Talking All Things Florida (Threads Merged)

Barnacle

7 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

So you’re saying a night game=day game?

I don’t care about the heat, it won’t be much different than anything that our players haven’t seen or at least practiced in.

A night game in any stadium is always going to be more raucous than any day game. 

For a top 10 matchup at home they could play this game at 7am and it’d be going nuts. This is the biggest game Florida has had at home since Mullen has gotten there.  Most other times I’d agree with the night game part but I’m not sure it will matter Saturday.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
15 hours ago, Mikey said:

Correct, the nine interception game was at Auburn, 1969. AU won that one 38-12. I think LB Sonny Ferguson got four of them himself. After that game Florida soph sensation WR Carlos Alvarez made his famous statement, "Football is like a rose, nice but not essential." That seemed to reflect the differing attitudes of the two teams.

The 1970 63-14 game in Gainesville is my all-time favorite game vs UF. Auburn's WR combo of Beasley and Bressler were simply faster, by many steps, than anybody Florida had out there. Pat Sullivan got the ball to them often and it was a runaway track meet.

James Owens also returned a punt for a TD in that game I remember it well.

Even up, I think we win handily. I have confidence in our defense to hold them under 20.  I think our offense will get some big plays and score more than that on their admittedly tough defense.  The problem with playing such a tough schedule is that you can't ever lose the turnover battle.  A few of those can kill us.  I'm thinking 31-17 if turnovers aren't a factor.

20 hours ago, Barnacle said:

Link

1960s-Homecoming-Uniform-Reveal-1024x576.jpg

Throwback_helmet.jpeg

Throwback_uniform.jpeg

throwback_pants.jpeg

Throwback_cleats.jpeg

These are pretty dope if you ask me. Too bad they won't make any of them fast enough to catch Anthony Schwartz.

Was this their uniforms the last time they actually beat Auburn?

8E0202BE-3950-4D05-8409-C5877915278B.gif

10 hours ago, sevenlee36 said:

Must be a mistake there is a basketball player on the uniform, has nobody noticed?

The man played two sports and football wasn’t one of them lol (that being said if I were a player I’d love to be wearing the jump man shows all the time).

Florida and the Swamp are going to be fired up. I think Mullen can sell this game as the one FL can use to show the country what they are all about. I suspect the atmosphere will be wild, especially with college game day being there. I think they will take away the run game early as our OLine won’t be as crisp against their defensive front. Bo is going to have to come out sling it with accuracy rival of his this past weekend. I think if he can do that you’ve got a situation similar to TAMU. Come out early, lay two scores on them, suck the atmosphere right out of that stadium and hold on until the end. Either way we’re about to find out what our offense is really about and they are about to find out what Trask is really about. 

All that being said, on paper Florida is not better than Auburn on any side of the ball. Let’s hope our boys play up to that. 

9 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

So you’re saying a night game=day game?

I don’t care about the heat, it won’t be much different than anything that our players haven’t seen or at least practiced in.

A night game in any stadium is always going to be more raucous than any day game. 

This! It was almost 100 for the MSU game. Sweated my butt off. This game will be a good test but i am tired of the media and even our fans talking like we didn't beat good defenses lately. All we heard about was TAM defense front 7 being animals and us not being able to do what we want in the run game. Then the same with MSU and how their run defense is even better than TAM and their secondary are ball hawks. Now neither of those defenses are any good and we're going to face an amazing defense the likes we've never seen before. 

I'm not going to take anything away from FL. They're a good team. But we have faced good defenses, been tested, and passed with flying colors. We've been on the road, played in loud stadiums, and matured. Lets see how it plays out, but I'm excited. 

I think we are better than florida in every position except maybe the defensive secondary.  However the front seven of florida is good so I dont know either team can run the ball consistently.  However, we may can take advantage of the superoity of our receivers.  If that happens the game wont be close unless turnovers keep it close.  However if the gators secondary can hold up against receivers then the game should be relatively low scoring.  Then you are looking at turnovers and special teams as maybe the deciding factors in the game.  We dont do well in turnover margin that worries me.

Mullens knows spread option offenses so I think auburn maybe should just hand the ball off to the back and let him pick the holes instead of bellying to the back in zone reads, counter and trap plays to slow the defensive pursuit down.  Since Florida is good at getting to the quarterback pass patterns should be used which gets the ball out of the quarterbacks hands quickly.

15 hours ago, doc4aday said:

I consider him "The Hunchback of Notre Dame". He should have gone to Notre Dame instead of Florida so that it would be a perfect match!

you are always too nice doc.

We will put a beating on that quarterback, but I think the same thing could happen to ours. If our line shows up, this game isn't even close, but if Bo is running for his life, we will be in a low scoring slugfest.

As others have said, I'd rather be playing against Franks. Our defense would score at least twice. 

I was at that 1994 game and sat by myself about six rows behind the Gator band.  The drive to win the game went the opposite direction.  What a comeback.  I had be humble when I made it back to my Gator hosts it was not easy.  All that being said I think we win by around 10.

I feel surprisingly calm going into this game. They have a pretty good defense statistically, but the only decent team they've played is Miami (UK has not looked the same with their back-up in the game). I've watched them 2-3 times this year, including a game with their new starter at QB. They don't run the ball well at all, and the new QB made a lot of mistakes against a meh Tennessee defense. I think their game plan and our game plan defensively will be similar. Make the offense 1 dimensional and try to confuse the young quarterback. It is a road game for us, but their QB hasn't seen anything close to our defense yet. I trust Bo to make less mistakes than their guy. I also trust our offense to have slightly more success on the ground compared to Florida. Honestly, I think Texas A&M has looked like a better team so far this year (aside from last week at Arkansas), so my gut makes me expect a similarish kind of game. Still, I'm hesitant to expect domination like we've seen the last two weeks. I'm predicting that win handily, but not in a blowout like last week.

I feel good about this one and it couldn't fall at a better spot on the schedule. I have heard many say Kyle field is huge but not loud and the Swamp is. Wes Byrum did an interview with AL.com about his game winning FG in '07 and he said when he lined up his shoulder pads were vibrating because of the noise. That is ridiculous. 

Why is is in a great spot? This is a game AU can win. A win in a extremely hostile environment will help get them ready for the trip to LSU with the confidence that they can handle it. UF's D has been very good and a big part of that is their pass rush that produces sacks. If Nix does anything well it is avoid the sack. AU is tied for 21st in sacks allowed at just over 1 per game. This is a great opportunity for this team. 

AU win 38-20. Only saying 38 because Carlson deserves at least a chance at one since we haven't needed him in a couple of weeks. 

21 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

do we squeak by? do we blow them out? do we get our butts handed to us? cuss and discuss........

I'll take a stab at it:

Auburn DL vs Florida OL - Big advantage, Auburn

Florida DL vs Auburn OL - Advantage, Florida

Auburn LBs vs Florida QB/TEs/RBs - Big advantage, Auburn

Florida LBs vs Auburn QB/TEs/RBs - Advantage, Florida

Auburn DBs vs Florida QB/WRs - WRs is a draw, QB - Advantage, Auburn

Florida DBs vs Auburn QB/WRs - WRs is a draw, QB - slight advantage, Florida

Special teams - push

I don't see this being a high scoring deal for either team as both defenses are quality units, but I think Auburn's is a bit stronger and Florida's offense is just so-so.  Barring some big turnover advantage for one team or the other I think Auburn's strengths vs Florida's weaknesses are further apart than Florida's strengths and our weaknesses.

27 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

I'll take a stab at it:

Auburn DL vs Florida OL - Big advantage, Auburn

Florida DL vs Auburn OL - Advantage, Florida

Auburn LBs vs Florida QB/TEs/RBs - Big advantage, Auburn

Florida LBs vs Auburn QB/TEs/RBs - Advantage, Florida

Auburn DBs vs Florida QB/WRs - WRs is a draw, QB - Advantage, Auburn

Florida DBs vs Auburn QB/WRs - WRs is a draw, QB - slight advantage, Florida

Special teams - push

I don't see this being a high scoring deal for either team as both defenses are quality units, but I think Auburn's is a bit stronger and Florida's offense is just so-so.  Barring some big turnover advantage for one team or the other I think Auburn's strengths vs Florida's weaknesses are further apart than Florida's strengths and our weaknesses.

Some other tidbits:

So far we've faced vastly different levels of competition.  Total offense rankings of Florida's opponents:

Miami (FL) - 64th
Kentucky - 88th
Tennessee - 104th
plus two FCS opponents

Average ranking:  99th (assigning 120th place ranking to the two FCS schools)

Now look at Auburn's:

Oregon - 33rd
Tulane - 35th
A&M - 58th
Kent State - 77th
Miss. St. - 79th

Average ranking:  56th

Same thing happens when you look at the defenses Florida's offense has faced:

Miami (FL) - 13th
Tennessee - 42nd
Kentucky - 75th
plus two FCS teams

Average ranking (FCS = 120th):  74th

Now Auburn's:

Oregon - 10th
A&M - 26th
Tulane - 44th
Miss St. - 77th
Kent St. - 118th

Average ranking:  55th

Even given the tougher competition, Auburn's offense is still ranked ahead of UF:   36th in total offense to Florida's 54th.  And Florida's defense is ranked 17th to Auburn's 33rd, not as big a difference as you'd think given the two FCS teams they played. 

1 hour ago, BJCrawford said:

For those who have experienced both the A and M away crowd and the Florida crowd, are they similarly difficult or one more difficult to play at than the other?

IMO Ben Hill is much louder than Kyle field. I sat in section Egypt for the 02 OT game & when it was rocking I swear the upper deck was moving. It's more closed in, closer to the field & extremely steep.

Defense should eat Trask alive. Their leading rusher has 198 yards... 

If our offense can put up four scores we win.

We play three of the best defenses in the country this year and TAMU’s wasn’t bad either.

The concern is Gus’ sporadic performance against Dan Mullen. We’ve mostly had close games against him. Pretty sure they’re 3-3 against each other? Correct me if I’m wrong.

5 hours ago, Win4AU said:

For a top 10 matchup at home they could play this game at 7am and it’d be going nuts. This is the biggest game Florida has had at home since Mullen has gotten there.  Most other times I’d agree with the night game part but I’m not sure it will matter Saturday.

Yup. 1994 was a 1PM EST kick and Fyffe noted all game how defeaning that place was. And we got up 10-0 very quickly in that game. Didn’t matter. 

At the 2002 game, after Duval's kick got blocked, that's the loudest I've ever heard a football stadium. I was on the front row, right behind our bench. You could see guys on the bench flinch to cover their ears. Like I said, a friend of mine was a foot away trying to tell me something. I couldn't hear a word. 

They kicked the crap out of us in 2000, but it was such a runaway that it never got as loud as it was in 2002.

That crowd will matter on Saturday. Maybe we beat them anyway, but our guys will feel that crowd noise. It's just different.

16 hours ago, around4ever said:

Well then, we'll just have to take the crowd out of the game.  Except we still need the customary shots of coeds in short jean shorts and cutoff T shirts. 

That is what happened in aggieland....stadium was about half empty by the time they began their little rally.  Need a quick start.

58 minutes ago, Zeek said:

The concern is Gus’ sporadic performance against Dan Mullen. We’ve mostly had close games against him. Pretty sure they’re 3-3 against each other? Correct me if I’m wrong.

Eh.. Mullen arguably had better talent (offensively at least) at MSU and we had some sloppy games against them. I don't see the same happening with this team as long as our RBs hold on to the football.

I believe Florida tries to take the edge game out early so we need to fake some sweeps/power runs and hit some 5-10 yard routes to make them back off. If we can do that and force them to play the field more on defense we'll win handily. We are definitely the better team on offense and up front on the defense. Safety play will be key to stopping their drives.

With that crowd and their DL they’re going to be coming at Bo all game. He’s really going to have to stay composed in that pocket. Our OL is really about to get tested. WR’s are going to have to make plays too because they have good CB’s. I think they’re DL averages the most sacks per game in the SEC by a wide margin

On offense they’re going to get the ball out of Trask hands quickly. He’s accurate so Auburn DB’s better be ready for the challenge 

Archived