confrontation with reality

doverstutts

12 hours ago, Texan4Auburn said:

Stidham wasn't Baker Mayfield 2017 leading the nations best offense. OU actually quit scoring for the most part actually in the second lol:

Also SEC defenses were not that good, ask Lincoln:

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidching/2018/07/05/even-if-lincoln-riley-is-correct-about-georgias-defense-stats-say-he-is-not-so-what/#386e9e573523

My Texas grad gf and I were at a OU couples watch party for that.... good times... very entertaining.

There’s points being made here but I’m not sure how they oppose the ones I made lol. Like the Stidham thing...I never said that JS would’ve made that offense as good as Baker (and there certainly shouldn’t be an implication on your side that Baker made that offense), just that it would’ve been more like what he’s used to 

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, keesler said:

I watch a lot of other college level offenses consistently put an effective and productive offense on the field

Yep...me too but against other teams with who knows what kind of offense.     JMO but the Oregon defense was better than we thought ….and Cristobal knows AU and against a freshman QB was able to take the middle away.   I believe the theory is that to open up the middle you have to spread the defenders out....which we tried to do with passes and wide runs.  And to push them back you have to go deep.   We had Hastings open for a TD earlier and a few other open passes across the deep middle were overthrown that could have been big yardage.   Those were on Bo but I don't fault a young QB for missing them.....so you just keep on trying....JMO

29 minutes ago, AU64 said:

JMO but such a nebulous comment.....improve how?     make more yards?...or what.  That seems like such a cheap complaint with no alternative to offer.   So we should throw more passes over the middle...but can you be sure the QB can make the throws?  or the receivers run the routes....or catch the ball.   I know I"m old fashioned but I still believe that when you throw the ball beyond the LOS there are two good possibilities for a negative result.    Does not seem reasonable that you can see another team's offense and think that AU could run that same offense with the same result.  

As I noted, Jerry Jeudy is gonna make anyone's passing offense look good.   And why did Oregon throw mostly 3-5 yard passes when they had an NFL QB?  

There are actually quite a few successful NFL offenses who do that, then open it up with a big play. The patriots live off those type of plays. 

2 minutes ago, DAG said:

There are actually quite a few successful NFL offenses who do that, then open it up with a big play. The patriots live off those type of plays. 

IF it is so easy or so assured why can't all NFL offenses do what the Pats do?  

Or why can't every college offense look like Oklahoma?     Watch their plays and put them in your playbook and your team can also make about 500 yards of offense a game...    :dunno:

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Or why can't every college offense look like Oklahoma?     Watch their plays and put them in your playbook and your team can also make about 500 yards of offense a game...    :dunno:

Never said it was easy . Just saying, NFL teams absolutely play pitch and catch like that. It sounded like you were trying to discount him as an NFL QB because Oregon chose to do that.  Patriots are doing that exact same thing with JS. Tons of slants for him. You seem to be aggrandizing examples due to criticism of Gus, which some is absolutely fair. 

Just now, DAG said:

Never said it was easy . Just saying, NFL teams absolutely play pitch and catch like that. It sounded like you were trying to discount him as an NFL QB because Oregon chose to do that. You seem to be aggrandizing examples due to criticism of Gus, which some is absolutely fair. 

Well maybe....primarily blaming the coach for not using him well.  As noted, he had three completions for a total of less than 10 yards on one series.    I would be tempted to call them "stat builders'  but rush or no rush, I was not too impressed with the Oregon QB....he had some open shots over the middle that he missed and unless he steps up his game, he won't be a #1 pick...first round maybe because of size and arm....but :dunno:

And I was defending AU's offense......and what we can or should be expecting from a freshman QB.  Someone asked before the game if we would be happy with Bo if he had 3 INTs and 3 TDs.....it wasn't like that....but 2 INTs.....?

My view at this point:     " Just win baby "

Just now, AU64 said:

Well maybe....primarily blaming the coach for not using him well.  As noted, he had three completions for a total of less than 10 yards on one series.    I would be tempted to call them "stat builders'  but rush or no rush, I was not too impressed with the Oregon QB....he had some open shots over the middle that he missed and unless he steps up his game, he won't be a #1 pick...first round maybe because of size and arm....but :dunno:

And I was defending AU's offense......and what we can or should be expecting from a freshman QB.  Someone asked before the game if we would be happy with Bo if he had 3 INTs and 3 TDs.....it wasn't like that....but 2 INTs.....?

My view at this point:     " Just win baby "

He did use him well, especially considering the fact they had a couple starters from their Wide Receiving corps out. He had a very efficient stat line against arguably the best defense he will face all year. So, yes defend Auburn, but let’s not just make stuff up. 

11 minutes ago, AU64 said:

I think we can all agree at the end of the day lack of offensive production is what has held Auburn back for years now.  Some criticism is warranted, and folks are entitled to explore the possibility of what the AU could be if our coaches were willing to expand their offensive options.  We all feel like the staff needs to diversify the schemes and hopefully the next two opponents till allow them to try some different tactics. 

I want to see what these players can do while the whole crew is healthy and ready to bust it wide open! :cool:

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

and Cristobal knows AU and against a freshman QB was able to take the middle away

Nobody takes the middle away except for Gus. Teams have been daring us to throw there for years now and we just don't do it. We did in the 2017 UGA and Bama games and look what happened. Outside of that it's been missing. Often times there's a halo in the middle of the field. No defenders, no receivers.

DCs abandon that area because they know Gus won't make them pay for it. What Gus doesn't seem to understand is that by forcing defenses there everywhere else will also open up as well.

21 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Nobody takes the middle away except for Gus. Teams have been daring us to throw there for years now and we just don't do it. We did in the 2017 UGA and Bama games and look what happened. Outside of that it's been missing. Often times there's a halo in the middle of the field. No defenders, no receivers.

DCs abandon that area because they know Gus won't make them pay for it. What Gus doesn't seem to understand is that by forcing defenses there everywhere else will also open up as well.

There's that predictability again.

Gus is never going to run the Air Raid like Riley or Leach will. We've known the guy for a decade, in his heart of hearts he wants to run a downhill power run based offense with play action mixed in when teams start crowding the line. The second half on Saturday was vintage Gus with punishing runs that wore down Oregon. We also need to remember this was a tough game against a good team and we were starting a true frosh at QB. The offense in six weeks will look different than what we saw last week as Nix adjusts to the speed of the game.

Archived