2020 3* C Dylan Cardwell Commits to AU!

GwillMac6

On 5/8/2020 at 11:49 PM, tigerbrotha12 said:

Cardwel dropped from 150 to 151 today. I don’t get rankings man. Nothing changed since he was 150 yesterday. What is this based off of??? 

@tigerbrotha12 No he didn't. He's still 150. He still will drop though. Rivals hasn't done their last rankings yet. When they do Eric Bossi says he's likely to drop out of the Rivals Top 150 but stay a 4* for them. There's really no need to sweat such insignificant changes.

38 minutes ago, ellitor said:

@tigerbrotha12 No he didn't. He's still 150. He still will drop though. Rivals hasn't done their last rankings yet. When they do Eric Bossi says he's likely to drop out of the Rivals. There's really no need to sweat such insignificant changes.

I know it’s odd, but when I checked this morning, his composite ranking was 151. Not sure what happened, but he had dropped this morning. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

@tigerbrotha12 No he didn't. He's still 150. He still will drop though. Rivals hasn't done their last rankings yet. When they do Eric Bossi says he's likely to drop out of the Rivals. There's really no need to sweat such insignificant changes.

Ranked pretty high to have not played in a year.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

8 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Ranked pretty high to have not played in a year.

Exactly. And for someone who only average four points a game at Oak Hill Academy and seven or eight points a game last summer at AAU ball on Sharife’s team.

"The Force is strong with this one."

6 hours ago, ellitor said:

Exactly. And for someone who only average four points a game at Oak Hill Academy and seven or eight points a game last summer at AAU ball on Sharife’s team.

So what ARE his strengths? Based on the limited HS and AAU stats, it's not scoring. 

36 minutes ago, steeleagle said:

So what ARE his strengths? Based on the limited HS and AAU stats, it's not scoring. 

Rebounding and shot blocking, it appears.

3 hours ago, steeleagle said:

Dude, you are missing the POTENTIAL! 6' 10" doesn't come along every day and if he doesn't work out he can transfer to a JUCO with little problem. All to gain and little to lose with this guy and he does sound like a great young man.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, steeleagle said:

27 minutes ago, Mikey said:

Dude, you are missing the POTENTIAL! 6' 10" doesn't come along every day and if he doesn't work out he can transfer to a JUCO with little problem. All to gain and little to lose with this guy and he does sound like a great young man.

Sharif is recruiting to win, not just hang with his buddies. He knows what he can contribute:

14 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Sharif is recruiting to win, not just hang with his buddies. He knows what he can contribute:

Let's hope so!

16 hours ago, TexasTiger said:

Dude seems to enjoy trading paint in the paint. I'm buying the passion and aggression bit. 

• Like 1

I realize this is a highlight film so we see shot blocking and dunks. No idea if he has any range but what I like about him is his height and how well he runs for a big man and great timing on his blocks and when he blocks his verticality.  Verticality is important as it cuts down on number of fouls. He grabs rebounds with both hands and seems to have strong hands. With Wiley gone we will have Thor, Dylan and Stretch at the 5 but I also see Thor playing a lot at the 4. Stretch plays hard but sometimes a little out of control making him foul prone and also does not have that much experience. While I don't think Cardwell will get lots of minutes I do believe he will be utilized a lot more than Stretch was this year.   I also think practicing with Sharife this past year will help with timing and team Chemistry and Sharife, Dylan and Cambridge have all played together some. 

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Dude seems to enjoy trading paint in the paint. I'm buying the passion and aggression bit. 

I see what you did there!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I realize this is a highlight film so we see shot blocking and dunks. No idea if he has any range but what I like about him is his height and how well he runs for a big man and great timing on his blocks and when he blocks his verticality.  Verticality is important as it cuts down on number of fouls. He grabs rebounds with both hands and seems to have strong hands. With Wiley gone we will have Thor, Dylan and Stretch at the 5 but I also see Thor playing a lot at the 4. Stretch plays hard but sometimes a little out of control making him foul prone and also does not have that much experience. While I don't think Cardwell will get lots of minutes I do believe he will be utilized a lot more than Stretch was this year.   I also think practicing with Sharife this past year will help with timing and team Chemistry and Sharife, Dylan and Cambridge have all played together some. 

It’s hard to imagine Thor will be ready to log meaningful minutes at the 5 this season. We are going to need Cardwell to play a little, even if Jaylin can slide down and play some at the 5. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

It’s hard to imagine Thor will be ready to log meaningful minutes at the 5 this season. We are going to need Cardwell to play a little, even if Jaylin can slide down and play some at the 5. 

Not sure if it will be at the 5 or 4 but barring poor performance Thor will log a lot of minutes in the coming season. In terms of raw talent he's the most talented guy on the roster right now. Before reclassifying he was a top 10 recruit in the 2021 class for a reason. On D he can defend the 1-4 at least & on O he can play inside or outside.

4 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Not sure if it will be at the 5 or 4 but barring poor performance Thor will log a lot of minutes in the coming season. In terms of raw talent he's the most talented guy on the roster right now. Before reclassifying he was a top 10 recruit in the 2021 class for a reason. On D he can defend the 1-4 at least & on O he can play inside or outside.

So you put his talent above Cooper?

JT at the 5 is one of those situations where you force the other team to adjust to you, and not vice versa. I think there were times Austin forced the opposing coach's hand, but JT? He has elite athleticism for a 4, running him against 5s is going to be a cheat code

That being said, I dont think he'll be starting at 5 most nights, at least not initially

20 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

So you put his talent above Cooper?

Raw talent no question. Question is how long will it take him to harvest it. Sharife is unquestionably #2 on roster in terms of raw talent.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, ellitor said:

Raw talent no question. Question is how long will it take him to harvest it. Sharife is unquestionably #2 on roster in terms of raw talent.

Seems like Cooper is more polished at the moment, but Thor has the highest ceiling. 

I think Cooper will be a great college point guard. I’m interested to see what he develops into as a pro prospect given his stature/athleticism. Even if he doesn’t become Chris Paul (his 247 comp), I think he could be our Jalen Brunson or similar, and that’s a fantastic outcome. 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Mikey said:

Dude2.

I didn't say  I didn't want him. Just wondering where Pearl thinks his strengths are...lol. 

On 5/10/2020 at 12:42 PM, steeleagle said:

From what I gather, one thing that hasn't been mentioned regarding Cardwell's strengths is his hustle. Having a 5 who busts his tail up and down the floor is a big deal.

7 hours ago, Dunndone414 said:

Seems like Cooper is more polished at the moment, but Thor has the highest ceiling. 

I think Cooper will be a great college point guard. I’m interested to see what he develops into as a pro prospect given his stature/athleticism. Even if he doesn’t become Chris Paul (his 247 comp), I think he could be our Jalen Brunson or similar, and that’s a fantastic outcome. 

Jalen Brunson feels way more accurate. Really any of those super smart, physically limited recent PG greats. A Cassius Winston if you will (probably not as good defensively, but prob a better facilitator too, but similar make up as a player)

Someone like CP3 and Kyle Flabry are in a different lane bc they are so stout even though they're small. They're compact. And they're smart as hell on D

On 5/11/2020 at 5:33 PM, Rednilla said:

From what I gather, one thing that hasn't been mentioned regarding Cardwell's strengths is his hustle. Having a 5 who busts his tail up and down the floor is a big deal.

Yes he does. He is an athletic dunking and blocking machine. Put 30 pounds of muscle on him like Wiley did and we might have a beast on our hands.

• Like 2

I like how the kid presents himself: nothing personal, just business. 

On 5/12/2020 at 11:49 PM, IronMan70 said:

Yes he does. He is an athletic dunking and blocking machine. Put 30 pounds of muscle on him like Wiley did and we might have a beast on our hands.

Agree! Not even sure if he needs a full 30 pounds. I'd be happy with 15 to 20.