Annual Alternate Uniform Debate

Gowebb11

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

There are a few issues with it IMO. One of those would be, if you can use Auburn players as a billboard for one cause then what else can you use them for? I think @DAG touched on that, also, unless I misinterpreted. Which I often do. 

This is correct. The fact of the matter is we have a majority of African-American players on this team. I am careful with putting words or emotions on anyone, but I know tension is high in my community in regards to displaced treatment and national values. With this in mind, it is better to not position our players in a situation where they may feel like they need to choose on a national landscape. 

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 7/7/2019 at 10:38 PM, Quietmaninthecorner said:

My opinion is that football is not a fashion show.   Pull on a  T shirt,  draw a number on it,  go out in the parking lot and play some ball.

All these teams with the fancy fashion uniforms are ridiculous.   Whats next  lipstick and blush?

;)

i agree but.................i would hate to miss out on any kids that want to play where they have some fun with uni's once a year or so. so if it is something that would help recruiting i am all for it. but when we did change like the orange jerseys best i can remember we got our behinds beat.

I think there's quite a bit we can do with alternate helmet logos to give fans the alternate look they want without really changing much about the uniform. For example, Mizzou broke out the "Sailor Tiger" logo (which is used by everyone from LSU to Mizzou and us) last year for these alternate helmets:

slack-imgs.jpg

There's no reason we couldn't use the same concept for a 1-game alternate with our version of "Sailor Aubie":

Auburn_Tiger_head_UA004.jpg or even with something like this: auburn-logo-png-10.png

For those of the Orange Jersey persuasion, we could emulate what our color-siblings Virginia did, which I don't think looks half bad:

5ae383ca9ad77.image.jpg

Change the stripes and the logos and boom- alternate created.

Alternatively, we could get our Chicago Bears on with a pair of navy pants for a non-stormtrooper away look:

chi-04-11-whiteblue-iconsmi-vert-620x930

Or a true "All Navy" game:

plzdfCv.jpg

43 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

I think there's quite a bit we can do with alternate helmet logos to give fans the alternate look they want without really changing much about the uniform. For example, Mizzou broke out the "Sailor Tiger" logo (which is used by everyone from LSU to Mizzou and us) last year for these alternate helmets:

There's no reason we couldn't use the same concept for a 1-game alternate with our version of "Sailor Aubie":

Auburn_Tiger_head_UA004.jpg or even with something like this: auburn-logo-png-10.png

I wish the school would use the Eagle A logo for more things since it's unique to us. Like five schools have a variant of the sailor tiger. 

3 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I wish the school would use the Eagle A logo for more things since it's unique to us. Like five schools have a variant of the sailor tiger. 

I like that image too but we have enough people incorrectly calling us the War Eagles. I think that would increase greatly using that one. 

3 hours ago, gr82be said:

I like that image too but we have enough people incorrectly calling us the War Eagles. I think that would increase greatly using that one. 

Who cares.....just own it. Bring out the feathered war bonnet and let's goooo!

Seriously, I do like the eagle and A look but also like the war feathers for real.

7 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

i agree but.................i would hate to miss out on any kids that want to play where they have some fun with uni's once a year or so. so if it is something that would help recruiting i am all for it. but when we did change like the orange jerseys best i can remember we got our behinds beat.

I see your point,  but.......   I don't want a  primadonna  kid that chooses his school because they have spiffy uniforms.   I want the hard working,  blue collar,  bust your ass players that get their self worth from their work ethic,  not the fashion world.    Flashy uniforms are not the only way to have fun.   :)

12 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

Who cares.....just own it.

One of the strongest developments in the fanbase has been reclaiming the word "barn". We've stolen so much piss from the turds by doing so. 

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

One of the strongest developments in the fanbase has been reclaiming the word "barn". We've stolen so much piss from the turds by doing so. 

I think we've gotten to the point where 80% of our fanbase just doesn't care what the knuckle draggers at al.com and TiderIncestor think and treat those sites as something to be laughed at rather than something to take seriously. Years ago there used to be MUCH MORE hand wringing on ITAT about "articles" from al.com, now they get responses like, "It's al.com, who cares?"

1 minute ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I think we've gotten to the point where 80% of our fanbase just doesn't care what the knuckle draggers at al.com and TiderIncestor think and treat those sites as something to be laughed at rather than something to take seriously. Years ago there used to be MUCH MORE hand wringing on ITAT about "articles" from al.com, now they get responses like, "It's al.com, who cares?"

Well played.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Yep, it is fun to just look at them like they're nuts when they start bragging like it's a personal accomplishment having 100 national championships. I've been good with the cow college thing for years too. Never bothered me. 

But I still prefer Tigers over War Eagles. 

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Yep, it is fun to just look at them like they're nuts when they start bragging like it's a personal accomplishment having 100 national championships. I've been good with the cow college thing for years too. Never bothered me. 

But I still prefer Tigers over War Eagles. 

As do I. 

If we ever start pushing War Eagles from our side, I'll be on board. But I'm good if we don't, lol. 

On 7/8/2019 at 12:05 AM, WalkingCarpet said:

I'd like to see us have an all blue kit that we use sparingly. Blue pants, blue tops, blue helmet with a matte finish.

Got me singing the blues!

I've yet to see an alternate kit proposal that I really like. In fact, I can't think of many alternates that I've liked for any other program. I'm a big fan of the Ole Miss powder blue helmets and red home jerseys with grey pants seen here: 

powder-bluesjpg-731d4478304f377f.jpg

So, I'm not necessarily opposed to alternates. I guess I'm just hard to please.

On 7/14/2019 at 4:15 PM, Barnacle said:

I've yet to see an alternate kit proposal that I really like. In fact, I can't think of many alternates that I've liked for any other program. I'm a big fan of the Ole Miss powder blue helmets and red home jerseys with grey pants seen here: 

powder-bluesjpg-731d4478304f377f.jpg

So, I'm not necessarily opposed to alternates. I guess I'm just hard to please.

I'm'a thumbs up powder blue just about every time. But it is definitely a nice fit in that Ole Miss configuration. 

And I'm the same way. I don't want alternates just to have them, despite the fact that they could be a recruiting tool and a revenue generator for the program. For me it's the all-navy with matte helmets or nothing. 

We told our athletic programs to cut their budgets by 10% each, yet refuse to sell alcohol and refuse to make an alternate jersey that would sell. 

We are so dumb 

2 hours ago, Tiger said:

We told our athletic programs to cut their budgets by 10% each, yet refuse to sell alcohol and refuse to make an alternate jersey that would sell. 

We are so dumb 

PtsWPCj.gif

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/8/2019 at 10:36 AM, AuCivilEng1 said:

I wish they’d get rid of the metallic stripes. 

And bring a modernized version of these bad boys back, once in a while, with an orange face mask to pay homage to a couple of different eras at once.
QC4JKOL2NVGNTFI77RKOKRJBCI.jpg

He took my idea and it looks amazing! I want royalties!

I never in a million years thought I'd be ok with number shadows (and this is coming from someone who owns a Karsten Bailey #5 jersey with shadows) but this mock actually doesn't look bad to me.

I think the mesh look of the jerseys back in the day coupled with the number shadows gave it a super cheesy look, particularly looking back, but this actually looks do-able. Not a fan of the facemasks though. The dark ones just look cooler to me.

JMO

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

I'd like to see us in orange jerseys and orange facemasks for the Oregon game.

It must be lonely!

7 hours ago, Tiger said:

I never in a million years thought I'd be ok with number shadows (and this is coming from someone who owns a Karsten Bailey #5 jersey with shadows) but this mock actually doesn't look bad to me.

I think the mesh look of the jerseys back in the day coupled with the number shadows gave it a super cheesy look, particularly looking back, but this actually looks do-able. Not a fan of the facemasks though. The dark ones just look cooler to me.

JMO

I'm one of the few, apparently, who liked the orange shadow. Of course, it was a fad in the 90's and half (possible exaggeration, but not sure) the college football teams in the nation did it but for most, the fad died.

Now, I have always made known my love for the mesh jerseys (it's what I wore my whole football life) and, I guess I'm in A4E territory but, I LOVE the orange facemasks.  They remind me of my earliest days as an Auburn fan.  Watched James, Joe, William, Lionel & Bo wearing those things.  I thought it was cool when CPD changed to the blue in '84 or '85 (I can't remember what year exactly) but I always hoped they'd go back to the orange....at least on occassion. 

On 7/16/2019 at 1:11 PM, SaturdayGT said:

Image result for AUBURN BLUE HELMET

But instead of the AU, add:  image.jpeg

I like this helmet with our regular blue jersey and blue pants.   It looks great for once a season.  WDE!

Archived