Practice News & Notes: 8/14 (Scrimmage #2)

ellitor

Just now, aujeff11 said:

I don’t understand how saying our DL will be a strength (to which our DL is highly regarded and has plenty of  actual evidence) can be so polarizing. 

Aufamily gonna Aufamily 

I think some aren't comfortable seeing our boys talked about with high expectations. Some may think if we talk highly of them then that may hurt them psychologically. I don't agree but there are some that think that if I understand past discussions correctly.

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Oh, so bigbird.

Nope. Believe it or not I know a good number of more coaches with AU ties than 1.

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

I think some aren't comfortable seeing our boys talked about with high expectations. Some may think if we talk highly of them then that may hurt them psychologically. I don't agree but there are some that think that if I understand past discussions correctly.

That underdog mentality boobee spoke about yesterday and he seems to hate it.

2 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

You need more than 3 studs to be anywhere close to the best in the nation - they can't play 80 snaps apiece and stay healthy. I'm concerned about depth on the DL with Jibunor gone and Newkirk probably done. Still no news about Miller, and now apparently Moultry is slightly banged up.  If you poach Davidson and Coe to shore up DT inside, then you are going to have undersized freshmen in the DE rotation where we desperately need sacks. Not saying they will be bad at all... I'm just saying it's a reason not to be quite as bullish as some are. 

This is fair. If we don't have some depth developed I worry about our DL in 4th quarters this season.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We have a top 3 DL coach and a formidable DL. Barring injuries, I’m very confident in the line and the coaching of it. 

We can “wait and see” but I already know they will be a strength. A strength that will help out our inexperienced linebackers a ton. 

2 minutes ago, ellitor said:

This is fair. If we don't have some depth developed I worry about our DL in 4th quarters this season.

No one is really talking about it, but I think losing Odalele and Jibunor from the same class in 17, and then moving Manning and Jackson to OL, has definitely eroded some important depth along the DL. I shudder to think what it would look like if any of the big 3 had declared for the draft this year. 

2 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

We have a top 3 DL coach and a formidable DL. Barring injuries, I’m very confident in the line and the coaching of it. 

We can “wait and see” but I already know they will be a strength. A strength that will help out our inexperienced linebackers a ton. 

What if injury hits and we lose 2 starters. Would they still be a strength? The potential to be a strength is there but it needs to be realized. Just like TD last year, the potential was there but he didn't realize it. You may say you know it will be, but until it is no one knows. That's why it's called potential.

I see what you are both saying. And reading Jeff's posts about this, I find it difficult to to not agree with him, but the bird says this

2 minutes ago, bigbird said:

What if injury hits and we lose 2 starters. Would they still be a strength?

ANNNNNNNNNNNNNNND then everything becomes clear.

10 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

ANNNNNNND THEN we see that the two of you are actually saying the same thing

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

ANNNNNNND THEN we see that the two of you are actually saying the same thing

Nope. I’m not going to pretend that the DL didn’t live up to expectations last year. 

31 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Hater’s gonna hate

RG said the exact same thing.

Guess you won't tell me what "challenged mentally" is. Not surprised. RG didn't say that TD's problems last year were all "challenged mentally". You the king of the haters going to hate club Geoffry.

17 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

No one is really talking about it, but I think losing Odalele and Jibunor from the same class in 17, and then moving Manning and Jackson to OL, has definitely eroded some important depth along the DL. I shudder to think what it would look like if any of the big 3 had declared for the draft this year. 

Our DL would have been less of a strength if one left, but we had a good DL class last year. Also have a good DL coach which extracts high level performance from 3*s and up or else they hit the road- see jibunor and Cowart. 

We are about to have a lowly 3* DL in Truesdell starting at DT and he’s done well throughout camp supposedly. That speaks volumes to CRG’s coaching. 

5 minutes ago, aujeff11 said:

Nope. I’m not going to pretend that the DL didn’t live up to expectations last year. 

They didn't. They were thought to be a top 10 DL. The stats I showed you earlier show they weren't close to that. Potential vs actual.

https://www.footballoutsiders.com/stats/ncaadl

1 minute ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Guess you won't tell me what "challenged mentally" is. Not surprised. RG didn't say that TD's problems last year were all "challenged mentally". You the king of the haters going to hate club Geoffry.

I explained it directly to you. 

34 minutes ago, DAG said:

So Jeff is pretty much accurate in his assessment? It wasn't an issue of potential or physicality, but he couldn't put it all together mentally.

See, this isn't correct. Many more factors to this than putting it together mentally. TD's has the mental part. Just best to let this one die and lets see what the kid can do this year.

11 hours ago, ellitor said:

Complaining about the facepalms or downvotes afterwards doesn't do any good. Yes I know I need to take my own advice.

I know.  I got a facepalm & and down vote to a post of mine in the QB discussion and then I saw the 2 involved and was all like:

35776c3a8127ae31095dc6373bdc08c5b2bec5283bc1639246f9f8accefe29e1.gif

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

Our DL would have been less of a strength if one left, but we had a good DL class last year. Also have a good DL coach which extracts high level performance from 3*s and up or else they hit the road- see jibunor and Cowart. 

We are about to have a lowly 3* DL in Truesdell starting at DT and he’s done well throughout camp supposedly. That speaks volumes to CRG’s coaching. 

Not arguing those points - but Garner rotates 5 DTs and right now we have two in Brown and Truesdell. Four if you count Coe and Davidson. Hence my concerns. The freshmen DL class looks talented, but they are all pretty undersized right now except maybe Handy. 

Yes but most connected to the program still see his motor only being able to handle 15-20 snaps a game effectively. Going to need depth behind that.

21 minutes ago, Sani-Freeze said:

Don't forget the DL that we blocked from transferring to Ohio State, only for him to go to JUCO then transferred to Ohio State

I explained it directly to you. 

Not really. You also said confidence and maturity, which if you knew TD that this is just out right wrong. So you are saying that TD's problems last year were due to him not picking up the schemes? Is this what you mean? If so you are wrong. Shocker. 

Archived