Practice News & Notes: 8/14 (Scrimmage #2)

ellitor

4 hours ago, cole256 said:

To me it's not about one or the other QB it's about real info and fake. Likeafter the first scrimmage nix had 3 int's.....but people come back and say jg struggled throwing that day and not nix because they have a favorite. That's the only issue I've had. The great thing about sports is settling it on the field. That's all I care about

The information was corrected that it was two interceptions and they were good throws that hit wrs hands. I don’t recall hearing Joey struggled that day but I do remember that neither qb had time to do much of anything. Content matters. 

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, alexava said:

The information was corrected that it was two interceptions and they were good throws that hit wrs hand

We saw one of the interceptions. It was overthrown and thrown into double coverage.

1 minute ago, alexava said:

The information was corrected that it was two interceptions and they were good throws that hit wrs hands. I don’t recall hearing Joey struggled that day but I do remember that neither qb had time to do much of anything. Content matters. 

I'm sure the throws hitting hands is something every QB goes thru but both of them wasn't one smoke just out athleted a guy, and every single day they have said jg has struggled at some throw. You are right content matters which goes back to my original statement I just care about the info being correct but not getting info one sided because whoever passing info is a fan one way or the other

52 minutes ago, cole256 said:

I'm sure the throws hitting hands is something every QB goes thru but both of them wasn't one smoke just out athleted a guy, and every single day they have said jg has struggled at some throw. You are right content matters which goes back to my original statement I just care about the info being correct but not getting info one sided because whoever passing info is a fan one way or the other

That is probably always going to happen. But I usually wait until we get some confirmation as to how much did it didn’t happen. I want correct info too.

When smoke out played a wr for the ball I saw that told as if he took it away from the wr (sal?) which would mean it likely hit his hands. But I admit I don’t know exactly how it happened. 

1 hour ago, aujeff11 said:

We saw one of the interceptions. It was overthrown and thrown into double coverage.

Where did you see that 

3 hours ago, aujeff11 said:

I imagine we are doing a whole lot of situational stuff that require acumen and quick decision making. If so, his athleticism isn’t going to help much anyway. 

I don’t trust Rivals for their word either. Just sharing because sharing is caring right.

I don't trust anything at this point. And I've thought all along that Nix could "look" better and still lose the job. 

13 minutes ago, alexava said:

Where did you see that 

It was shared here I thought. The ball was overthrown and Smoke did a toe tap before going out of bounds. 

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

It was shared here I thought. The ball was overthrown and Smoke did a toe tap before going out of bounds. 

Yup it was the Gus special...well one of them...the TE wheel route, fake and go...ala CJ Uzomah MSU and bammer 2013. Smoke caught it backwards.

34 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

I don't trust anything at this point. And I've thought all along that Nix could "look" better and still lose the job. 

That's where I'm at. From the start everybody was going to say nix is the better passer, see the field better, dad a coach etc., and jg is the best runner and all of that, so even a day where maybe it's not so, that particular day the same reports would still come out so I just want the info as to what happens and I can come to my own conclusions as opposed to somebody thinking for me

Well from all accounts Nix has been getting the vast majority of 1st team reps lately. So there's that. 

FWIW, apparently Joey has looked pretty good too. 

Seth was a monster today. Hill had another good day and so did Cannella.

Pappoe is going to be a freshman All-American, book it.

I think Seth and Hill could be an all SEC tandem in regards to athletism.   Throw in Ant, Stove and Hastings and we could be very good.  

1 hour ago, ValleyTiger said:

Pappoe is going to be a freshman All-American, book it.

That would be something. 

If that happens I will start to worry that TWill won't be around too much longer. He will be hired as a DC somewhere. 

Didn't I see it said on here that Steele only needed so much time to acquire Alabama retirement? TWill is already the current Co-DC but if we have that kind of play out of new linebackers much less a true freshman, he will be named a DC somewhere before it is too long. 

And TWill is about the last person I'd want to leave. 

9 hours ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

That would be something. 

If that happens I will start to worry that TWill won't be around too much longer. He will be hired as a DC somewhere. 

Didn't I see it said on here that Steele only needed so much time to acquire Alabama retirement? TWill is already the current Co-DC but if we have that kind of play out of new linebackers much less a true freshman, he will be named a DC somewhere before it is too long. 

And TWill is about the last person I'd want to leave. 

Absolutely. I would do just about anything to keep our defensive staff. It has been a hot minute since we've had even reliable Linebackers, much less good Linebackers. And as much as I hate the old adage, defense still wins championships.

21 hours ago, gr82be said:

I'm just not seeing how anyone can be thinking the JG transfers if he isn't the starter.

I could see him staying the year to see how everything plays out.  But, if you're beaten out fair and square by someone who will be here at least as long as you, and you really think you have the talent to be a D1 QB, what would be the rational for staying?  Hoping the starter gets injured and you get your chance? Showcasing your abilities in specialty/redzone packages 5-10 plays a game? Playing in mop up duty?  What would be the point?

16 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I could see him staying the year to see how everything plays out.  But, if you're beaten out fair and square by someone who will be here at least as long as you, and you really think you have the talent to be a D1 QB, what would be the rational for staying?  Hoping the starter gets injured and you get your chance? Showcasing your abilities in specialty/redzone packages 5-10 plays a game? Playing in mop up duty?  What would be the point?

JG did this his whole HS career, I’m sure he’s pretty sick of it by now.  It’s going to be interesting for here on out.

24 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

The point to me is , no matter where he went he would have to win the job. Unless he graduates Doogie style he will have to sit a year. While he could still do it he wouldn’t be guaranteed anything. Here he is a play away from having it all. Just don’t see him doing anything or even considering it until after the season. 

On 8/17/2019 at 10:08 AM, aubiefifty said:

Can grad transfer Jay Jay Wilson give Auburn versatility it has lacked at H-back?

Updated Aug 17, 7:23 AM;Posted Aug 17, 7:00 AM

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Jay Jay Wilson makes a catch Wednesday. Auburn football practice, scrimmage 2, on Wednesday, Aug. 14, 2019 in Auburn, Ala. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

1 share

By Tom Green | tgreen@al.com

Kenny Dillingham prides himself on relationship-building, particularly when it comes to his players.

It’s that ability that played what Auburn’s first-year offensive coordinator described as a “vital” role in bringing graduate transfer H-back Jay Jay Wilson to the Plains from Arizona State this offseason. Dillingham and Wilson previously spent time together with the Sun Devils, when Dillingham was a graduate assistant working the tight ends.

“I knew him, and he trusted me,” Dillingham said. “… I think it's twofold. When you have those relationships at the end of the day, I think those guys can trust you whether it's now or whether it's in 10 years. And that was just an example of that relationship coming back to help. It was positive.”

Now that Wilson’s on campus, Auburn is banking on the 6-foot-3, 249-pounder playing a vital role in the offense this season as the Tigers try to reshape the way they utilize the H-back/tight end position.

“He has a skillset that we haven’t had around here in a while,” tight ends/H-backs coach Larry Porter said. “He’s given us some options and some versatility in our offense that will allow us to do some different things and really and truly showcase our tight end position.”

For the majority of the last four seasons, Auburn has relied on Chandler Cox as the starting H-back while rotating personnel at tight end. Over that span, the two positions combined for 34 receptions for 319 yards and four touchdowns, with three of those coming on gadget plays.

There was an uptick in that production last season, when they caught 16 passes for 154 yards and two scores, but Auburn wants to do more with the H-back and tight end roles this year by consolidating it into one position with more versatility.

That’s where Wilson enters the picture.

Since arriving on campus, Wilson has shown an eagerness to ingratiate himself with his new teammates and a work ethic that has impressed those around the program. With only one year of eligibility remaining, Wilson understands that his time at Auburn is limited, and he wants to make the most of this season and quickly earn the trust of his teammates on and off the field.

“That boy is a dog,” running back Boobee Whitlow said. “I like that guy. That boy is a dog. I like him a lot. The boy is a dog, though. It's just his work ethic, man. A guy comes in here and didn't really talk that much, he lets his play on the field speak for itself. He came in here and wasn't like one of the type of the guys who were doing that hoo-rah, hoo-rah, but when he steps on the field — he just turns the lights on. It's on from there.

Wilson’s size makes him one of the bigger receiving and blocking options among Auburn’s skill position players. Given his history as not just a tight end but as a linebacker last season with the Sun Devils, he’s not afraid to stick his face in the fan and serve either as a lead-blocker for the run game or in pass protection — even when going up against the likes of Marlon Davidson, Nick Coe, Big Kat Bryant and T.D. Moultry off the edge.

“Those are probably some guys with a skill set that he’s not used to seeing on a daily basis, which has allowed him to grow in that area,” Porter said.

While Wilson still has room to grow as a blocker, that willingness and effort should go a long way in that aspect of his game. As far as the receiving facet, he has thus far proven to be an incredibly reliable option in the passing game during fall camp.

Until Wednesday’s scrimmage at Jordan-Hare Stadium, Wilson had not dropped a single pass thrown his way. Even that missed target wasn’t all on him. According to running back Kam Martin, it came on a pass break-up by a defender.

“Jay Jay. Jay Jay Wilson, man; he’s a baller,” Martin said. “… I feel like Jay Jay is going to have a good year.”

Wilson’s integration into the fold has given Auburn a different dynamic on offense this preseason, with Martin remarking on just how fluid the offense looks when Wilson is on the field.

The ability of Wilson to seamlessly move from H-back to tight end — and even the capability to play some receiver and, if necessary, some running back, according to Malzahn — and be successful in those roles should go a long way toward what Auburn wants to do offensively this season. Malzahn has put a renewed emphasis on pace this offseason, noting that in order to do so, limiting substitutions in certain situations will be critical.

That’s why Wilson’s versatility is so important, because if he can be effective at H-back/tight end, Auburn will have an easier time keeping the same personnel on the field regardless of the formation. It’s a possibility that Porter said is exciting to think about as the season approaches.

“He can do a lot of different things,” Dillingham said. “He's a really good athlete. He's a physical dude. He's what you want to be that guy to kind of do it all.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

No excuse now...Great to see this. Use the position. We got two freshman te's now and another highly ranked te recruit that's interested. A TE can do so much for  this offense.

On 8/15/2019 at 6:35 PM, Auburn2Eugene said:

Then @BigWhiskey91

If you didn't block me and I just assumed that you did, please accept my deepest apologies.

Edit it appears as though I can email him. 

sheepish_aladdin.gif

Just now seeing these. 

Lmao I don’t block anyone on here. I am on here from time to time and mainly on mobile, where I may not be logged in to see notifications. 

Let me go back reread everything! If I did tag you, my apologies for that as well! 

32 minutes ago, BigWhiskey91 said:

Just now seeing these. 

Lmao I don’t block anyone on here. I am on here from time to time and mainly on mobile, where I may not be logged in to see notifications. 

Let me go back reread everything! If I did tag you, my apologies for that as well! 

Ahh I see what it was now. It looks like when I quoted DAG, you weren’t tagged in his post? I never really have interacted with you in any debate/disagreement so I wasn’t really tracking for you here.

All good though! If anyone has any thoughts like this, shoot me a PM! 

On 8/15/2019 at 7:01 AM, aujeff11 said:

Auburn was second in the SEC in sacks last year without a true pass rusher. Auburn’s DL mostly owned the line of scrimmage. Holding teams like LSU to 2.8 yards per carry. 

We also have an All American in Derrick Brown who is the highest graded interior DL by PFF in the last two years. 

We can stop pretending that last year’s DL wasn’t a strength and won’t be one this year. 

Note Kevin Steele's comments (free content):

https://247sports.com/college/auburn/Article/The-key-number-for-Auburn-defense-winning-a-championship-134588962/

19 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Please don’t get this started again! 😝 

12 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I’m glad we have expectations to be greater as a defense. Those should be there. We had a couple aberrations uncharacteristic of a great overall defense last year. The offense had something to do with that, still our defense didn’t play our best against Mississippi State, Tennessee, and the second half v Alabama.

I’m not sure what you want me to take note of though. In 04 I thought RB would be our greatest strength, and in 2019 I think the DL will be our greatest strength. Injuries can happen. That’s the only way I can potentially be wrong, but who cares. Anonymous posters insulting me or going through my history isn’t going to shake me. I see everybody ready to crown Pappoa the next great Roquan Smith even though he hasn’t played a snap yet,  but people want to get up in arms because I’m not wanting to throw the potential word out there after three studs returning. Okay? 

https://images.app.goo.gl/pNB4uyjtXSry5erZ6

30 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’m glad we have expectations to be greater as a defense. Those should be there. We had a couple aberrations uncharacteristic of a great overall defense last year. The offense had something to do with that, still our defense didn’t play our best against Mississippi State, Tennessee, and the second half v Alabama.

I’m not sure what you want me to take note of though. In 04 I thought RB would be our greatest strength, and in 2019 I think the DL will be our greatest strength. Injuries can happen. That’s the only way I can potentially be wrong, but who cares. Anonymous posters insulting me or going through my history isn’t going to shake me. I see everybody ready to crown Pappoa the next great Roquan Smith even though he hasn’t played a snap yet,  but people want to get up in arms because I’m not wanting to throw the potential word out there after three studs returning. Okay? 

https://images.app.goo.gl/pNB4uyjtXSry5erZ6

Just pointing out that CKS recognizes that this is a new season and makes it pretty clear that last season has nothing to do with it. 

Still potential until facts supersede it. I'm not trying to be argumentive; just thought what Steele said was related to this topic.

4 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

Just pointing out that CKS recognizes that this is a new season and makes it pretty clear that last season has nothing to do with it. 

Still potential until facts supersede it. I'm not trying to be argumentive; just thought what Steele said was related to this topic.

I totally agree with him that our defense has to take the next step. A good coach has to think like that if for no other reason than to have the players wanting more. Like Cole said, the inexperienced linebackers aren’t accounted for in the Athlon DL rankings. Neither are a whole bunch of other variables including:  depth, SOS, TOP,  garbage stats, and many many more. We will be stout but I don’t know about Athlon’s ranking. 

I actually didn’t realize our 2010 defense was so stout on run defense. One of my unsung heroes that I have yet to post though was Antoine Carter..He, being a DL, ran down a Heisman RB and forced a fumble through the EZ which helped us get back into the game. Was a solid player year around as well. 

31 minutes ago, Swamp Eagle said:

I posted that article 2-3 days ago and we’ve already hashed it’ out three ways to Sunday!

Archived