Au/Malzahn Relationship

doverstutts

and thought provoking analysis on the AU/Malzahn relationship. Dan Wolken and Paul Finebaum both say that the relationship has reached critical mass. I don't think that its that extreme yet, but it does stand in a position that massive patching up and becoming reacquainted  will be required. I don't think that is possible. Wolken writes about FSU making a push for him, a move that I don't see GM making due to the condition of the city of Tallahassee and the environment surrounding it. Finebaum was on WJOX and make a very good point: Gus may want out of the pressure cooker due to fans losing confidence in his ability( unwillingness) to adjust his offense by bringing in a established offensive mind to help.

For the first time, I think that its possible that AU will have a new coach next season. He may want to go somewhere and get a fresh start and could approach Sexton and just say "find me another job"....I think Finebaum has been told someting because he was dead serious and had none of his usual snide cackling. I guess we'll see, but I do think the silly season with coaches will involve Gus this year. I do not think the fans leaving was a protest. I think they got cold

• Replies 184
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It would be hilarious if FSU took him off our hands, but trust me when I say he would not fit in with the culture in Tallahassee. 

"Condition of the City of Tallahassee"?  Huh?  GM would fit in well here...the entire north side of town is practically South Georgia/South Alabama...big pickup trucks with bass fishing stickers and southern accents.  That said, the FSU fans I've talked to don't want him.

1 minute ago, WalkingCarpet said:

It would be hilarious if FSU took him off our hands, but trust me when I say he would not fit in with the culture in Tallahassee. 

He'd fit the culture of Tallahassee...not necessarily the culture of the university, though.  It's a city of extremes.

3 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

He'd fit the culture of Tallahassee...not necessarily the culture of the university, though.  It's a city of extremes.

6 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

"Condition of the City of Tallahassee"?  Huh?  GM would fit in well here...the entire north side of town is practically South Georgia/South Alabama...big pickup trucks with bass fishing stickers and southern accents.  That said, the FSU fans I've talked to don't want him.

I live in north Tallahassee and you're right about it, but FSU might as well be 100 miles away from here. There's a great many FSU students and government/admin types who live near FSU who would think Gus is some dumb hick who can't tie his own shoes.   

59 minutes ago, doverstutts said:

and thought provoking analysis on the AU/Malzahn relationship. Dan Wolken and Paul Finebaum both say that the relationship has reached critical mass. I don't think that its that extreme yet, but it does stand in a position that massive patching up and becoming reacquainted  will be required. I don't think that is possible. Wolken writes about FSU making a push for him, a move that I don't see GM making due to the condition of the city of Tallahassee and the environment surrounding it. Finebaum was on WJOX and make a very good point: Gus may want out of the pressure cooker due to fans losing confidence in his ability( unwillingness) to adjust his offense by bringing in a established offensive mind to help.

For the first time, I think that its possible that AU will have a new coach next season. He may want to go somewhere and get a fresh start and could approach Sexton and just say "find me another job"....I think Finebaum has been told someting because he was dead serious and had none of his usual snide cackling. I guess we'll see, but I do think the silly season with coaches will involve Gus this year. I do not think the fans leaving was a protest. I think they got cold

Gus is not leaving money on the table . Period . And no I don’t think FSU would buy him out. Maybe arkansas would’ve if he wouldn’t have burned bridges.

I hate FSU, but the city of Tallahassee is actually awesome in my opinion, especially with the growth of their Downtown. A friend of mine who’s an FSU alum & lives in Tally says they don’t want GM down there either.

4 minutes ago, DAG said:

Gus is not leaving money on the table . Period . And no I don’t think FSU would buy him out. Maybe arkansas would’ve if he wouldn’t have burned bridges.

Finebaum was talking of a sitdown negotiation concerning a mutual parting. I do see a possibility of that happening under the right circumstances

FSU is desperate and desperation causes you to do stupid things like hiring Gus as your football coach. Just not sure they are desperate enough to pay his buyout though. But could you imagine unloading him at full buyout? That would be worthy of giving whoever negotiates that a statue next to Cam.

Gus can win 9-10 games a year at an ACC school like FSU.     We would then probably schedule them and get beaten by him.   JABA.

On the radio this morning (97.7 out of Huntsville), they were discussing FSU going after Mark Stoops.  If that happened, would CGM be a good fit at Kentucky?  I think he would be - Kentucky just upgraded their facilities, I believe, and the pressure, while still SEC level, would be less. 

Someone correct me if wrong, but his extreme buyout is if we fire him without cause. His buyout to Auburn if he leaves on his own accord is extremely low I think, like around a million dollars or so.  I'm sure Auburn would be willing to waive that if he loses the last 2 big ones.

6 minutes ago, BJCrawford said:

I don’t care what finebaums face looks like, he just likes to stir the pot. 

That's all this is. Gus isn't leaving, and, barring a complete blowout by both UGA and Bama, he's not likely getting fired either. Maybe, if the fans raise enough stink, they'd let him go. But, if that happens, we'd look like Tennessee did last year, and would probably make a similar quality coaching hire to Pruitt.

I'd also argue that the fans speaking out are the ones that want him out. There's a sizable percentage of the family that is not really a fan of him being fired. Most of the Auburn fans I know personally are a little frustrated, but don't seem to be frustrated enough to want him out.

19 minutes ago, oracle79 said:

His buyout to Auburn if he leaves on his own accord is extremely low I think, like around a million dollars or so.  

Sorry...wish you were correct.  The amount this year is $7 million and drops to $5 million next year. 

1 hour ago, WalkingCarpet said:

I live in north Tallahassee and you're right about it, but FSU might as well be 100 miles away from here.  

Sweet.  I live in midtown near Betton Place.  Lived here In TLH since I was born, except for my 5 years at AU in the late 90’s.  Do you get involve in the TLH Auburn club?

There are a couple of non-financial factors that complicate a possible decision to axe Gus.  AU now has an interim President and what now appears to be an AD who wants to be somewhere else.  I think those factors reduce the universe of likely HC candidates. Someone like Steele would probably be very glad to get the job.  I am fairly certain that other candidates would also like to have the job.  I am also fairly certain tht many other candidates would pass.  We just don’t have the best foot forward right now.  Crud. 

Finebaum is trash. He does everything he can to stoke the Auburn ''little brother'' mentality among both Auburn and Alabama fans. Is Gus's job tough...absolutely. Is it asking too much to have a guy Auburn hired as an ''offensive genius'' to actually deliver on that promise? I think not. Ask yourselves this.....what percent of big games against really good defenses has Gus's offense lead us to wins in? The numbers on that I guarantee you are bad, especially after 2014. Most of the big games we have lost were due to Gus's offense getting owned by opposing defensive coordinators. Whether it was scheme, execution, players, who gives a rip. It is what it is. That's what people are tired of. We hired an ''offensive genius'' and we got pre Bobby Bouche Coach Kline from The Waterboy. I'm so sick of Finebaum and other stupid money grubbing sheep sports writers acting like Auburn should just be so greatful we are even relevant. Their lazy and condescending journalism offends me. 

22 minutes ago, AUFriction said:

That's all this is. Gus isn't leaving, and, barring a complete blowout by both UGA and Bama, he's not likely getting fired either. Maybe, if the fans raise enough stink, they'd let him go. But, if that happens, we'd look like Tennessee did last year, and would probably make a similar quality coaching hire to Pruitt.

I'd also argue that the fans speaking out are the ones that want him out. There's a sizable percentage of the family that is not really a fan of him being fired. Most of the Auburn fans I know personally are a little frustrated, but don't seem to be frustrated enough to want him out.

I was just listening to morning sports and they think the idea is ludicrous “with the schedule we’ve played, 8-4 is good”before I get blasted for this being my opinion. It was Chris Doring. (Sp??). He basically thinks it’s bc we sit across the state from Alabama and want to be them. Again, I am repeating the comment.   I personally think we look a little silly talking about firing him now with our team ranked where we are. Just think it should be an end of season discussion if it needs to be had. Those saying “FSU was decisive in their decision” is comparing apples and oranges. At his worst, Malzahn has never been that bad.

54 minutes ago, Mike4AU said:

There are a couple of non-financial factors that complicate a possible decision to axe Gus.  AU now has an interim President and what now appears to be an AD who wants to be somewhere else. 

Please elaborate on this. I must be out of the loop on this one.

2 hours ago, BJCrawford said:

I was just listening to morning sports and they think the idea is ludicrous “with the schedule we’ve played, 8-4 is good”before I get blasted for this being my opinion. It was Chris Doring. (Sp??). He basically thinks it’s bc we sit across the state from Alabama and want to be them. Again, I am repeating the comment.   I personally think we look a little silly talking about firing him now with our team ranked where we are. Just think it should be an end of season discussion if it needs to be had. Those saying “FSU was decisive in their decision” is comparing apples and oranges. At his worst, Malzahn has never been that bad.

Please note, Chris Doering is a Gator and though he's okay, I don't mind him, like Matt Stinchcomb (thUga legend), they love to throw subtle shade at Auburn.   They HOPE Auburn keeps Gus, like LSU, bammer, etc.  You can take their AU takes with a grain of salt.

As for looking silly in the national perspective, who cares?  They're laughing at us anyway.  Not just at unhappy fans with an 8-4 coach, but many laugh at the fact we HAVE said 8-4 coach.  So, either way Auburn is looking foolish right now.  Just pick the side you'd rather appease.

And for those who DO think we look silly, ungrateful, jealous...whatever you want to choose...  They are not Auburn fans who pay close attention to each and every aspect of each and every game.  They don't "live & breathe" O&B.  Many see nothing more than 30 second highlights on ESPN.  They don't see the intricacies of mistakes, bad prep, bad personnel usage, dubious play calling, poor situational awareness of the HC, etc.  So they have NO CLUE. 

I don't care about their opinions unless they're talking about how great Auburn is doing and worshipping our team's achievements....you know, like 2010 when all they wanted to talk about was Cam Newton.  Oh wait, they didn't talk about Cam leading Auburn to victory...but that AU had to cheat to get him.  Bottom line, we shouldn't be worried about national perception.   Just want the PTB to make good decisions. 

Archived