confrontation with reality

doverstutts

I just realized that AU does not have it so bad with our present HC.   We could do much better, but damn, we could do much worse.  I did not want this guy to be hired, I did not want him retained when him and Sexton took advantage of a ********* president, with no insight from an AD at the time, but after listening to UT and USCe fans today, I guess I might as well face reality and leave well enough alone.   What I have listened to today is scary, and I did not realize that every Saban assistant  but one (K. Smart) has been a disappointment as a HC.   I did a lot of message board reading today, also.   Any chance of winning a championship is slim with Malzahn, but the reality is that there are just not many quality hires that ANY school could make right now.  I guess I will just have to live with Malzahn and his goofy-assed playcalling and decision making.   It could be Pruitt,Muschamp, Strong,Taggart, etc.  Its hard to believe how Vol fans have lost all hope, and I mean every single one.  Real eye-opening day for me.  I won't ever trust Malzahn, but I will learn to live with it

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have to agree with you. We could be in a lot worse situation. It did look like Gus reviewed his offense and added some elements from 2009 again. He also got rid of some of his bbq bunch in an attempt to upgrade his coaching staff. If he could get a decent OL coach we could be Ina good spot. 

1 hour ago, doverstutts said:

I just realized that AU does not have it so bad with our present HC.   We could do much better, but damn, we could do much worse.  I did not want this guy to be hired, I did not want him retained when him and Sexton took advantage of a ******* president, with no insight from an AD at the time, but after listening to UT and USCe fans today, I guess I might as well face reality and leave well enough alone.   What I have listened to today is scary, and I did not realize that every Saban assistant  but one (K. Smart) has been a disappointment as a HC.   I did a lot of message board reading today, also.   Any chance of winning a championship is slim with Malzahn, but the reality is that there are just not many quality hires that ANY school could make right now.  I guess I will just have to live with Malzahn and his goofy-assed playcalling and decision making.   It could be Pruitt,Muschamp, Strong,Taggart, etc.  Its hard to believe how Vol fans have lost all hope, and I mean every single one.  Real eye-opening day for me.  I won't ever trust Malzahn, but I will learn to live with it

This has been my thing for a good while. Who would you realistically hire?  Average to slightly above most years, with occasional challenging for SEC and national championship is better than the cellar where UT and other programs you mentioned are. Might not be the penthouse but at least we’re not in the basement.

1 minute ago, Jgarrett7 said:

This has been my thing for a good while. Who would you realistically hire?  Average to slightly above most years, with occasional challenging for SEC and national championship is better than the cellar where UT and other programs you mentioned are. Might not be the penthouse but at least we’re not in the basement.

We're in purgAUtory.

13 minutes ago, dyehardfanAU said:

We're in purgAUtory.

If this is what our purgAUtory is, we are gonna be ok. Tennessee’s purgatory seems wayyyy worse.

I'm for Gus because I think he can win 10 games a year. As long as he figures out someone must be able to develop a HS qb into an SEC qb. I'm still not sure if Nix arrival prevented us from Kiehl Frazier 3.0 or if JG is actually prepared to take over if needed. 

But I dont understand the thought process that a school can only hire a coach that has already won titles. Dabo's first HC job is Clemson. Lincoln Riley first hc job is Oklahoma. Smart's first hc job is Georgia. So yeah I'm pretty sure AU can hire a talented assistant too.

Who are you, and what did you do with Dover?

Seriously, though, that's what I've been saying for years. Could we do better? probably. Might be a HC, might be an assistant, but we damn well better figure out the who and how BEFORE we fire the coach.  Rolling the dice isn't a 50/50 proposition in a normal case, and these dice are D20s.

There's just not a lot out there outside of hanging out in an alley in Norman with a blackjack and a giant burlap sack.

Of course UT got who they could get at the time. South Carolina knew exactly what they were getting in Muschamp. No one to blame but themselves.  I do understand the UT fan reaction but USCe, no way. At least UT has tradition. This is about as good as history has been for USCe before and after Spurrier. If they are melting down they are true snowflakes. I've done my share of complaining but truthfully some of the best advice I ever got was "better not complain about someone, you haven't seen their replacement yet". I wish I would actually follow that advice more. :-\

29 minutes ago, auskip07 said:

most teams are 1 bad coaching hire away from being in the shape tennessee has been in the last 11 years. 

Yes that's my fear. If the guy fails miserably okay, but you better have a suitable back up ready to go. 

29 minutes ago, AUBourne said:

I'm for Gus because I think he can win 10 games a year. As long as he figures out someone must be able to develop a HS qb into an SEC qb. I'm still not sure if Nix arrival prevented us from Kiehl Frazier 3.0 or if JG is actually prepared to take over if needed. 

But I dont understand the thought process that a school can only hire a coach that has already won titles. Dabo's first HC job is Clemson. Lincoln Riley first hc job is Oklahoma. Smart's first hc job is Georgia. So yeah I'm pretty sure AU can hire a talented assistant too.

Yeah but those guys are far and in between. Clemson also showed patience with Dabo before he finally gotten over the hill. 

2 minutes ago, gr82be said:

Of course UT got who they could get at the time. South Carolina knew exactly what they were getting in Muschamp. No one to blame but themselves.  I do understand the UT fan reaction but USCe, no way. At least UT has tradition. This is about as good as history has been for USCe before and after Spurrier. If they are melting down they are true snowflakes. I've done my share of complaining but truthfully some of the best advice I ever got was "better not complain about someone, you haven't seen their replacement yet". I wish I would actually follow that advice more. :-\

Look at the last dozen or so major hires, and go back a couple hires at some schools  and check how things are going....Ark, ole miss, mizz , Tenn, FSU, va. tech, and on it goes.  JMO but odds of getting a worse coach than Gus are MUCH higher than finding a better one.

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Look at the last dozen or so major hires, and go back a couple hires at some schools  and check how things are going....Ark, ole miss, mizz , Tenn, FSU, va. tech, and on it goes.  JMO but odds of getting a worse coach than Gus are MUCH higher than finding a better one.

FSU is God awful. You can had UM to the list too. No reason those schools should be struggling. 

3 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I agree.  UT does actually have winning tradition so, frankly, I'm shocked (and it takes a lot to shock me) that they've been this bad for over a decade now.  Scary to think that COULD happen at Auburn too.

USCe, on the other hand.... people forget, the first Bowl victory IN THEIR HISTORY was in 1995. ....think about that for a minute.

And anybody who wanted Will Muschamp at USCe as their HC after seeing the offensive garbage he produced at Florida (at FLORIDA) is getting what they deserve.  I loved him as Auburn's DC, but that's what he is.....a DC.

1 minute ago, DAG said:

FSU is God awful. You can had UM to the list too. No reason those schools should be struggling. 

UCLA already eager to cut Chip loose....who saw that coming?

8 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Mikey's gonna love this thread.

There's so many different names pop up once the season starts....many probably don't know the Legend that is.... Mikey!

Hey, I am not proclaiming GomerGus to be a great coach, I am afraid that we would end up worse off than we have it now.  Who would have thought C. Kelly would turn out a UCLA products that is crawling with maggots?  I said that if he won 8 games this year with the circumstances, I would get off of his butt.  He will ( I think) unless there is another UT fiasco in his system.  I just hope he doesn't try to coach Bo up himself

This has been on its way for awhile...

life.jpg

9 minutes ago, DAG said:

This distribution of talent among colleges now is very one sided....a few teams are gathering up the cream of the crop and the other top teams getting a few top player but not enough to turn out truly good teams.   Distance from top of DIV 1 to even the middle has gotten to be a problem.....the teams in the middle of the SEC are no better than some of the better than the lower Div 1 conferences.   SEC east is pathetic and several in the west are barely better. …and ACC is the same with most of the league barely competitive with Clemson. 

Schools can hire the coaches but turning the corner against bama, Clemson and a handful of powerhouses is a tough process....schools all over the place are finding themselves worse off when they make coaching changes. 

If Dabo and Riley played our schedule every year, what would their record be?  I’m sure they would have success, but not 12 win a year success. 

There is no doubt the staff can recruit on a consistent basis. Our defense is very good.  Our running game is better than average. He needs to bring in a passing game guru and develop a play calling strategy that doesn’t seem hit and miss   

27 minutes ago, AU64 said:

UCLA already eager to cut Chip loose....who saw that coming?

If I remember correctly, some on here wanted him(that’s not a knock on anyone. You just never know)

2 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

If I remember correctly, some on here wanted him(that’s not a knock on anyone. You just never know)

That's just the point....some have wanted Petrino, Chip Kelly, Fuente,  the guy at Minnesota, Morris at Arky and the list of "hot" coaches goes on...and most landed at jobs where no matter how well they did at their previous job, they could not make the impact that the PTBs were expecting.. Picking coaches is worse than picking HS quarterbacks...JMO

The thing that gets many people ticked is the sheer $$ we are paying. It’s one thing to say he’s not bad and we could do worse, it’s another thing to pay that same person top 10 (or better) money. 

Archived