Bo's gunslinger approach

WFE12

Bo Nix is a gunslinger, and Gus Malzahn knows there’s a ‘fine line’ to walk with that approach

Tom Green -al.com

Bo Nix isn’t afraid to take risks.

The true freshman quarterback showed as much in his first career start, when he completed 13-of-31 passes for 177 yards, two touchdowns, a pair of interceptions and, most importantly, helped orchestrate Auburn’s biggest comeback victory in nearly a decade. He showed savviness to his game, in spite of some first-half struggles, and some awareness that is typically reserved for more veteran players — particularly when the Tigers ran their 2-minute offense.

“He’s got some gunslinger in him,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. “There’s no doubt. I think that’s a good thing.”

Nix’s willingness to take chances, for better or worse, is an intriguing trait for the 19-year-old quarterback. Sure, that may make him susceptible to some mistakes — such as his two first-half interceptions against the Ducks — but it also gives him the kind of confidence in high-pressure situations that he exhibited late in the game as the Tigers erased a 15-point deficit over the game’s final 20 minutes.

During that comeback, Nix completed seven of his final 11 passes for 86 yards and a pair of touchdowns. The first of those came on a heads-up play from 11 yards out, when he noticed Oregon only had 10 defenders on the field, snapped the ball and immediately found a wide-open Eli Stove for a touchdown, the first of Nix’s career.

On Auburn’s final drive, Nix completed 4-of-6 passes for 53 yards, including the game-winning 26-yarder on a 50/50 ball to Seth Williams with 9 seconds remaining on the clock. He also extended the drive with a gutsy scramble on fourth-and-3 that Malzahn described as savvy.

“Love it,” Williams said. “Love it. Love passing quarterbacks. They can run it, too. Like, you can pass and run the quarterback? When he runs it, his eyes are going to be downfield but he’s going to know when to tuck it.”

Nix may have had an overall uneven performance against Oregon—it was Auburn’s worst single-game passing efficiency since the 2017 Clemson game—but his effort showed a grittiness that’s difficult to teach. His playing style brought to mind the likes of Brett Favre, Baker Mayfield, Kyler Murray and Russell Wilson — all quarterbacks who have mobility and the ability to scramble to buy time while still looking to make plays downfield, unafraid to take risks and give receivers an opportunity to make plays.

“I love that,” running back Boobee Whitlow said. “I love that, you feel me? We can go out here and do what we do. We can go out here and play like we played in the backyard again. Ain't like he was scared or timid. We were just playing, like brothers playing together. Just like we played pickup tackle back home, that's how it felt like we were playing out there. And, hey — I love Bo.”

While Malzahn believes Nix’s “gunslinger” mentality is a good trait to have, it’s also one the seventh-year head coach has to be cautious with. There’s a balance to be found between embracing and encouraging that mindset and making sure Nix knows when to rein it in, especially as a true freshman acclimating to college football — and the daunting schedule that awaits No. 10 Auburn in SEC play, with five teams currently ranked in the top-12 of the AP poll remaining on the Tigers’ schedule.

“There’s a fine line,” Malzahn said. “He’s pretty tough on himself. The mistakes he made, he’s trying desperately to not make the same mistakes again. I think that’s a really good sign. I think he handled himself for the first start — I don’t know how many true freshman quarterbacks made their first start in an environment against an opponent like that and a game like that and everything that went with it. If you look back, I think you’d say overall that it was a good first start to get the victory.

“The 2-minute drive at the end, I think that was really important. The 4th-and-3, knowing where the sticks are, getting it by whatever — that much — overall, he did what he had to do to help us win.”

I don't think I'd call him a gunslinger personally. He just had one underthrown ball and a pass behind the receiver. To me he throws like a quarterback that's actually been well coached and has lived through adversity before (didn't seem to let the int's rattle him). In fact, his ability to roll away from pressure and throw the ball away sometimes is such a relief. Can't remember the last time we had a quarterback throw it away when they should so many times.

Anyways, I do enjoy that Bo seems like the type to keep firing no matter what. I don't think he'll be interception prone because it's not that he made bad decisions, he just didn't get the ball to the correct spot, and one of the interceptions he shouldn't have been rolling out to the left to throw across his body.

11 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I don't think I'd call him a gunslinger personally. He just had one underthrown ball and a pass behind the receiver. To me he throws like a quarterback that's actually been well coached and has lived through adversity before (didn't seem to let the int's rattle him). In fact, his ability to roll away from pressure and throw the ball away sometimes is such a relief. Can't remember the last time we had a quarterback throw it away when they should so many times.

Anyways, I do enjoy that Bo seems like the type to keep firing no matter what. I don't think he'll be interception prone because it's not that he made bad decisions, he just didn't get the ball to the correct spot, and one of the interceptions he shouldn't have been rolling out to the left to throw across his body.

I agree. JS8 would have been sacked 10 times Saturday. There is a reason you can count on one hand the number of sacks Bo has taken. I would agree I don't think he is Brett Farve gunslinger like...where will throw a bunch of picks, but I do think he has confidence in himself and will keep firing. I think we got a good one boys.

That last throw was a bit Favre-like. His left foot was planted to the side and his right foot moved back a little. There was no stepping into that throw at all. It was all arm. 

18 minutes ago, gr82be said:

That last throw was a bit Favre-like. His left foot was planted to the side and his right foot moved back a little. There was no stepping into that throw at all. It was all arm. 

I meant more decision making rather than actual throwing. Farve was never scared to throw into Triple coverage. That last throw he also avoided the rush by stepping up and delivered it on time. Had he taken time to get his feet set maybe that ball gets picked. Who knows. Glad it worked out. War Damn Eagle

BoSeth and BoMatt are Sulli-Beasley waiting to happen and by that apparent overstatement I mean Eli's interview about Bo's post-huddle communication skills is HUGE info about a 1st game QB. Seth Wms & Matthew Hill are outstanding at high pointing the ball - look out!

8 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

BoSeth and BoMatt are Sulli-Beasley waiting to happen and by that apparent overstatement I mean Eli's interview about Bo's post-huddle communication skills is HUGE info about a 1st game QB. Seth Wms & Matthew Hill are outstanding at high pointing the ball - look out!

I guess I see both of them more like Lawyer Tillman in the high pointing ability and Hastings would be more along the lines of the guy who Bo could just throw it and let him run under it. I like the combo names but I'd make a slight change, BoHill and BoWill. :)

Bo Nix will be an Auburn legend – AGREE – One game? A legend? Yes, he will be one of the best quarterbacks to ever play for Auburn and go down as one of the SEC’s best ever when all is said and done. This kid has intangibles we loved that pushed him to five stars and he’s going to be a special talent.

Mike Farrell at Rivals 

It was a mixed bag for Nix, but I think we all saw the potential there. A lot of the issues with over/underthrown balls is just adjusting to game speed and knowing your receivers. He made a lot of nice throws too - downfield to Hastings, Joiner on the wheel route, and a couple there to Seth and Sal on the sideline that were beautiful. If we give him some QB keepers now and then to keep defenses honest, we could have a VERY balanced offense going forward as we work out the timing and kinks over the next two weeks.

10 hours ago, aucanucktiger said:

YES!  Mathew Hill is a tremendous athlete and can highpoint the ball also!  Has great balance and vision - sure wish he would get all of Canella's snaps and Canella get his.  Hill ( I believe) would have fought for the ball when Canella just drifted and let the underthrown ball get picked.   That's my strong belief.

Remember Hill's recruitment was down to Auburn or Clemson - he is going to be great if he can get some reps during a game.  

16 hours ago, gr82be said:

I like the combo names but I'd make a slight change, BoHill and BoWill. :)

Best nickname I’ve heard this week is from Cam’s Instagram: “Papa Bo”!

ebay already selling bo gunslinger t shirts........

To me gunslinger has a strong arm and tries to force throws into coverages when not advisable.  Did not see any of that Saturday but watching him in high school he did have a slight tendency to force the ball in coverage.  Cant do that in this league.

18 minutes ago, aubiefifty said:

ebay already selling bo gunslinger t shirts........

Lord, please don't let it be a family member doing this. 

1 minute ago, gr82be said:

Lord, please don't let it be a family member doing this. 

they looked legit............ and they got with a number ten and bo knows..

On 9/5/2019 at 12:48 PM, Zeek said:

Glad to see a QB finally throwing the ball away early or as necessary to avoid sacks/losses.

3 hours ago, Carnell said:

To me gunslinger has a strong arm and tries to force throws into coverages when not advisable.  Did not see any of that Saturday but watching him in high school he did have a slight tendency to force the ball in coverage.  Cant do that in this league.

Did you see his first interception?

1 minute ago, Carnell said:

Yea I saw it.  That interception occurred because he threw it slightly behind the receiver.

While the receiver was double covered. The ball was forced into a coverage he should not have thrown into, hence a gunslinger. Gus has been good at taming the young gunslinger that he has had (Nick Marshall, looking at his JUCO record), I just hope he doesn’t break Bo’s spirit while doing it.

8 minutes ago, I_M4_AU said:

While the receiver was double covered. The ball was forced into a coverage he should not have thrown into, hence a gunslinger. Gus has been good at taming the young gunslinger that he has had (Nick Marshall, looking at his JUCO record), I just hope he doesn’t break Bo’s spirit while doing it.

A quarterback is going to have to throw into double coverage with narrow windows.  For instance in the A&M vs Bama game of 2012 Manziel made a completion to a reciever that was covered underneath by cornerback and on top by the safety the window was narrow and any mistake made by Manziel would be an int or incompletion.  But if Manziel made a good throw it would be a completion.  By gunslinger I mean a play like in the 2013 auburn georgia game that won the game.  That pass was thrown into DC without a prayer of being completed except by a mistake by the db.

While I admit on the pass by Nix the window was narrow the pass could have been completed with a good pass by Nix.  

To be the legend most people are saying about Nix he is going to have to complete balls in these narrow windows and recognize narrow windows vs no windows.

1 minute ago, Carnell said:

A quarterback is going to have to throw into double coverage with narrow windows.  For instance in the A&M vs Bama game of 2012 Manziel made a completion to a reciever that was covered underneath by cornerback and on top by the safety the window was narrow and any mistake made by Manziel would be an int or incompletion.  But if Manziel made a good throw it would be a completion.  By gunslinger I mean a play like in the 2013 auburn georgia game that won the game.  That pass was thrown into DC without a prayer of being completed except by a mistake by the db.

While I admit on the pass by Nix the window was narrow the pass could have been completed with a good pass by Nix.  

To be the legend most people are saying about Nix he is going to have to complete balls in these narrow windows and recognize narrow windows vs no windows.

Perhaps we define gunslinger differently.  I think it is an attitude not what type of throws he makes.  Agree to disagree in not. 

Archived