Practice News & Notes: 8/14 (Scrimmage #2)

ellitor

1 minute ago, aujeff11 said:

GOATwood and DL finna eat 😈

Taken from another board... But this is from the raido so it should be fine to post here. I know not to post vip content.

Anyone listen to Justin Ferguson on JOX this morning? 

- Gatewood was amazing when they actually let him go live. Said Nix has caught up because of the no contact. 

• Replies 905
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, bigbird said:

So, let me ask it this way.

Do you think last year's DL performance matched the expectations for that DL?

@bigbird

:waveoff: :waveoff:

1 minute ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

Gatewood was amazing when they actually let him go live. Said Nix has caught up because of the no contact.

Surely this isn't something a few of us had complained about?!? 

Taken from another board... But this is from the raido so it should be fine to post here. I know not to post vip content.

- Gatewood was amazing when they actually let him go live. Said Nix has caught up because of the no contact. 

Radio is public so everything summed from that is good to post.

Interesting!!! I thought it was a net benefit for  Gatewood to not go live. 

Jeffy, it's okay.  I can understand how that question would be confusing to you; it's kind of tricky.

Wait, you mean the QB who is more of a run threat is better when he can run?

giphy.gif

That said, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to try and force Joey to work on his passing game a bit. If they know what he can do running the ball, work on the "weaker" part of his game while they can

Interesting!!! I thought it was a net benefit for  Gatewood to not go live. 

The things we continue to argue about or poke others on for the sake of continuing to argue. Too funny.

Luginbill just added that Joey is a much better runner than Nix and it’s not even close.  Nix has benefited because he’s a better passer and has more experience reading defenses and making throws.  I guess we’ll find out two weeks from Saturday 

1 minute ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

That said, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to try and force Joey to work on his passing game a bit

Joey is fighting for his job and you’re asking him to use his secondary skills to go against Bo’s primary skills when you don’t let either QB go live. 

The more nuanced QB is destined to win the camp that Gus has set up. He’d have White over Marshall  if he could. 

I understand the "potential" argument about our D-Line being one of the best in the country. But, there is also evidence ( an available body of facts or information) that we will indeed have a great D-Line based on past performance. So I see Bigbird and aujeff points and it is my opinion that both are correct! War Eagle gentlemen and as always, IGTBAAT!

6 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Jeffy, it's okay.  I can understand how that question would be confusing to you; it's kind of tricky.

You’re still talking to me. 😂 

2 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Nix has benefited because he’s a better passer and has more experience reading defenses and making throws.  

So things that matter most to a QB?

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

So things that matter most to a QB?

Ha!  Yes all the things that Qbs need to be able to do to be effective.  2015 taught us being able to read a defense is important.

Joey is fighting for his job and you’re asking him to use his secondary skills to go against Bo’s primary skills when you don’t let either QB go live. 

The more nuanced QB is destined to win the camp that Gus has set up. He’d have White over Marshall  if he could. 

The thing I think you're discounting though is that no matter who wins the job, at some point this season we will be put into a situation where we need to rely on the QB's ability to pass the ball to win the game. Yes, Joey is much more dynamic when he can go live, nobody is arguing that. What I'm arguing though is that it's possible the coaches are trying to test his ability to step into the pocket and make a throw vs tucking it and running (which would be his natural instinct). 

Tucking it and running is a great reaction for a drive midway through the 3rd quarter in a 1 possession ballgame. But if it's the 4th quarter w/ a minute to go and we need to drive down the field to win, we need Joey to make a throw, not tuck it and run. If he can't do that, we need to know that now, not later.

10 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Wait, you mean the QB who is more of a run threat is better when he can run?

giphy.gif

That said, I don't think it's necessarily a bad thing to try and force Joey to work on his passing game a bit. If they know what he can do running the ball, work on the "weaker" part of his game while they can

So... What you are saying is that it's not shocking that the QB who hasn't gotten any love from the press all camp is now being reported as being awesome when able to go live... But it is fair to judge him in a competition while taking away his biggest threat? 

Just trying to figure out your thinking here... 

Just to clarify...by your thinking... I (a person who has wanted Joey as our QB for YEARS) all the while being told he will never be QB at Auburn, he needs to change to TE, he wasn't even a starter in high school,  meanwhile Nix is getting all the love by the press in camp. ALL OF IT. We are going multiple days without hearing a single thing about Gatewood other than "Gatewood wasn't as accurate" as @aujeff11, myself,  and a few others stated all along it wasn't a fair competition if you take away Joey's biggest strength...

That I should not be stoked hearing it reported that the 5* prodigy had caught up because of not going live (which backs what Jeff and I had claimed and been told... Na it doesn't matter that he can't go live)

I don't care. Either way...

source.gif

giphy-1.gif.233c52cac982bcb921f3f19e54ac882a.gif

18 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

I was almost ran off for saying this would happen

12 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

Tucking it and running is a great reaction for a drive midway through the 3rd quarter in a 1 possession ballgame. But if it's the 4th quarter w/ a minute to go and we need to drive down the field to win, we need Joey to make a throw, not tuck it and run. If he can't do that, we need to know that now, not later.

3E41EBE7-19B1-4CE7-B76E-D83CF4454203.gif

1 minute ago, cole256 said:

I was almost ran off for saying this would happen

I've been told I was wrong so many times on this site and others for claiming this very thing. Oh well. 

16 days until we find out either way right?

15 minutes ago, Win4AU said:

Luginbill just added that Joey is a much better runner than Nix and it’s not even close.  Nix has benefited because he’s a better passer and has more experience reading defenses and making throws.  I guess we’ll find out two weeks from Saturday 

So basically doing two of the most important things a QB should do? Got it. 

I've been told I was wrong so many times on this site and others for claiming this very thing. Oh well. 

16 days until we find out either way right?

The thing that bothers me the most is for whatever reason you're not supposed to say see? You get call all kind of names and when you're right you're just supposed to be quiet

1 minute ago, Win4AU said:

D052125A-6BDA-4938-8166-ED3DB6788F12.jpeg

I mean it's easy to find a spot where it's clear the better passing QB would be the better option. 

I could just as easily show us up by 1 or 2 and having 3rd and 3 or 3rd and 4 and that's the spot I want a QB similar in size to Cam Newton. Granted I'm not calling Joey Gatewood Cam Newton, but he has a similar body style and when we are in the situation I described...I want JoeyG in there. See how that works? Cherry picking the variables easily reinforce your point. 

Archived