Texas A&M's Matchups AT A GLANCE

Malcolm_FleX48

The inside run game will not work and won't be effective if we try it. However, I would love us try and trap their nose once or twice to make him hesitate a little. 

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, AuMarine said:

@Malcolm_FleX48 excellent post as always.. What do you think about our receivers against their Dbs? 

Really its going to come down to the other players on the field rather than the receivers. Assuming they're playing a harder cover 3 and decide to match up at the LOS, the only thing we will be limited to are 4 verts and probably getting a bit of yardage on slants. Williams is the only receiver that physically would be able to outmatch their corners and possibly safeties as Cannella is prone to drops and I think they'd be placing their 6'4 corner on him to balance things out in terms of height. 

Depending on how good they play, the 10 yard sail route might be an option, but that is only if the DBs aren't having a good time driving on the ball at the break. Its going to be anyone's guess because there hasn't been a secondary this physically gifted that we've seen. Not to mention their 3rd LB is really a 6'3 safety playing a Rover Safety so the matchups aren't even a sure thing if we go 3-4 wide. I've got little to no solution right now because of Auburn's style and the limited sample size we have from this new look TAMU def.

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

The inside run game will not work and won't be effective if we try it. However, I would love us try and trap their nose once or twice to make him hesitate a little. 

The counter-trap runs will be at least marginally effective because it will hopefully neutralize the NT assuming he doesn't cause a pileup of bodies at the point of contact. That is my fear because of how reliant Gus already is on that. I have no doubt that they've got film and Elko has been planning something for this just due to the fact that we like to run inside the tackles so much. 

Perimeter running will end up being our savior like it was in the unexpected iron bowl win. But that requires using Shivers and other backs to really get outside in a hurry. We're playing a 4-2-5 disguised as a 4-3 so even in their base, they're more than capable of handling the run and speed. Its going to be interesting to see.

7 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Really its going to come down to the other players on the field rather than the receivers. Assuming they're playing a harder cover 3 and decide to match up at the LOS, the only thing we will be limited to are 4 verts and probably getting a bit of yardage on slants. Williams is the only receiver that physically would be able to outmatch their corners and possibly safeties as Cannella is prone to drops and I think they'd be placing their 6'4 corner on him to balance things out in terms of height. 

Depending on how good they play, the 10 yard sail route might be an option, but that is only if the DBs aren't having a good time driving on the ball at the break. Its going to be anyone's guess because there hasn't been a secondary this physically gifted that we've seen. Not to mention their 3rd LB is really a 6'3 safety playing a Rover Safety so the matchups aren't even a sure thing if we go 3-4 wide. I've got little to no solution right now because of Auburn's style and the limited sample size we have from this new look TAMU def.

The counter-trap runs will be at least marginally effective because it will hopefully neutralize the NT assuming he doesn't cause a pileup of bodies at the point of contact. That is my fear because of how reliant Gus already is on that. I have no doubt that they've got film and Elko has been planning something for this just due to the fact that we like to run inside the tackles so much. 

Perimeter running will end up being our savior like it was in the unexpected iron bowl win. But that requires using Shivers and other backs to really get outside in a hurry. We're playing a 4-2-5 disguised as a 4-3 so even in their base, they're more than capable of handling the run and speed. Its going to be interesting to see.

If we don't use shivers the outside run game won't save us at all

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

The inside run game will not work and won't be effective if we try it. 

They were talking about this on the radio today. TAM brings extra defenders in the box and forces you to beat them throwing. Look what they did against that Clemson run game. 

Just now, cole256 said:

Right. This time its going to need to be some extreme speed and shiftiness. 

I don't even thing Joey could pull the ball and get decent yards outside against this D, though I may be wrong on that. 

Just a Look at their DBs:

Sam/Rover

image.png

Left Cornerback:
image.png

Free Safety:

image.png

Strong Safety:
image.png

Right Cornerback:

image.png
True Slot Corner:
image.png

1 hour ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Right. This time its going to need to be some extreme speed and shiftiness. 

I don't even thing Joey could pull the ball and get decent yards outside against this D, though I may be wrong on that. 

Just a Look at their DBs:

Sam/Rover

image.png

Left Cornerback:
image.png

Free Safety:

image.png

Strong Safety:
image.png

Right Cornerback:

image.png
True Slot Corner:
image.png

Yeah it's something when the coaching staff realize that athletes exists that are big AND fast LOL. Unfortunately we take the video game approach of thinking they have to be one or the other

6 hours ago, bigbird said:

I'm betting the over on how many times we try it.

The inside run I mean.

1 hour ago, Eagle-1 said:

I'm betting the over on how many times we try it.

The inside run I mean.

More or less than the number of 1st downs?

10 hours ago, bigbird said:

A lot of malzahn's route combos take advantage of CV 3. I think Gus will attempt to stress the LBs in the flats and hopefully take advantage of the middle zone. I would expect to see some of these combinations. Curl/flat with a seem out of trips, corner/deep out from twins, levels, double outs, smash, 4-vert, double post, and depending on the cushion of the corner some quick outs and digs. I would also expect to see the drag that Hasting and canella caught over the middle in the middle zone. Our backs could have big days receiving if not used in protection.

Who added plays to Malzahn playbook? That's way too many routes. 

I think on offense our speed is going to be key. We have some of the fastest guys in the country. With flash and stove in and  shiver as well. They have to spread out to cover the outside sweeps if  they do then Whitlow and Kam will have a big day in the middle. I think to we can take the top off the defense as well. Defensively Mond doesn’t perform under pressure well. Clemson put some pressure on but not as much as we can. Look for Joiner to have a big day 😊

14 hours ago, cole256 said:

We also need his OLs not to get pushed back into the space where he's supposed to be running laterally to get to the edge. 

Our secondary will get tested. TAMU enjoys running quick slants with their big receivers. I'd align the corners with slight inside leverage to try and take them away.  We'll need to be able to jam them and disrupt their routes and timing. I'd expect a few DPI and holding calls for the secondary Saturday. 

33 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Our secondary will get tested. TAMU enjoys running quick slants with their big receivers. I'd align the corners with slight inside leverage to try and take them away.  We'll need to be able to jam them and disrupt their routes and timing. I'd expect a few DPI and holding calls for the secondary Saturday. 

I hope we've learned to fall on the sword since Oregon. 

Do you think Pappoe gives us meaningful help? Or Britt for that matter. Seems like those guys might actually be better suited to this kind of attack than most LBs we've rolled the last few years. 

36 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Can’t wait to see Noah battle Saturday. 

13 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Do you think Pappoe gives us meaningful help? Or Britt for that matter. Seems like those guys might actually be better suited to this kind of attack than most LBs we've rolled the last few years. 

I think Pappoe has the potential to, McClain as well. 

3 minutes ago, bigbird said:

I think Pappoe has the potential to, McClain as well. 

I shouldn't forget about McClain. IIRC he's the one with the reputation for the right brand of violence. 

12 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I shouldn't forget about McClain. IIRC he's the one with the reputation for the right brand of violence. 

He's the LB that has impressed me the most this year

26 minutes ago, bigbird said:

LBs are definitely going to need to get involved in coverage. I think that A&M's Running game will be effective this game, but they're still a shell of their former selves so its definitely going to be more pertinent for them to be very coverage savvy. 

1 minute ago, Barnacle said:

Man I hope not. If they can run the ball, they will win this game. 

Well they'll have the advantage of being at home and against our defense. If we don't have Brown to help set a strong edge, then it may be a bit harder of a battle to stop them. The more I go back and watch Spiller, the more impressed I get. 

He might be a bit better than Corbin in all honesty. And God forbid Kibodi actually get good this game.

1 hour ago, bigbird said:

I forget did I make him or the corner my guy this year....I know I've been talking about McClain since he signed he was my papoebefore papoe

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We also need his OLs not to get pushed back into the space where he's supposed to be running laterally to get to the edge. 

And if they for any reason are able to stop our run with just 4......that would mean game over

1 hour ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

LBs are definitely going to need to get involved in coverage. I think that A&M's Running game will be effective this game, but they're still a shell of their former selves so its definitely going to be more pertinent for them to be very coverage savvy. 

They've not really been tested in coverage but when they have been they've been slow to the curl/flat a few times. The recover quickly but I expect them to get burned by a rpo slant during this one.

Archived