Who does Auburn close with for the 2020 class?

gc2525

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply
49 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

I will go with 

Frazier, Jones, Butler, Burks, McGuire. 

We can only sign 4 more. It would be a surprise if McGuire accepted a walk on offer. Given his mediocre punt average I don't see a scenario where AU offers him a scholly.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

We can only sign 4 more. It would be a surprise if McGuire accepted a walk on offer. Given his mediocre punt average I don't see a scenario where AU offers him a scholly.

Are we sure we know the real #?

McGuire could be the 4th if only 4 and we miss on one of the previous I mentioned.  

3 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Yes. I posted in one of these threads Mark Murphy told me at a recent basketball game that it's a hard 27. He's about a good of a source as it gets on such things.

4 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

McGuire could be the 4th if only 4 and we miss on one of the previous I mentioned.  

Again we need a punter. Mcguire is not a punter with his pedestrian 37 yard average. Solid kicker but we aren't in the market for a kicker right now. I think we take the Troy transfer punter a good ways before we would take McGuire.

1 hour ago, The Plainsman said:

I track this stuff pretty closely, year to year to year. I've had 27 as the number since the '19 class was finalized.

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

McGuire has full offers from other schools so I don't see him taking a Preferred walk on offer. Although he is a huge Auburn fan. To bad really he is a real weapon at place kicker.

Is the Abrams-Draine kid in Alabama a possibility?  Saw where he de-committed from Ole Miss.  We were not listed so assume one of the parties is not interested.  

24 minutes ago, casatiger said:

Is the Abrams-Draine kid in Alabama a possibility?  Saw where he de-committed from Ole Miss.  We were not listed so assume one of the parties is not interested.  

Isn’t he a WR? That’s the last thing we need 

43 minutes ago, casatiger said:

I had never heard of him so that should tell you something. Also we are pretty much done at WR.

I was feeling pretty good about turning Jones until I saw the tweet from him saying still committed I know we might get the visit this weekend and prior to that tweet I would have given us a high chance of changing to the good guys but with that tweet I now think it is about 70/30 dawgs even if we get him on Campus. I hope I am wrong. I have a good feeling about Frazer that would leave us two. If we don't get Jones I would like Frazer, Princely and the Punter from Troy. 

44 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I was feeling pretty good about turning Jones until I saw the tweet from him saying still committed

@AuburnNTexas It's ok to lose confidence if you want but don't let that tweet be the reason. He wasn't going to decommit after an OV there. More than likely it's a SOP tweet.

47 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

with that tweet I now think it is about 70/30 dawgs even if we get him on Campus.

I think you read way too much into that tweet. I'm not sure UGA leads but if they do it's likely no more than 55/45. FWIW AU people connected to the program are still confident.

9 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

I actually feel more confident with Jones than with Frazier strangely enough.  

Not strange. That much I know.

My opinion- which is based entirely off the information and other opinions offered in this forum- is that we are in fact much more in it for Jones.  He would have a very reasonable expectation of starting day 1, starting every game for 3 years, and getting drafted high in the 1st round. He could have those last 2 things anywhere, but maybe not the 1st. So for him it might just come down to feel and fit and all that. Similar to the superstars that Garner grabbed and groomed on the other side. 

On the other hand, there's not really any business reason Frazier should come here. We can say that we'll use TEs like a normal, functional offense all we want but a well-established history says otherwise and Gus is still the boss. And Frazier really needs to think about that. A TE is not like an OT or DL where he will more or less be featured the same wherever he goes. I mean, he might just love Auburn and/or have a strong connection to Morris, but it would be a big leap of faith for him to come here thinking he's going to run a lot of routes and catch a lot of balls. Again, just my opinion.

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Not strange. That much I know.

My opinion- which is based entirely off the information and other opinions offered in this forum- is that we are in fact much more in it for Jones.  He would have a very reasonable expectation of starting day 1, starting every game for 3 years, and getting drafted high in the 1st round. He could have those last 2 things anywhere, but maybe not the 1st. So for him it might just come down to feel and fit and all that. Similar to the superstars that Garner grabbed and groomed on the other side. 

On the other hand, there's not really any business reason Frazier should come here. We can say that we'll use TEs like a normal, functional offense all we want but a well-established history says otherwise and Gus is still the boss. And Frazier really needs to think about that. A TE is not like an OT or DL where he will more or less be featured the same wherever he goes. I mean, he might just love Auburn and/or have a strong connection to Morris, but it would be a big leap of faith for him to come here thinking he's going to run a lot of routes and catch a lot of balls. Again, just my opinion.

With Frazier it’s between us and Texas Tech tho. They aren’t using TE’s either so both teams probably have the same recruiting pitch. “We’ll use TE’s more once you’re here”

9 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

With Frazier it’s between us and Texas Tech tho. They aren’t using TE’s either so both teams probably have the same recruiting pitch. “We’ll use TE’s more once you’re here”

Fair, but they did throw for 1,300 yards more than we did last year. And that's pretty much the story on both schools. In any given season, they're probably going to throw for at least 1,000 yards more than us. So I'd say their pitch is a lot stronger since they at least have the pass attempts and yards to spread around. 

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

On the other hand, there's not really any business reason Frazier should come here.

Except Chad Morris is the OC & uses TEs extensively. I'm still Missouri too but I had a conversation with someone at the basketball game Saturday who has known Chad a very long time & still has a good relationship with him. He said Chad will have full control of the O & Chad would not have taken the AU OC job if he had anything less than full control & confidence it will remain that way.  FWIW I think the source is someone most of us trusts & respects.

33 minutes ago, Sizzle said:

Tech isn't the team they were under Klingsbury. They use their TEs & they had 36 catches this past season.

17 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Except Chad Morris is the OC & uses TEs extensively. I'm still Missouri too but I had a conversation with someone at the basketball game Saturday who has known Chad a very long time & still has a good relationship with him. He said Chad will have full control of the O & Chad would not have taken the AU OC job if he had anything less than full control & confidence it will remain that way.  FWIW I think the source is someone most of us trusts & respects.

Gus?

😎

The Prince, Jones, and Frazier would be an awesome close for a great recruiting class. This could be one of, if not, Gus' best class since he has been here.

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

Yes, these things have been said many, many times. I bet Gus even believes that Chad will have full control of the offense. Just like he believed Lindsey called the plays against LSU in 2017 and just like he believed he was going to run a normal offense against Clemson until a day or two before the game.

Archived