Talking All Things Florida (Threads Merged)

Barnacle

• Replies 257
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, leglessdan said:

I wouldn't go that far. They do have some talented WRs and we have been kinda suspect in the back end regarding the deep ball. Their TE worries me a bit, but their OL is not good at all so hopefully our DL can find a way to keep pressure on Trask to some degree. If we can consistently stop the run without bringing a safety up I'd feel much better. 

Yeah I'm beginning to think that it's Texas A&M all over again with wr's and they will try to force Bo to beat em with his arm.

7 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Yeah I'm beginning to think that it's Texas A&M all over again with wr's and they will try to force Bo to beat em with his arm.

And the A&M game could’ve easily been 42-20 if Bo hit a few big throws. I hope you’re right and UF is dumb enough to load the box 

8 hours ago, WFE12 said:

If you know anything about Todd Grantham, you know he is going to attack the run game.  They will blitz a ton and I expect they will test the middle of the line.  Bo's passing numbers outside the pocket have been very bad so far this season and the middle is the weakest part of the line (particularly Kim and Horton).  If they get pressure from there they will at least get Bo to move out of the pocket. 

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2019/10/auburns-bo-nix-is-in-trouble-against-florida.html

Nothing Surprising here, al.com is and always will be trash.

No.7 Auburn (5-0, 2-0) at No.10 Florida (5-0, 2-0)

When: 2:30 p.m., Sat.

Where: Ben Hill Griffin Stadium, Gainesville, Fla.

TV: CBS

Series: Auburn leads 43-38-2.

Spread: Auburn by 3.

SUPER STAT OF THE WEEK: This is the first Top 10 match-up in The Swamp since 2012.

Joe says: Florida quarterback Kyle Trask saved the Gators against Kentucky, but nothing can prepare him for the defense he’s about to face. There are some absolute stars emerging for these Tigers at every level of the defense. Trask seems up for the challenge, however, after already setting a UF record for consecutive completions (18). Trask is capable in Dan Mullen’s offense, but the Gators’ defense is the strength of the team. Florida is second in the country in sacks (24), and UF’s red-zone defense is stingy (three touchdowns in 13 trips this season). This will be Bo Nix’s most difficult test of the season to date. Mississippi State made Auburn’s offense look better than anyone was expecting, and that worries me. Points are going to be hard to come by in The Swamp for both teams, and that usually favors the home team.

Joe’s pick: Florida 18, Auburn 17

Pro says: For the Gators to win and cover this game they need to play clean, and probably lead the turnover differential by at least two. Most people know about Tigers running back Boobee Whitlow, who already has 463 rushing yards and seven touchdowns. What is emerging is the passing game led by quarterback Bo Nix, who threw for 391 yards and three touchdowns against Mississippi State. They have big-play potential from four wide receivers, who are averaging over 16 yards a reception. Of all the units on both teams, the Florida offensive line is a real weakness and will have trouble opening up running lanes against maybe the best defensive line in the nation. Unless some real strange things happen, I see Auburn winning and covering this battle between two Top 10 teams.

Pro’s pick: Auburn 26, Florida 20

A few glaring issues here. The "Joe" in these predictions felt it was reasonable enough to headline their picks with how Bo could struggle but then brings up how Trask is ready for the challenge? He's played practically no one so far and 18 completions in a row is a "neat" stat not a jaw dropping one. Lots of stat dropping without sharing who they Gators have played so far.

The "pro" picks us but claims Bo threw for more than he did. It should read he totaled 391 yards with two touchdowns through the air and another using his legs/feet. Still picks us to win but with his leadup you wouldn't think it would be by only six points.

I really hope we thrash these swamp lizards.

39 minutes ago, Zeek said:

https://www.al.com/auburnfootball/2019/10/auburns-bo-nix-is-in-trouble-against-florida.html

A few glaring issues here. The "Joe" in these predictions felt it was reasonable enough to headline their picks with how Bo could struggle but then brings up how Trask is ready for the challenge? He's played practically no one so far and 18 completions in a row is a "neat" stat not a jaw dropping one. Lots of stat dropping without sharing who they Gators have played so far.

The "pro" picks us but claims Bo threw for more than he did. It should read he totaled 391 yards with two touchdowns through the air and another using his legs/feet. Still picks us to win but with his leadup you wouldn't think it would be by only six points.

Al.com = bammer Pravda 

35 minutes ago, Zeek said:

I'm more concerned with their edge rushers than the interior. That's something we can afford to give up with Schwartz becoming so effective. Nigh and the OT will have their hands full sealing the edge. If we can continue bending the edge and keep the middle of the field involved in the passing game I don't think they have a chance in this game(UF). Gotta keep from getting behind the chains in this one. It will definitely be a manhood test for our OL.

15 hours ago, AUsince72 said:

So, I guess I'll be wearing that shirt out now & won't be having my Sat a.m. coffee for awhile.

I have a ritual also, but I only use it for what I consider to be games we need that extra mojo to win.  I don't waste it on games I think we should handle without voodoo. (Don't want to overuse it)  So far, I've used it for Oregon and A&M.  Don't plan on using it again until LSU.;)

28 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

I have a ritual also, but I only use it for what I consider to be games we need that extra mojo to win.  I don't waste it on games I think we should handle without voodoo. (Don't want to overuse it)  So far, I've used it for Oregon and A&M.  Don't plan on using it again until LSU.;)

I'll be sure to hit you up LSU week so you can pass along a message to Jobu for me...

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'll be sure to hit you up LSU week so you can pass along a message to Jobu for me...

LOL...it's not actual voodoo, but I don't want to jinx it.  Funny though, a long time ago I got an Akita and named it Jobu. He turned out to be a handful. One of my favorite movies. "I only got one thing to say to you Vaughn..."

I want Seth in a slant with then an option pitch to Schwartz underneath.

Call it the slant read option.

A former Florida fan could be X-factor for Auburn vs. Gators

Updated 11:13 AM; Today 11:05 AM

4-5 minutes

Auburn Football

Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

Anthony Schwartz (5) sprints past Texas A&M defenders for a 57-yard touchdown during Auburn's 28-20 win in College Station, Texas. Todd Van Emst/AU Athletics

During a recent conversation with his mother, Anthony Schwartz told her about something surreal that happened.

It wasn’t about a touchdown or any sort of football accomplishment.

It didn’t have anything to do with track.

It was something that was said on TV, a comment about Schwartz that had added significance for the Auburn wide receiver because it came from one of his all-time favorite college football players.

Tim Tebow.

“Tim Tebow mentioned his name on SEC Nation and Anthony said how weird it was to hear Tim Tebow mention his name,” Schwartz’s mom, Jill, said with a laugh. “That was amazing. It’s all come full circle for him.”

Before the recruiting process and before making the decision to sign with Auburn, Schwartz was a huge Florida fan and grew up idolizing players like Tebow and Percy Harvin.

For a while, Schwartz envisioned one day playing for the Gators and maybe being a Harvin-like weapon for the Gators offense.

Instead, the Pembroke Pines, Florida native landed at Auburn and could now be an X-factor for the Tigers in a massive top-10 matchup on Saturday against his childhood favorite team.

“He’s very excited,” Schwartz’s mom said. “It will be fun.”

Florida was Schwartz’s No. 1 school for much of the recruiting process. It stayed that way until late.

The Gators fired head coach Jim McElwain in late October 2017. Dan Mullen was hired as their new coach in late November. Then, a little more than a month later, Schwartz decided to commit to Auburn.

“I think the decision was more about Auburn (than the coaching change at Florida),” Jill Schwartz said. “They always kept in contact with him. Coach Burns was always great. And they showed Anthony how important he was to them. During the recruiting process, I always told him to keep an open mind. And it was just something about Auburn that — both of us — we just felt it was different and it really and truly felt like home.”

Rather than potentially being a Percy Harvin-like weapon for Florida, Schwartz has instead become that kind of threat for the Tigers.

After being limited earlier in the season while working back from a hand injury, Schwartz has produced touchdowns in each of Auburn’s first two SEC games.

The sophomore accounted for 87 total yards during the Tigers’ win at Texas A&M, including an early 57-yard touchdown on a reverse. Schwartz then had five total touches last week vs. Mississippi State and finished with 92 total yards and a 13-yard touchdown run.

“He’s an explosive football player,” Mullen said. “... He’s a guy that’s a dangerous player every time he touches the ball. He’s a weapon out there on the field. He has position flexibility. You can move him around and do different things, and you also watch him as a real solid special teams player for them. You see him really growing and developing as a weapon on the field.”

To slow down Schwartz, Florida will be depending on a secondary group that includes one of Schwartz’s close friends and a former high school teammate, starting cornerback Marco Wilson.

Facing Wilson will be cool for Schwartz.

Playing in Ben Hill Griffin Stadium will be, too.

It will be one of the former Florida fan’s first trips to that stadium and his first time playing there.

“It would be great (for him to make some plays),” Schwartz’s mom said. “But I think whoever makes a play he’ll be happy as long as we come out with a win.”

Matt Zenitz is an Alabama and Auburn reporter for the Alabama Media Group. Follow him on Twitter @mzenitz

Could we do a double sweep with Schwartz and Stove with Worm at the Wildcat position? SPEED 4 DAYZ.

3 hours ago, Zeek said:

I obviously disagree with the "Joe's" assessment, but why is it trash?  It's a pick em column with a random guy going against a professional bettor.  Who gives a **** what they think?  And picking against AU isn't totally crazy.  We're not huge favorites according to Vegas.

It's posts like this that confirms the little man complex that some of our fans have.  Read it, laugh, move on with your day.

If anything, Al.com has been writing some very glowing articles about AU this season.

Just now, Brad_ATX said:

I obviously disagree with the "Joe's" assessment, but why is it trash?  It's a pick em column with a random guy going against a professional bettor.  Who gives a **** what they think?  And picking against AU isn't totally crazy.  We're not huge favorites according to Vegas.

It's posts like this that confirms the little man complex that some of our fans have.  Read it, laugh, move on with your day.

If anything, Al.com has been writing some very glowing articles about AU this season.

It's the fact that their title had to be "Bo could struggle" as the entire headline for a pick' em column. Is that really the biggest headline for all of the games this weekend? I know it's not a huge deal but it's a rather unrelated title when you consider it's a long article talking about numerous games. Just seems odd that your entire focus on this weekend comes down to Auburn's freshmen quarterback potentially struggling because we're playing a tough defense.

22 minutes ago, Zeek said:

It's the fact that their title had to be "Bo could struggle" as the entire headline for a pick' em column. Is that really the biggest headline for all of the games this weekend? I know it's not a huge deal but it's a rather unrelated title when you consider it's a long article talking about numerous games. Just seems odd that your entire focus on this weekend comes down to Auburn's freshmen quarterback potentially struggling because we're playing a tough defense.

Well, he could.  I don't think he will, but he could and that's what the Joe, who writes/edits the column, based his pick on.  This likely why the headline is that way.

I personally haven’t been this anxious/curious about a game since the 2010 LSU game, which turned out pretty okay for us. Being concerned about that game is what got me interested in football and involved in this forum in the first place.

12 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I still say UCF is the best team in that state 

Maybe last year, I dont think UCF is moving the ball on Florida or Miami. FSU would kill them in a shootout as well. Their defense just isnt very good and their offensive consistency has steadily declined since Frost left

On 10/3/2019 at 11:32 AM, oracle79 said:

On 10/3/2019 at 12:02 PM, McLoofus said:

UnsungGrippingKatydid-size_restricted.gif

Must admit.  I haven't been this excited for an upcoming AU game in over a year....

giphy (1).giftenor.gif

tenor (1).gif

On 9/30/2019 at 5:24 PM, WFE12 said:

6 of their players are returning for the game. That's big.

Is it? How long have they been out. I would think it would be tough to start out the season with this game. I know they have been practicing, but if they have not been playing could it possibly hinder them until the rust is knocked off a bit? Where will these returning payers be impacting? offense or defense? I have not read much into them.

Im also not sold on the Swamp being much of a factor. Living here in Auburn, i have not seen an exodus like this in a long time for a non-championship game. We have tons of fans going and if College Station didnt phase us, well... we should be able to handle the swamp at 2:30pm.  

Archived