Pat Dye on F-Bomb

Mikey

First off, the only time I watch Pawwwl is on the Monday after AU wins an Iron Bowl, so I'm not a regular viewer. However, Dye had a segment on there Monday that was interesting.

He had some nice comments about Pat Sullivan and his family. Then he got down to football.

Dye says we have a national championship quality QB on the team, we just need to surround him with good people. Mentioned Nix's current string of 167 passes without an interception which is amazing for anyone, let alone a freshman.

He said the defensive staff, current players and incoming recruits are already NC quality.

The program is on the tracks and heading in the right direction if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot. Pawl asked about Auburn being self-destructive from time to time. Dye said it's because people care too much. "Every time just one hair gets out of place, too many people want to jump in and "help"." He compared it to a person raising two kids and then grandma and brother and others want to jump in a make changes when the parent is doing a perfectly fine job. He said he had to put up with it, Tommy (Tuberville) had to put up with it and now Malzahn is having to deal with it.

Dye said every member of the Auburn family, be it fat cat donor, student or or just people supporting the team as best they can should get behind the program and pull together like a family should. He said the baseball team was in the College World Series, the basketball team was in the Final Four and football can get there too if we'll be supportive and pull together.

I haven't always agreed with Pat Dye, but on F-Bomb's show Monday he was spot-on.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

baseball and basketball both have really good coaches, football not so much, the fans are supportive of all sports but the pulling together is just another excuse for an 8-5 coach being paid at a championship level without the results.

5 hours ago, eaglenest said:

baseball and basketball both have really good coaches, football not so much, the fans are supportive of all sports but the pulling together is just another excuse for an 8-5 coach being paid at a championship level without the results.

Troll

5 hours ago, eaglenest said:

You do know we are at 9 wins correct?

7 hours ago, eaglenest said:

Your attitude is a perfect example of what he was talking about eliminating.

9 hours ago, Mikey said:

First off, the only time I watch Pawwwl is on the Monday after AU wins an Iron Bowl, so I'm not a regular viewer. However, Dye had a segment on there Monday that was interesting.

He had some nice comments about Pat Sullivan and his family. Then he got down to football.

Dye says we have a national championship quality QB on the team, we just need to surround him with good people. Mentioned Nix's current string of 167 passes without an interception which is amazing for anyone, let alone a freshman.

He said the defensive staff, current players and incoming recruits are already NC quality.

The program is on the tracks and heading in the right direction if we don't shoot ourselves in the foot. Pawl asked about Auburn being self-destructive from time to time. Dye said it's because people care too much. "Every time just one hair gets out of place, too many people want to jump in and "help"." He compared it to a person raising two kids and then grandma and brother and others want to jump in a make changes when the parent is doing a perfectly fine job. He said he had to put up with it, Tommy (Tuberville) had to put up with it and now Malzahn is having to deal with it.

Dye said every member of the Auburn family, be it fat cat donor, student or or just people supporting the team as best they can should get behind the program and pull together like a family should. He said the baseball team was in the College World Series, the basketball team was in the Final Four and football can get there too if we'll be supportive and pull together.

I haven't always agreed with Pat Dye, but on F-Bomb's show Monday he was spot-on.

"He said the defensive staff, current players and incoming recruits are already NC quality."

So nothing about the offense?  Really? That's some endorsement.  

I think this is where the loss of patience with Gus comes in.  Stats below...not sure we can win the conference; much less compete for playoff spots with an offense that rushes for ~200 yds per game (average 5th in the SEC pack under Gus) and only passes for 200 per game (where we've averaged 93rd in the NCAA).   The math won't get you there.  I see or hear nothing from Gus that would lead me to believe this is going to change.  Do you guys have some inside info to share?  I can be convinced.  I'd love to believe it; I'm an optimist after all.  But, thank heavens for 2 pick sixes (and that defensive staff Dye spoke of) or we'd be talking about wasted point opportunities (again) and having to kick too many field goals (again) in another loss.  

Yards rushing per game by season (SEC rank and national rank)

2013: 328.3 (1st, 1st)

2014: 255.5 (2nd, 13th)

2015: 196.4 (5th, 35th)

2016: 271.3 (1st, 6th)

2017: 218.3 (4th, 26th)

2018: 163.8 (12th, 78th)

2019: 210 (can't determine ranking but looks to be in the top 40 in NCAA)

Passing stats:

2013: 173.0 (11th, 106th)

2014: 229.5 (7th, 66th)

2015: 173.6 (12th, 110th)

2016: 169.5 (14th, 112th)

2017: 233.4 (5th, 65th)

2018: 200.3 (10th, 96th)

2019: we are ~200 per game again and we look to be about 60th in the NCAA

10 hours ago, eaglenest said:

(9-3) = (8-5)

I know Pat Dye’s old but he was looking really old at the Iron Bowl.   I don’t disagree with anything he said.  I’m not old enough to speak of Coach Dye’s tenure but every coach since Bowden has had to deal with threats of being fired every year from someone.  People look back at Tubs time fondly but other than 04-05 it was who are we gonna replace Tubs with.  It’s very similar to what’s going on with Gus.  Gus is an Oline coach/recruiter away from being a top 5 coach in the country.

Dye mentioned he had to deal with meddlers, Tubs had to and Malzhan has to do the same.  Who are the meddlers that want to interject their opinions to the HC that think they know better than the HC of how to run a program?  

i.e. "Every time just one hair gets out of place, too many people want to jump in and "help". 

Apparently the BOT has turned over, so who are these new meddlers at Auburn today?  I'd personally like a name or two thrown out there, expose the meddlers and they'll think twice about shoving their "help" around.

23 minutes ago, keesler said:

Dye mentioned he had to deal with meddlers, Tubs had to and Malzhan has to do the same.  Who are the meddlers that want to interject their opinions to the HC that think they know better than the HC of how to run a program?  

i.e. "Every time just one hair gets out of place, too many people want to jump in and "help". 

Apparently the BOT has turned over, so who are these new meddlers at Auburn today?  I'd personally like a name or two thrown out there, expose the meddlers and they'll think twice about shoving their "help" around.

Lowder>Raines

11 hours ago, keesler said:

Who are the meddlers that want to interject their opinions to the HC that think they know better than the HC of how to run a program?  

That would be the ones that demanded that Gus get rid of Lashlee when he didn't want to and make other moves he didn't like under the guise of "getting him some help". Finally, this year Gus has  taken the wheel and is able to tell anyone that doesn't like it to lump it.

Something tells me there is a new Cook in the kitchen and his influence will grow in the future. His approach may not agree with the meddelers or the negative and more on stability and all rowing in the same direction ala Dye's POV.

On 12/5/2019 at 12:26 AM, eaglenest said:

8-5 coach with 9 wins currently and a shot at 10 wins vs probably the toughest schedule in the country. His team is ranked 11th in the country and could move higher after this weekend. Got it. This on a post about Pat Dye saying everyone should get behind Gus and the program and pull together. I can almost hear Bill Engvall saying "Here's your sign".

Sorry, but I have to Respectfully disagree. Gus still hasn’t beaten a rival away from JH, he beat a bad Bama defense by a FG at home without their starting QB, and this was our year to do it, yet we have 3 losses. 

One game neither makes nor breaks a coach, but we have one that is consistently mediocre. I’ll take the win and be happy, but to suggest that we “meddle“ is absurd. We are stuck here, for better or for worse. Some of us are just not as excited about it. 

14 minutes ago, passthebiscuits said:

Sorry, but I have to Respectfully disagree. Gus still hasn’t beaten a rival away from JH, he beat a bad Bama defense by a FG at home without their starting QB, and this was our year to do it, yet we have 3 losses. 

One game neither makes nor breaks a coach, but we have one that is consistently mediocre. I’ll take the win and be happy, but to suggest that we “meddle“ is absurd. We are stuck here, for better or for worse. Some of us are just not as excited about it. 

Whatever happened to all that smoke that was boiling up the week before Thanksgiving about Kevin Steele?  IIRC, you and WDEWDE had heard some serious stuff going on behind the scenes.

17 minutes ago, keesler said:

Whatever happened to all that smoke that was boiling up the week before Thanksgiving about Kevin Steele?  IIRC, you and WDEWDE had heard some serious stuff going on behind the scenes.

He gave up 45 points, so he’s not an option anymore.

Are people forgetting we got TWO TDs from our defense? Bama's D has not been good and we still needed 2 non-offensive TDs to win that one. That is not sustainable. 

On 12/5/2019 at 9:13 AM, keesler said:

Dye mentioned he had to deal with meddlers, Tubs had to and Malzhan has to do the same. 

Wasn't Dye the PRIMARY meddler in the Tubbs years? Tubbs banned the guy from the complex, no?

21 hours ago, rophle said:

He gave up 45 points, so he’s not an option anymore.

20 hours ago, Tiger said:

Are people forgetting we got TWO TDs from our defense? Bama's D has not been good and we still needed 2 non-offensive TDs to win that one. That is not sustainable. 

...and our special teams gave up 7 points. 

So Kevin Steele and his defense lost the game 38-14. Why haven't we fired him yet. SMDH.

48 minutes ago, keesler said:

It (as well as every other possible replacement for Gus) was mostly predicated on Auburn losing the Iron Bowl and again looking weak on offense doing it.  When that didn't happen, Gus coming back was pretty much inevitable.

I’m not Gus defender by any means and was completely done with him after UGA but some of these posts are just ridiculous. Facts are facts, no other coach has had this much success against Saban and if we had bammers schedule we’d like be in the playoffs right now. Use whatever excuse you want, we beat Bama with a true freshman QB, something that has never been done. 

1 minute ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I’m not Gus defender by any means and was completely done with him after UGA but some of these posts are just ridiculous. Facts are facts, no other coach has had this much success against Saban and if we had bammers schedule we’d like be in the playoffs right now. Use whatever excuse you want, we beat Bama with a true freshman QB, something that has never been done. 

Perfect . So if he was able to do that against Bama with a freshman QB, I am going to be expecting big things in the future .

Archived