I don't think the Board Understands

AUght2win

What we just witnessed. At least from the posts I have seen. That was one of the gutsiest wins in Auburn history. 

A true freshman just brought us from 15 down on national TV in Jerryworld against the #11 team in the country. You don't just DO that. You don't just take the team down the field for the game winning strike after having a ROUGH debut. The kid brought us back from the dead. 

We witnessed the birth of the next Auburn great tonight in Dallas.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Tebow was correct.  After the game,  the story is the True Freshman, not the Heisman hopeful. 

1 hour ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Pretty sure you're wrong....  You really think you needed to start a post to explain what everyone saw?  Please.....

Considering half of all the board's posts are "Bo has to improve, this team has a LONG way to go, etc", yes.

Here's the thing. Auburn stuck to it's philosophy and wore down Oregon over the course of the game. It didn't look pretty... In fact looked pretty grim until Stove had his 60 yards in 2-plays drive...

But I don't know if you saw what I saw, but I saw an Oregon defense that was gassed — even a gassed Boobee Whitlow was pressing them.

I agree this might be the gutsiest win I've seen in recent memory. This Oregon team will win a lot of games this season. I think there's something to be said that we can stick to the game plan and beat a really good Oregon team. So I for one will revel in this one and I look forward to watching us improve over the next couple weeks.

War Eagle!

It was a great win, no doubt, but I wouldn't say historic. We looked awful for a healthy portion of that game. Seeing Bo Nix recover from that and the way his team responded to him was inspiring and could lead to great things this season. I was also extremely encouraged to see Malzahn adjust over the course of the game. I haven't seen very much of that in his time here and I hope this is a sign of him growing into that next level. Oregon was a good team, but they shot themselves in the foot quite a bit as well. We really were lucky to still be in shooting distance when the second half rolled around.

Most facets of the team improved over the course of the game which was good to see, but I'm still amazed how unprepared we looked. If we come out that slow against the tougher half of our schedule, we're going to have a rough go of things. The offensive line is pretty bad. The defense has obvious potential and looked dominant at times, but there's a lot of chinks in that armor. I hope Williams continues to play with the fire he showed on the game winning catch, because he looked almost lackadaisical most of the night. Whitlow is a very smart runner, but we need better run support from the rest of the rotation. Martin looked pretty good in his few touches. Overall, it's the sort of win that can turn into great things. I'm a lot more optimistic after last night than I was coming into the season, so let's see what we can do.

35 minutes ago, aucom96 said:

It was a great win, no doubt, but I wouldn't say historic. We looked awful for a healthy portion of that game. Seeing Bo Nix recover from that and the way his team responded to him was inspiring and could lead to great things this season. I was also extremely encouraged to see Malzahn adjust over the course of the game. I haven't seen very much of that in his time here and I hope this is a sign of him growing into that next level. Oregon was a good team, but they shot themselves in the foot quite a bit as well. We really were lucky to still be in shooting distance when the second half rolled around.

Most facets of the team improved over the course of the game which was good to see, but I'm still amazed how unprepared we looked. If we come out that slow against the tougher half of our schedule, we're going to have a rough go of things. The offensive line is pretty bad. The defense has obvious potential and looked dominant at times, but there's a lot of chinks in that armor. I hope Williams continues to play with the fire he showed on the game winning catch, because he looked almost lackadaisical most of the night. Whitlow is a very smart runner, but we need better run support from the rest of the rotation. Martin looked pretty good in his few touches. Overall, it's the sort of win that can turn into great things. I'm a lot more optimistic after last night than I was coming into the season, so let's see what we can do.

Took the words out of my mouth for almost everything. Great great gutsy win but we will lose 5 games if we play that inconsistent going forward. Nix rallied us at the end, but Boobie Whitlow imo was offensive mvp. The guy is clearly our best back with his ability to lower the shoulder or make something out of nothing. O line was terrible until we wore Oregon down, then we starting dominating. We wont wear down the likes of Uga, Bama, Lsu, etc so Gus has to has to HAS TO find a way to diversify our passing game and give Nix easier throws. We still barely use the middle of the field when passing and I don't recall us throwing to the tight end. Where was Jay Jay Wilson. All I read about was how he was going to give us this new dynamic element in the passing game. 

54 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

It was a great win but Nix has a long way to go.  41% completions for 177 yards and 2 INT.  

I will say that his 2 interceptions were his fault, but I’m not going to blame the kid for the 41%. The offensive play calling for most of the game asked him to force the ball to 1 guy. There were no easy passes. It seemed like all he was asked to do was throw wheel routes and post routes. Let’s also not forget that our offensive line utterly failed at protecting him on those long pass plays. You diversify that route tree a little more and Bo absolutely had the ability and moxy to shred Oregon.

4 minutes ago, AuCivilEng1 said:

I will say that his 2 interceptions were his fault, but I’m not going to blame the kid for the 41%. The offensive play calling for most of the game asked him to force the ball to 1 guy. There were no easy passes. It seemed like all he was asked to do was throw wheel routes and post routes. Let’s also not forget that our offensive line utterly failed at protecting him on those long pass plays. You diversify that route tree a little more and Bo absolutely had the ability and moxy to shred Oregon.

The commentators mentioned that he played in a more complex passing system in high school.

1 minute ago, dyehardfanAU said:

The commentators mentioned that he played in a more complex passing system in high school.

Yea and that sad. How hard is it to throw in a slant, or drag, when drawing up plays? The day we trot out a game plan that includes those kind of passes, along with the ones we do, we are gonna be amazing.

His 4th down scramble may have been his best play and the plays where he was smart enough to throw the ball away showed some real maturity.  He was pulling that team together on that last drive too.  He never panicked. 

Well done Bo.

Don’t just put this on Bo, he made the plays when they mattered but The whole defense came up big and the oline’s run blocking is what kept us in the game 

7 hours ago, aucom96 said:

It was a great win, no doubt, but I wouldn't say historic.

Maybe not historic for Auburn overall, but definitely historic for Auburn coached by Gus.  First time he has won a game at Auburn after trailing by more than 7 points at halftime.  That is historic and hopefully a good sign moving forward.  We do have to come out better prepared.  Oregon had a great game plan to neutralize our defensive front to start the game.  Fortunately, Steele adjusted and we basically shut them down the rest of the game. Special teams coverage is HORRIBLE and has to improve quickly.

How loud is Jordan-Hare going to be when they announce his name pre-game next week?  

This thread proves my point.

I can just picture some of you cats after Punt, Bama, Punt. "We looked AWFUL for 58 minutes! We didn't even score offensively! It was a good win BUT. This team has a LOOOONG way to go."

7 hours ago, Sizzle said:

Don’t just put this on Bo, he made the plays when they mattered but The whole defense came up big and the oline’s run blocking is what kept us in the game 

Absolutely. The defense made some absolutely incredible plays too. Stopping the Oregon player an inch before the sticks, then stuffing them on 4th down. Never quitting. Man. What a performance.

So many good things to say despite the horrendous start. Linebackers did not play well at start of the game they made some bad reads. They improved as the game went on. They have talent but need this baptism by fire. DB's played really well on the whole. Other then the one RPO run for big gain the D basically shut down the Oregon running game. Oregon is a really good team with an awful lot of talen1eted players most teams will have trouble with them beating them was an accomplishment.

Our O-line was very good at times and very bad at times they need to be more consistent. Oregon has a very good and experienced front 7 which is part of the reason the O-line was not dominant. Our runners run hard need to improve in pass blocking. They showed more patience as runners this year as they waited for holes to develop or adjusted the run to a slightly different hole. Reminded me a little of KJ.

Nix is talented and gutsy but he made some Freshman mistakes not just the interception but in sometimes not moving is RB from one side to another to cover where Oregon had overloads. He will get better from game to game. I was impressed by his swag even when things were going bad. For those who said he was similar to Stidham as a dual threat RB it is not even close he is much faster than Stidham and more decisive when he decides to run. He had a few run reads when I think he could have had some big gains if he had kept the ball as Oregon was biting on the middle runs and yet Boobie and Kam still managed good gains.

Gus managed a balance of RB carries until Boobie got hot then he kept Boobie in. Even with that Boobie only had 24 carries. Until Boobie got hot others got touches. I understand going with a hot hand, so those on the board complaining about number of Boobie carries I think you are wrong.

12 hours ago, dyehardfanAU said:

It was a great win but Nix has a long way to go.  41% completions for 177 yards and 2 INT.  

You nailed it here. Major props to Bo for gutting out this win. What the rah rah fans don't want to understand is that if the numbers you posted above don't get better, this is what the rest of the season will look like: We beast the 3 cupcake teams on talent alone, along with Arky, Ole Piss, and State.  The other 5'games against our ranked opponents: ATM = loss, LSU = Blowout loss, Uga = Blowout loss, Bama = Blowout loss. That is facts

16 minutes ago, ArgoEagle said:

You nailed it here. Major props to Bo for gutting out this win. What the rah rah fans don't want to understand is that if the numbers you posted above don't get better, this is what the rest of the season will look like: We beast the 3 cupcake teams on talent alone, along with Arky, Ole Piss, and State.  The other 5'games against our ranked opponents: ATM = loss, LSU = Blowout loss, Uga = Blowout loss, Bama = Blowout loss. That is facts

This team still can improve alot from yesterday.  i hope it happens sooner than later.    

Archived