Practice News & Notes: 8/14 (Scrimmage #2)

ellitor

37 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Gus and his games

It's more like Texas Hold 'Em for football but I get your point & know all to well.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, DAG said:

It is crazy to me that we have Joey fans and Bo fans smh. Preference is one thing, but my goodness.

I'm sure that there are personal Joey fans or Bo fans, for whatever their personal reasons.  I don't know either of them but they both wear the O&B so I'm a fan of both.....they're Auburn Tigers after-all.

However, many of us are making our preference based more on Gus' history and our perception of who we feel would be the better fit in Gus' Offense.  It ain't personal at all but rather we just want the QB who truly & honestly gives the offense the best chance at sustaining success. 

As for those differing opinions on the player qualities and what we expect with Gus officially calling plays, well that's what drives these threads.  But for me, and I would imagine many, I deep-down don't care who it is.  I just want a winner for AU!

12 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

how many inside sources gave us a heads up that the Cox-Cat was coming? 

Pretty impossible for insiders to know. Gus put it in literally the day before it was first used & scrapping the entire game plan the team had been practicing all week that week.

6 minutes ago, AUsince72 said:

I'm sure that there are personal Joey fans or Bo fans, for whatever their personal reasons.  I don't know either of them but they both wear the O&B so I'm a fan of both.....they're Auburn Tigers after-all.

However, many of us are making our preference based more on Gus' history and our perception of who we feel would be the better fit in Gus' Offense.  It ain't personal at all but rather we just want the QB who truly & honestly gives the offense the best chance at sustaining success. 

As for those differing opinions on the player qualities and what we expect with Gus officially calling plays, well that's what drives these threads.  But for me, and I would imagine many, I deep-down don't care who it is.  I just want a winner for AU!

Very minimum amount of fans have a personal favorite I imagine. 

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Pretty impossible for insiders to know. Gus put it in literally the day before it was first used & scrapping the entire game plan the team had been practicing all week that week.

Perzactly!

Even if Gus told me, to my face, who the starter for game one is, it wouldn't mean a hill of beans.

And I don't mean this as a slight to him.  Simply that his administration is fantastic at keeping info close to the vest. 

However, over the last few years I do take a lot of AU football news with a grain of salt.  Cuz during the week it may sound like Shakespeare but too often by Saturday it looks like the Marx Brothers.

Just now, DAG said:

That is fair, but not at the expense of the other guy.

I’ll give Nix his due now. He has performed well right off the bat. Something that Joey didn’t do last year. He seems like a great kid with a great IQ thanks to being groomed to the position by his dad his whole life. He’s also a lifelong Auburn fan and that’s kinda cool. 

Still, Gatewood is my guy until whatever happens. Gatewood will never have the upbringing or HS experience that Nix had. He didn’t even have a dad. I’ve rooted for him for so long ,though, that I’m sad it’s probably going to have to end soon. 

When Nix is named the starter, I’ll support him. I’ll follow along with Gatewood, but Nix will be the guy. His success is almost expected though and I will push back against that until the day his success comes. We don’t know how well he’s going to play when he’s under fire, and we don’t know Gus’s plan to help him. If Bo is going to be asked to throw quick outs and bombs all game like I saw last year, I’ll be feeling some type of way at that point. That would be akin to buying a Ferrari just for the scrap metal, soo grossly under-utilized.  I don’t think Gus understands he’s not just choosing between two quarterbacks- he’s choosing between two totally different systems. If he picks Nix, he can’t just push the same offense on him that he is comfortable with using and expect maximum results. At least Joey could’ve worked well within his comfort zone. Gus does well with athletic QBs with budding passing abilities that can ad lib chicken sh** into chicken salad. 

But believe me, once a guy is chosen, he will be the guy. If Gatewood or Nix show they can’t handle the responsibility,  the other will hopefully be the guy as well. For now it’s preferences 

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

I’ll give Nix his due now. He has performed well right off the bat. Something that Joey didn’t do last year. He seems like a great kid with a great IQ thanks to being groomed to the position by his dad his whole life. He’s also a lifelong Auburn fan and that’s kinda cool. 

Still, Gatewood is my guy until whatever happens. Gatewood will never have the upbringing or HS experience that Nix had. He didn’t even have a dad. I’ve rooted for him for so long ,though, that I’m sad it’s probably going to have to end soon. 

When Nix is named the starter, I’ll support him. I’ll follow along with Gatewood, but Nix will be the guy. His success is almost expected though and I will push back against that until the day his success comes. We don’t know how well he’s going to play when he’s under fire, and we don’t know Gus’s plan to help him. If Bo is going to be asked to throw quick outs and bombs all game like I saw last year, I’ll be feeling some type of way at that point. That would be akin to buying a Ferrari just for the scrap metal, soo grossly under-utilized.  I don’t think Gus understands he’s not just choosing between two quarterbacks- he’s choosing between two totally different systems. If he picks Nix, he can’t just push the same offense on him that he is comfortable with using and expect maximum results. At least Joey could’ve worked well within his comfort zone. Gus does well with athletic QBs with budding passing abilities that can ad lib chicken sh** into chicken salad. 

But believe me, once a guy is chosen, he will be the guy. If Gatewood or Nix show they can’t handle the responsibility,  the other will hopefully be the guy as well. For now it’s preferences 

this is a very good analysis. I totally respect that.

9 hours ago, bigbird said:

@Mikey please reassure everyone.

Everyone be assured. If we lose a starting OL, we will still line up 5 quality OL players in the next game.

1 minute ago, Mikey said:

Everyone be assured. If we lose a starting OL, we will still line up 5 quality OL players in the next game.

I actually think you’re right. If we lose the replacement at tackle too, that’s when you better kiss your family goodnight and go to bed. 

4 minutes ago, Mikey said:

No pressure Bailey!

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

I actually think you’re right. If we lose the replacement at tackle too, that’s when you better kiss your family goodnight and go to bed. 

If a team loses it's top two players at any position they will have to scrap around to fill the hole. That's not unique to the OL positions.

3 minutes ago, Mikey said:

If a team loses it's top two players at any position they will have to scrap around to fill the hole. That's not unique to the OL positions.

If all five had quality backups, we’d be in a better position to scrap around . We have 7 guys that Grimes is comfortable using which tells me we don’t have a top two at all five spots. We have emergency linemen basically. 

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

If all five had quality backups, we’d be in a better position to scrap around . We have 7 guys that Grimes is comfortable using which tells me we don’t have a top two at all five spots. We have emergency linemen basically. 

I think there are enough quality backups that should multiple injuries happen other guys will step up and do a serviceable job.

8 minutes ago, Mikey said:

I think there are enough quality backups that should multiple injuries happen other guys will step up and do a serviceable job.

Hopefully we won’t have to find out either way. 

1 hour ago, DAG said:

I have no preference at all. I don’t think I’ve seen many, if any Bo fans. Several Joey fans though. 

No inside info like most on here but Gus may actually have a coach in his ear that he may be listening to in regard to the QB. I have a feeling that Gus may actually trust Dilly and his input on Bo and Joey. Gus really has his back against the wall this season (if a multimillionaire can actually be in jeopardy). He may finally be open to trusting his coaches since they have more to gain by success than Gus does. I don't care if it is Bo or Joey but I do care that they are put in the position to be successful. Asking one of them to do more than he can naturally do will lead to problems quickly. Both of them will make freshmen mistakes and/or amaze us with the things they will be able to do. I'm going to do my best to not over expect and enjoy the season watching our QB grow up right before my eyes. There will be opportunities to play both as well as getting the backups on the O-line some experience if Gus is smart about it. I don't care about beating the cupcakes by 30 points. I care about staying healthy and getting the backups some experience. 

I can't have a preference for a QB that I've never really seen play in a game. My concern with Gatewood(no fault of his), is that Gus will fall in love with him running the ball and the WR's will end up run blocking 80% of the time. Don't think that happens with Nix. I just hope whoever is the starter gets a chance to play the position fully and we don't see the  two running in and out of the game based on situations.

17 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

Can confirm. No starters. Previous injury. No new imaging today, (my error) everybody call off the dogs. 

I'm going to let you slide this time PTB but I was about to suggest a name change to pass the Quaalude's.

4 minutes ago, AUMASTERS said:

I'm going to let you slide this time PTB but I was about to suggest a name change to pass the Quaalude's.

247 poster suggested: Throwed Rolls

9 hours ago, DAG said:

Have you paid attention? 

There is a very minimal amount of independent fans. Most that I've seen prefer one to the other. 

Doesn't really matter because both will play at first and whoever takes over the position will have the support of the fanbase I'm sure. 

I mean it's not like @aujeff11 and I will be mad about pulling for a 5* legacy QB if he wins the job. 

8 hours ago, Mikey said:

If the injury is inside this is an accurate statement. 

If it's to one of (or Odin forbid) both of our OTs that's a different story. We have recruited very well inside. We haven't recruited worth a crap on the outside of the line... Anyone who says or suggests otherwise is lying, or selling something.

26 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:
10 hours ago, DAG said:

Have you paid attention? 

There is a very minimal amount of independent fans. Most that I've seen prefer one to the other. 

Doesn't really matter because both will play at first and whoever takes over the position will have the support of the fanbase I'm sure. 

I mean it's not like @aujeff11 and I will be mad about pulling for a 5* legacy QB if he wins the job. 

A2E, DAG posted this as a direct response to my post to him.  You have to see the context..

He's not saying that we fans haven't been "fans" of one over the other.  He and I were simply pointing out that it's not personal in most of our cases. 

IE: I've been Team Joey not because I think he's a finer young man nor player than Bo nor vice verse for a Team Bo person.  We are Team **** depending on knowing Gus' history, our expectation of how Gus is truly going to run the offense, how the QB position will be utilized, etc.

Therefore, if Gus could make the offense work properly by using Sandberg then I'd be team Cord.

Well I was going to post if you haven't seen people on this board preferring one or the other it's funny how people can read the same thing and interpret it different ways but I sincerely don't want to fuss and fight about it. But to me that seems obvious

Archived