, but rather named names and called out players publicly. Guess that was just the ice of the tipberg. I remember how he called out Rob Chubb for not being focused during a Hawaii Christmas tournament game in 2011, saying he was "out boogey boarding" instead of prepping for the game. I thought that was golden at the time, but I guess CTB didn't know when not to be a stiff Richard.

Just read Barbee's quotes in this article I dug up. And this was early in his tenure.

https://www.al.com/sports/2012/01/after_loss_to_vanderbilt_aubur.html

150-91

Good gosh, we lost that badly to FSU???

Archived