Talking All Things Florida (Threads Merged)

Barnacle

I was born in Florida, raised in Florida, and now live in Florida as an adult. I can't even begin to describe how much I hate Florida and their fans. I was in high school with 90% Florida fans during Tebow mania when they won two nattys in football and basketball. It was absolutely unbearable. I was passively a Florida State fan because I couldn't stand Florida fans. I unironically became an Auburn fan the night Tre Smith somersaulted into the endzone. Wes Byrum gator chomping around Florida Field in 2007 was the best thing 16 year old me had ever seen. Their fans were (are?) so arrogant, they absolutely deserved to have someone rub it in like that.

There are many more Auburn grads living in Florida than most people think, nearly everyone I talked to feels the way I do about Florida. We will have a LOT of fans at the swamp on Saturday. Me, my wife, and my dad are all going because we want to see the looks on their faces when we win in their house.

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I was born in Florida, raised in Florida, and now live in Florida as an adult. I can't even begin to describe how much I hate Florida and their fans. I was in high school with 90% Florida fans during Tebow mania when they won two nattys in football and basketball. It was absolutely unbearable. I was passively a Florida State fan because I couldn't stand Florida fans. I unironically became an Auburn fan the night Tre Smith somersaulted into the endzone. Wes Byrum gator chomping around Florida Field in 2007 was the best thing 16 year old me had ever seen. Their fans were (are?) so arrogant, they absolutely deserved to have someone rub it in like that.

There are many more Auburn grads living in Florida than most people think, nearly everyone I talked to feels the way I do about Florida. We will have a LOT of fans at the swamp on Saturday. Me, my wife, and my dad are all going because we want to see the looks on their faces when we win in their house.

Give em a Waaaar Eagle 🦅 for me!

1 hour ago, toddc said:
1 hour ago, AURex said:

Okay, I'm back to the uni's. I'm confused about the jerseys. The legend (center, under collar, says SEC GRADUATE. But of course, how many players have graduated? Actually, WTF does that mean?

And then the logo is what LOOKS LIKE a basketball player going up for a dunk. Who DESIGNED these things?

Weird.

NIKE logo  ??

Can't answer the "graduate" question but as for the logo, it's a branch of Nike that's dedicated to Michael Jordan designs.  It's basically the same thing as Nike manufacturing the "TW" logo products for Tiger Woods.

A different example would be the luxury offshoots of "regular" car-makers.

Lexus = Toyota /Acura = Honda / Infinity = Nissan / Genesis = Hyundai ...and so forth.

2 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

hey man as an aside we need to do something about the changing thread titles. i know when i post threads i try to whittle the title down some but what happens is sometimes we be posting the same articles because the title was changed. i know the board wants things neat and tidy but is that fair to the person who wrote the article?

Changing thread titles has no affect on the authors of the articles. No more so than posting an entire article without posting the links to said articles, which is continually asked but some never post the links.

3 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

too often stuff is moved or dismissed with no explanation which causes confusion

After the same explanation has been given many times to the same group of people it really doesn't need explaining any more.

Titles are either changed because nice, concise titles are preferred when possible or when threads are merged containing the same or similar subject.

59 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Changing thread titles has no affect on the authors of the articles. No more so than posting an entire article without posting the links to said articles, which is continually asked but some never post the links.

After the same explanation has been given many times to the same group of people it really doesn't need explaining any more.

Titles are either changed because nice, concise titles are preferred when possible or when threads are merged containing the same or similar subject.

My bad on not linking threads. I thought it was only when you posted quotes and not whole articles. I’ll put links from now on E.

2 hours ago, tigeraddikt said:

He most certainly did not mean Bobby.

Yes he did. Who else would it be? Terry and his 17 games as a D-1A coach?

Was obvious he was referring to Bobby when I watched it live in 94. Still is today.

21 minutes ago, Viper said:

Yes he did. Who else would it be? Terry and his 17 games as a D-1A coach?

Was obvious he was referring to Bobby when I watched it live in 94. Still is 

I completely disagree with you, but I'm unwilling to dissect it further. War Eagle.

12 hours ago, kennypowers said:

I don't know about media reports, but in my eyes, Stidham was never an Auburn guy, and I feel the team felt that.  Receivers leaving early in the season etc.  This is a unified team this year behind a kid that literally bleeds Auburn.

I just dont know who left because of Stidham though. I think its very evident why NCM left and it had nothing to do with Stidham. Jalen Harris had like 4 receptions in 2 and 1/4 years. You cant just promise a top end talent touches and expect them to stay when that hasnt happened 

6 hours ago, aubiefifty said:

Auburn prepares for Kyle Trask, former Florida backup QB who’s found success

Today 3:37 PM

4-5 minutes

Kyle Trask started out the season unquestionably as Florida’s backup quarterback. Now, as Florida prepares for its first top-10 matchup at home since 2012, Trask is their record-breaking leader and someone Auburn is looking at as a threat that needs to be stopped.

Gus Malzahn said placing pressure on Trask, who has one of the best completion percentages in college football, will be important for Auburn’s success.

“I think that’ll be a big factor in the game — who can make the other quarterback more uncomfortable,” Malzahn said.

Trask, who played in just four college games before 2019, has been pretty comfortable in his two games as a starter — despite the fact that his first college start was also his first start since his freshman year of high school.

Trask was named the Gators’ starter after Feleipe Franks dislocated his ankle against Kentucky. In the four games he’s played in, two of which he’s started, Trask has completed 51-of-66 passes for 647 yards, five touchdowns and two interceptions. His 77.3 completion percentage is the fourth best in the country and the second best in the SEC.

In Florida’s 38-3 win over Tennessee, Trask completed 20-of-28 passes for 293 yards and two touchdowns and two interceptions. Before Emory Jones finished out the game for the Gators, Trask threw three completions in a row.

The next game, the former three-star recruit from Manvel, Texas made school history. Picking up where he left off against Tennessee, Trask opened the game with 15 completed passes in a row. Combined with his final three completions in the game before, Trask had 18 straight completions.

Following the game, Megan Mullen, coach Dan Mullen’s wife, was the first to tell Trask that he — who started the season as backup — had broken Chris Leak’s 2005 school record of 17 straight completions. Trask threw five more times against Towson and finished 18-20 for 188 yards and two touchdowns, which led to his impressive 77.3 completion percentage.

Malzahn said the key to Trask’s success so far is his ability to quickly make decisions and carry them out.

“He’s in rhythm,” Malzahn said. “He gets rid of the ball. He knows where to go with the ball. He doesn’t hold it a long time.”

He also has a bunch of weapons around him, especially in the wide receivers. Florida has six receivers averaging more than 30 yards per game, including Van Jefferson who is averaging almost 50 yards per game.

“I’m impressed with their receiver group, as a matter of fact very impressed,” Malzahn said.

Despite the inspiring story and impressive stats, Auburn’s defense is not one to back down easily.

“We’ve seen that type of player before, a quarterback that can run and pass,” safety Jeremiah Dinson said. “I know coach Steele have a good game plan this week.”

In fact, having Trask back there leading the Gators might work out more favorably for the Tigers defense, defensive end Marlon Davidson said. Franks was more of a dual-threat quarterback than Trask, who looks to pass more than he looks to keep the ball. In the four games Trask has played in, he’s rushed just nine times and thrown the ball 66 times compared to Frank’s 21 rush attempts in four games.

Mullen told reporters Monday that with Auburn’s talented pass rushers, Trask will have to make good reads and know when to keep the ball versus when to throw it away.

Oregon’s Justin Herbert was the last quarterback the Tigers faced that didn’t run much against them. Since the opening game against Oregon, Auburn’s defensive line has been focused on containing scrambling quarterbacks.

“That actually makes me a little more happier, having a guy that wants to sit back there and throw the ball,” Davidson said. “That leads to more sacks for me.”

This is honestly the biggest pile of 💩 I've ever read. Just pick stats that you want, leave out others, then say AU could win by 14. Oh, and UF could win by 14 also. Does this guy write horoscopes too? It's exactly what this sounds like. Total bs.

Auburn vs. Florida features many storylines

Updated Oct 01, 2019; Posted Oct 01, 2019

7-9 minutes

It might not be Auburn-Alabama, but week six’s match up of Auburn and Florida has elements of a rivalry.

It’s been eight years since the teams last met, but there’s history that’s not forgotten and present day connections that make it personal.

The game, which features a meeting between two top-10 teams and a single-digit spread, already has the elements that make it the marquee matchup of the weekend, but here are the things, both past and present, that tie the two together:

The competition:

When the game kicks off at 3:30 ET in Gainesville, the two teams will be playing in the only top-10 matchup of the weekend and one of two games between ranked opponents. Both teams are coming into the game undefeated.

It’s the first time since 2012 that Florida has hosted a top-10 matchup. It’s also the first time the two teams have played since 2011.

The game will feature a battle between a true freshman quarterback, Auburn’s Bo Nix, and a backup quarterback, Florida’s Kyle Trask, who came in after the starter was injured and made school history.

It’s also Florida’s homecoming game. Traditionally, teams in the SEC choose schools they can beat easily as their homecoming opponents. Safety Jeremiah Dinson, who is from Miami, Florida, chose not to comment but defensive end Marlon Davidson did after shaking his head a few times.

"Words can’t even explain it, but I mean, it’s another game,” Davidson said.

The game has drawn ESPN’s College GameDay to Gainesville. It’s the second time the show will be on site for an Auburn game and the first time it will be there for a Florida game.

The series:

Auburn has an all-time record of 43-38-2 against Florida

In the past decade, Auburn is 1-0. On October 15, 2011, the Tigers beat the Gators 17-6. The teams have not met since.

Since 2000, Auburn is 4-3 against Florida.

Auburn’s head coach Gus Malzahn was there the last time the two teams played in 2011. Florida’s head coach Dan Mullen was not. Mullen was there for the two games in 2006 and 2007. Malzahn was not.

Malzahn is 1-0 against Florida as a head coach. He never faced the Gators as Auburn’s offensive coordinator.

Dan Mullen has never coached against Auburn as Florida’s head coach. He faced Auburn twice as the offensive coordinator under Urban Meyer at Florida. He lost both times.

Auburn has not been to Gainesville since 2007.

Only one player on Auburn has ever visited The Swamp. Offensive lineman Jack Driscoll made his first start there as a redshirt freshman for UMass.

The memories:

In 2006, Auburn faced an undefeated Florida team at home. Mullen, the offensive coordinator at the time, said he remembers how Auburn’s fans packed the place. The Tigers came away with the 27-17 win. It was the Gator’s only loss that season, and they went on to win the national championship.

The following year, Florida faced Auburn again, but this time the Tigers had to face them on their own territory, in the place known as “The Swamp.” For the entire first half, the Tigers shut down the Gators. But the Gators made a second half comeback. It came down to a last minute field goal, and the Tigers silenced the crowd with a 20-17 win.

The respect:

In 2005, a high school coach went to visit Florida and talked schemes with the offensive coordinator. The coach’s innovation struck the coordinator, and the coordinator’s class struck the high school coach.

Now, as the former high school coach brings his top-10 Auburn team to Florida, the former offensive coordinator, who is now head coach of the Gators, is once again impressed with his creativity.

“He has systems that he runs and he knows and he’s not afraid to create outside the box within his system, put his players in position to make plays,” Mullen told reporters on Monday. “He has ways to get guys the ball… I like Gus a lot.”

The respect is reciprocated.

Malzahn called Mullen one of the best coaches in the league.

“I’ve got a lot respect for Dan — the way he goes about it. I think he’s one of the good guys and does things right.”

The tweets:

Dinson said that he and the players he knows on Florida haven’t talked about the upcoming game. But some of his teammates have taken to Twitter — like wide receiver Anthony Schwartz, who tweeted that “it’s personal,” which set off a firestorm of responses on Twitter. Running back Shaun Shivers, who is from Fort Lauderdale, retweeted it and replied “Definitely personal bra.”

When Dinson heard what Schwartz tweeted, he laughed a little and said “You could say that.”

Here are some of the conversations taking place on social media about the upcoming game:

Florida Evan McPherson, who is from Fort Payne, Alabama retweeted the team’s tweet about the game.

Jeremiah Moon, who is from Hoover, Alabama, won defensive lineman of the week. He is the first non-Auburn player to win it since Week 1. His other teammates from Alabama gave him a shoutout.

Former Auburn receiver Ryan Davis, who is from St. Petersburg, Florida, is not happy he missed out on this game.

Thomas Goldkamp, who covers the Gators for 247Sports, said Kadarius Toney, who’s from Mobile, Alabama, would be back for the game Saturday, which set off speculation.

The crossover:

Across the two teams, there are five sets of former teammates that will be facing off against each other. Auburn has 18 players who went to high school in Florida, and Florida has seven who are from Alabama.

Auburn treats every game the same, Dinson said. But this one " “means a little bit more” for himself and the other players from Florida, he said.

Dinson received an offer from Florida and said he almost went there. Nine of Auburn’s players from Florida received offers from Florida and three of Florida’s Alabama players received offers from Florida.

Dinson isn’t one of the players with a former teammate on the opposing team, but he knows some of the Gators. For him and the other players from the Sunshine State, it’s their first chance to play in their home state.

“I was just talking about, like my freshman year, like I was just talking about just playing a Florida team," Dinson said. "And that’s what we’re doing this week. We’re going down there, playing Florida in a real tough environment, in The Swamp. It’s real tough down there to play. But it’s going to be fun.”

Below is a list of the players who will have high school teammates across the field from them Saturday:

American Heritage High School, Plantation, Florida:

AUBURN: Anthony Schwartz, Sophomore, Wide Receiver

FLORIDA: Marco Wilson, Redshirt Sophomore, Defensive Back

FLORIDA: James Houston IV, Redshirt Sophomore, Linebacker

FLORIDA: Tedarell Slaton, Junior, Defensive Lineman

FLORIDA: Andrew Chatfield Jr., Redshirt Freshman, Linebacker

Boone High School, Orlando, Florida:

AUBURN: Devonte Booker, Redshirt Freshman, Linebacker

FLORIDA: Tommy Townsend, Redshirt Senior, Punter

Hoover High School, Hoover, Alabama:

AUBURN: Shedrick Jackson, Sophomore, Wide Receiver

FLORIDA: Jeremiah Moon, Redshirt Junior, Linebacker

Auburn High School, Auburn, Alabama:

AUBURN: Sage Ledbetter, Senior, Kicker

AUBURN: Tommy Nesmith, Freshman, Wide Receiver

FLORIDA: Mohamoud Diabate, Sophomore, Wide Receiver

Sprayberry High School, Marietta, Georgia:

AUBURN: Bailey Sharp, Senior, Offensive Lineman

FLORIDA: Jabari Zuniga, Redshirt Senior, Defensive Linema

I don’t remember much of the 2011 game other than it being awful but this may be the first time I remember Auburn being the favorite since the 80’s?  2011 may be the only other time but for the most part these games have been huge Auburn upsets 93,94,01,06,07

10 hours ago, Dual-Threat Rigby said:

if/when McClain (!!!) or Shedrick Jackson transfers, I pray people dont blame that on lack of Auburn loyalty

Jackson has been hurt and that has affected him being used much, and when he’s healthy I think we’ll see more from him. MClain doesn’t seem to produce when he got chances in the past 

49 minutes ago, toddc said:

Jackson has been hurt and that has affected him being used much, and when he’s healthy I think we’ll see more from him. MClain doesn’t seem to produce when he got chances in the past 

You could name the chances he's gotten on an amputated hand 

15 hours ago, WalkingCarpet said:

Same for me as a kid growing up in AL at the height of da bahr and the 9-game win streak. Close to 100% bammers at school. Our Bo over the Top moment was your Tre Smith moment. It was like the falling of the Berlin Wall. Walking into class the following Monday was like attending a funeral. It was so damn sweet to finally not hear one damn peep from them. Our 1983 Iron Bowl was like your Byrum kick in 2007...reassurance that last season wasn’t a fluke. 

This game and the implications bring up two different scenarios for how past Auburn seasons have played out.  

2017 LSU game.  We all know how that game went.  Definition of Gus Dump.  Ended up being a really good season till Kerryon got hurt but just an inexcusable loss.  Florida is better than that LSU team but Auburn still should be better.

2004 Tennessee game.  I think it was a toss up going in but Auburn embarrassed Rocky Top that night and set the tone for their dominance the rest of the way.  If Auburn can dominate Florida Saturday it could set the tone for the rest of the season.  

I wore an Auburn shirt to work and around town yesterday, I live in Tallahassee. I had two complete strangers come up to me and tell me to go beat that ass on Saturday. I know every game is a "big game," but this one has a lot of people's attention.

Each moment that passes until the game, I just don't see UF having the offensive ability to hang with us.  Shutout on the road?

1 hour ago, kennypowers said:

Each moment that passes until the game, I just don't see UF having the offensive ability to hang with us.  Shutout on the road?

I wouldn't go that far. They do have some talented WRs and we have been kinda suspect in the back end regarding the deep ball. Their TE worries me a bit, but their OL is not good at all so hopefully our DL can find a way to keep pressure on Trask to some degree. If we can consistently stop the run without bringing a safety up I'd feel much better. 

The more confident we get, the more nervous I become. I guess that's a normal reaction and doesn't really mean anything. I just hope Gus has them zoned in on the game and they are not listening to any of the hype. I'll be wearing the shirt that I was wearing when we won the last 2 games. And I'll be in the stands yelling. That's the best I can do. 🙂

7 minutes ago, 3rdgeneration said:

The more confident we get, the more nervous I become. I guess that's a normal reaction and doesn't really mean anything. I just hope Gus has them zoned in on the game and they are not listening to any of the hype. I'll be wearing the shirt that I was wearing when we won the last 2 games. And I'll be in the stands yelling. That's the best I can do. 🙂

Going back to the superstition/tradition thread from right before the season...

I was drinking my Sat a.m. coffee from the color AU mug that matches the game jerseys & my favorite Auburn shirt with mixed results as I mentioned in that thread.

However, last Sat I got up too late to want coffee (so I skipped it) and found my old 2004 SEC Champs shirt and put it on......followed by a fantastic butt-whoopin' of MisStake.

So, I guess I'll be wearing that shirt out now & won't be having my Sat a.m. coffee for awhile. 😉

4 hours ago, Win4AU said:

This game and the implications bring up two different scenarios for how past Auburn seasons have played out.  

2017 LSU game.  We all know how that game went.  Definition of Gus Dump.  Ended up being a really good season till Kerryon got hurt but just an inexcusable loss.  Florida is better than that LSU team but Auburn still should be better.

2004 Tennessee game.  I think it was a toss up going in but Auburn embarrassed Rocky Top that night and set the tone for their dominance the rest of the way.  If Auburn can dominate Florida Saturday it could set the tone for the rest of the season.  

and we embarrassed UT in their stadium!

35 minutes ago, ChltteTiger said:

and we embarrassed UT in their stadium!

Funny story, I actually broke my parent’s loveseat that night, because of that game. I jumped up and yelled, when we scored one of our TDS, and came down and heard it crack! 

On 10/1/2019 at 5:44 PM, aubiefifty said:

‘Words can’t even explain’ how Auburn feels about being Florida’s homecoming opponent

Updated 4:37 PM; Today 4:20 PM

3-4 minutes

Auburn’s first trip The Swamp in a dozen years will have a slight twist.

Saturday’s top-10 matchup between No. 7 Auburn (5-0) and No. 10 Florida (5-0) won’t only mark the renewal of a rivalry that has been dormant for far too long, but it will also mark the Gators’ homecoming game — a fact that didn’t seem to sit too well with the Tigers.

“Word’s cant even explain it, but I mean, it’s another game,” defensive end Marlon Davidson said as he shook his head.

Senior safety Jeremiah Dinson, a Florida native, gave a long pause when asked how he felt about Auburn being Florida’s homecoming game. Then, a few beats later, Dinson simply said, “no comment.”

Many teams follow the practice of scheduling an easier opponent for homecoming, typically boosting the odds of providing the home crowd with a win on the celebratory weekend. At Auburn, for example, the Tigers have not faced a Power 5 opponent for homecoming since 1991, when it hosted Mississippi State.

This year’s homecoming game was in Week 3 against an overmatched Kent State team. Last year, the Tigers hosted Southern Miss. In 2017, it was Mercer, an FCS program. The year prior to that, it was ULM. San Jose State served as the homecoming game in 2015, Louisiana Tech in 2014 and FCS Western Carolina in 2013, Gus Malzahn’s first year as head coach.

Florida has taken a different approach in recent years, though it should be noted that the university determines when homecoming is, and not the University Athletic Association. In each of the last six seasons, the Gators have hosted an SEC opponent for homecoming — and Florida has lost four of those matchups, including each of its last two homecoming games.

Florida fell to Missouri, 38-17, on homecoming last year and to LSU, 17-16, in 2016. The Gators beat Missouri in 2016 and Vanderbilt the year prior, avenging homecoming losses to those two teams in 2014 (a 42-13 Missouri win) and 2013 (a 34-17 Vanderbilt win).

The Gators will be wearing throwback uniforms for Saturday’s matchup against Auburn. It’s something Malzahn was unaware of, but when he was informed, he was quick to point out that he knew it was Florida’s homecoming game.

“We haven’t been homecoming too many times,” Malzahn said. “I’ll tell you (how I feel about it) after the game.”

Indeed, it has been a while since an opponent designated Auburn as its homecoming game. The last time it happened was 2013, when Tennessee hosted Auburn at Neyland Stadium for homecoming on Nov. 9 that season. Auburn responded with a 55-23 thrashing of the Vols.

Auburn is expecting a raucous atmosphere in The Swamp, where the Gators have not lost a game since that homecoming setback against Missouri last season. Florida has won nine in a row overall since then, including five straight at home.

“We're going down there, playing Florida in a real tough environment, in The Swamp,” Dinson said. “It's real tough down there to play. But it's going to be fun.”

Tom Green is an Auburn beat reporter for Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @Tomas_Verde.

I guess them doing this is supposed to offset their typically weak nonconferences? I just dont know why you'd do this knowing its going to force every team to play better. 

Archived