Texas A&M's Matchups AT A GLANCE

Malcolm_FleX48

9 minutes ago, Barnacle said:
25 minutes ago, bigbird said:

a rpo slant

What's that?

An optional play-action pass that can, based on the read of the cushion and leverage of the Corner + Fullness of the box + behavior of the edge player (if its built to have the option for the QB to pull it), can either be a Slant Pass, Zone Run to the RB, or QB Pull. 

Basically the new in vogue thing in the NFL that originated from college.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply
17 minutes ago, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

An optional play-action pass that can, based on the read of the cushion and leverage of the Corner + Fullness of the box + behavior of the edge player (if its built to have the option for the QB to pull it), can either be a Slant Pass, Zone Run to the RB, or QB Pull. 

Basically the new in vogue thing in the NFL that originated from college.

I appreciate the explanation, but my post was intended as sarcasm. As Auburn fans, we don't see too many RPO slants!

Just now, Barnacle said:

I appreciate the explanation, but my post was intended as sarcasm. As Auburn fans, we don't see too many RPO slants!

They may not be RPO Slants but we have seen more players running through the middle this season.  Now the question is whether Bo is not seeing them due to misreads or is it by design as the play is never really intended to go in the middle?

3 minutes ago, McFU said:

They may not be RPO Slants but we have seen more players running through the middle this season.  Now the question is whether Bo is not seeing them due to misreads or is it by design as the play is never really intended to go in the middle?

Since all we got is hope... I'm hoping that there is a plan to eventually make those throws. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Since all we got is hope... I'm hoping that there is a plan to eventually make those throws. 

We have seen a few of these throws made, the one to Hastings on the seam route comes to mind.  However, most of the time they result ina  dropped pass or blocked/tipped at the line.  I wonder if that factors into the decision not to throw them as often?  I would think you could negate the tipped passed by rolling Nix out in the same direction as the intended target going across the middle to find a better passing lane.

Match-up-wise:

• I think we will attack their linebackers with outside runs, including qb runs, and short throws ( a lot of side to side actions). 
  • Mond is turnover prone and I think we are good enough to win a tight game if we don't beat ourselves; I think Mond is more likely to cost them the game than Bo Nix is to cost us the game
  • I think Bo Nix's legs will be important in this game.
  • A&M has a true freshman guard that will be trying to block Brown, that Oline struggled to run vs Clemson's D-line (ours is better this year)
  • A&M's secondary is suspect with multiple new starters that Clemson exploited and I think Hastings and Stove will find opportunities down the field
  • Much like the Oregon game, I think our Defense will keep us in the game and the offense can do enough to get a close W.

2 minutes ago, McFU said:

We have seen a few of these throws made, the one to Hastings on the seam route comes to mind.  However, most of the time they result ina  dropped pass or blocked/tipped at the line.  I wonder if that factors into the decision not to throw them as often?  I would think you could negate the tipped passed by rolling Nix out in the same direction as the intended target going across the middle to find a better passing lane.

AUNerd actually broke this down on College and Mag. He looked at a play where Bo ran a nice keeper to the right. Just an ocean of space because the DE crashed, somebody bubbled out of the backfield and pulled the nickel with him, and then other guys running routes cleared out the LBs (could have that backwards on the nickel and LBs). If any of those guys stays home, there's an open receiver and a very, very wide throwing lane because he's rolled out. So... what you said. 

Shout out @ellitor for hipping the board to AUNerd. One of the best AU follows out there. 

9 minutes ago, McFU said:

Roll outs aren't good to do often. 

When you get into a habit of moving the QB around, you shrink the field to one half. It makes the DB's job tremendously easier because you've given everyone less ground to cover. If he tries to throw back across his body, its even worse because those have a high rate of interception. 

23 hours ago, bigbird said:

The inside run game will not work and won't be effective if we try it. However, I would love us try and trap their nose once or twice to make him hesitate a little. 

I'd also like to see a wham concept from shotgun.

For those that don't know, a "trap" uses a pulling lineman to create a leverage advantage on a d-lineman

trap.PNG

Concepts like this one are favorable when an  o-line is having trouble getting a push because unlike zone blocking, it doesn't require the OL to overpower their defender. Instead, the OL just needs to get in the way of the DL and just let them take themselves out of the play. In the chart above, DL3 will shoot up field after the snap only to be blindsided by the pulling guard. Meanwhile, the playside G has a size advantage on the Mike LB, which should provide an alley for the RB to run. 

d676c72167c24291baddd170f0fc1753_crop_ex

A Wham concept looks similar to a trap in that they both are based around players "getting in the way" rather than overpowering, but in this case they use a TE or HB to provide the initial block on the Nose

Slide1.JPG

Notice here that the playside DE is not blocked. The play is designed to freeze that player with a read from the QB, which allows both the RG and RT to get a combo block on the Will backer. Most likely, coaches would teach this play such that the RG would pass the Will off to the RT so that the RG can climb to the 3rd level and make a block on the FS. Jim Harbaugh used this concept extensively during his time in San Francisco 

GoreWham2EZ500px_medium.gif

Notice here how the line never really gets any push against the DL, because that isn't the point. Rather, they are all working to position themselves between the DL and the ball carrier. Urban Meyer used the same concept back in the 2015 CFB playoffs to neutralize an aggressive Oregon defense:

21.gif

1 minute ago, atl-tiger said:

I just remember Myles Garrett destroying these plays multiple times when we played A&M in '16.

That is one of the risks of a play like this- leaving that playside DE unblocked can be fatal if the DE is talented enough to recognize what's happening and crash the play.

8 minutes ago, AUEngineer2016 said:

That is one of the risks of a play like this- leaving that playside DE unblocked can be fatal if the DE is talented enough to recognize what's happening and crash the play.

Yup, luckily DEs like him don't come around often against us.  I agree with what you're saying though.

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

When nix overthrew jay jay in the corner of the end zone, Malzahn appeared to flip his lid - we had Malik crossing the middle with no one within 10 yards.

like u said ... I hope we make those throws.  I think nix hasn’t seen them.

29 minutes ago, mustache eagle said:

When nix overthrew jay jay in the corner of the end zone, Malzahn appeared to flip his lid - we had Malik crossing the middle with no one within 10 yards.

like u said ... I hope we make those throws.  I think nix hasn’t seen them.

Oh wow. That's actually really encouraging on the Gus part!

Oregon ranks 17, A&M 25 and Tulane 33 in defensive yards per game allowed (so I'm not sure A&Ms defense will be much better than what we have already seen personnel-wise).

1 hour ago, atl-tiger said:

I just remember Myles Garrett destroying these plays multiple times when we played A&M in '16.

Some of the worst calls I've seen. And everyone acted like he blew up our line to get sacks when all we did is let him go free in our backfield. Infuriating! lol

From all the discussion it sounds like Kaleb Kim is going to have a hell of a day (and season, let's be honest) and we need to create something out of nothing to get an inside run game going.

Auburn football in a nutshell, ladies and gents! Just run baby! 😁

He wasn't left free exactly. It's a scheme used quite often in college and the NFL in which the opposite side guard pulls to trap or kick out the end. Unfortunately for us during that game, Chavis had Garrett attacking the mesh completely disrupting the angle the guard had to get to Garrett. If Garret had done what most DEs do he would've been picked up about 1-2 yards behind the LoS. As is with his speed and that scheme, we had no chance to block him.

If executed correctly, it leaves a huge lane in the c-gap. Everyone blocks down, the tackle climbs to the LB and the backside guard seals the DE.

In this example, the tackle pulls to long trap the DE.

In this one the guard pulls to long trap the DE

On 9/18/2019 at 9:02 AM, Malcolm_FleX48 said:

Really I was talking about Kibodi. He is taking over for Corbin. From what I've seen about Kibodi, he has some electricity to his playstyle and for a bigger back is actually pretty dang nimble when you factor in that the dude is 6'2 and 220lbs. And his backup Isaiah Spiller has even more wiggle and can turn it on. 

Spiller is their starter. 

7 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Rpo, uno, or UFO. We don't see slants period

5 hours ago, JwgreDeux said:

Oregon ranks 17, A&M 25 and Tulane 33 in defensive yards per game allowed (so I'm not sure A&Ms defense will be much better than what we have already seen personnel-wise).

Oregon and Tulane played against us.....

30 minutes ago, cole256 said:

Oregon and Tulane played against us.....

Yup, hard comparison to make this early in a season. BTW, we managed 383 (177 p,  206 r) yards against Oregon and 379 (207 p, 172 r) yards against Tulane.

16 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Houston had 373 yards against Tulane, in first half. Ouch 

And this is why I posted this bit on the "Bo Nix's Accuracy" thread:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"My analysis on us utilizing Bo is as such:

1.) We're out of time for him to really "Adjust" the past 3 games were adjustment games. Oregon was the opportunity to get his lumps out of the way and see where his deficiencies lie. Tulane was an opportunity to scale down the competition a bit and work the kinks out. Kent State was the tune-up game to allow him to fully put those tweaks made in week 2 to work. Its conference play time.

2.) His DOWN THE FIELD ACCURACY  hasn't improved significantly which is his biggest need considering his upside is his ARM TALENT. If you have a QB that needs to develop a trait in order for you to maximize his potential and fully develop, you don't start throwing him into the fire where he has to use INSTINCT rather than sound coaching just to survive. That's how you end up with QBs developing weird habits like White & Stidham's weird fall-away follow through motion. You allow them to train in a controlled environment where they can focus on the specifics of what is missing in their game. If you're telling me that we are going to ride a QB's LATENT arm talent in an offense where there is nothing to set up situations for him to utilize and develop the requisites for that arm talent meaningfully: Subpar Pass Protection, Basic Routes, Premier Pass Rushing League, Deep Threat only WRs, NO TEMPO PASSING, Non-Existent TE Play ETC then I think that's a recipe for disaster. 

- I'll go back to the Kent State Game because that should be the culmination of his progress and subsequently where he would get the largest yardage. We knew he had a few struggles in accuracy in Tulane so Kent State would have been the opportunity to see a marked improvement against lesser competition.

-A 10 Yds per attempt average tells the tale of the fact that (Sans a flea flicker in which you have an uncovered receiver streaking downfield which reduces the YPA to roughly 7 if removed) this accuracy is basically taking what's given + yards AFTER the catch by the WRs. If you're taking what is given to you in an offense that's main passing game strength is hitting SHOT PLAYS down the field, then a competent defense will simply eliminate those shot plays. Pair that with an average offensive line in pass pro and you're not looking at QB play that's going to win you games against opponents who have had a chance to watch film. (Oregon did not have this opportunity.) That basically means the coach will need to scheme your completions which is not our strength obviously. If your QBs upside is passing, then they need to be averaging at least 11-12 yards per attempt because then you're moving the chains through the air. If its below that, then the risk of turnover compared to the reward of passing is a recipe for a losing turnover differential. Our WRs also aren't built to really function as completion machines or get yards after the catch. They're all HOMERUN THREATS. That requires good accuracy when the defense knows that you're a 50-50 ball offense in the air. 

- This same Kent State team that held us to roughly 160 yards,(111 yards if you subtract the flea flicker) gave up 284 yards with an average of 18 yards to another True Freshman QB in Jayden Daniels of Arizona State. Kent State does not have a good pass defense at all and if we were only able to put up 111/161 (depending on the stats you use to evaluate that) against a poor passing defense, imagine what that will look like against SEC competition with good prep time. That's not a good passing offense when you're using a pass-first methodology and a QB who's strength is his arm. Sure there is a rosy picture being painted about development, but as I said earlier, the training wheels are off and when you're trying to learn in an environment that is not conducive to learning, it tends to give you a complex about things.....

3.) He is going against a defense in which his greatest helper: THE RUN GAME may be taken away from him. This is going to force him to have to play hero ball and young gunslinger QBs + Hero Ball = Turnovers galore = Possible Confidence hit. Look at Baker Mayfield in his NFL games. He has been consistently trying to do too much and has thrown turnover after turnover this season. The difference is that Baker may have the swagger to brush off those interceptions but they still affected him. Also that swagger was built through seasons of tough college games and good core around him. What is Auburn without its run game (Which Gus is already doing a wonderful job of neutering.) Heroics work 100% of the time in movies and documentaries, but failed careers are made of heroic ambitions in football. 

Texas A&M turned Travis Etienne into a 3.3 yard per carry rusher. That's a Top Draft Pick at RB being erased from the game. Lawrence had to win this game with his arm. I like Whitlow, but imagine what Elko is already thinking having watched film on our backs. Think about what other DCs will think when they get an opportunity to gather meaningful information and analytics from our future games.

Point:

There is a LOT to be excited about for Bo. The kid has the makings of a great, but that excitement and optimism can ultimately sour and ruin great potential if not held in check and tempered with reality. Look into the bigger picture of the numbers and understand that Gus has a lot of work to do with Bo if he is going to ride Bo through the rest of the season and this work involves Gus doing what he dislikes doing the most: CHANGING."

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Here's the rub for me though...
image.png

20 minutes ago, ValleyTiger said:

Houston had 373 yards against Tulane, in first half. Ouch 

EXACTLY.....but for whatever reason people are thinking we should be grateful as if we're lucky to be 3-0 right now......as if we've went through a gauntlet. I'll be happy like that if we beat lsu, uga and bammer

Archived